Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

James Milner Player Thread (M) (Liverpool > Brighton & HA)

Read 206972 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: James Milner Player Thread
      Reply #184: Aug 07, 2015 02:53:34 pm
      Something we all knew anyway but it's been officially confirmed today...

James Carroll ‏@James_Carroll84  · 21m21 minutes ago 
      Brendan Rodgers has just confirmed James Milner as #LFC's new vice-captain.

Fantastic move. 
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #185: Aug 07, 2015 03:02:05 pm

Agreed.
      His experience will help us a lot, and also help Henderson a lot as well in his new role.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #186: Aug 07, 2015 03:09:10 pm
      Agreed.
      His experience will help us a lot, and also help Henderson a lot as well in his new role.

And hopefully others will look to him and think, so these are the things you have to do if you want to win titles.  We don't have enough of those role models in the squad.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #187: Aug 07, 2015 04:03:53 pm
      Goodluck and shows us the way to the title now :)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #188: Aug 07, 2015 06:30:21 pm
      By the looks of it, I'm probably one of a minority that doesn't agree with Milner being made vice captain.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #189: Aug 07, 2015 06:48:15 pm
      By the looks of it, I'm probably one of a minority that doesn't agree with Milner being made vice captain.

I don't agree either...I feel he should have been made Captain.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #190: Aug 07, 2015 07:12:08 pm
      I don't agree either...I feel he should have been made Captain.

;D

Not what 7KK7 is thinking I guess FL.

Good move from my point of view and don't really see a downside.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #191: Aug 07, 2015 07:31:06 pm
      I know he's just joined but he was the clear standout candidate IMO.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #192: Aug 07, 2015 07:44:01 pm
      A wise move by Rodgers. If he'd given it to someone like Skrtel it would have been akin to giving Mr Blobby the nuclear code.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #193: Aug 07, 2015 08:54:04 pm
      Dont think there was any doubt about him getting it ,  wasnt too fussed in the beginning but stepping back and being realistic , he is the only one in the team who knows what it takes to win , good luck with it hope a few more at least put the effort in that you do .
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #194: Aug 07, 2015 09:22:39 pm
      Good move from my point of view and don't really see a downside.

I thought he was a viable candidate for captain and think he'll make an excellent vice captain. I did however see a downside and that was the lack of options we had at the club made this almost pick itself. It's not a common occurrence for us that players come in and assume such a senior role within the squad / dressing room, of course we've had the luxury of Stevie to carry the weight of that armband but still it was quite alarming how few realistic candidates we had for these roles.

At least now with the likes of Milner/Benteke/Firmino coming into the side we do have a bit of strength both mentally and physically that will hopefully give us that extra bit of steel we've quite clearly lacked when teams come to bully us.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #195: Aug 08, 2015 07:45:05 am

No I'm with you. Don't see how any player at a club 2 months could be made vice captain.

It does prove what many of us gave thought and said there is a huge lack of leaders in that squad.

It's not a huge issue unless certain players get the hump over it.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #196: Aug 08, 2015 08:08:12 am
      Ron Yeats was made Liverpool Captain after only half a season, so I suppose being made vice captain so quickly is not so out of place? Especially as we don't seem to be overburdened with leaders. He seems quite vocal from the little we have seen of him since he arrived, hopefully he will wake a few players up when they need it.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #197: Aug 08, 2015 08:55:36 am
      No I'm with you. Don't see how any player at a club 2 months could be made vice captain.

It does prove what many of us gave thought and said there is a huge lack of leaders in that squad.

It's not a huge issue unless certain players get the hump over it.

Well those players best get a grip and man up because 90% of them have never shown any leadership qualities on the pitch. I have no problem with Milner being made vice-captain, he's a better candidate than the likes of Skrtel who just stands and points all day. You could hear Milner communicating with players, directing them, praising them etc. in a couple of the friendlies in pre-season, that's what we need on the pitch. I never knew that one of the criteria for being eligible to be vice-captain was that you had to be at the club for a while. This happens all the time.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #198: Aug 08, 2015 10:39:59 am

Why not Bri?

I said at the end of last season that I wanted us to buy a couple of players who would walk into our dressing room and believe they were better that what they seen when they arrived and had a bit of presence and swagger.

If Milner has shown he has the quality to get the nod then I'm all for it.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #199: Aug 08, 2015 11:01:31 am
      @ mcarz I'm in full agreement with your post

@ Si. I suppose my main issue is what mcarz alluded to. If a lad comes in and his made vice captain in 2 months it says more about the lack of leaders in our dressing room then it does about Milner. Lucas Skrtel, Toure even Allen should have been in the frame but none have shown they have it in them. Look Milner could be an inspired choice I just feel if we're serious we should have more leaders in the squad who have been here a season or 2 or longer

It's a side issue on with the football
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #200: Aug 08, 2015 11:10:44 am
      Looking at the squad, I can't help but feel he is the obvious choice.  The only one who was even close, for me, was Lucas and he doesn't need the armband to act like a captain. 
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #201: Aug 08, 2015 02:18:40 pm
      Good decision IMO.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #202: Aug 25, 2015 12:50:04 pm
      Did very well in his first game as Liverpool captain, particularly in the first half when he was everywhere, working really hard to regain possession in the attacking half and getting involved in some nice plays with Coutinho and Firmino. I've always been a fan of the guy and performances like last night are encouraging.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #203: Aug 25, 2015 02:24:21 pm
      Did very well in his first game as Liverpool captain, particularly in the first half when he was everywhere, working really hard to regain possession in the attacking half and getting involved in some nice plays with Coutinho and Firmino. I've always been a fan of the guy and performances like last night are encouraging.

Agree. Milner was very good last night and will prove to be one of our most important players this season.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #204: Aug 25, 2015 02:32:55 pm

Great professional. Never going to score the worldies like Stevie G, but gives the team great balance and industry. Wicked signing.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #205: Aug 25, 2015 03:22:46 pm
      great game last night.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #206: Sep 08, 2015 08:14:51 pm
      Did we really try to replace one of our best if not the best ever player with james Milner on a free. Just watching England at the moment he is just woeful.

Quick Reply