Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Roberto Firmino Player Thread (F)

Read 370133 times
      Guruji
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 55 
      Re: Roberto Firmino Player Thread
      Reply #1472: Oct 01, 2017 12:27:37 am
      Quote from KopiteLuke
      In truth it's been brewing for a while and it's good to see them finally get it off their chest because it was getting tiresome listening to them pretend with all the "I rate Firmino, but" posts. Same as the "I rate Kenny, but" posts and the "Rafa is a good manager, but", there's a pattern that isn't hard to recognise. Now that people can see the knife firmly stabbed and the joy with which it's being done, the next time that they pretend they rate these players/managers treat their words with the disdain they deserve.

Quote from bad boy bubby
      Big fan of Bobby's; always have been and have never hidden it. In fact - Bobby being played 'out of position', under BR, was a major bugbear of mine [and of other folk but they have probably forgotten].

Boy but I'd love to see him in play around, behind and alongside a dedicated striker.

Quote from bad boy bubby

I'm a big fan of the lad (as you know) but that is funny as f**k mate.  ;D

Quote from bad boy bubby
      Based on what, other than that which (convieniently) cannot be measured; things like goals, assists, passing accuracy?

I'm a big fan of Bobby but let's be f**king honest here 😂

Can you actually clarify your opinion on Firmino please? You come across as arguably his biggest fan, yet for some reason the comments after the "but" in each post indicate you have underlying issues with him. Do you actually like him as a player; do you actually want him starting for us with our current squad as it is?
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #1473: Oct 01, 2017 12:55:12 am
      Can you actually clarify your opinion on Firmino please? You come across as arguably his biggest fan, yet for some reason the comments after the "but" in each post indicate you have underlying issues with him. Do you actually like him as a player; do you actually want him starting for us with our current squad as it is?

A wise man once told me that everything before the word 'but' is bullshit.

Can't remember where I got it from though  :lmao:!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1474: Oct 01, 2017 01:05:33 am

In fairness (although he can no doubt answer himself) BBB has always been one of Firmino's biggest fans on here. Obviously not at the same level as Luke or anything like that, but definitely been a poster who rates him highly.

In truth I think pretty much everyone knows and accepts that Bobby is a fine player. I (although obviously I get accused of hating him) would have him in my team more often than not, he's one of our better players definitely. My only rider obviously is that I wouldn't play him as a striker every week, I'd have him ideally as a number 10. Unfortunately though battle lines get drawn, and if you don't praise him to quite the same extent as some other posters it's automatically interpreted as you waiting to stick the knife into him, and what's more enjoying it while you're doing it.   
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1475: Oct 01, 2017 04:04:08 am
      Has not been great recently que two goals tomorrow.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1476: Oct 01, 2017 09:18:49 am

Right so... in order - "but" 1 - clear as F**k read it again, it states where, I believe, he is best played... "but" 2 - Mick said something which was funny, read it again, in context, it is clear as day... "but" 3...

Rate the lad. Have from day one. The posts are there for all to see; including where I'd like to see him start/play. Read them: you lifted those posts readily enough - it should be easy enough for you. 😉

So, yeah, I rate him but that does not mean that I should, just to support my opinion, be a F***ing hypocrite and pretend that he scores more [than he actually does]; assists more [than he actually does] and make more accurate passes [than he actually does].

Nah... I'll leave that to the fucksticks. Integrity, I guess.

You're not long back here Guru (at least I don't think so) so maybe, tho I have done it dozens of times, you haven't read me post this before but... just for you -

I COULDN'T GIVE A F**k WHICH PLAYER PLAYS WHERE AND WHEN, AS LONG AS LFC WIN.

