Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Rondon (Zenit Saint Petersburg)

Read 6152 times
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,739 posts | 158 
      Rondon (Zenit Saint Petersburg)
      Jun 21, 2015 08:40:09 pm
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/exclusive-liverpool-fc-eye-bacca-9498155

Exclusive: Liverpool FC eye Bacca and Rondon as alternatives to Benteke

LIVERPOOL have turned their attentions to South American duo Carlos Bacca and Salomon Rondon as they weigh up alternatives to Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke.

Belgium international Benteke was identified as the Reds’ No 1 attacking target this summer as manager Brendan Rodgers looks to add greater firepower to his squad.

However, Villa are adamant that Benteke will only be sold if a club triggers his £32million release clause and Liverpool have no intention of tabling that kind of offer.

The Reds value the 24-year-old frontman closer to £20million and are ready to walk away and pursue other options,

Colombia international Bacca and Venezuela attacker Rondon are among the names under consideration with both strikers currently in action at the Copa America in Chile.

Anfield staff are in attendance at the tournament and have been watching their contribution closely.

Bacca would be the more expensive option as the Sevilla striker, who scored 28 goals last season, would command a fee of around £20million.

The 28-year-old began his career with Atletico Junior in his homeland before moving to Europe when he signed for Belgian side Club Brugge in 2012.

An impressive haul of 28 goals led to him being named the Belgian League’s Player of the Year in 2013 and he was snapped up by Sevilla for 7million euros.

During his two seasons in Spain he has netted 49 goals in 108 appearances - including a match-winning double in last month’s Europa League final triumph over Dnipro in Warsaw.

Rondon plays in Russia for Zenit Saint Petersburg and the 25-year-old would cost around £15million.

The 25-year-old joined Spanish outfit Las Palmes from Venezuelan first division side Aragua FC in 2008 before moving on to Malaga two years later.

After scoring 27 goals in 72 appearances, he was bought by Rubin Kazan for 10million euros in 2012. In January 2014 he signed for Zenit Saint Petersburg and his 20-goal haul fired them to the title last season.

Rondon and Bacca came up against each other in the Copa America last week with Rondon grabbing the winner as Venezuela beat Colombia 1-0.

Bacca has also been making headlines as he was sent off after the final whistle following Colombia’s 1-0 win over Brazil and given a two-match ban.

He was involved in a melee after Neymar, who was banned for four matches, head-butted Colombia’s goalscorer Jeison Murillo. Bacca responded angrily by shoving the Barcelona star in the back.

The Anfield hierarchy believe both Rondon and Bacca would provide better value for money than paying £32million for Benteke.

Liverpool are also keeping close tabs on a third player at the Copa America - Hoffenheim midfielder Roberto Firmino. The Reds are considering a move for the Brazil international, who has also attracted interest from Manchester United.

Mod edit: Please ensure that the article is posted and not just the link.
      « Last Edit: Jun 21, 2015 10:21:41 pm by RedPuppy, Reason: Inserting article. »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Re: Rondon (Zenit Saint Petersburg)
      Reply #1: Jun 21, 2015 09:13:39 pm
      Ha ha it's clear to see with the sort of players we are being linked to that Rodgers wants a physical target man.

Lends credence to those who say he got lucky in 2013/14.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2: Jun 21, 2015 09:31:23 pm
      Ha ha it's clear to see with the sort of players we are being linked to that Rodgers wants a physical target man.

Lends credence to those who say he got lucky in 2013/14.

No it doesn't. It lends credence to the idea that there's a good chance he'll find it difficult to find a like for like replacement for Luis Suarez (and Daniel Sturridge too while he's injured) and that he's considering all options. That's all option as to who we sign AND how we play. 

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #3: Jun 21, 2015 09:41:05 pm
      No it doesn't. It lends credence to the idea that there's a good chance he'll find it difficult to find a like for like replacement for Luis Suarez (and Daniel Sturridge too while he's injured) and that he's considering all options. That's all option as to who we sign AND how we play. 

There is plenty of mobile pacy forwards  (Suarez like) but we are  constantly linked to target men, Benteke, Bacca, Rondon just like last season when Rodgers wanted Bony but his wages were deemed excessive.

So where is the evidence he wants to play the sort of football of 2013/14. It all suggests he wants to play like he did at Swansea and hence got lucky with the mad man at the club.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #4: Jun 21, 2015 09:43:13 pm
      There is plenty of mobile pacy forwards  (Suarez like) but we are  constantly linked to target men, Benteke, Bacca, Rondon just like last season when Rodgers wanted Bony but his wages were deemed excessive.

So where is the evidence he wants to play the sort of football of 2013/14. It all suggests he wants to play like he did at Swansea and hence got lucky with the mad man at the club.

Ah I didn't realise you wanted to have a full on "Rodgers got lucky when he nearly won the league" discussion mate, my apologies. If it's all the same with you I'll give it the swerve, my hunch is everything that either of us say will have been said many times before, and at the end of it all we'll both have the same opinions.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5: Jun 21, 2015 09:45:46 pm

Well because we've not had any of the players you listed on our books it suggests sweet F**k all doesn't it?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #6: Jun 21, 2015 09:51:26 pm
      Ah I didn't realise you wanted to have a full on "Rodgers got lucky when he nearly won the league" discussion mate, my apologies. If it's all the same with you I'll give it the swerve, my hunch is everything that either of us say will have been said many times before, and at the end of it all we'll both have the same opinions.

