Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Pre-Match - Stoke V Liverpool 9 Aug 2015, KO: 16:00

Read 18887 times
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Re: Pre-Match - Stoke V Liverpool 9 Aug 2015, KO: 16:00
      Reply #69: Aug 07, 2015 03:28:22 pm
      Cliff notes from the presser.

When asked about the new season:
      "We've had a very good pre-season and I've been delighted with the response from the players."

When asked about pressure:
      "There is no difference now in terms of pressure. This has always been a club under huge scrutiny."

Rodgers on Benteke:
      "Benteke is the type who fits perfectly for us. He has massive potential. He can play the power game & his movement is very clever"

When asked about any outgoing transfers:
      "Nothing on outgoings at this stage. Every player knows exactly where they stand. It's unfair to talk about any individuals."

When questioned about corresponding fixture last season:
      "We will certainly be better than we were at Stoke last season. We lacked in everything that day."
      Asked if Liverpool owe the fans a result: "100%. A score like that should never happen. We owe them"

When questioned about objectives/top four:
      "Our first objective is to arrive in the top four. We'll look to put up a greater fight than last season."

Injuries update:
      Rodgers says Joe Allen will be out for 3 to 4 weeks with a hamstring strain. "Jon is working well, is on target for a return before Christmas. Daniel will hopefully be back in early September."

Rodgers on Milner:
      "When there was the possibility he was available, we were surprised, but hopeful we could get him His talent is undeniable. He is in two and a half hours before he trains and he gives his maximum in his work. He prepares himself as an elite player should.
      "He has great character and will be a great allay for Jordan Henderson. He is a great character in the dressing room. "James is someone I'd admired for a long time.  He gives everything. He's always in here two & a half hours before we train."

Also confirmed as Vice Captain.

Rodgers on staff changes:
      "It is working so well so far. It was needed. It has galvanised the players with the new players coming in and the three coaches coming in. You can't perform like we did it the end of last season if you want to be a top club."

Source: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-news-transfer-rumours-9807703
      viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #70: Aug 07, 2015 03:35:21 pm
      I think Can is gonna play instead of Ibe or Lallana... Can, Henderson, Millner; Firmino, Coutinho, Benteke.
      Brown1
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #71: Aug 07, 2015 03:47:56 pm
      I do hope we don't have a repeat of last season game!, what I have seen of pre-season games we still have weak midfield which might not cope with Charlie Adam & Co, especially Henderson he is very weak, but BR will play him because he is the club skipper!.. I don't have any faith in BR and his system of play.

It will big result we can manage one point!, although I am not banking on that.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #72: Aug 07, 2015 05:00:15 pm
      I do hope we don't have a repeat of last season game!, what I have seen of pre-season games we still have weak midfield which might not cope with Charlie Adam & Co, especially Henderson he is very weak, but BR will play him because he is the club skipper!.. I don't have any faith in BR and his system of play.

Welcome to the forum.

Last season is over.

Move on.

New season.

Our midfield is better.

Our squad is better.

We will beat Stoke.

YNWA
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #73: Aug 07, 2015 05:02:21 pm

If you think it's a big result to manage just one point against Stoke after the key players they've lost then somethings going wrong.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #74: Aug 07, 2015 05:30:06 pm

What an optimistic first post.  :lmao:

In all seriousness though I can't f**king wait for the season to start.

First fixture is always tough, especially with a pretty fresh squad with not a lot of time to gel. But I think that the quality of our side should outweigh any other factors and I'm hoping we'll breeze to a 3-0 victory here, but can see us conceding one and making it close, especially if we're operating with the Hendo-Milner duo in front of the back four.

Hoping Can gets in there allowing Hendo and Milner to be released as box-to-box men supporting Couts-Firmino-Benteke. I just think that Can offers more to the side than Lallana is capable of. But who knows. Regardless, I'm thinking a win no matter who we put out there.

Let's get this started.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #75: Aug 07, 2015 05:34:22 pm

Excellent 1st time post...you will fit in well here.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #76: Aug 07, 2015 05:52:10 pm
      Bib theory (if you're inclined to believe it) suggests:

Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Lovren, Gomez, Lucas, Can, Firmino, Coutinho, Ibe, Benteke

Would mean a bench of:

Bogdan, Henderson, Milner, Ings, Origi, Markovic, Sakho
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #77: Aug 07, 2015 05:53:38 pm

Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Lovren, Gomez, Lucas, Can, Firmino, Coutinho, Ibe, Benteke

Absolutely no chance of Milner and Hendo missing out unless they're both injured.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #78: Aug 07, 2015 05:54:27 pm
      Absolutely no chance of Milner and Hendo missing out unless they're both injured.

Yeah I'm not really inclined to go by what we see with bibs in training, but I know a few keep an eye on it.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #79: Aug 07, 2015 06:00:27 pm

Wouldn't complain if I see that team come out vs Stoke.

Clyne, Skrtel, Lovren, Gomez
                     Lucas
                 Ibe       Can
                   Coutinho
             Benteke   Firmino
      dflfc1
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts | 18 
      Reply #80: Aug 07, 2015 06:09:52 pm
      Wouldn't complain if I see that team come out vs Stoke.

Lucas
                 Ibe       Can
                   Coutinho
             Benteke   Firmino
      I wouldnt mind it at all either but I dont think we'd see Ibe as a CM.

