Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Nathaniel Clyne (Contract Expired)

Read 105755 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Nathaniel Clyne Player Thread
      Reply #161: Jan 22, 2017 01:10:09 am
      Pearce says he played with pain killing injections.

If this is actually the case then I don't know why we even went for it given how well TAA seems to be settling into the team and against United in particular, he done himself proud.

Also given it could potentially make an injury worse and I thought we would have wanted to prevent such a situation. Either way though, Clyne was atrocious and performances like that had better be a one off or else he will only hamper us. There were times when I thought we would have been better off with Johnson still there he was that bad.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #162: Jan 22, 2017 01:11:57 am
      Great last season, poor this.

If his form don't  improve from now I'd replace with someone like Adam Smith...quality underrated fullback.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #163: Jan 22, 2017 01:16:57 am
      Great last season, poor this.

If his form don't  improve from now I'd replace with someone like Adam Smith...quality underrated fullback.

Oh God. Not you again.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,327 posts | 181 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #164: Jan 22, 2017 07:50:31 pm
      I think when teams park the bus his poor offensive capabilities tend to overshine his defensive ones, so it's to be expected he's lackluster in those kind of games.

His form has been only average this season it seems to me, but since he seems to have played under some amount of pain and meds, I'll erase last game from my memory dataset :)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #165: Jan 22, 2017 08:13:23 pm
      I think when teams park the bus his poor offensive capabilities tend to overshine his defensive ones, so it's to be expected he's lackluster in those kind of games.

His form has been only average this season it seems to me, but since he seems to have played under some amount of pain and meds, I'll erase last game from my memory dataset :)

It's not his job to make the strike force function.

If we are relying on Clyne to spark a return in form of our attack we probably have bigger problems.

And like you say He has plenty of credit in the bank so can be forgiven for yesterday's defensive performance espmif the rumours are correct he played with pain killing injections.

jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,327 posts | 181 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #166: Jan 22, 2017 09:16:54 pm
      It's not his job to make the strike force function.

If we are relying on Clyne to spark a return in form of our attack we probably have bigger problems.

And like you say He has plenty of credit in the bank so can be forgiven for yesterday's defensive performance espmif the rumours are correct he played with pain killing injections.

I understand it isn't, but when you have Milner on the other side of the pitch and no natural wingers on the field, perhaps he could be dropped for a more offensively proeficient RB, like TAA?

Anyawy, I was just saying that Clyne is not the kind of player that will shine when facing bus-parking opposition; just a thought to have in mind when judging him in this kind of games.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #167: Jan 22, 2017 09:29:26 pm
      Worst game for the club yesterday but to be fair to him he's usually solid defensively for us.

Attack wise he doesn't offer us a lot especially against blanket defences. Maybe against that type of opponent at Anfield we should go with AA?
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #168: Jan 22, 2017 09:34:40 pm
      Duck for cover Nathan lad!!!
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #169: Feb 27, 2017 10:04:44 pm
      I've never commented on Clyne. Don't think many of us have either. That's probably because he's never really been the best or the worst player on the pitch.
      But it's becoming very clear to me that his offense play is honestly pretty terrible. He's quite bad at crossing, can't beat his man, doesn't know when to cut back.
      Sure he makes an ok full back, but looking at any other top team and you'd find us extremely weak on the wings. Especially with Milner being sh*t for the past few games, Clyne's weakness in attacking just becomes more evident.

MsGerrard
      Reply #170: Feb 28, 2017 03:24:31 pm
      Very dissapointed with Clyne recently, we were screamimg for him to go past his man last night, but he just wouldn't, he seems to have lost a huge amount of confidence in himself, shame as I always thought highly of him.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #171: Mar 12, 2017 05:59:03 pm
      Another terrible performance.
      Starting to feel we need an upgrade on him.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #172: Mar 12, 2017 06:02:42 pm
      Has turned into the archetype English wide player - every team's worst nightmare. Pace but no brains.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #173: Mar 12, 2017 06:28:51 pm
      Has turned into the archetype English wide player - every team's worst nightmare. Pace but no brains.

In his first season for us, I thought he was our player of the season, but he has slowly declined, especially when asked to be more offensive. I'm actually having doubts about him now :(
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #174: Mar 12, 2017 07:42:49 pm
      In his first season for us, I thought he was our player of the season, but he has slowly declined, especially when asked to be more offensive. I'm actually having doubts about him now :(

For me, both full backs are under scrutiny, for different reasons and I'd want new full backs as my priority. Who is another kettle of fish though.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #175: Mar 12, 2017 07:53:35 pm

Same here, I have always been one of his biggest fans for his defensive effort knowing he is limited going forward but recently his defensive game has gone to pot.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #176: Mar 12, 2017 08:08:26 pm
      Absolutely diabolical performance by Nat.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #177: Mar 12, 2017 08:22:15 pm
      I wish players would play the same way they played against us after we sign them! Clyne  It's better than he's showing.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Reply #178: Mar 13, 2017 05:52:54 pm
      Same here, I have always been one of his biggest fans for his defensive effort knowing he is limited going forward but recently his defensive game has gone to pot.

I too mate :mad:
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #179: Mar 13, 2017 11:32:28 pm
      Think he could do with a rest TBH. Featured in most of our games and it seems to have caught up with him.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #180: Mar 13, 2017 11:47:47 pm
      Been woeful for a little while especially in attack so much so teams have allowed him free reign and all the space he desires in the final third knowing he's got no end product.

Almost making me miss Glenn Johnson cutting in to shoot with his left every time.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #181: Mar 14, 2017 09:15:34 am
      The above comment does have me wondering whether we'd prefer Glen Johnson in his prime or Nathaniel Clyne...

I would probably take Glen in this current squad as his attacking attributes would get us plenty of goals!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #182: Mar 14, 2017 07:12:32 pm
      Been woeful for a little while especially in attack so much so teams have allowed him free reign and all the space he desires in the final third knowing he's got no end product.

Almost making me miss Glenn Johnson cutting in to shoot with his left every time.

Yep teams are giving him the freedom of the right, hoping we attack through him.

I really can't believe how a professional footballer at the top level of the game can be as poor on the ball as Clyne is.

It's almost comical.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #183: Mar 14, 2017 07:44:39 pm
      The above comment does have me wondering whether we'd prefer Glen Johnson in his prime or Nathaniel Clyne...

I would probably take Glen in this current squad as his attacking attributes would get us plenty of goals!

Wouldn't go anywhere near Glen Johnson. Indicative of our decline, his defending was an insult in comparison to Arbeloa and Finnan before him. We could and should have done so much better than Glen F***ing Johnson. Terrible defender.

Quick Reply