Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 168866 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #391: Nov 15, 2017 11:15:35 am
      It's unfortunate for him that Clyne is injured or he could be playing centre back for us on a regular basis.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #392: Nov 15, 2017 12:45:13 pm
      Kept Neymar quiet - was tracking him further up the pitch as well but always had an eye on getting back into that defensive three.

Agree with the comment above - if Clyne was fit and playing then you would seriously consider that Gomez and Matip would be our centre-halves.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #393: Nov 15, 2017 02:09:24 pm
      Kept Neymar quiet - was tracking him further up the pitch as well but always had an eye on getting back into that defensive three.

Agree with the comment above - if Clyne was fit and playing then you would seriously consider that Gomez and Matip would be our centre-halves.

I'd have no problems at all with that.
      IMO the sooner he starts regularly at CB, the sooner we will see the player we all hope/think he can be.

Inevitably, he will make mistakes, but young players do that, especially in defense.

I didn't see the match, but great to read he did well.
      The sky's the limit for him if he can carry on his progression.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #394: Nov 15, 2017 02:12:01 pm

Don't we have TAA who can play at RB?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #395: Nov 15, 2017 04:26:23 pm

The inference would be that TAA and Gomez wouldn't play together as it would be very inexperienced.
      Which would make sense.
      JackSparrow
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #396: Nov 16, 2017 08:29:13 am
      The inference would be that TAA and Gomez wouldn't play together as it would be very inexperienced.
      Which would make sense.
      that's the reason we never change, too anxious to change anything. Do we want to keep selecting the same failure like a fly going into a light? Or isn't it about time we actually tried some talented youth? Watching England at the weekend against full strength Germany and Brazil made it clear young players that are very capable are kept out of teams just out of not being given a chance, they can often do better than the regulars. TAA and Gomez can play together I am confident of that and I wouldn't be too chicken to try it.
      JackSparrow
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #397: Nov 16, 2017 08:30:52 am
      Yes we do. It would be the best solution right now. Forgot about age here it's quickly becoming a discrimination. They've proved themselves in my opinion.
      JackSparrow
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #398: Nov 16, 2017 08:33:38 am

is Clynne really better than TAA though?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #399: Nov 16, 2017 08:56:16 am
      is Clynne really better than TAA though?

I think we have missed Clynne defensively
      JackSparrow
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #400: Nov 16, 2017 09:32:46 am
      I think we have missed Clynne defensively
      Clynne divided opinion. I think TAA improved a lot. There's not a lot in it other than personal choice now. They're both options.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #401: Nov 16, 2017 10:57:23 am
      that's the reason we never change, too anxious to change anything. Do we want to keep selecting the same failure like a fly going into a light? Or isn't it about time we actually tried some talented youth? Watching England at the weekend against full strength Germany and Brazil made it clear young players that are very capable are kept out of teams just out of not being given a chance, they can often do better than the regulars. TAA and Gomez can play together I am confident of that and I wouldn't be too chicken to try it.

It's not being anxious about anything.
      It's about having the right mix on the field.
      We have the youngest squad in the League.
      In general the team also lacks leaders.

I'm all for giving young players getting opportunity
      but it shouldn't just be because then squad is waver thin.
      « Last Edit: Nov 17, 2017 10:57:40 am by racerx34 »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #402: Nov 16, 2017 11:11:06 am
      Which would make sense.

I'd rather have talented but inexperienced than experienced and sh*t.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #403: Nov 16, 2017 11:13:58 am
      I'd rather have talented but inexperienced than experienced and sh*t.

The suggestion was the when Clyne is fit Gomez would play inside.
      The argument was that TAA should replace Clyne.

Clyne is far from sh*t.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #404: Nov 16, 2017 11:25:57 am
      The suggestion was the when Clyne is fit Gomez would play inside.
      The argument was that TAA should replace Clyne.

Clyne is far from sh*t.

Was referring more to Lovren and Migs. I have no problem with Clyne, I think he's a good defender but I do think given a chance TAA will be even better
      JackSparrow
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #405: Nov 16, 2017 05:56:51 pm
      It's not being anxious about anything.
      It' about having the right mix on the field.
      We have the youngest squad in the League.
      In general the team also lacks leaders.

I'm all for giving young players getting opportunity
      but it shouldn't just be because then squad is waver thin.
      I see TAA and Clynne as interchangeable. No reason to have favouritism in either. If Clynne is priority in that position, when he's injured or needing rest because of schedule, we are weakened. I'd push for TAA to be regular there and Gomez will need to get in as CB, otherwise he'll go to a team that does play him at centre back. I can't understand why Lovren and Klaven should be ahead in the pecking order, they have not shown enough quality and it's either try Gomez to have a chance of improvement or continue with under par CB.
      « Last Edit: Nov 16, 2017 06:02:00 pm by JackSparrow »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #406: Nov 16, 2017 06:08:00 pm
      I see TAA and Clynne as interchangeable. No reason to have favouritism in either. If Clynne is priority in that position, when he's injured or needing rest because of schedule, we are weakened. I'd push for TAA to be regular there and Gomez will need to get in as CB, otherwise he'll go to a team that does play him at centre back. I can't understand why Lovren and Klaven should be ahead in the pecking order, they have not shown enough quality and it's either try Gomez to have a chance of improvement or continue with under par CB.

