Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Roberto Firmino Player Thread (F)

Read 380841 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,215 posts | 4409 
      Re: Roberto Firmino Player Thread
      Reply #1058: Jan 28, 2017 01:02:05 am
      You said this on Dec 20th:

Have we seen the real Firmino consistently since then?

Come on mate who has really come out of the slumber post Christmas?

Let's be honest even when we were roasting teams Sturridge was a bystander.

I have always been a huge fan of Sturrudge but even I can see at the "moment" Firmino is a better option.

Situations can always change hence why we need a quality squad not too bothered personally if it's Sturridge or Firmino comes off the bench.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1059: Jan 28, 2017 01:45:13 am

Come on mate who has really come out of the slumber post Christmas?

Let's be honest even when we were roasting teams Sturridge was a bystander.

I have always been a huge fan of Sturrudge but even I can see at the "moment" Firmino is a better option.

Situations can always change hence why we need a quality squad not too bothered personally if it's Sturridge or Firmino comes off the bench.

I would say that "at the moment" Firmino is a better option.

But, that isn't saying much as he's been inconsistent himself.

Herein lies our problem, a bloke played as a 'false, defensive' [add appropriate definition] attacker with a 4 in 14 goals to game ratio isn't helping this side at the apex of it's formation while it's struggling in front of goal. Yet, he's supposedly the best hope we currently have of pulling this side out of the slump. It's not filling me with confidence, seeing as his best work comes against sides who come out to play against us. When they sit (Swansea apart in which he rightly was our best player and performer on the day), he's pretty ineffective/inconsistent IMO. 1 game in every 6-7 for him to produce a top performance isn't going to cut the mustard in the long run.

It's a shame, we sit here and watch Firmino go through indifferent periods of form over a huge number of games while we simultaneously right Sturridge's career off through the inconsistent games and teams he's played in.

Given our options, because for me, Bobby isn't pulling up trees and isn't consistent enough at the summit of our attack, I find myself in a position where I have to put faith in Sturridge to come good. Now, if he has a fair crack of the whip like Firmino has, where he is allowed an extended run of games in the side irrespective of his performances, and the time to perhaps remould his game somewhat (which nobody has really considered giving him), then I could say, at least it's been tried. But it hasn't, and now that we're playing teams who have a certain game plan for us, where we need a finisher more than a "defensive" attacker, I'd give Sturridge the nod.

Goals win you games, many strikers down the years have been reliant on this; Fowler through to the likes of Lineker, didn't bring much else other than the importance of goals. That's what this side needs right now. Yes, Danny missed one really good chance, that if he had the confidence and run of games under his belt I'm pretty confident that would have found the back of the net.

Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #1060: Jan 28, 2017 10:46:18 am
      I honestly feel like our slump in form has something to do with Firmino not playing through the middle! He is such an intelligent player and drags defenders out of position with his faded little runs and passes it created so much space for our other attackers to exploit.

He's not an absolute natural predator in front of goal like an on form Sturridge is but he does know where the back of the net is and could easily grab us 20 goals a season while creating another 20 more for other players.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,786 posts | 892 
      Reply #1061: Jan 28, 2017 02:31:51 pm
      Firmino starts today.. nothing.

Sturridge comes on.. assist.

:roll:

I'll just leave that here.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #1062: Jan 28, 2017 02:37:32 pm
      Firmino starts today.. nothing.

Sturridge comes on.. assist.

:roll:

I'll just leave that here.

How did Sturridge do against Southampton?
      Seriously your clear obsession with Sturridge is too obvious I think the only way to make you happy would be if we clone 11 versions of him and field them at the same time. Actually, make that 22 because half of them is probably injured at any given time.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1063: Jan 28, 2017 03:22:44 pm
      Missing in action again.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,215 posts | 4409 
      Reply #1064: Jan 28, 2017 03:41:28 pm
      Like all the eleven completely anonomous apart from giving away possession cheaply which ended up with them scoring the second goal.

Does have an appalling tendency to mis place his passes. Wouldn't mind if it was an attempt at some sort of killer pass but no it's usually a 10 yard lolly.....
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,323 posts | 2855 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1065: Jan 28, 2017 03:44:54 pm
      The one player who needs probably deserves a rest and can't get onr
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,215 posts | 4409 
      Reply #1066: Jan 30, 2017 03:52:08 pm
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4949 
      Reply #1067: Jan 30, 2017 07:24:50 pm
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1068: Jan 30, 2017 07:33:45 pm
      The fume from opposition fans regarding this is unreal.

Guessing some of them rate him higher than some of our fans then Si.

Not sure what they've got to complain about I would have thought for a driving offence it's relatively standard to switch a court date to fit in with working schedules. It is after a county court which can be very flexible with regards hearings due to the usual simplicity of cases requiring no prep from the judge.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,323 posts | 2855 
      Reply #1069: Jan 31, 2017 09:49:07 pm
      Cock
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #1070: Jan 31, 2017 09:52:31 pm
      F***ing useless the last month. Utterly F***ing useless.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #1071: Jan 31, 2017 10:11:34 pm
      Should have buried those chances Bobby lad
      DanMann

• 5,786 posts | 892 
      Reply #1072: Jan 31, 2017 10:30:57 pm
      Nothing surprises me.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,323 posts | 2855 
      Reply #1073: Jan 31, 2017 10:53:16 pm

How about a top player missing 2 sitters in a huge game
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1074: Jan 31, 2017 10:55:53 pm
      Daniel Sturridge sitting on the bench, needs games, Firmino needs a rest. Put two and two together.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1075: Jan 31, 2017 10:58:07 pm
      Bobby definitely needs a rest, not sure if i would have Sturridge come in for him though, would be tempted to chuck Origi in instead, especially with Couts and Mane back.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #1076: Jan 31, 2017 11:02:23 pm
      Not consistent enough unfortunately.

One good game every six is not good enough at this level.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #1077: Jan 31, 2017 11:11:45 pm
      Playing as our centre forward. Likeable guy and love having him in the squad.

We will win nothing with him as our striker or false striker or whatever he is. Misses big chances regularly!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,215 posts | 4409 
      Reply #1078: Jan 31, 2017 11:28:32 pm
      If only he had Sturridge's scoring instinct.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1079: Feb 01, 2017 05:06:34 am
      Bobby is going to be a bit of a conundrum going forward (in time I mean). He hasn't really shone in any position other than as the striker (false or otherwise) and as time goes on, it's looking likelier we are going to need someone there who scores more naturally/has a bit of pace. An Aubemyang or someone of that ilk would make a massive difference to us, and if we were to get such a player we'll be left wondering where Firmino gets in.

That's where I'd like Jürgen to be flexible and imaginative in his philosophy. There's no doubt at all that Bobby is one of our better players, and finding a way to shoe horn him in as a 10 or something will like as not be worth the effort. It may mean though that we have alter our shape a little, it'll be interesting to see how/if the boss deals with it.

I am though pretty convinced that in order to win the league we need a far more clinical centre forward.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1080: Feb 01, 2017 06:24:58 am
      Strikers win leagues, unfortunately Firmino isn't one. I understand why Jürgen plays him.  Coutinho, Mane, Lallana and Firmino on the same field was working we'll earlier in the season, and I think he needs all these guys to get back in form again.
      I still think there could be a way of working Sturridge into the team, he's the best finisher we have, but it looks like Jürgen has made the decision that Bobby is his choice.

Quick Reply