Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread (D)

Read 206347 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,976 posts | 3059 
      Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread (D)
      Reply #1817: Apr 25, 2024 08:31:08 am
      Absolute liability and disaster class last night. Whole team is unsettled to accomodate him.

New gaffer needs to decide if he's a fullback or a midfielder and  he needs to defend like either.

He actually pulled out of even challenging for their 2nd.

Few others shirked a few last night mind.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 889 posts | 174 
      Reply #1818: Apr 25, 2024 09:20:26 am
      If he's not standing over a free kick which he can whip it top bins from or has the freedom of the park to finally find someone from 1 of his 1000 hollywood attempts, he does absolutely nothing for me.

& vice captain he certainly is not.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,033 posts | 534 
      Reply #1819: Apr 25, 2024 10:10:11 am
      Absolute liability and disaster class last night. Whole team is unsettled to accomodate him.

New gaffer needs to decide if he's a fullback or a midfielder and  he needs to defend like either.

He actually pulled out of even challenging for their 2nd.

Few others shirked a few last night mind.

Yeah Virgil was getting blamed for that but Trent was right next to Calvert-Lewin (not sure why that was a good match up to begin with right enough) and just didn't bother challenging him. It was a great spring by C-L and Trent wouldn't have outjumped him but obviously you have to at least jump into him and try and throw off the header. He just didn't bother.

Said in the match thread that Trent has been indulged for years. It's one of the few criticisms I've had of Jürgen that he hasn't given Trent a sufficient kick up the arse to improve his defending, or to improve his attitude to defending.

And when you've got one defender who is so complacent about defending, and it is treated as ok, gradually that complacency can spread across your back 4. We've seen this be a problem now for the last 2 years. The excuse from last year about having too many old, knackered players in front of them no longer applies. And it's clearly a mental thing - complacency - cos that's why it happens so much early in games rather than being spread evenly over the 90.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,594 posts | 745 
      Reply #1820: Apr 25, 2024 08:55:34 pm
      I'm not one to bash a player.

But he does not want to play in defense. If we are going to lay the blame on any single person, i would say Trent affected the result more than any other outfield player on both of Evertons goals.

He simply does not want to defend.

I wouldn't even put him in midfield. Those guys still defend. He's acting like he's part of the front 3
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,297 posts | 1666 
      Reply #1821: Apr 25, 2024 11:40:47 pm
      I'm not one to bash a player.

But he does not want to play in defense. If we are going to lay the blame on any single person, i would say Trent affected the result more than any other outfield player on both of Evertons goals.

He simply does not want to defend.

I wouldn't even put him in midfield. Those guys still defend. He's acting like he's part of the front 3

Big decisions lie.ahead.around.his contract firstly.and then position wise..He was at fault for both goals really second more than first I want him out of defense why I said we need a RB to go with Bradley. https://x.com/FBAwayDays/status/1783497115513094362
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,033 posts | 534 
      Reply #1822: Apr 26, 2024 12:14:13 am
      Big decisions lie.ahead.around.his contract firstly.and then position wise..He was at fault for both goals really second more than first I want him out of defense why I said we need a RB to go with Bradley. https://x.com/FBAwayDays/status/1783497115513094362

It is unacceptable. I don't want to see Trent sold. I want him to be told that if he treats defending as an optional extra he will be dropped for Bradley. This should have happened a long time ago but we never had a good enough alternative RB to do it. Now we do and hopefully the new manager will be prepared to bench him if he's doing sh*t like that.

I also don't want to see him moved to midfield. That's what he's angling for, we'd be rewarding him for not defending! No he has to stay at RB, which is probably his best position anyway, til he learns to do all aspects of his job and not just the bits he likes.

Longer term, once he's shown he's prepared to do the ugly stuff, he could possibly play on the right wing as a sort of Beckham type winger. But that would only really work in a 4 4 2, so unlikely to happen.

The one risk with taking a stronger line with him is that he is entering the last year of his contract, so could take the hump and just run it down. He needs to be offered a new deal and get it signed asap.
      If he refuses to sign then unfortunately we will need to cash him in, cos it's not worth losing him for nothing next year.
      Don77

• 6,554 posts | 1094 
      Reply #1823: Apr 26, 2024 12:37:23 am
      https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6Mm0x3Afg6/?igsh=anl2OHFmeWswNHMw

Absolute liability. Not interested in defending. Lazy, arrogant ... not improved ... only regressed. End of chat.
      Don77

• 6,554 posts | 1094 
      Reply #1824: Apr 26, 2024 12:44:52 am
      It is unacceptable. I don't want to see Trent sold. I want him to be told that if he treats defending as an optional extra he will be dropped for Bradley. This should have happened a long time ago but we never had a good enough alternative RB to do it. Now we do and hopefully the new manager will be prepared to bench him if he's doing sh*t like that.

I also don't want to see him moved to midfield. That's what he's angling for, we'd be rewarding him for not defending! No he has to stay at RB, which is probably his best position anyway, til he learns to do all aspects of his job and not just the bits he likes.

Longer term, once he's shown he's prepared to do the ugly stuff, he could possibly play on the right wing as a sort of Beckham type winger. But that would only really work in a 4 4 2, so unlikely to happen.

The one risk with taking a stronger line with him is that he is entering the last year of his contract, so could take the hump and just run it down. He needs to be offered a new deal and get it signed asap.
      If he refuses to sign then unfortunately we will need to cash him in, cos it's not worth losing him for nothing next year.

As ive said week in week out hes only interested in one side of the game. Lazy. Only reason hes in is because bradley is injured. As bad as hes ever been. Total passenger.