Not Sturridge, not Firmino... No F***ing one. 😁

As for my opinions? They are just that I don't give [count them] two flying fucks if they're wrong; I care even less what you think of them and... I sure as sh*t ain't gonna lie to support them. In short: I do not need to be right. 😊

I hope this is clear enough - anything else? Just read my posts... it's all there. 😎
      « Last Edit: Oct 01, 2017 09:53:10 am by bad boy bubby »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1477: Oct 01, 2017 10:53:44 am
      Here, from the Club's own [official] site: this covers everything, from goals scored to tackles made and shots on target - play about with it and make what you will...

http://draft.liverpoolfc.com/team/player-stats/16320/Sturridge
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1478: Oct 16, 2017 07:51:01 pm
      Thought just by the law of probability he would score against the Mancs.
      F***ing maths !
      Will he start tomorrow night?
      Dunno.
      Bob, Danny, Solanke - nobody is slapping their lads on the table saying they DESERVE to start.

At this stage I'd give Solanke a run against a side you'd expect us to get a result against.

Bob still probably still shades the PL starting place.  But that's simply down to lack of competition for places... Jürgen ...
      tq redz
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 14 
      Reply #1479: Oct 16, 2017 08:01:29 pm
      Start Solanke tomorrow, run of games, see how good the lad can be.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #1480: Oct 16, 2017 08:39:16 pm
      Here, from the Club's own [official] site: this covers everything, from goals scored to tackles made and shots on target - play about with it and make what you will...

http://draft.liverpoolfc.com/team/player-stats/16320/Sturridge

Think we have a problem when the much criticised Sturridge has better PL stats on the official club page than Firmino....

That doesn't fit the agenda now does it? Oh dear.  :roll:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1481: Oct 17, 2017 07:33:17 am
      Think we have a problem when the much criticised Sturridge has better PL stats on the official club page than Firmino....

That doesn't fit the agenda now does it? Oh dear.  :roll:

I read Sturridge with a conversion rate of 8% cf Firmino 24% oh dear........ :D
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #1482: Oct 17, 2017 11:58:35 am
      Really want to see Firmino in the ten role, it is just a shame we don't have a good enough striker at the moment to play ahead of him.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1483: Oct 17, 2017 12:21:23 pm
      Can he play in the role Phil has been playing in CM?

Seem hard working enough, good enough on the ball and picks a pass well enough. Also I've noticed he's a pretty good tackler, much better than Phil actually.

Would be interesting to see how he does in that position.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #1484: Oct 17, 2017 12:22:53 pm
      Can he play in the role Phil has been playing in CM?

Seem hard working enough, good enough on the ball and picks a pass well enough. Also I've noticed he's a pretty good tackler, much better than Phil actually.

Would be interesting to see how he does in that position.

If you are talking the LCM role then i think not. His sometimes quite lethargic on the ball, i wouldn't trust him that far back haha.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #1485: Oct 17, 2017 12:59:44 pm
      If you are talking the LCM role then i think not. His sometimes quite lethargic on the ball, i wouldn't trust him that far back haha.

Just trying to think where to fit him in, a 4-2-3-1 with him in the hole would be very nice... Not sure who would go up top... Mane?

I like Bobby, but he is not the player we need when playing against park the bus teams. When it's open, free flowing football he is devastating.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #1486: Oct 17, 2017 01:41:25 pm
      Just trying to think where to fit him in, a 4-2-3-1 with him in the hole would be very nice... Not sure who would go up top... Mane?

I like Bobby, but he is not the player we need when playing against park the bus teams. When it's open, free flowing football he is devastating.

Mane would be an interesting player to have ahead of Firmino. Mane is a better finisher than probably both Firmino and Salah.

Don't see Klopp taking that type of risk though.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #1487: Oct 17, 2017 01:57:00 pm
      Mane would be an interesting player to have ahead of Firmino. Mane is a better finisher than probably both Firmino and Salah.

Don't see Klopp taking that type of risk though.

Nothing he can do for 6 weeks anyway  :'(
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #1488: Oct 18, 2017 06:42:39 pm
      Liverpool: Why We Should Be Careful What We Wish For From Roberto Firmino

IN the midst of last Saturday’s draw with Manchester United, while Ashley Young was doing his utmost to prevent Liverpool gaining any kind of momentum, my gaze became fixed on another player.

The lovely autumn sun and the vibrancy of the green Anfield turf left me semi hazy and meditational as I pondered the question to myself: “What would Romelu Lukaku look like in this Liverpool team?”

