Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 12th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Brendan Rodgers. No excuses this time?

Read 40141 times
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers. No excuses this time?
      Reply #161: Sep 07, 2015 12:40:31 am

Supporters have always had to pay since there were professional teams.

At the match the team should be getting supported - entertaining football is a bonus but it's not the main aim of the enterprise; in our heyday there were plenty of games we won without playing entertaining football.

In fairness, the Anfield 12th man is not an advantage the team has enjoyed for a while - if anything a lot of the players look like they prefer playing at away grounds which is a disgrace.

As a club the owners, manager and players take stick on a weekly basis but the supporters have their part to play too and, at the moment, they are not doing so.

There's a massive problem with an entitlement mentality at this club. We need a better reason to expect success other than being big in the eighties.

Bill Shankly disagrees with you.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvvvv
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #162: Sep 07, 2015 08:18:36 am
      Bill Shankly disagrees with you.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvvvv

No he doesn't - unlike you he understood what it takes to win. If he thought that living off your history and name was enough he wouldn't have won a bean.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #163: Sep 07, 2015 12:05:44 pm
      No he doesn't - unlike you he understood what it takes to win. If he thought that living off your history and name was enough he wouldn't have won a bean.

Interesting association that my reference to a quote from one of the greatest managers in the history of the game all together means that I dont know what winning is. You're sharp and definitely know what it takes to be mature in an discussion.

The point is that if we don't expect success from as fans our team and our ownership, we won't even come close to it. Could you imagine if we as a set of fans just said, you know what JWH, we're satisfied with what you guys are doing, keep on being mediocre in our transfers and our table position, we don't expect anything better. I'm sure he'd love it, the club would fall even deeper into mediocrity, but he'd maintain the value of his investment and keep his bills nice and low.

Also, if that were the case, Anfield would be even more silent than it is. Fan interest and devotion at games is fueled by nothing more than the expectation that the team is going to go out and win, every time.

But don't worry, I'm not sure what it takes to win in your opinion.  :lmao:

F*cking laughable the sh*t that some people resort to on here. No worries, we'll go with whatever you say, winner.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,372 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #164: Sep 07, 2015 01:04:39 pm
      Isn't that the whole point. The team is meant to entertain us. You do realize don't you that the team gets paid to play. And we have to PAY to watch.

So , just so you get it. The team gets PAiD vast amounts  of money to PLAY FOOOTBALL. We have to PAY vast amounts of money to watch them. How dare we just sit on our arse doing nothing.

the team gets paid to do there jobs, which is winning games, doubt it says anywhere in there contract they have to do it while entertaining the crowd like the Harlem globetrotters. Anfield with the exception of the hardcore makes no effort to back the team until just after we score or maybe if the opponent scores we raise it for a minute or 2. Is that support?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,372 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #165: Sep 07, 2015 01:06:43 pm
      In fact i've got a better idea , BRIAN 78 ANFIELD HERO.

HA HA pathetic. Thats not a title me or anyone else asked for its given after donating to the forum. But thanks for noticing it there Ian st John. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,355 posts | 4969 
      Reply #166: Sep 07, 2015 02:01:34 pm
      No excuses? ? F**k up of a thread.

Disagree Stuey and it was started by one of Brendan's biggest supporters on here.

I think most would agree it is 'no excuses' time for the boss this season as he has had everything he has wanted this summer, and last except for the striker F**k up, so it can easily be argued he has no excuses left and needs to deliver.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #167: Sep 07, 2015 02:55:16 pm
      Interesting association that my reference to a quote from one of the greatest managers in the history of the game all together means that I dont know what winning is.

The point is that if we don't expect success from as fans our team and our ownership, we won't even come close to it. Could you imagine if we as a set of fans just said, you know what JWH, we're satisfied with what you guys are doing, keep on being mediocre in our transfers and our table position, we don't expect anything better. I'm sure he'd love it, the club would fall even deeper into mediocrity, but he'd maintain the value of his investment and keep his bills nice and low.

Also, if that were the case, Anfield would be even more silent than it is. Fan interest and devotion at games is fueled by nothing more than the expectation that the team is going to go out and win, every time.

But don't worry, I'm not sure what it takes to win in your opinion.  :lmao:

F*cking laughable the sh*t that some people resort to on here. No worries, we'll go with whatever you say, winner.

Nah - you missed the point.

There is no shortage of people who "expect success" but just expecting it doesn't get you anywhere. The expectation has to be based on tangible things that have been proven to lead to success or all you end up with is bitterness and a feeling of poor accomplishment. That is why we have the situation at Anfield where visting fans taunt us for the atmosphere. According to your theory it should be the opposite.

There is a sizeable proportion of fans who base their expectations on entitlement. That we deserve to win things just because we are Liverpool and not because we have the right structures or personnel or strategies in place.

That was what Shankly understood about winning and you do not.

You're sharp and definitely know what it takes to be mature in an discussion.