But as i always say. This club never learns. Karius, Thiago, chamberlain, keita, not fixing the midfield, nunez, diaz ... trent. The club has to go through serious pain to addess what is obvious to everyone with a brain. Well it cost us another title. So carry on ...
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,448 posts | 3427 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1825: Apr 26, 2024 01:28:43 am
      Nobody covered themselves in glory for the second goal. Look at the whole set up and not just Trent. More pathetic hysterical nonsense. I do agree that we need to decide on his role on the side.
      « Last Edit: Apr 26, 2024 01:35:21 am by FATKOPITE10 »
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,398 posts | 2825 
      Reply #1826: Apr 26, 2024 07:57:59 am
      He’s still going to have a defend a lot from midfield though. Look at the Palace goal from a couple of weeks ago - it’ll be his job to be covering those.

Wherever he plays next season he needs to step up.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,884 posts | 421 
      Reply #1827: Apr 26, 2024 08:18:30 am
      Nobody covered themselves in glory for the second goal. Look at the whole set up and not just Trent. More pathetic hysterical nonsense. I do agree that we need to decide on his role on the side.

It wasn't great was it when you look at it but DCL excels in the air and had the run on him. At most he could have put him off a bit better but the whole thing was thrown into chaos when VVD was blocked off.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,594 posts | 745 
      Reply #1828: Apr 26, 2024 03:03:15 pm
      This is generally upsetting.

Pundits and social media accounts will have you blaming Nunez, Virgil, Diaz, i even seen people blaming Robertson.

But i'm sorry, thats all rubbish. If Bradley (or a defensive minded right back) plays, we're not conceding those goals.

https://streamable.com/q9qtj7

https://streamable.com/yifb1y

The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 889 posts | 174 
      Reply #1829: Apr 26, 2024 03:12:15 pm
      I honestly believe Trent does more wrong than right and has more weaknesses in his game than strengths.

His work rate for 1 for a born red, is F***ing horrific.

As Scotia mentioned at the top of this page, we play better with a RB playing at RB and not having to disrupt the whole team just to accommodate for him.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,594 posts | 745 
      Reply #1830: Apr 26, 2024 03:14:01 pm
      I honestly believe Trent does more wrong than right and has more weaknesses in his game than strengths.

As Scotia mentioned at the top of this page, we play better with a RB playing at RB and not having to disrupt the whole team just to accommodate for him.

Just play him right wing.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 889 posts | 174 
      Reply #1831: Apr 26, 2024 03:38:41 pm

Mmmmh, wouldn't be all against it but if we're playing 4231 next season then maybe Szobo out to the right and Trent playing the 10? Maybe we could try that out for 1 season like we did with Stevie before he becomes more of an 8.....
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,185 posts | 1099 
      Reply #1832: Apr 26, 2024 04:40:10 pm
      I wanna see him in a double pivot
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,594 posts | 745 
      Reply #1833: Apr 26, 2024 05:32:00 pm

you still have to defend in a double pivot. He's simply not interested. He's not even jumping for headers.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,033 posts | 534 
      Reply #1834: Apr 26, 2024 05:35:05 pm
      This is generally upsetting.

Pundits and social media accounts will have you blaming Nunez, Virgil, Diaz, i even seen people blaming Robertson.

But i'm sorry, thats all rubbish. If Bradley (or a defensive minded right back) plays, we're not conceding those goals.

https://streamable.com/q9qtj7

https://streamable.com/yifb1y

The first one isn't great but can happen, in the sense that you can say well he's just not great at defending.

The second can't happen. He sees Calvert Lewin coming and actually gets out of his way to give him a free header. You can't have a player just opting out of doing their job like that. Next year it should be - do that and your benched. Don't care how good a right foot you've got.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,004 posts | 224 
      Reply #1835: Apr 26, 2024 06:13:13 pm

Abel Xavier better defender than Trent
      https://youtu.be/rnggnRDWUbU?si=JnyVaZMydYkOtr20
      « Last Edit: Apr 26, 2024 06:20:02 pm by verde-rubro »
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,226 posts | 1222 
      Reply #1836: Apr 26, 2024 06:52:19 pm

Nah, just a more flamboyant Barnet.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,594 posts | 745 
      Reply #1837: Apr 26, 2024 07:41:13 pm
      The first one isn't great but can happen, in the sense that you can say well he's just not great at defending.

The second can't happen. He sees Calvert Lewin coming and actually gets out of his way to give him a free header. You can't have a player just opting out of doing their job like that. Next year it should be - do that and your benched. Don't care how good a right foot you've got.

I feel like the 1st one is even worse than the 2nd. (Both terrible btw)

Everton put the ball back in to the box and he's OUTSIDE the box, not even busting a gut to get back and defend inside the box. AS A RIGHT BACK.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,033 posts | 534 
      Reply #1838: Apr 26, 2024 08:26:38 pm
      I feel like the 1st one is even worse than the 2nd. (Both terrible btw)

Everton put the ball back in to the box and he's OUTSIDE the box, not even busting a gut to get back and defend inside the box. AS A RIGHT BACK.

It's poor. But it's not in the same league as being the guy defending the back post, seeing their striker running in to meet a ball to the back post, and going "I think I'll just get out of this guy's way cos he obviously quite fancies this."

Honestly, that is one of the most pathetic pieces of defending I've seen in top level football. You see it in kids football but not at adult level, never mind this level. He doesn't just fail to challenge C-L, he literally moves out of his way cos he doesnt want to challenge him! It's really really bad.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,302 posts | 2846 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1839: Apr 26, 2024 08:39:17 pm
      Are we heading in the direction here of if a big offer come in you would all gladly sell?

Im top of the list for not wanting to ever see him at full back again, but I think his ability would be a massive loss if he wasnt there

Quick Reply