Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread (D)

Read 217563 times
      AlwaysTheKop, Breeding-Reds-In-The-434, harrydunn08 and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,067 posts | 548 
      Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread (D)
      Reply #1909: May 23, 2024 08:19:46 pm
      Trent at LB 😱

He'd be better off using Gomez.

He might play Gomez there yeah, he's not got many options there and imo it's Joe's best position.

Don't really see why Trent couldn't play there though. The pros n cons are much the same as at RB. Main difference is that it's a bit easier to play the inverted role there, for the reason I mentioned. Depends whether Southgate would prefer that or have him go more on the outside. (That's if he wants him at FB at all, which he doesn't seem to. But his shortage of LBs could tempt him.)

Defensively, it could be a better position for Trent IF the opposition are playing an inverted winger, who wants to cut inside all the time. He'd be cutting onto Trent's stronger foot.

I'd be interested to see it. At the end of the day, though, I think Trent just needs to apply himself more defensively, whatever side he got played on.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #1910: May 24, 2024 09:14:08 am
      He can't defend though, the laziness he has in letting players past without making a challenge, struggling to deal with balls flighted over him. Trent has always been praised as a right back for going forward, balls he plays and in general his attacking play, very rarely it's about his defensive play.

I know. That's my point - I don't think putting him in midfield takes away the defensive weakness....could even magnify it.

Such a talent but the inverted thing needs to stop. It's hurt more than helped us.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,378 posts | 4978 
      Reply #1911: May 24, 2024 10:34:56 am
      I know. That's my point - I don't think putting him in midfield takes away the defensive weakness....could even magnify it.

Such a talent but the inverted thing needs to stop. It's hurt more than helped us.

If he moves to midfield has to be as either an attacking 8 or wide right in 4 2 3 1.

I agree on playing him DM he's not suitable for that. I do even agree with a lot of the talk of his defensive lapses at RB. For me I still think he can make a great RB but in th right system and possibly Slots double pivot provides the solidity Jurgens attacking 4 3 3 didn't always do?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3395 
      Reply #1912: May 24, 2024 12:03:44 pm
      We've seen some games where Trent has had top drawer wingers in his back pocket, so he can defend but he doesn't do it consistently. And we've seen him be one of the finest right backs we've ever had when he's had players in front of him who will work their bollocks off to cover the spaces he leaves.

Over the years though, he's gone from a kid trying to establish himself in the team to becoming a guaranteed starter no matter what. Now, and this may change with Slot taking over, is the first time he's had some real competition for his place in the side with the emergence of Conor Bradley. Competition for places is always a good thing because it forces players to improve if they want to keep their place.

If we can keep Trent and Conor fit at the same time next season, I think there's a good chance that we'll see Trent as good as he's ever been.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #1913: May 24, 2024 12:20:06 pm
      If he moves to midfield has to be as either an attacking 8 or wide right in 4 2 3 1.

I agree on playing him DM he's not suitable for that. I do even agree with a lot of the talk of his defensive lapses at RB. For me I still think he can make a great RB but in th right system and possibly Slots double pivot provides the solidity Jurgens attacking 4 3 3 didn't always do?

All fair points Si
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #1914: May 24, 2024 12:50:49 pm
      Not sure I’d be bragging about that if I was Lijinders.

Don’t think the inverted full back has worked out for us and Trent’s best performances have all come when he’s stayed out wide and played more like a proper RB.

Yes our Pep seemed like to talk quite a bit :)
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,067 posts | 548 
      Reply #1915: May 24, 2024 05:00:33 pm
      We've seen some games where Trent has had top drawer wingers in his back pocket, so he can defend but he doesn't do it consistently. And we've seen him be one of the finest right backs we've ever had when he's had players in front of him who will work their bollocks off to cover the spaces he leaves.

Over the years though, he's gone from a kid trying to establish himself in the team to becoming a guaranteed starter no matter what. Now, and this may change with Slot taking over, is the first time he's had some real competition for his place in the side with the emergence of Conor Bradley. Competition for places is always a good thing because it forces players to improve if they want to keep their place.

If we can keep Trent and Conor fit at the same time next season, I think there's a good chance that we'll see Trent as good as he's ever been.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping. Thought it might happen this season but Trent was injured when Conor was playing and then Conor got injured just as Trent came back.

I agree that Trent can defend ok when he applies himself. There's really no reason why he cant be a great fullback.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 856 posts | 306 
      Reply #1916: May 24, 2024 09:25:32 pm

We might get to watch him play as DM for England in the Euros. I think they will play 4-2-3-1 with Rice +1 other and I think Trent might be a bit ahead of Gallagher as the +1.