This wasn’t in the sense of me lauding Man United’s number nine, far from it. Watching him on Saturday proved to me, if needed, he is the epitome of a limited conventional centre forward. He does most things to par, his ability to link up play with his back to goal is notably underwhelming. Yet, Saturday apart, the notion is that he scores when his chance comes and that’s his job done.

This is something Liverpool fans have debated to the point of exhaustion recently; do we need the 20-goal-a-season striker to cure our woes in front of goal? Are we better sacrificing the collective aim and sense of joint responsibility and place it solely on one player to rectify what has been wrong with this Liverpool season? I’d say no.

Tuesday night’s win in Maribor shows what happens when minor individual mistakes are rectified and the collective get it right. Liverpool were formidable in every department, which was exemplified by Mohamed Salah’s early pick out of Roberto Firmino in the opening minutes. From then on Liverpool did not look back.

This was an example of what happens when the right decisions are made in games of football. Doubt is not allowed to seep in, problems aren’t allowed to become problems and trust in themselves and each other is restored, only then are the fruits of aspiration borne.

Firmino, on last night’s form is an extraordinary player. He can do seemingly everything on top of scoring goals. The fact that the responsibility of putting the ball in the net has fallen solely on him in recent weeks has been somewhat unfair, given how much he continues to contribute to the team.

He has had the occasional poor game along the way, but to expect him to score regardless of wider team context is unrealistic. He is so embodied in what this team is and is trying to be that he has become such a large part of its collective positives and negatives.

The argument against the conventional, stereotypical centre forward is an interesting one. That a lot of Liverpool goals involve Firmino in some way, directly or indirectly, poses the quandary of what this side would look like as an attacking force if that was replaced with an on-the-shoulder goal poacher?

The movement of Liverpool’s number nine ensures that he can drop in to start moves, pull out wide, make runs to drag players left and right. All of which is fundamental to the fluency and movement Jürgen Klopp desires from his Liverpool team, particularly in the final third.

It is also easy to forget just how much of the physical aspects of Firmino’s game are present when wishing for something a touch more conventional. While craving for some dystopian, boorish, Alan Shearer-like totem, it is easy to forget all Firmino’s other, more unattractive attributes.

He’s good in the air and impeccable with his back to goal, and has a penchant for tackles, interceptions and tracking back, all numbers that are key for Klopp’s collective defending and attacking mindset.

In 74 league appearances for Liverpool, Firmino has made 133 tackles with 42 interceptions. To compare it to someone like Lukaku, who has made 52 tackles and eight interceptions in 194 league appearances, the difference is night and day.

The old arguments might arise here; it’s what he does in front of goal that counts etc. However, you can’t have one without the other in this Liverpool team. Without that work rate, that effort for the team, Liverpool are not able to regain possession high up the pitch, to explode into space, to keep teams pushed back and penetrate, to be every inch a Liverpool with a Klopp identity.

Last night is an example of what materialises when all of the above happens and the correct decisions are made in key moments, when we cut loose and relax in the right moments. We all must realise that we have to buy into all of this manager’s vision.

It’s a 2013-14 type of buy in, a grabbing the ball off Jose Mourinho for a pointless throw in when the game is 0-0 and we don’t have to win type of buy in. This is what we are and what they do, for one element to work it all needs to work. That can be frustrating and at times to its detriment, but look what happens when it clicks.

It’s also worth looking at how contrastingly good and bad Liverpool have looked with a centre forward in the mould of Daniel Sturridge. Sturridge is becoming a very strange footballer. One who is too good to go and play anywhere below the top six yet physically nowhere near able to start every week for a team in it.

In this team, Sturridge is fast becoming a player you only bring on when you’re protecting a lead and those spaces have already opened up for him to showcase his brilliant and sagacious nature as a footballer.

If you examine the lack of impact he has had from the start of games, it shows that the spaces and openings he craves just aren’t there without the front three working in complete tandem to engineer them. This would be the same for any striker brought in relying solely on goals.

