Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Chelsea [Premier League] Sat 25th Nov @ 5:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 22nd of November and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W6 D12 L5

Roberto Firmino Player Thread

Read 78741 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,077 posts | 2765 
      Re: Roberto Firmino Player Thread
      Reply #1380 : Sep 09, 2017 03:34:16 pm »
      Did he play today?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,191 posts | 740 
      Reply #1381 : Sep 09, 2017 09:02:02 pm »

Did any of 'em bar Migs mate?

* Exits now, remembering he's walked in on a little banter ;)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,077 posts | 2765 
      Reply #1382 : Sep 09, 2017 10:17:36 pm »
      Did any of 'em bar Migs mate?

* Exits now, remembering he's walked in on a little banter ;)

;D.

On a serious note he had nothing to feed off, but he was still invisible. Mind you, he did run around a fair bit and some of that running was quite fast too. I did notice that he's got a kind of fishtail thing in the shape of the hair on the back of his head too. Probably to improve his aero-dynamic profile or something.
      Guruji
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts | 42 
      Reply #1383 : Sep 10, 2017 07:26:46 pm »
      I think we should bin Firmino and bring back Benteke. That lad is a real striker and is destined to return a big club soon and score a hatful of goals. I'll never understood how Klopp failed to build his team around Benteke - after all, he's scored an incredible 17 goals for Palace so far, and over the same period Bobby has scored a pitiful 15. Benteke played under Big Sam who wisely built the side around him, and he's really repaid that with a wonderful return. It's not like there's a big difference between our playing styles either.

I just don't see how Bobby fits our system at all. Our attacking play is based around fast wingers who like to cut inside and run in behind - Firmino just doesn't have any involvement in that whatsover. IMHO obviously.

:mad:
      FATKOPITE10
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,210 posts | 657 
      Reply #1384 : Sep 10, 2017 07:29:06 pm »
      I think we should bin Firmino and bring back Benteke. That lad is a real striker and is destined to return a big club soon and score a hatful of goals. I'll never understood how Klopp failed to build his team around Benteke - after all, he's scored an incredible 17 goals for Palace so far, and over the same period Bobby has scored a pitiful 15. Benteke played under Big Sam who wisely built the side around him, and he's really repaid that with a wonderful return. It's not like there's a big difference between our playing styles either.

I just don't see how Bobby fits our system at all. Our attacking play is based around fast wingers who like to cut inside and run in behind - Firmino just doesn't have any involvement in that whatsover. IMHO obviously.

Did you see benteke's movement v burnley today, well me neither
      PurpleMonkey

• 5,925 posts | 632 
      Reply #1385 : Sep 10, 2017 07:32:23 pm »

I've said it once and i'll say it again on this forum.

Firmino doesn't work well in our system I think he IS the system. Klopp has slightly tweaked his Gegenpressen football which usually requires a pacey striker to get in behind from winning the ball back and changed it to be Firmino winning it high up the pitch and then giving it to Mane and Salah who can quickly back him up.

Not many strikers can press like he can and create so much space for Salah and Mane.
      I'd probably say there's only 5 or so strikers in world football that squeeze the life out of defenders. Suarez being one of them.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,077 posts | 2765 
      Reply #1386 : Sep 10, 2017 07:38:33 pm »

Haha you're joking right? Good post ;D.

On a serious note Bobby fits our system well and is a good player. I just wish we also had the option of a genuine number 9 to call upon, I can't help thinking the lad at Chelsea for example would be brilliant in a Klopp team.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,191 posts | 740 
      Reply #1387 : Sep 10, 2017 08:06:12 pm »
      Haha you're joking right? Good post ;D.

On a serious note Bobby fits our system well and is a good player. I just wish we also had the option of a genuine number 9 to call upon, I can't help thinking the lad at Chelsea for example would be brilliant in a Klopp team.

You mean Morata or Costa Mick?

Serious question.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,077 posts | 2765 
      Reply #1388 : Sep 10, 2017 08:10:00 pm »
      You mean Morata or Costa Mick?

Serious question.

