Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Christian Benteke Player Thread (Liverpool -> Crystal Palace)

Read 163721 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Christian Benteke Player Thread (Liverpool -> Crystal Palace)
      Reply #1748: Dec 17, 2016 01:55:16 pm
      In fairness Benteke was signed long after the lads had stopped pretending they were "right behind" Rodgers and had revealed (who knew?) that in actual fact they despised the ex manager with a passion. As he was the last big signing of a doomed and hated former boss, it would have made no difference if his first name was Lionel rather than Christian in their eyes.

Throw in that the new manager didn't think he fit with his style and that the big fellas confidence drained away while he was getting two minute cameos every week (who would have thunk that would happen?) and there was plenty of scope for people to be a little bit silly about him.

Not only that but you had folks who had said he wouldn't fit our style (under Rodgers) then applauding the fact that Jürgen had completely changed our style, but then telling us that they were "right all along" that he wouldn't fit our style. Don't ask me I'm as confused as you are.

The reality of course once all the nonsense has been stripped away is that Benteke is a very good premiership target man and goal scorer. He generally scores goals at around one in two matches (he even did that for us while we were laughing at him) and he will probably get a little better as time goes on. He's not a false 9, he's a real 9. Depends what you want really.

BTW I know loads of Palace supporters and a couple of players (they use the Alex) and the consensus seems to be that Benteke isn't actually settled yet. They say he's perhaps trying too hard and looks low on confidence. They are though convinced to a man that he is absolute quality, and that even though he's doing fine goals wise he'll do better going forward. We'll see.

Beneteke is good striker for Palace, that is his level, it nerver was and never will be for a team like Liverpool. By the way he didn't fit in under 2 managers and 2 styles at Liverpool so maybe it wasn't so much the style but just that he never found his groove despite plenty of chances, that's no reflection on him, it happens sometimes.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,505 posts | 709 
      Reply #1749: Apr 14, 2017 09:48:20 pm
      Beneteke is good striker for Palace, that is his level

he's scored 11 goals in the same league we play in, where we can't beat sh*t teams.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1750: Apr 14, 2017 09:52:00 pm
      he's scored 11 goals in the same league we play in, where we can't beat sh*t teams.

So how are we third in the league?

And remind me where Palace sit at the moment?
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,505 posts | 709 
      Reply #1751: Apr 15, 2017 12:37:40 am
      So how are we third in the league?

And remind me where Palace sit at the moment?

im just saying, saying palace is 'his level' is silly.

He's in a team that plays at a 'level' against the same teams we do every week. Call me crazy, but an extra 8 to 11 goals he might have got for us as a 'plan b' may have been worth the price. Who knows. We're 12 point off the top.
      Guruji
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 55 
      Reply #1752: Apr 15, 2017 06:07:11 pm
      Benteke has scored 12 league goals in 30 starts this season. Half of those starts have now come under Allardyce, a manager who you think would be absolutely perfect for him. To suggest he would've been a good "plan B" for us is quite simplistic considering his average level of output for Palace so far, especially when the team's style seems far more suited to him, and an in-form Zaha and Townsend providing ammunition from the flanks. Klopp would rarely start him, yet alone bring him on as a sub and discard the team's philosophy to suit Benteke (just see last season). And rightly so IMO - he just isn't prolific enough for an out-and-out striker at a big club.

He turns 27 in December so I guess his "peak" years are now coming - let's see how he performs in the next few seasons.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1753: Apr 15, 2017 06:51:07 pm
      Horses for courses. Big ben didn't suit Jurgens tactics so wasn't going to get games regardless of how many injuries we suffered to attacking players, but I never doubted his ability like some did. I always though he'd do well at another club when he left, just like Sturridge will when he goes, but there's no point flogging a dead horse by keeping players that Jürgen doesn't want.
      « Last Edit: Apr 15, 2017 10:25:04 pm by ORCHARD RED »
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,479 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1754: Apr 15, 2017 07:41:15 pm
      im just saying, saying palace is 'his level' is silly.

He's in a team that plays at a 'level' against the same teams we do every week. Call me crazy, but an extra 8 to 11 goals he might have got for us as a 'plan b' may have been worth the price. Who knows. We're 12 point off the top.