This team tend not play in a manner that wears the opposition down in a laboured and fragmented manner and waits for one chance. They do not stay behind their jab and wait for a big shot. They probe and move constantly with combinations, constantly looking for the opportunity to open up a foray of punches that leaves their opponent dazed on the canvas and towels being thrown in from all directions.

A look at Sturridge’s role in this current squad is a significant insight into what life could be like with a goals-only forward. Be careful what you wish for.

History supports the notion that Klopp prefers a more rounded central striker and wants his players to think beyond their predatory positional instincts. When Robert Lewandowski joined Borussia Dortmund in 2010-11 he did so as the top goalscorer in Polish football. Yet a return of just eight goals in 33 appearances led to questions being asked, not least by Lewandowski himself, who was initially deployed as a number 10, much to his bemusement.

“It was only in the following year that I realised how much I had learned in that position. Then I realised why the coach had asked me to play as a number 10; he made me a more complete player.”

As much as you can tag Lewandowski as a target man, a poaching natural goalscorer, the player himself cites Klopp’s development of his all-round game as the reason for his meteoric rise to an elite-level forward. Klopp is not a manager who will abandon his ideals for any player, if Liverpool signed another Lewandowski in January who could not operate as a number 10, as well as a number nine, oh and at times a seven, then forget it.

Liverpool currently have that in their Brazilian forward wearing the club’s historic number nine. Don’t lament Bobby for not being a Robbie Fowler or Fernando Torres, instead embrace and laud everything he is in conjunction with everything we are.

In years to come, there is no doubt we will be stating just how much we need another Bobby Firmino.

Source:https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/10/liverpool-why-we-should-be-careful-what-we-wish-for-from-roberto-firmino/
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #1489: Oct 19, 2017 01:23:38 pm
      So many point of error in that article.

That aside, hopefully Firmino can crack on and get goals now. Since Klopp plays him every game (and makes no change until the game is gone), we rely on Firmino. We need him to score and win us games.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1490: Oct 19, 2017 01:40:55 pm
      So many point of error in that article.

That aside, hopefully Firmino can crack on and get goals now. Since Klopp plays him every game (and makes no change until the game is gone), we rely on Firmino. We need him to score and win us games.

Like?
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #1491: Oct 19, 2017 10:45:54 pm
      Like....

Tuesday night’s win in Maribor shows what happens when minor individual mistakes are rectified and the collective get it right. Liverpool were formidable in every department, which was exemplified by Mohamed Salah’s early pick out of Roberto Firmino in the opening minutes. From then on Liverpool did not look back.

No it doesn't. It shows what happens when Liverpool play a poor side, who on the night played poorly, and on the night Liverpool finished their chances. That's all it shows. We've seen Liverpool play the same way against many teams, and not get the goals - either because of poor finishing, or good defending. Maribor did not defend well once, and with a wealth of chances, Liverpool finished several of them. We also missed/wasted plenty. It was that easy!

This was an example of what happens when the right decisions are made in games of football. Doubt is not allowed to seep in, problems aren’t allowed to become problems and trust in themselves and each other is restored, only then are the fruits of aspiration borne.

No, it is an example of what can happen when the right decisions are made against school boy defending. It is also an example of what could happen... in future if we improve our finishing or rather the ball play in the box.

Firmino, on last night’s form is an extraordinary player.

That's a ridiculous claim. Based on one game? Maribor?? Really?

He can do seemingly everything on top of scoring goals.

Let's take a look at those goals. One was a tap in. One was a slight header that beat everyone and went in the net. Not exactly top finishes. Does that show he suddenly knows how to bang them in? No. But, hopefully it will give him the confidence he needs to convert chances in future.

He can score the amazing goal from time to time, but often it's fairly basic stuff.

The fact that the responsibility of putting the ball in the net has fallen solely on him in recent weeks has been somewhat unfair, given how much he continues to contribute to the team.

The fact that he has been played instead of a striker who can put the ball in the net, and the fact he has been played as a central #9, does actually, sadly, mean that he has the responsibility of putting the ball in the net! It is simply ridiculous to pretend that he is not the man for the job. Desperate even, to defend his inability to do just that!! 2 Premier League goals is all. Several games with a goal drought.