;D, what is they say about Americans not understanding irony again?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #168: Sep 07, 2015 06:56:39 pm
      Being one of the gaffers biggest supporters on here even I have to agree this season is make or break, he has had enough time in the transfer market, he has to make it work on the pitch. I still think he can have a good season and get into the top four but not sure if that will be enough for the owners or indeed the fans, so yes no excuses. Needs to be given the WHOLE season though.

Sorry...it's really difficult to concentrate on your post since you changed your avatar...  :o
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #169: Sep 07, 2015 07:45:09 pm
      Disagree Stuey and it was started by one of Brendan's biggest supporters on here.

I think most would agree it is 'no excuses' time for the boss this season as he has had everything he has wanted this summer, and last except for the striker F**k up, so it can easily be argued he has no excuses left and needs to deliver.

No disrespect to Mick mate but BR is a scapegoat for the woeful direction of the owners and I feel topics like this are negative and a distraction from the real issues.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,355 posts | 4969 
      Reply #170: Sep 07, 2015 10:41:40 pm
      No disrespect to Mick mate but BR is a scapegoat for the woeful direction of the owners and I feel topics like this are negative and a distraction from the real issues.

Maybe Stuey but many of us, Mick included, are fully aware of all the issues at the club but I'm not sure just because there may be things thatneed sorting above the manager that we just ignore any possible failings he may have in his job.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,672 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #171: Sep 07, 2015 11:25:02 pm
      I don't know.
      I'm starting to soften on the whole "No excuses front"
      Not like the Net Spend was anything to write home about and those who didn't fulfil their potential from last summer have been shipped out on loan. Squad still isn't anywhere near the likes of City or Chelsea.

Look back to the Title challenge and Suarez, Sterling, Gerrard are gone.
      Replaced with more youngsters.

Seems to me like the biggest issue becomes realising FSG are happy with their lot.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #172: Sep 08, 2015 12:28:49 am
      I don't know.
      I'm starting to soften on the whole "No excuses front"
      Not like the Net Spend was anything to write home about and those who didn't fulfil their potential from last summer have been shipped out on loan. Squad still isn't anywhere near the likes of City or Chelsea.

Look back to the Title challenge and Suarez, Sterling, Gerrard are gone.
      Replaced with more youngsters.

Seems to me like the biggest issue becomes realising FSG are happy with their lot.

I agree mate. I think we have come a very long way from the premise on which Brendan was originally recruited.

"Death by football"

I think the original idea was to build a football passing machine similar to the one at Swansea but with better players. One that could keep us in the top 4-6 without the demand for star players. I think the  reasons we diverted from that path was the fact that it wasn't working and the purchase and success of Sturridge and Coutinho and how they helped bring the best out of Suarez when we played a faster less possession focused game. 

However I don't believe that FSG ever intended or expected us to become regular title challengers, mainly because they just weren't willing to put the money in required to achieve that , but rather a team that challenged for the top 4 most seasons and hoped perhaps that we could take advantage of any bit of luck and one or two top sides rebuilding to have the odd title challenge to keep the natives off the war path.

FSG goals (imo) reduce the wage bill down to a level were we were no longer reliant on CL to support them. Build a team that relied less on top players more on the team ethic, hard work and a stylized way of playing. Bring in a steady supply of young players to feed that system without having to pay the wages or transfer fees that top players would demand.

Obviously the sale of big value players like Suarez and Sterling has allowed Brendan to bring in more players than we would otherwise have done, but by loaning players out managed to keep the wage bill and the squad lean.

The only area where I think FSG's patience is wearing thin is that quite a few of the more established players we have bought haven't performed to the level they would expect, the young potential being seen as much more of a gamble.

Reduce expectations, get the fans to see a top four challenge as success and sell any ambitious players who aren't happy to accept mediocrity.     
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #173: Sep 08, 2015 01:25:44 am
      I agree mate. I think we have come a very long way from the premise on which Brendan was originally recruited.

"Death by football"

I think the original idea was to build a football passing machine similar to the one at Swansea but with better players. One that could keep us in the top 4-6 without the demand for star players. I think the  reasons we diverted from that path was the fact that it wasn't working and the purchase and success of Sturridge and Coutinho and how they helped bring the best out of Suarez when we played a faster less possession focused game. 

However I don't believe that FSG ever intended or expected us to become regular title challengers, mainly because they just weren't willing to put the money in required to achieve that , but rather a team that challenged for the top 4 most seasons and hoped perhaps that we could take advantage of any bit of luck and one or two top sides rebuilding to have the odd title challenge to keep the natives off the war path.

FSG goals (imo) reduce the wage bill down to a level were we were no longer reliant on CL to support them. Build a team that relied less on top players more on the team ethic, hard work and a stylized way of playing. Bring in a steady supply of young players to feed that system without having to pay the wages or transfer fees that top players would demand.

Obviously the sale of big value players like Suarez and Sterling has allowed Brendan to bring in more players than we would otherwise have done, but by loaning players out managed to keep the wage bill and the squad lean.

The only area where I think FSG's patience is wearing thin is that quite a few of the more established players we have bought haven't performed to the level they would expect, the young potential being seen as much more of a gamble.