Morata mate, although if he was fit and motivated Costa would improve most teams in the Premiership, including ours. Man's a c*** though, no question on that score.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,191 posts | 740 
      Reply #1389 : Sep 10, 2017 09:18:17 pm »
      Morata mate, although if he was fit and motivated Costa would improve most teams in the Premiership, including ours. Man's a c*** though, no question on that score.

Yep agree
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,548 posts | 182 
      Reply #1390 : Sep 12, 2017 08:32:42 am »
      I have utter faith in Roberto IF we play to his strengths.
      To me, when we play at our best, he is completely and utterly intergral.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,077 posts | 2765 
      Reply #1391 : Sep 12, 2017 08:57:21 am »
      I have utter faith in Roberto IF we play to his strengths.
      To me, when we play at our best, he is completely and utterly intergral.

Couldn't agree more. When we are in swashbuckle mode, Bobby's running around, his eye for a pass and his fluidity of movement are absolutely ideal.

Unfortunately, we don't play like that every week or aren't allowed to. On those occasions you need a striker who can nick a goal out of nothing, take the one chance which comes up, offer an alternative focal point to the attack, put his head in where it hurts etc. Then, Bobby isn't ideal and goes into "invisible man" mode.

Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 482 posts | 120 
      Reply #1392 : Sep 12, 2017 11:32:12 am »
      Bobby is an ideal striker for Klopps system. But if we have to deviate from it like this past weekend he is the exact opposite. Same with some of the other guys (Can, TAA, etc.) Can looked lost when we played 3 in the back.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,514 posts | 684 
      Reply #1393 : Sep 12, 2017 11:47:49 am »

If you are being sarcastic then its not very obvious, if you are being serious then you need to give your head a wobble. Benteke was absolutely woeful under Jürgen, just didn't fit the system at all, Crystal Palace is Benteke's type of team.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,514 posts | 684 
      Reply #1394 : Sep 12, 2017 11:50:41 am »
      Bobby is an ideal striker for Klopps system. But if we have to deviate from it like this past weekend he is the exact opposite. Same with some of the other guys (Can, TAA, etc.) Can looked lost when we played 3 in the back.

I've got high hopes for Solanke to grow into that 2nd option, proper strike role. I fully agree that in a slow defensive game Firmino does not really help us much so we do need to find some options there.
      KopiteLuke
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,913 posts | 3746 
      Reply #1395 : Sep 14, 2017 04:17:28 pm »
      Only saw his emotional reaction after the game when it was reported today to be honest. Last player I remember doing that was Luis, I know some people didn't care for Luis but to me that sheer will to win and determination is what brings about the release of emotion after the game. When you can no longer do any more there is little left than to let it out and I think that's one of the many attributes they share.

That's the kind of reaction I want to see when someone fucks up, show that it means something to you and show us that you care. When you do that I can easily forgive the odd mistake or missed penalty.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1396 : Sep 15, 2017 07:56:55 am »
      That's one way of trying to turn a negative into a positive.   :lmao:
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,077 posts | 2765 
      Reply #1397 : Sep 15, 2017 09:35:12 am »
      I like that desire in players too. That said, in the case of Suarez he was more inclined to show it on the pitch in terms of effort, goals, doing whatever it takes to win than he was bursting into tears after the match.

Bobby's "desire" isn't quite so obvious when he's playing (very few players have that to be honest). His desire does feel harder to big up though, particularly when he has the tendency to go into Griffin mode as often as he does.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,486 posts | 1822 
      Reply #1398 : Sep 15, 2017 10:25:15 am »
      I like that desire in players too. That said, in the case of Suarez he was more inclined to show it on the pitch in terms of effort, goals, doing whatever it takes to win than he was bursting into tears after the match.

Bobby's "desire" isn't quite so obvious when he's playing (very few players have that to be honest). His desire does feel harder to big up though, particularly when he has the tendency to go into Griffin mode as often as he does.

Suarez certainly turned on the waterworks after the 3-3 against Palace, he was inconsolable.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,077 posts | 2765 
      Reply #1399 : Sep 15, 2017 10:38:21 am »
      So was I mate, slightly different situation tho.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,514 posts | 684 
      Reply #1400 : Sep 15, 2017 10:45:10 am »
      Suarez certainly turned on the waterworks after the 3-3 against Palace, he was inconsolable.

