Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 168554 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #414: Nov 18, 2017 04:05:19 pm
      Don't we have TAA who can play at RB?

We do but it could get awkward in terms of cover for Trent if Gomez gets injured playing at CB on a frequent basis.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #415: Nov 21, 2017 10:18:49 pm
      I liked him today. Looked the 1 defender who stood up to counted in that second half today.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #416: Nov 21, 2017 10:30:35 pm
      I liked him today. Looked the 1 defender who stood up to counted in that second half today.

Yeah me too. I really think he did his duty defensively today and gave an excellent account of himself. Astonishingly I don't think Klavan and Lovren were terrible either. They held a good line all match and could not be blamed at all for two goals that were entirely down to Moreno. Some will point out Klavan's header out on the corner they equalised. Fair enough but can you look at it differently? Should someone have been preparing to clear on the edge of the box similar to Dele Alli's goal against us at Wembley.   
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #417: Nov 21, 2017 10:36:32 pm
      Yeah me too. I really think he did his duty defensively today and gave an excellent account of himself. Astonishingly I don't think Klavan and Lovren were terrible either. They held a good line all match and could not be blamed at all for two goals that were entirely down to Moreno. Some will point out Klavan's header out on the corner they equalised. Fair enough but can you look at it differently? Should someone have been preparing to clear on the edge of the box similar to Dele Alli's goal against us at Wembley.   

Yeah I think Lovren was skittish and kept giving them the ball back. Not helped by Henderson, who had an absolute nonsense of a game. Aye Klavan in an ideal world heads that to the half way line but there we go.

The way we set up on corners looks a bit odd to me but surely the coaches know better than me.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #418: Nov 21, 2017 11:06:52 pm
      Our best defender. End of.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,479 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #419: Nov 22, 2017 09:05:32 pm

I gave him MOTM :) thought he was really good, even though we crumbled, he was strong and got his tackles in.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #420: Nov 25, 2017 10:28:44 am
      Joe Gomez interview: They said Neymar would nutmeg me. It helped as it made me wary

Liverpool’s emerging star tells the story of his brilliant shackling of the Brazilian

By Paul Joyce

Gomez is making strides at Liverpool having made his England debut against Germany

The first thing that Joe Gomez did was write it all down. Every last bit there in black and white.

Under one heading, he scribbled the “pros” of going to the European Under-21 Championship with England last summer. There was the chance to chase glory, the exposure a major tournament would bring and the prospect of more football following a campaign in which he completed his return from a cruciate knee injury.

Next to that column came the “cons” of a month spent in Poland: a late return to pre-season training with Liverpool, slipping down the pecking order, a second successive summer without a break and, near the top, were the words “repercussions for England”.

Gomez read those lists over and again before arranging a meeting with Aidy Boothroyd, the under-21s’ coach, at a venue in Liverpool city centre. He knew what he was going to say by the time they got together, that focusing on the first day of next season would serve him better than prolonging 2016-17, but there was still a sense of trepidation as to any lasting ramifications for his future international prospects.

“It was a nerve-racking experience for me,” the defender says. “Before going to see Aidy I looked at my reasons and said to myself, ‘Do I really believe in this?’

“The repercussions of not going were a massive concern. I thought, ‘Will I get picked for England again?’ Not just the under-21s, but in the future.

“I have played for England all the way through [from under-16s] and I would never try and miss out on a camp or not go. My decision was literally based on my career and thinking, ‘Can I progress by not going? Should I go?’ I spent a lot of time thinking about it. It ran deep for me.

“We had a chat, one on one, and went through everything. I have so much respect for Aidy from that. He did want me to go, he tried to convince me, but he heard me out and understood.

“What I was asking, essentially, was to be left out because it was all about the bigger picture. At the time I was scared about what it might mean, but it gave me the chance to come back into pre-season on time and I got to play straight away in the games.”

The boldness of that thought process has proved the making of him. When, after forcing his way into Liverpool’s line-up, he made his senior England debut this month against Germany at Wembley, nullifying Neymar and Brazil a few days later, the very notion that his country might turn its back on him seemed ridiculous. Gomez has been vindicated for his decision not to go to Poland. The proof is irrefutable.

It is an episode that provides an insight into the 20-year-old’s strength of character as well as his focus, ambition and drive. Then there are also his values, instilled in him by his parents, Linda and Gus, which demanded that the Catford-born youngster sought out Boothroyd to explain himself rather than sending a cursory text message which is so often de rigueur these days.