Right, this is where I end. No point in continuing the analysis of this poor article.

Source:https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/10/liverpool-why-we-should-be-careful-what-we-wish-for-from-roberto-firmino/
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1492: Oct 19, 2017 10:53:01 pm
      Like....

No it doesn't. It shows what happens when Liverpool play a poor side, who on the night played poorly, and on the night Liverpool finished their chances. That's all it shows. We've seen Liverpool play the same way against many teams, and not get the goals - either because of poor finishing, or good defending. Maribor did not defend well once, and with a wealth of chances, Liverpool finished several of them. We also missed/wasted plenty. It was that easy!

No, it is an example of what can happen when the right decisions are made against school boy defending. It is also an example of what could happen... in future if we improve our finishing or rather the ball play in the box.

Firmino, on last night’s form is an extraordinary player.

That's a ridiculous claim. Based on one game? Maribor?? Really?

He can do seemingly everything on top of scoring goals.

Let's take a look at those goals. One was a tap in. One was a slight header that beat everyone and went in the net. Not exactly top finishes. Does that show he suddenly knows how to bang them in? No. But, hopefully it will give him the confidence he needs to convert chances in future.

He can score the amazing goal from time to time, but often it's fairly basic stuff.

The fact that the responsibility of putting the ball in the net has fallen solely on him in recent weeks has been somewhat unfair, given how much he continues to contribute to the team.

The fact that he has been played instead of a striker who can put the ball in the net, and the fact he has been played as a central #9, does actually, sadly, mean that he has the responsibility of putting the ball in the net! It is simply ridiculous to pretend that he is not the man for the job. Desperate even, to defend his inability to do just that!! 2 Premier League goals is all. Several games with a goal drought.

Right, this is where I end. No point in continuing the analysis of this poor article.

You can only play what is put in front of you and in all honesty, it's games like these that can make a player like Firmino, who's form had dropped right off, have a massive confidence boost and get them going again.
      They may be a piss poor side but sometimes you need to play a piss poor side and have a result as dominant as this to rebuild confidence and general morale within the team. Imagine what would have happened had we lost, or Firmino had played poor, they would have been rock bottom on confidence. After all, this is a team that held Chelsea to a 1-1 draw not long ago are the not?

We've not had a lot to cheer this season but regardless of the opposition, it feels damn good to have such a result and there are some piss poor teams in the competition, there is every year and every year they will come up against a so called 'top team', but I tell you what, for as bad as they are or how good the opposition is they are playing, it's a testament to just how dominant we were that we went on to set a new record with the 7-0 away win and 2 goals and an assist for Bobby will do him the world of good.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #1493: Oct 19, 2017 10:57:05 pm
      You can only play what is put in front of you and in all honesty, it's games like these that can make a player like Firmino, who's form had dropped right off, have a massive confidence boost and get them going again.
      They may be a piss poor side but sometimes you need to play a piss poor side and have a result as dominant as this to rebuild confidence and general morale within the team. Imagine what would have happened had we lost, or Firmino had played poor, they would have been rock bottom on confidence. After all, this is a team that held Chelsea to a 1-1 draw not long ago are the not?

We've not had a lot to cheer this season but regardless of the opposition, it feels damn good to have such a result and there are some piss poor teams in the competition, there is every year and every year they will come up against a so called 'top team', but I tell you what, for as bad as they are or how good the opposition is they are playing, it's a testament to just how dominant we were that we went on to set a new record with the 7-0 away win and 2 goals and an assist for Bobby will do him the world of good.

Don't disagree at all mate.

I've said it myself that hopefully the flow of goals will boost the players - and specifically Firmino. We need him to be scoring the goals.

However, my point is the article was written as if that game vindicated Firmino and showed his brilliance. It didn't. The article was a bit over the top and bias. However, if he can pick up from this game and get the goals flowing then great!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1494: Nov 02, 2017 06:37:45 am

Quick Reply