So was I, I had nightmares about that match for a long time!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,486 posts | 1822 
      Reply #1401 : Sep 15, 2017 10:50:58 am »
      So was I, I had nightmares about that match for a long time!

I think we will all did.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,191 posts | 740 
      Reply #1402 : Sep 15, 2017 03:29:46 pm »
      So was I mate, slightly different situation tho.

Yep - looking back now it's really clear.

That was the night I decided to take up the serial killing.

Umpteen rolls of gaffa tape and hundreds of cable ties and here we are again with the defence.........
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,516 posts | 3118 
      • Better Red Than Dead @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1403 : Sep 15, 2017 06:24:19 pm »
      Bobby is an ideal striker for Klopps system.

Serious question mate - has his "system" really changed and if so, when? Cause...

... He sure as sh*t used out and out dedicated strikers (to great f**king effect 😉) at BvB. There... he signed and played Lewendowski;  he signed and played Aubameyang; he tried to sign Benteke and he signed that goat Imobile.

Anyone suggesting Jürgen doesn't like [or can't use] a dedicated striker smacks of someone intent in firing their arrow, only to paint the target around it after.

At BvB his preference was a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1; dedicated striker no false nine.

"System"? Hmm... 🤔
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,486 posts | 1822 
      Reply #1404 : Sep 15, 2017 06:30:49 pm »
      Serious question mate - has his "system" really changed and if so, when? Cause...

Since he has been at LFC he has moved away from the 4231 to what we mostly play now 433.

He has in effect gone even more attacking than at Dortmund where he used to play with defensive minded midfielders like Bender and Kehl.

PurpleMonkey

• 5,925 posts | 632 
      Reply #1405 : Sep 15, 2017 09:34:55 pm »
      Since he has been at LFC he has moved away from the 4231 to what we mostly play now 433.

He has in effect gone even more attacking than at Dortmund where he used to play with defensive minded midfielders like Bender and Kehl.

Yep, , Bender/Kehl and Sahin/Gundogan were the 2x #6's , weren't they? And as you said, he played a 4231 99% of the time at Dortmund.

I really do think the players he has here is the reason why he has changed. We seem to be a better higher pressing unit than the old Dortmund because of the likes of Hendo, Firmino, Lallana, Wijnaldum and Can.
      « Last Edit: Sep 15, 2017 09:39:54 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 482 posts | 120 
      Reply #1406 : Sep 16, 2017 03:01:36 am »

Exactly. Bobbys attributes make guys like Salah, Mane, and even some of the attacking mids and FBs better. Because of his lack of speed he has to play the game a lot differently than most strikers. He typically plays the game in front of him rather than a pacey type striker like Studg. I think his ability to see the field, time his runs, and make the extra pass evelvate him abouve Daniel. Daniel doesn't make the other attackers better. Bobby does. Bobby would never work in a 4231.

A perfect example of all of Bobbys skills were on display during the Hoffenheim game at Anfield. He was all World that day. U get my point though. He showed the out let passes, the crosses, and the ability to link with other players and time his run to tap in a easy goal. Klopp makes Bobby better with his system and personal and Bobby rewards him by being a great conduit to run Klopps style through
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,343 posts | 238 
      Reply #1407 : Sep 16, 2017 06:00:54 pm »
      Absolute f**k up from Klopp today moving him out wide and putting studge in his place.

Totally removed everything that is good about him from the team. The pressing, the passing, the movement.

Poor decision. Should have put ox on the left or even Salah on the left and ox on the right and just kept Bobby through the middle.

Fair enough if he was dropped for a rest but nobody was rested and having him on the wing was sh*te.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,077 posts | 2765 
      Reply #1408 : Sep 16, 2017 06:30:06 pm »
      Dr Jack Griffin.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,270 posts | 1475 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1409 : Sep 16, 2017 06:54:37 pm »
      He has never once played well from a wide position. He should never be put there again, if you're going to play Studge up front, put Bobby on the bench.

Quick Reply