Another story offers a further peek into Gomez’s attributes. This time it came after a summer spent winning with England at the Under-17 European Championship in Malta in 2014. He was anxious to push on with his boyhood club Charlton Athletic upon his return, having been voted defender of the tournament, and so, accompanied by his agent John Morris, held talks with the club’s manager Bob Peeters, a 6ft 5in Belgian.

“He is quite an intimidating guy,” Gomez says. “I don’t like causing trouble, or creating an issue, but at that time I knew this could be a turning point. I was young and wanted to get first-team football. I said: ‘I want to push on. What can I do? What do you want from me?’

“He said: ‘In pre-season come in and you will be with us. Then it is up to you.’

“If I didn’t get that chance I could have been in the under-23s system for a while and I probably wouldn’t be here now at Liverpool.”

Asking is one thing, yet central to Gomez’s rapid ascent has been his ability to seize the opportunity when it arrives. It was evident that season when he went on to make 24 first-team appearances, attracting interest from Arsenal and Manchester City as well as the Anfield chief scout Barry Hunter, who pushed for his £3.5 million signing.

It was also clear when he made his Liverpool debut aged 18 at left back on the opening day of the following campaign and in those sure-footed, recent performances under the arch.

Gomez says that he would not have been able to look at himself in the mirror had he, after pulling out of Boothroyd’s plans, escaped abroad for the entire summer and lived it up. He headed home to London instead.

Together with close friend Josh Umerah, who is on loan at Wycombe Wanderers from Charlton, they drew up a “very serious” training schedule. Some days were spent at the athletics track, some on the treadmill and others doing ball work.

“I wanted to make sure I was on point with everything,” Gomez says. “Everything. My girlfriend was making my food, weighing it, counting out the calories. I came back feeling fitter.”

JĂźrgen Klopp, the Liverpool manager, was the first to benefit and perhaps there should have been no real surprise when the England coach, Gareth Southgate, called up Gomez for those prestige friendly matches with the world champions and Brazil.

Southgate had worked with Gomez for the under-21s — it was in the game against Kazakhstan that the youngster suffered the knee injury that ruled him out for more than a year — and had the courage to turn to him when injury struck Phil Jones after 25 minutes against the Germans.

“When I saw Phil limping I thought either Keano [Michael Keane] or me is going to get the call to warm up, so my heart was racing a bit then,” Gomez says. “It was Keano, so I was like, ‘OK, it will be him’. Then Steve [Holland, the England assistant manager] said, ‘Joe, warm up’. I don’t think I even did a sprint before I was on. There wasn’t enough time to panic or get nervous.

“My family and friends were there and apparently my mum was screaming when she saw I was coming on. I didn’t expect to feature in the first game and then I thought, because I came on and played quite a lot, I wouldn’t play in the second game.”

His performance on the right of a three-man defence against Brazil proved a seamless step up in standard. Gomez has kept his first senior England jersey — he swapped a replica one with his Liverpool team-mate and Germany midfielder Emre Can — and plans to frame it on the wall of his home. However, a second souvenir, from his man-of-the-match display against Brazil, is no longer in his possession.

“The games were difficult because Germany and Brazil had so many runners,” he says. “There was so much movement that we had to keep a steady line and stay switched on.

“There was some banter before Brazil. Dom [Solanke] was bantering with me in the build-up, ‘Ah Joe’s going to get ’megged by Neymar. Don’t get’ megged’. Obviously in my head I am bantering back, but I was thinking, ‘This could be possible’. But that sort of helped me because I was wary going into the game, saying to myself, ‘Be defensive, be on your toes’.”

And his man-of-the-match champagne? There is a deep breath and a sheepish smile forms. “Because we were leaving straight after the game, I had my backpack, my suitcase, my bag with my boots, my wash bag and the bottle of champagne because it couldn’t fit in my backpack,” he said.

“At Wembley, there is a room where all the families are and as I was going through the door, it was kind of tight. I went to go sideways and the bottle started slipping. I tried to catch it but it smashed on the floor.

“It was in the worst place, right by the door and, as it has smashed, everyone in the room has turned to look at me. There were a few laughs.

“My family were sitting over at the back and didn’t see what happened. They were gutted. I have spoken to the liaison guy and I am going to get another one. I don’t drink, so it won’t be opened any time soon.”