Outstanding talent he undoubtedly is BUT I don’t  think TAA is a full back - certainly not long term so whilst I appreciate the sentiment I have to say my regard for Clyne has grown in his absence.

Agree though about giving Joe more of a run at CB.....especially when Clyne is fit.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #407: Nov 16, 2017 07:00:41 pm
      Outstanding talent he undoubtedly is BUT I don’t  think TAA is a full back - certainly not long term so whilst I appreciate the sentiment I have to say my regard for Clyne has grown in his absence.

Agree though about giving Joe more of a run at CB.....especially when Clyne is fit.

Right up to the moment he makes a mistake (and he will) and the usual crowd start slating him, calling him a c**t, and saying "why the F**k does Klopp pick him, he's F***ing useless", all while conveniently forgetting that they had also been shouting for his inclusion.  ;)

I think he's a cracking prospect, but he'll make mistakes, and will need time and patience.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #408: Nov 17, 2017 12:23:35 pm
      Right up to the moment he makes a mistake (and he will) and the usual crowd start slating him, calling him a c**t, and saying "why the f**k does Klopp pick him, he's f**king useless", all while conveniently forgetting that they had also been shouting for his inclusion.  ;)

I think he's a cracking prospect, but he'll make mistakes, and will need time and patience.

Are you suggesting that Lovren and Klaven don't make mistakes? I think you'll find fans are much more understanding of youngsters making a few mistakes whilst they learn compared to playing the same sh*t older defenders week in week out who always make mistakes and never learn.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #409: Nov 17, 2017 03:40:51 pm
      Run at CB?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #410: Nov 17, 2017 06:30:41 pm

Not yet, for me at least.
      I'd prefer to see him get a few games in the early rounds of the cup first, and see how he gets on.

The reason is the goal against West Ham; it showed he's not quite savvy enough yet, because one little nudge stopped him from jumping for that cross, and he ended up getting beat all ends up.
      That type of thing is something only learned from experience, so that's why I'd throw him into the early cup rounds where he'll come up against very physical players.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #411: Nov 17, 2017 06:37:09 pm
      I didn't watch the game against Brazil but from what I heard England were pretty defensive and happy to draw. It's quite different to defend in that environment, deep and with a lot of protection in front of you, and in the system LFC normally plays. It's no surprise that Gomez looks far more error prone in that setting. He's a good young player but I'd be careful with him. That said part of me does want to see him given a chance over the usual suspects at the back.
      JackSparrow
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #412: Nov 17, 2017 08:08:26 pm
      I didn't watch the game against Brazil but from what I heard England were pretty defensive and happy to draw. It's quite different to defend in that environment, deep and with a lot of protection in front of you, and in the system LFC normally plays. It's no surprise that Gomez looks far more error prone in that setting. He's a good young player but I'd be careful with him. That said part of me does want to see him given a chance over the usual suspects at the back.
      The difference is Gomez was defending against the worlds best players. Please don't be offended, but to add technical elements to the difference is a fallacy. Football is football, Gomez was outstanding and easily deserved man of the match. If you watched the game you wouldn't have been mentioning about protection in front of him, Gomez saved Englands bacon all game.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #413: Nov 17, 2017 08:31:55 pm
      The difference is Gomez was defending against the worlds best players. Please don't be offended, but to add technical elements to the difference is a fallacy. Football is football, Gomez was outstanding and easily deserved man of the match. If you watched the game you wouldn't have been mentioning about protection in front of him, Gomez saved Englands bacon all game.

It's not a fallacy, there's a reason why the likes of Lescott looked much better for Everton than he ever did for Man City, for example, and that's due to the difference of how both teams played and defended. I haven't watched the game so it might be a wrong assessment of how England played, I'll surely give you that. That was just my perception based on what I heard about the match. Then again I still wouldn't overestimate a player based on a friendly performance.

Gomez is a good young player and weirdly enough for me his best moments for LFC so far have been as a left back under Rodgers. He was immense at the start of a season, but then injury took him out for a very long period. I hope he'll be the future of our defence, if anything because need it, but I'd be cautious with him and not extrapolate too much based on a pre-WC friendly. It does says a lot about England that they play to draw at home in a meaningless friendly as preparation for a major competition though.

Quick Reply