If that was the team I think it would look like this:

Lucas
              Coutinho   Can
        Ibe         Benteke    Firmino

Hope we dont see Coutinho forced out wide as I believe he has always been most effective through the middle.       

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #81: Aug 07, 2015 06:23:37 pm
      I wouldnt mind it at all either but I dont think we'd see Ibe as a CM.

I was thinking more like how Di Maria played for Real(http://i.imgur.com/Nt8Lq3R.png), I think Ibe can play in that role and become a monster :D

Hope we dont see Coutinho forced out wide as I believe he has always been most effective through the middle.

Couldn't agree more :)
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #82: Aug 07, 2015 06:26:18 pm
      How can you go by the bibs in training? So, it's as simple as us looking at photos and getting a full idea of who will play before any of our future matches, it's as easy as that for us and the team we're are playing can set up their team by knowing who we'll play beforehand?
      I'm a bit confused how that's allowed to be a thing.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #83: Aug 07, 2015 06:54:00 pm
      How can you go by the bibs in training? So, it's as simple as us looking at photos and getting a full idea of who will play before any of our future matches, it's as easy as that for us and the team we're are playing can set up their team by knowing who we'll play beforehand?

Bib theory has worked before depending on the manager. But I also know that sometimes coaches will mix and match teams by position sets in order to make sure everyone's on their toes and aren't breezing past a lineup in a scrimmage. Sometimes we'd lineup with two teams of 11 for a scrimmage with the starting keeper, defense, and attack on one side with a backup midfield matching up against the starting midfield playing with a backup team. Allows themidfield to try and unlock a better defense, etc.

Wouldn't look too deep into it and definitely do not think that we'll be going into the first match with our captain and new vice-captain on the bench.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #84: Aug 07, 2015 06:56:24 pm
      Anyone who thinks the thought of going into this game without Milner and Hendo has even entered Brendan's mind needs their head looked at.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #85: Aug 07, 2015 07:21:07 pm
      Going into this match a lot more confident than a couple of months ago when I think we all pretty much expected us to get beat. Now, it's a new season and time to put all them wrongs right.

We had a successful pre-season so time to build on that.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #86: Aug 07, 2015 07:22:20 pm

Bib theory has worked before depending on the manager. But I also know that sometimes coaches will mix and match teams by position sets in order to make sure everyone's on their toes and aren't breezing past a lineup in a scrimmage. Sometimes we'd lineup with two teams of 11 for a scrimmage with the starting keeper, defense, and attack on one side with a backup midfield matching up against the starting midfield playing with a backup team. Allows themidfield to try and unlock a better defense, etc.

Wouldn't look too deep into it and definitely do not think that we'll be going into the first match with our captain and new vice-captain on the bench.

Anyone who thinks the thought of going into this game without Milner and Hendo has even entered Brendan's mind needs their head looked at.

:laugh:

Only providing information that I know some people like to read into. Have already said the team that I'd like to see. ;D

Looking forward to this.

Hoping we can get our revenge for the trouncing we took on the last day of the season. Let's hope the lads are fired up for it.

I also think srslfc has got the line up spot on:

Mignolet

Clyne    Skrtel    Lovren    Gomez

Milner  Henderson

Ibe               Coutinho          Lallana

Benteke

sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 61 
      Reply #87: Aug 07, 2015 08:32:39 pm
      I can't wait for this one,there will be no repeat of last season's scoreline,confident we will get the 3 points.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #88: Aug 07, 2015 09:47:54 pm
      Whatever the set up, I think Milner will be a sure start in the middle of the park. Think his decision to join us was based a lot on regular appearances, which he wasn't getting at City.
      As for the game itself. Once the fixtures were released, I got to thinking last seasons stuffing was for a reason. So first game this season, we go straight at it and hammer these tw*ts, and that becomes our marker for the season. Make a massive statement, stack the confidence sky high, get the new lads up and running, and move on to the next one.
      I'm going for a 1 - 5 to the red men thank you very much. We're gonna batter teams into submission with our new physical presence in the middle and up top. And the class in Coutinho and Firminho will open and direct teams at will.
       COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS!!!!!        :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1:

coxxy
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #89: Aug 07, 2015 10:27:53 pm
      We don't seem to have much of defensive protection or a defence especially in the middle of the park so I think brentan is going for the keegan attack is the best form of defence approach unless o'driscoll can sort out our dodgy defending, especially from set-pieces, for which big ben should help immensely with his heading power.

I have been shortlisted for the season ticket holders role on the lfc supporters committee after 24 years in the kop, would really appreciate any votes, I hope I can do the fans proud.

http://liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/190068-vote-to-help-shape-future-of-the-club

thanks all, Paul Wilcox.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #90: Aug 07, 2015 10:31:15 pm

Was a bit shocked to see those suggestions alright.

Migs
      Clyne Skrtel Lovren Gomez
          Hendo Milner Coutinho
             Ibe Benteke Lallana

Lallana replaced with Firmino. Ings on for Ibe.

Going forward we could also play... but this lacks with.

Can
      Hendo              Milner
           Coutinho Firmino
                  Benteke

Can might struggle to get into this squad this season. Studge comes back and Ibe and Lallana will too.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #91: Aug 08, 2015 07:36:46 am

Thanks my mate, forgot i even posted that ;D. Really excited about tomorrow though.
      Not sure what a scrimmage is tbh, sounds like a vegetable of some sort.
      Caaaan't wait!

Quick Reply