Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 173704 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #115: Jul 21, 2015 11:54:43 am
      So Joe has played ok against a couple of pub teams, great idea lets throw him in the Lions Den.

Don't see how sending him round to Borini's house will help?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4412 
      Reply #116: Jul 21, 2015 11:55:35 am
      Don't see how sending him round to Borini's house will help?
      ;D

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #117: Jul 28, 2015 01:31:58 pm
      what a little player we have on our hands credit to the back room for getting him. Without sounding stupid i would play him over Lovren any day of the week and would even start him in at LB over Moreno from what we've seen so far. he seems composed on the ball similar to Ilori so them two could be massive for us in the future if we keep them and stick with them.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #118: Aug 02, 2015 02:04:07 am
      3.5M on this "potential".  :f_tongueincheek: 8)
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #119: Aug 02, 2015 10:11:55 am
      Looked very comfortable again yesterday. Just harking back to the lack of quality of our opposition again (I know the debate has raged on in a few different threads). This lad really looks the part and I would start him next week at Stoke BUT had we played a couple of half-decent sides in the pre-season then the manager could have taken a look at him one on one against a couple of quality wingers and be in a better position to make that judgement.

Playing quality pre-season opposition isn't just about playing better teams (and begin able to judge form off the back of that) it is also about the form of individual players, particularly the new signings.

Never less I'd start the lad at Stoke next week. I like the balance he will give our back four. We have Clyne bombing forward and overlapping, Gomez (if he plays) is more likely to support his winger from a deeper position (rather than getting beyond him) which will give us a bit of much needed defensive solidity.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #120: Aug 03, 2015 10:52:43 pm
      Looks like he's going to start at Stoke ahead of Moreno.

There is a god.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #121: Aug 03, 2015 11:42:50 pm
      Seems as if he's super impressing the management - hopefulyl we've unearthed a gem. Quite a rapid rise for the lad - but in reality, it's no surprise. He's a smart guy who speaks very well and evidently works really hard.

Continue what he's doing and he could be a firm favourite with the fans. So far, he's made as good an impression as you can make.
      dflfc1
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts | 18 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6407 
      Reply #123: Aug 04, 2015 01:11:09 am

Freaking love this kid already. Hope he gets his chance and if he does, hope he grabs it and takes off with it.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #124: Aug 04, 2015 08:39:34 am
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #125: Aug 04, 2015 08:47:28 am
      Freaking love this kid already. Hope he gets his chance and if he does, hope he grabs it and takes off with it.

Same here mate. Great when a player comes in with low expectations from the supporters, surprises everyone and really grabs their chance.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #126: Aug 04, 2015 09:08:14 am
      A certain Mario Balotelli could do with looking at this lad and giving his head a wobble.
      Great attitude for a young man to have.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #127: Aug 04, 2015 02:30:09 pm
      Good for Gomez! Really looking forward to seeing how he copes with Premier League football as he looked brilliant and composed during preseason.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,614 posts | 752 
      Reply #128: Aug 04, 2015 03:04:31 pm
      shouldn't play left back. Attacking wise he always cuts inside because he is mostly right footed. If anything should be back up right back.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,577 posts | 1805 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #129: Aug 04, 2015 03:08:06 pm
      shouldn't play left back. Attacking wise he always cuts inside because he is mostly right footed. If anything should be back up right back.

A certain legend Carra, played LB, RB, CM until he settled at CB. Don't knock it for young CB's to play all positions, and play them well.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,614 posts | 752 
      Reply #130: Aug 04, 2015 05:55:23 pm
      A certain legend Carra, played LB, RB, CM until he settled at CB. Don't knock it for young CB's to play all positions, and play them well.

Cara was terrible a left back too. Just makeshift for emergencies. Gomez has come in and been put there right away. Sorta makes no sense to me. I get that it can make him a good player in the long run though.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #131: Aug 04, 2015 08:13:16 pm

Worked out alright for Lahm.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #132: Aug 04, 2015 11:17:57 pm

Maldini as well!

I have the same concerns as PastorGeek and wary of his attacking play, but ultimately, the most important aspect is his defensive game, so if it's better than Moreno's, I will be happy!
      Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #133: Aug 05, 2015 10:40:58 am

Yep, and funnily enough young Flanno has looked better at LB than on his more favoured RB slot. Given that we like to play a possession game it is no problem that he is looking to play the ball inside to the likes of Coutinho, Firmino , Milner etc. Also, we know that Clyne will be getting forward at every opportunity so I would much prefer to have a left back who is a little more stable defensively and one who doesn't push on quite so much (in terms of overlaps) as it will give us a bit more defensive solidity. Given our defensive record the. Thought of playing with Moreno and Clyne at full back gives me nightmares.
      Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #134: Aug 05, 2015 10:50:03 am
      Cara was terrible a left back too. Just makeshift for emergencies. Gomez has come in and been put there right away. Sorta makes no sense to me. I get that it can make him a good player in the long run though.

Absolute nonsense. This make-shift terrible left-back played the position for the entire 2000-01 season. I don't know if you followed the team then but we won the FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup that year not to mention finishing 3rd in the league. I'm pretty sure the team didn't achieve this despite Carra. He might have had his limitations as an attacking full-back but as a defender he was first class at either full-back position. We could certainly use the 2000-01 Carra to come in and play left-back for us this coming season. We could use a PROPER defender in there given our poor defensive record and the way we play under Brendan. It's only pre-season but already this kid Gomez looks a better defender than Moreno and for that reason alone he gets the nod for me, no matter what foot he prefers to use. Moreno is actually more one-footed than Riise was and we saw last year that if you got off his angles he doesn't know what to do with the ball.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #135: Aug 05, 2015 10:56:08 am
      Cara was terrible a left back too.

Do your homework.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #136: Aug 05, 2015 02:16:18 pm
      Flanagan looked alright as a right-footed LB a few years ago.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #137: Aug 05, 2015 03:18:34 pm

I was at matches where his own fans were booing him.
      That's how bad he was at times.

Does my homework pass? ;)

Quick Reply