With Benteke, it's not so much a question of the teams he's playing against, as the ones he's playing for...
      1) he struggled with the pressure of playing with a club with the stature and history of Liverpool, were he's under more of a microscope, and higher expectation to score ... less pressure at the CPs of this world
      2) way too many times felt like he needed a damn good shake on the pitch - maybe his mental coach would've been better doing that than just talking to him
      3) can knock Firmino's scoring figures, but would still have him in the side ahead of Benteke most days. The way we play, just didnt suit him
      4) he had his chance - he wasn't terrible - he just wasn't good 'enough'
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,168 posts | 6344 
      Reply #1755: Apr 15, 2017 08:43:19 pm
      Who cares? He's gone, move on.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1756: Apr 17, 2017 10:04:05 pm
      Felliani is more mobile than Benteke, take away his elbow movements and that may change though.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,505 posts | 709 
      Reply #1757: Apr 23, 2017 06:39:07 pm
      Welp
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1758: Apr 23, 2017 10:08:57 pm
      Thanks for nothing fella. I thought when you missed that first shot you had you were trying to help us out but I suppose you gotta do what you gotta do. Shattered.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1759: Apr 24, 2017 07:42:46 am
      Thanks for nothing fella. I thought when you missed that first shot you had you were trying to help us out but I suppose you gotta do what you gotta do. Shattered.

2 chances gifted to him on a plate, nobody to blame but ourselves yet again

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1760: Apr 24, 2017 02:13:15 pm
      Aye he scored two goals and they won but he didn't even press or run eleventy-nine kilometres.

That aul 'one dimensional', centre forward scoring goals, lark will never catch on.😁

Joking aside; I thought it nice he kept the respect high by not celebrating. 😎
      « Last Edit: Apr 24, 2017 02:17:57 pm by bad boy bubby »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #1761: Apr 24, 2017 02:39:14 pm
      Aye he scored two goals and they won but he didn't even press or run eleventy-nine kilometres.

That aul 'one dimensional', centre forward scoring goals, lark will never catch on.😁

Joking aside; I thought it nice he kept the respect high by not celebrating. 😎

Fair play to the lad for not waving his arms about etc.
      Truth be told not many forwards in the various leagues would have missed those chances Benteke was gifted.
      « Last Edit: Apr 24, 2017 02:44:05 pm by stuey »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1762: Apr 24, 2017 02:41:31 pm
      With Benteke, it's not so much a question of the teams he's playing against, as the ones he's playing for...
      1) he struggled with the pressure of playing with a club with the stature and history of Liverpool,

Yeah I get that he "didn't fit" and all that but a goal every 169 mins is hardly 'struggling' [9 goals & 4 assists in 1529 mins] mate.

Couple that with, as you point out, the fact our style "didn't suit him" and I reckon the big lad did alright.

All irrelevant I suppose but he genuinely did alright for us if truth be told. 😞
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1763: Apr 24, 2017 03:15:45 pm
      Yeah I get that he "didn't fit" and all that but a goal every 169 mins is hardly 'struggling' [9 goals & 4 assists in 1529 mins] mate.

Couple that with, as you point out, the fact our style "didn't suit him" and I reckon the big lad did alright.

All irrelevant I suppose but he genuinely did alright for us if truth be told. 😞

As sh*te, not fitting or not mentality correct they are would we have had more squad balance and options with Benteke, Sakho and Markovic on the bench yesterday?

Wouldn't mind but two of the options weren't even out of our own hands to make happen.
      « Last Edit: Apr 24, 2017 03:27:48 pm by what-a-hit-son »
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #1764: Apr 24, 2017 04:40:56 pm
      As sh*te, not fitting or not mentality correct they are would we have had more squad balance and options with Benteke, Sakho and Markovic on the bench yesterday?

Wouldn't mind but two of the options weren't even out of our own hands to make happen.

At least the wage bill is lighter..FSG sees 3x10k/week sitting on the bench and not 3x100k/week..as long as Klopp is ok with it I don't see them complaining.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,505 posts | 709 
      Reply #1765: Apr 25, 2017 04:39:09 am
      At least the wage bill is lighter..FSG sees 3x10k/week sitting on the bench and not 3x100k/week..as long as Klopp is ok with it I don't see them complaining.

we've been trained to care about the wage bill. SMH
      RedWilly

• 9,176 posts | 1630 
      Reply #1766: Apr 25, 2017 05:38:25 am

I know! Which other clubs fans discuss their players wages as much as we do? Seriously!

Benteke always scores against us, should have sold him abroad :D
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,505 posts | 709 
      Reply #1767: Apr 25, 2017 02:52:25 pm
      I know! Which other clubs fans discuss their players wages as much as we do? Seriously!

or IMO kept him as a plan B. No matter the cost. His extra goals could have been worth an extra 12 points over all. That would be worth whatever 'wage' we're supposed to care about as fans.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #1768: Apr 25, 2017 03:33:25 pm

I don't care about the wage bill..I was just pointing out how Fsg most likely see it.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1769: Apr 25, 2017 05:28:59 pm
      Was going to make the same point, but add that he only score occasionally  against other top clubs... Think that speak more to our defense that Benteke's abilities
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,505 posts | 709 
      Reply #1770: Apr 25, 2017 08:24:13 pm
      I don't care about the wage bill..I was just pointing out how Fsg most likely see it.

i dont mean u, a lot of our fans talk about net spend and wage bills

Quick Reply