I know the Euros are different from PL but it will be interesting to see how he gets on if that is Southgate's plan.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,445 posts | 6432 
      Reply #1917: Jun 04, 2024 01:45:05 pm
      So good game eh Trent?
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,632 posts | 765 
      Reply #1918: Jun 04, 2024 03:38:47 pm

i didn't watch the game, but i saw people say he was moved to right back at some point in the 2nd half and played better there (and also got his goal from that area)

can anyone confirm ? ;D
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,792 posts | 7190 
      Reply #1919: Jun 04, 2024 06:08:21 pm
      When Trent and Robbo were flying down the flanks we were awesome leave him at RB
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,345 posts | 2775 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1920: Jun 04, 2024 06:22:24 pm
      When Trent and Robbo were flying down the flanks we were awesome leave him at RB

Big big mistake, he doesn’t even want to play that position anyone as he knows that’s his weakness.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,233 posts | 241 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #1921: Jun 05, 2024 12:39:55 pm
      i didn't watch the game, but i saw people say he was moved to right back at some point in the 2nd half and played better there (and also got his goal from that area)

can anyone confirm ? ;D

He was moved to RB around the 70min mark when Gomez came on at LB and Wharton was introduced to play alongside Gallagher. He was still playing some good stuff in the double pivot although most of it came in the 2nd half. It was a terrible side, he had next to nothing to do defensively, don't recall him even needing to muster into a sprint so it enabled him to do what he wants to be doing on a football pitch.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,792 posts | 7190 
      Reply #1922: Jun 05, 2024 04:04:23 pm
      Big big mistake, he doesn’t even want to play that position anyone as he knows that’s his weakness.

Bollix check our goals conceded Trents assists and trophies won whilst he was RB .when he is crossing from the other end of the pitch its not job to cover the space vacated.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,739 posts | 3948 
      Reply #1923: Jun 08, 2024 11:39:45 am
      Trent with a squad number 8, looks like Southgate is planning to start him at the euros

Can imagine it’ll be Trent, Rice and Bellingham as a mid 3.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #1924: Jun 08, 2024 01:12:17 pm
      Hope he has a decent tournament, although rather him save his cracking goals, for the Reds next season !
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 1118 
      Reply #1925: Jun 09, 2024 08:31:01 pm
      As much as all yall hate Sputhgate, he could honestly help us a lot with Trent. He's given him his opportunity to play the midfield, up to our boy to take the bull by the horns. Very excited to see how he does. Wearing number 8 in the Euros. Hope he balls out and forces Slots hand on the midfield decision
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,792 posts | 7190 
      Reply #1926: Jun 10, 2024 02:34:43 pm
      Still see RM are stiring the sh*t.Tell the to F**k off.
      In 2020 we conceded 35 goals won the league and had hthe best defensive record. Don't listen to the experts look at the facts. Attack is the best form of defence.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 1118 
      Reply #1927: Today at 09:31:51 pm
      Whoa. That was rough to watch. Maybe he is a RB  :lmao:
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,932 posts | 975 
      Reply #1928: Today at 09:32:53 pm
      Not a very convincing performance in CM today.  I think we need to appreciate Trent for what he is, which is a defensively mediocre RB who is much better going forward than defending and will contribute to siginificantly more G/A in attack than he causes us to concede in defense.  But he's still a RB.  Not a CM, RM, RWB, CDM, etc....
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,154 posts | 2147 
      Reply #1929: Today at 09:40:45 pm
      I've never known such a gifted player who comes in for such extreme criticism. The micro level of analysis on this fella is just pathetic. The man offers a dimension that no other. Anyone with a modicum of observational skills would realise he was one of the critical points in making us title challengers for most of last season. If he hadn't got injured after Christmas who knows what we'd have done.

Back to this match against Serbia - you can bet he'll come in for pelters from the pound shop National Front that is the England supporters while overlooking the atrocity of Phil Foden's performance who, as I type, is STILL on the field.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,378 posts | 4978 
      Reply #1930: Today at 09:43:40 pm
      Not a very convincing performance in CM today.  I think we need to appreciate Trent for what he is, which is a defensively mediocre RB who is much better going forward than defending and will contribute to siginificantly more G/A in attack than he causes us to concede in defense.  But he's still a RB.  Not a CM, RM, RWB, CDM, etc....

Agree completely.

A drum I've been banging for a while.

Coax him back into the frightening attaching RB he was at our best under Jürgen and what a player you have.

Memory could be cloudy but the performance against Leicester springs to mind
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,932 posts | 975 
      Reply #1931: Today at 09:56:00 pm
      Agree completely.

A drum I've been banging for a while.

Coax him back into the frightening attaching RB he was at our best under Jürgen and what a player you have.

Memory could be cloudy but the performance against Leicester springs to mind

Trent was at his best when we had a high-energy midfield featuring Gini and Hendo.  The defensive work of those 2 plus Fab allowed us to benefit from Trent's strengths, while covering for his weaknesses.  Slot needs to get the balance right, bit for me TAA needs to remain at RB. 

Quick Reply