Klopp has rotated Gomez and Trent Alexander-Arnold at right back, keeping the youngsters guessing as much as today’s opponents, Chelsea. Gomez started the Champions League draw against Seville on Tuesday, when a 3-0 half-time lead was eased from Liverpool’s grasp, and knows the manner in which the result was achieved brings unwanted attention.

“Nothing has to be said to us. We know,” Gomez says. “Everyone was gutted. We were all asking, ‘How did we let that happen?’

“It is not like we don’t care. We want to fix it as much as anyone. During the game we were all trying to calm it down and play football, but their support was phenomenal and we couldn’t get hold of the game.

“We have conceded from set pieces, which we have had a lot of scrutiny for. We beat ourselves up as much as anyone.”

While Liverpool are the priority, the World Cup is now surely the aim. “It is a dream,” he corrects. “My main focus is the game at the weekend because, if you are not playing for your club, then it is irrelevant what you did in the last camp.”

That in itself shows how far Gomez has come from those days, not so long ago when he harboured only doubts.

The Times

Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 1074 
      Reply #421: Nov 25, 2017 07:42:53 pm

There is no doubt about it. Great game. What I love most is he keeps his head about him after poor challenges and recovers nicely. The vets would do well to watch his defending and demeanor (I’m talking to you Moreno and Lovern)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #422: Nov 25, 2017 08:11:08 pm
      Can't wait for January, VVD and Gomez at CB!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #423: Nov 26, 2017 12:12:40 am
      Can't wait for January, VVD and Gomez at CB!

If only. Like the sound of it but I really can't see that happening.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,380 posts | 3387 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #424: Nov 26, 2017 12:20:22 am
      If only. Like the sound of it but I really can't see that happening.

Not sure if he is ready yer to play cb in a 4 imo, a 3 perhaps
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #425: Nov 26, 2017 12:26:14 am
      Not sure if he is ready yer to play cb in a 4 imo, a 3 perhaps

He can't do any worse than Lovren, Klavan and Matip IMO. Matip for all that he's meant to be good at, he's not impressing me one bit this season. He's just the best of the 3 so goes unnoticed.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #426: Dec 10, 2017 05:51:15 am
      Serious question;

How good could this lad be?
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #427: Dec 10, 2017 04:15:56 pm
      Despite the result, another tremendous game from the young lad. Looked very composed on the ball and so quick. I've no issue with moving him into CB now at the expense of Lovren (who should never play for us again).
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,891 posts | 815 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #428: Dec 10, 2017 04:19:18 pm
      Our best defender at the club right now, no one else is even close.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #429: Dec 10, 2017 04:21:04 pm
      His future is definitely at centre back. He's comfortable enough on the ball but doesn't offer that much from wide positions. Defensively though, he was superb.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 1074 
      Reply #430: Dec 10, 2017 04:24:59 pm
      His future is definitely at centre back. He's comfortable enough on the ball but doesn't offer that much from wide positions. Defensively though, he was superb.

MOTM for me
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #431: Dec 10, 2017 04:25:54 pm

I actually think you can see he thinks like a centre back Diego.

I noticed today that he was occasionally too narrow for too long in transition. In the first half I particular there were a few times he could’ve nicked the ball.

I think that comes from thinking / seeing the game like a centre back.

Good performance.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #432: Dec 10, 2017 04:46:10 pm
      Going to be a special player, so composed and comfortable, never looks fazed.

CB with VVD would be boss
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,979 posts | 511 
      Reply #433: Dec 10, 2017 04:59:25 pm
      Good performance today. Had a few problems with the offside trap earlier in the season, but that is hopefully being sorted with experience. His tackling is really good, and he's decent on the ball as well. Not sure if he's quite ready to go to CB, but may still be a better option there than Lovren. Not ideal to play him there before he's ready though -  don't want to set him back - so a tricky one for JĂźrgen.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #434: Dec 10, 2017 06:06:16 pm
      Damn! He's been good lately. Keep up the great work Joe! With TAA coming up alongside him we can expect some good years from these fellas.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,479 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #435: Dec 10, 2017 09:17:53 pm
      How good was Joe today. Didn't put a foot wrong. Keep it up !!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,533 posts | 3904 
      Reply #436: Dec 10, 2017 09:36:51 pm
      He’s very talented and a massive prospect.

I personally think he has already proved that he’s ready for the CB position.

Quick Reply