Fair enough mate, I was not trying to turn it into a Rodgers is useless debate.
      More looking ahead what may be our style of play.

Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #7: Jun 22, 2015 09:13:14 am
      Are we looking at Bacca OR Rondon? Doesn't make sense to get two target men isn't it? Really unsure on the style of play and team make-up for the coming season. We need a winger/AM if City meets Sterling's valuation and I really hope its Firmino.

Bacca AND Firmino from Sterling's fee (40mil) would be a pretty good deal.
      « Last Edit: Jun 22, 2015 09:34:08 am by Vicks86 »
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #8: Jun 22, 2015 10:02:42 am
      Are we looking at Bacca OR Rondon? Doesn't make sense to get two target men isn't it? Really unsure on the style of play and team make-up for the coming season. We need a winger/AM if City meets Sterling's valuation and I really hope its Firmino.

Bacca AND Firmino from Sterling's fee (40mil) would be a pretty good deal.

I've just read on Sky Sports that Bacca has a 12m release clause, not sure how true that is though.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #9: Jun 22, 2015 10:45:11 am
      Saw Rondon when he was at Malaga, boy knows where the net is but I don't know how he's developed in Russia.

I've just read on Sky Sports that Bacca has a 12m release clause, not sure how true that is though.

He has a €30m release clause mate so about £21m. Looks like Sky just jumbled the numbers. I'd still sign him at £21m though.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #10: Jun 22, 2015 12:14:15 pm
      Saw Rondon when he was at Malaga, boy knows where the net is but I don't know how he's developed in Russia.

He has a €30m release clause mate so about £21m. Looks like Sky just jumbled the numbers. I'd still sign him at £21m though.

I thought it was a bit low considering they also said he wouldn't come cheap. I'd sign him too.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #11: Jun 22, 2015 12:21:45 pm
      again a better option than Benteke who IMO will not suit are style of play as he's to static similar to Mario. This lad looks a bit more mobile
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #12: Jun 22, 2015 02:19:02 pm
      According to Squawka, 16 goals in 1528 minutes last season. That's around 1 goal per 90 minutes (to be more precise, 0.94 goals per 90 minutes), which is a higher scoring rate than Bacca's (0.71), Benteke's (0.49) and Aubameyang's (0.53). Obviously the fact he plays in Russia should be taken into account.

Personally I think he used to look good at Malaga but I don't watch Russian football so it's hard to tell how he's doing these days. He's a big (1.89m) and strong lad who's more in the mould of a Benteke than a Sturridge, and while it would be my preference to look for someone more similar to Sturridge (that's why I keep suggesting Aubameyang), it doesn't mean Rondon couldn't do a good work for us.

He had a low number of take ons though, even when compared with the likes of Benteke, which is not a very promising sign. Out of his 16 goals, 4 were with his left foot, 10 with his right and 2 were headers.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #13: Jun 22, 2015 06:41:01 pm
      Balotelli is a better option than this guy.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,623 posts | 759 
      Reply #14: Jun 22, 2015 07:07:16 pm
      i've never heard someone that's 5'11 (Bacca) called a 'target man'. Not even Les Ferdinand.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #15: Jun 22, 2015 07:57:20 pm
      And how pray tell do you come to this conclusion after Marios shocker of last season.
      And are you a avid watcher of Zenit?
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #16: Jun 23, 2015 06:49:19 am
      And how pray tell do you come to this conclusion after Marios shocker of last season.
      And are you a avid watcher of Zenit?

I watched Zenit in UCL/EL, he's decent, doesn't look at all like a player to score 20 goals a season here. Balotelli if he's used well could do that. Has more qualities than Rondon.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #17: Jun 25, 2015 05:50:18 pm
      Nope, not for me either this lad (although I like him more than Bacca after 90 seconds viewing). To be totally honest, I'd rather have Charlie Austin than Bacca or Rondon. That's not because I rate the QPR man incredibly highly, I just think he'd do better for us than either of those two. so would Benteke IMHO.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,623 posts | 759 
      Reply #18: Jun 25, 2015 06:00:05 pm
      Nope, not for me either this lad (although I like him more than Bacca after 90 seconds viewing). To be totally honest, I'd rather have Charlie Austin than Bacca or Rondon. That's not because I rate the QPR man incredibly highly, I just think he'd do better for us than either of those two. so would Benteke IMHO.

I think Charlie Austin is really good. People here hate him. Mostly cause he's english i think
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #19: Jun 25, 2015 11:00:06 pm
      Christ on a bike he can thump a ball can't he
      Bier
      Reply #20: Jun 26, 2015 03:42:29 pm
      3 years ago would have been the perfect time for us to sign him. He was just 22, and showed alot of promise at Malaga. And since they were in financial difficulties they sold him on the cheap, for just 7 million pounds. His move to Russia was a bad one though. I feel he's much more of a risk now than he was then, older, doesn't seem to have improved, and more expensive.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #21: Jun 26, 2015 10:30:56 pm

Bet you've never even seen this guy play.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #22: Jul 01, 2015 11:09:16 am
      Dont think this is going to happen now, looking more and more like Benteke is the main man
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #23: Aug 10, 2015 04:41:19 pm
      Signed for West Brom for £12 mil

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33852895
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264