Reduce expectations, get the fans to see a top four challenge as success and sell any ambitious players who aren't happy to accept mediocrity.     

In most businesses this is such a recipe for disaster and probably his here too. You can't replace quality with potential ad infinitum or it is destined to fail. You may have the odd successful 'streak' but by all known statistics the 'potential' isn't going to develop and you're going to be left with a poorly performing business requiring immediate rescue.

I'm not sure we're quite there yet but in many fan's eyes we are. It's a question of perspective I suppose, from FSG's we're still probably running around even, they took over at team struggling to crack the top 4 and that's what we currently are but I think matters are worse than they appear. I think that team still had the players in it to provide a base to leap up from, right now I believe we're eroding our base the longer that FSG are in control and that the leap up is becoming a bigger and more difficult jump to make.

Played out in a simple scenario, would you pay the same price for fish and chips if you were served a potato, some fat and a fish egg? Of course not, it seems that's the question FSG are asking the fans and most are still chewing happily on that spud.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,632 posts | 765 
      Reply #174: Sep 08, 2015 02:45:11 am
      FSG aren't to blame for the simple mistakes Brendan has been making. Especially in the transfer market.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,632 posts | 765 
      Reply #175: Sep 08, 2015 02:48:18 am

Um...they explicitly said this in interviews when the club was first purchased. They said they loved the arsenal model.

Where have you been? ;D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #176: Sep 08, 2015 03:53:41 am
      Um...they explicitly said this in interviews when the club was first purchased. They said they loved the arsenal model.

Where have you been? ;D

Nah mate, all John Henry's early remarks were about winning. Something that seems to have taken a back seat to challenging, competing and qualifying over the last few years.

"It's too early to say what we're going to do," he said, "but obviously we're here to win and we'll do whatever is necessary."

"We regard our role as that of stewards for the Club with a primary focus on returning the Club to greatness on and off the field for the long-term.  We are committed first and foremost to winning

"We have a history of winning, and today we want LFC supporters to know that this approach is what we intend to bring to this great Club."

"We want to hear from those who know LFC best, who have made it the best and share our desire to return to a culture of winning."

"Most of all, we want to win. That ambition drives every decision. It is the Liverpool way. We can and will generate the revenues to achieve that aim.

"We have only one driving ambition at Liverpool and that is the quest to win the Premier League playing the kind of football our supporters want to see."

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #177: Sep 08, 2015 06:12:31 am

Brendan's only real excuse.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #178: Sep 08, 2015 06:59:07 am
      And you still have the myth that he has been totally backed they are taking the piss out of him and us .

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #179: Sep 08, 2015 07:06:52 am
      That may be so mate but if anyone is willing to let themselves be a scapegoat for anyone , they deserve what they get . He needs to grow a pair pretty rapid or he will be exactly that .
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #180: Sep 08, 2015 08:30:47 am

Much as I dislike Brenda, thats a pretty gigantic "excuse".
      FORTY PERCENT OF BOURNEMOUTH AND SUNDERLAND'S NET EXPENDITURE!!!

Basically every window under these cockroaches has been a joke. Even a supposed net spend above a few m was usually funded by wage cuts. And ofcourse nothing to cure the illness inflicted by G&H - only adding to the disease!

A club like Liverpool should be on over 30m a year net spend just to cover depreciation.

If people cant see that these are confidence tricksters after FIVE years, then they really aren't Liverpool fans. Or they have a major learning difficulty!

The fuckers wont get a single penny from me. They're just scum.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #181: Sep 08, 2015 10:14:26 am
      And you still have the myth that he has been totally backed they are taking the piss out of him and us .

Unqualified bollocks indeed Andy, you have to think long and hard in considering the motives and/or mindset of some who forego reality and condemn the manager. JWH & Co are no more than speculative jugglers.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #182: Sep 08, 2015 10:20:10 am
      That may be so mate but if anyone is willing to let themselves be a scapegoat for anyone , they deserve what they get . He needs to grow a pair pretty rapid or he will be exactly that .

Rafa was scapegoated unmercifully by some other Americans, he was blamed by some as was the intention but the deceit was unsustainable.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #183: Sep 08, 2015 10:29:49 am
      Much as I dislike Brenda, thats a pretty gigantic "excuse".
      FORTY PERCENT OF BOURNEMOUTH AND SUNDERLAND'S NET EXPENDITURE!!!

Basically every window under these cockroaches has been a joke. Even a supposed net spend above a few m was usually funded by wage cuts. And ofcourse nothing to cure the illness inflicted by G&H - only adding to the disease!

A club like Liverpool should be on over 30m a year net spend just to cover depreciation.

If people cant see that these are confidence tricksters after FIVE years, then they really aren't Liverpool fans. Or they have a major learning difficulty!

The fuckers wont get a single penny from me. They're just scum.

No, in no way should that be used as excuse for Rodgers.  One overinflated out distorts that picture and only Man United  & City spent more than us, going on those figures.  Some of those figures also bare no resemblance to the figures being discussed on a podcast I'm listening to right now, whose sources I trust.

Quick Reply