Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bmouth [Premier League] Sat 21st Sep @ 3:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 21st of September and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W16 D3 L7

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)

Read 699947 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,086 posts | 4128 
      • Does anyone ever listen to him?
      Re: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)
      Reply #6210: Jun 17, 2024 02:26:14 pm
      Got thinking about Stevie today after watching England last night and the amount of praise Jude Bellingham is getting.

Now first off I'm not in anyway trying to play down how good Bellingham is and how much of a talent he is. He's fantastic.

But I think Gerrard could have done everything Jude does and outside of us he never seemed to get the praise he deserved and in a way I think was under rated ad under appreciated.

Difference now is that if Bellingham is the modern day Gerrard then he's being compared to a lot of English players that can only
      really plays as 10s or attacking midfielders, where as Bellingham would be a perfect made 8 for England.
      Issue is that England are playing a 4-2-3-1 and should probably bring in another wide attacker to the mix but instead
      are juggling around a lot of 10s and pushing Bellingham up because he played there for Real Madrid.

So Bellingham gets the plaudits because he does everything the other young attacking midfielders don't.
      He's very much like Gerrard in that respect, just that Gerrard was never given the same respect in England.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,944 posts | 5194 
      Re: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool - LA Galaxy - Youth Academy - Rangers - Aston Villa)
      Reply #6211: Jun 17, 2024 05:17:03 pm
      And Kevin De Bryne.

Another player who seems to get more praise than Stevie ever did.

Maybe I'm imagining it.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,306 posts | 7313 
      Reply #6212: Jun 20, 2024 09:33:01 pm
      Only Stevie had the energy and drive to drag a mid table team to two CL finals and up the top end of the league. There will never be another
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,944 posts | 5194 
      Reply #6213: Jun 20, 2024 09:41:50 pm
      Only Stevie had the energy and drive to drag a mid table team to two CL finals and up the top end of the league. There will never be another

Agree.

Couldn't imagine De Bryne do it and modern media get on as if he's the second coming sometimes.

Gerrard truly under rated in many ways which sounds mad.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,306 posts | 7313 
      Reply #6214: Jun 24, 2024 11:19:38 am
      Agree.

Couldn't imagine De Bryne do it and modern media get on as if he's the second coming sometimes.

Gerrard truly under rated in many ways which sounds mad.
      2005 scored an incredible header won the penalty and played in about 4 positions never seen another player capable of that level of match dominance ...oh and 2006 cup final
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,801 posts | 922 
      Reply #6215: Jun 24, 2024 11:49:06 am
      It's almost impossible to compare, already the media landscape is a lot different to when Stevie played...There's constant hyperbole surrounding players like Bellingham, Foden, Mbape etc.
      Steven deservedly got his fair share of praise during his playing career; both club and country; although his international career was often clouded by the so-called "Lampard" issue, coincidently the same issue now regarding Bellingham & Foden....namely how do you get both players into the same side?

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,941 posts | 3991 
      Reply #6216: Jul 03, 2024 04:23:47 pm
      Fucks me off when I think about how and why he left.

If you’re on twitter, follow this account:

https://x.com/efranalexander/status/1808494653484028097?s=46

He had everything!! We could have kept him fit and around the squad until he was 40. I’m gutted.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 41,095 posts | 8981 
      Reply #6217: Jul 03, 2024 06:37:51 pm

He had everything!! We could have kept him fit and around the squad until he was 40. I’m gutted.

Wasn't in his prime when he left though was he? He was past that.

Right decision, fed up of the F***ing sentimentality that follows this club sometimes.

Reason for our success in our heyday, we didn't go in for sentimental sh*te, we were a winning machine hence the phrase from Paisley about letting players grow old on other teams pitches.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,944 posts | 5194 
      Reply #6218: Jul 03, 2024 06:47:39 pm

Right decision, fed up of the F***ing sentimentality that follows this club sometimes.

Reason for our success in our heyday, we didn't go in for sentimental sh*te, we were a winning machine hence the phrase from Paisley about letting players grow old on other teams pitches.

Yep.

The fact he only managed another season in the US shows he was at the end.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,941 posts | 3991 
      Reply #6219: Jul 03, 2024 06:59:48 pm

Nah. Scholes did it, Giggs did it, Maldini did it, Milner did it.

It could have worked.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,941 posts | 3991 
      Reply #6220: Jul 03, 2024 07:01:09 pm
      Yep.

The fact he only managed another season in the US shows he was at the end.

Anyone would slow it down playing in that sh*te league.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,317 posts | 2220 
      Reply #6221: Jul 03, 2024 08:03:18 pm

Crikey. If anything he stayed with us a year or so too long. Even in the season when we nearly won it in 13/14 he was playing a deep lying midfielder role where he could still spread (and score the penalties) but his movement was gone. That was exposed badly in the next (and his last) season for us. Suarez had gone, Sturridge had become a permanent sick note and we were relying on the blessed talents of a Ricki Lambert and a couldn't care less Balotelli. He was utterly gone by time he left. The notion that he could have stated on till 40 is bizarre.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,566 posts | 3798 
      Reply #6222: Jul 03, 2024 08:52:32 pm

Nope he was done , struggled the year before he left and would have been even worse if he stayed

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,317 posts | 2220 
      Reply #6223: Jul 04, 2024 11:33:59 am
      Nope he was done , struggled the year before he left and would have been even worse if he stayed

It was a sad sight in the end. His lack of mobility / inability to play deep in that season particularly in the run in contributed massively to a catastrofuck of a season.

And then towards the end, the whole supporter base / Brendan and everyone obsessed with Liverpool became transfixed on this bizarre 'Get Gerrard to Wembley' FA Cup run that was almost cult like in it's one man obsession. In the end it all became a farcical side show as the main farce played out on the big stage as Brendan and everyone at the club lost complete control of the team. That of course amounted to a string of appalling displays and embarrassing defeats including Villa in the semi final, Crystal Palace at home and then the ultimate embarrassment of that Stoke match.

We got what we deserved for indulging such fantasy. I've never seen us so bad.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,941 posts | 3991 
      Reply #6224: Jul 04, 2024 11:56:24 am
      It was a sad sight in the end. His lack of mobility / inability to play deep in that season particularly in the run in contributed massively to a catastrofuck of a season.

And then towards the end, the whole supporter base / Brendan and everyone obsessed with Liverpool became transfixed on this bizarre 'Get Gerrard to Wembley' FA Cup run that was almost cult like in it's one man obsession. In the end it all became a farcical side show as the main farce played out on the big stage as Brendan and everyone at the club lost complete control of the team. That of course amounted to a string of appalling displays and embarrassing defeats including Villa in the semi final, Crystal Palace at home and then the ultimate embarrassment of that Stoke match.

We got what we deserved for indulging such fantasy. I've never seen us so bad.

Exactly - BR 100% contributed to Gerrards downfall. Surrounding him with sh*te players and a sh*te strategy.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,317 posts | 2220 
      Reply #6225: Jul 04, 2024 12:28:19 pm
      Exactly - BR 100% contributed to Gerrards downfall. Surrounding him with sh*te players and a sh*te strategy.

Does not wash that LR. A prime Gerrard from the mid-late 00s would have saved Brendan quite comfortably but in reality only hastened Rodgers exit. But he became a hindrance more than anything by the end of his career.

The notion that he could have survived, let alone prosper, in a Jürgen team is delusional.

Quick Reply