Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Will the Redmen win their first home game of the season?

Yes - easy 3 points
      71 (92.2%)
      Draw - points dropped
      3 (3.9%)
      Lose - surely not !
      3 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Pre Match: Liverpool v AFC Bournemouth Mon 17th August 20:00 KO

Read 24755 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Liverpool v AFC Bournemouth Mon 17th August 20:00 KO
      Reply #69: Aug 14, 2015 04:19:13 pm
      Provisional squad vs Bournemouth: Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Lovren, Gomez, Henderson, Milner, Coutinho, Lallana, Ibe, Benteke, Bogdan, Toure, Moreno, Can, Firmino, Origi, Ings, Lucas, Sakho.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #70: Aug 14, 2015 04:32:38 pm
      Barring injuries same 11. No need to change a winning formula this early into the season
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #71: Aug 14, 2015 04:33:21 pm
      Provisional squad vs Bournemouth: Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Lovren, Gomez, Henderson, Milner, Coutinho, Lallana, Ibe, Benteke, Bogdan, Toure, Moreno, Can, Firmino, Origi, Ings, Lucas, Sakho.

That would seem to suggest Can is starting from the bench, personally I'd be very disappointed if that happens.

The main reason I'd be disappointed is because we probably will win even with Can on the bench but that then will give people, what they believe, is the basis for suggesting we should stick with a winning formula etc and also Brendan confidence in a team that has proven against Stoke it has creative limitations.

Now of course they could come out and give a better showing than they did for the first 65m against Stoke, in fact I thoroughly expect it, that wont change my opinion that with Can in the team freeing up Milner and or Henderson we become a much more cohesive unit and that should, in my opinion, have been reflected in Can starting against Bournemouth.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #72: Aug 14, 2015 04:44:01 pm

No Markovic again.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #73: Aug 14, 2015 05:12:40 pm

Very strange.

I wonder is he about to become one of Brendan's frozen ones?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #74: Aug 14, 2015 05:17:59 pm
      Very strange.

I wonder is he about to become one of Brendan's frozen ones?

It makes you wonder for sure. I hope not because although I don't particularly rate the lad, he hasn't been given a fair crack at it in his natural position.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #75: Aug 14, 2015 05:21:35 pm
      It makes you wonder for sure. I hope not because although I don't particularly rate the lad, he hasn't been given a fair crack at it in his natural position.

With Can, Hendo, Milner & Benteke in the team, it's probably worth looking into having Markovic and Ibe as our wide players. I just feel there would be more balance than playing the likes of Firmino or Coutinho.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #76: Aug 14, 2015 05:26:21 pm
      With Can, Hendo, Milner & Benteke in the team, it's probably worth looking into having Markovic and Ibe as our wide players. I just feel there would be more balance than playing the likes of Firmino or Coutinho.
      Maybe,but you cant drop both of them.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #77: Aug 14, 2015 05:32:52 pm
      Maybe,but you cant drop both of them.

But if we play both, surely we'll have to play to their strengths? So what of Benteke? A player that Rodgers says can adapt, but we all know he's best playing direct/long, so will we have a weaker striker trying to adapt to Coutinho & Firmino's play style?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #78: Aug 14, 2015 05:41:04 pm
      But if we play both, surely we'll have to play to their strengths? So what of Benteke? A player that Rodgers says can adapt, but we all know he's best playing direct/long, so will we have a weaker striker trying to adapt to Coutinho & Firmino's play style?

Coutinho is probably our best player, Benteke and Firmino both cost big money so before long, all 3 will be starting.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #79: Aug 14, 2015 05:52:32 pm
      Coutinho is probably our best player, Benteke and Firmino both cost big money so before long, all 3 will be starting.

You are absolutely right. But will we carry on playing direct/long balls into Benteke with Firmino and Coutinho in the team? Guess we'll have to wait and see!
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #80: Aug 14, 2015 06:12:54 pm

I'm really excited  to see what these 3 can do. I think hope we will play a midfield 3 of Can,  Henderson, and Milner behind  them as it will allow our creative Brazilians to focus on attacking more than defending.

You are absolutely right. But will we carry on playing direct/long balls into Benteke with Firmino and Coutinho in the team? Guess we'll have to wait and see!

I think we will at times. If teams are pressing  us high, we will probably utilize the long ball at times to help break the press. Likewise, if they are sitting  deep and narrow with 10 men behind  the ball, we'll probably see some high balls lobbed into the box for the big man. I've got no problem with that. But I do think we'll try to play quick, short, pass and move footie most of the time though.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      Reply #81: Aug 14, 2015 06:14:46 pm
      It does not have to be like that at all.
      But i would prefer to see as less games is possible that are one by solo efforts from some of our players.I woould like to see more team goals...
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #82: Aug 14, 2015 06:17:11 pm
      I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the same team start. Chopping and changing at the start of the season isn't best for trying to get a rhythm, so I would see it more as a pragmatic line up as opposed to the best perhaps?

That said, I do hope to see Can get a starting place sooner or later.

Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      Reply #83: Aug 14, 2015 06:18:18 pm
      I'm really excited  to see what these 3 can do. I think hope we will play a midfield 3 of Can,  Henderson, and Milner behind  them as it will allow our creative Brazilians to focus on attacking more than defending.

I think we will at times. If teams are pressing  us high, we will probably utilize the long ball at times to help break the press. Likewise, if they are sitting  deep and narrow with 10 men behind  the ball, we'll probably see some high balls lobbed into the box for the big man. I've got no problem with that. But I do think we'll try to play quick, short, pass and move footie most of the time though.
      Is there anything wrong with quick,short passes?
      I would love to see our player moving towards the opposition goal with some pace and quick,short passes that will eventually finish in our strikers feet and then at the back of the net.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #84: Aug 14, 2015 06:31:34 pm

I agree, without a ball player and the opposition pressing, I too can see us playing direct/long balls to the wide areas or Benteke, and I am quite happy to see variations in attack when we have them pinned back, but I just can't see us playing quick short pass and move football with Hendo, Milner and Can in midfield.

MsGerrard
      Reply #85: Aug 14, 2015 09:14:46 pm
      Another 37 scrappy 1-0 wins will do nicely.

Have a boss time Cas!

Cheers Ben xx Don't worry, I will and I'll be singing my little head off too !!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #86: Aug 14, 2015 09:54:47 pm
      I'd imagine Brendan will go for the same side and while it's not how I'd start the game I can understand the thinking behind it.

Settled back four and also another start for the players who have had the most pre season and then bring on Can and Firmino but probably earlier than they did against Stoke whcih should see them ready for the Arsenal game the following week.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #87: Aug 14, 2015 09:59:35 pm
      Settled back four and also another start for the players who have had the most pre season and then bring on Can and Firmino but probably earlier than they did against Stoke whcih should see them ready for the Arsenal game the following week.

Bring then on at the half way mark Si and start them both in the following match; by that time they should be fully fit.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #88: Aug 14, 2015 10:02:23 pm
      Bring then on at the half way mark Si and start them both in the following match; by that time they should be fully fit.

That's what I'm thinking AZ.

I know some on here, and definitely thousands on Twitter, will go apeshit if Brendan selects the same side on Monday but like I said I can see the reasoning behind it if he does.

Personally I'd go with Can and Firmino from the start and take them off but I'm just guessing Brendan will go same again.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #89: Aug 14, 2015 10:06:33 pm
      Personally I'd go with Can and Firmino from the start and take them off but I'm just guessing Brendan will go same again.

Here is hoping that both those players showed him something on the training pitch that will force him to sit Ibe/Lallana; we were a different team when we switched out.

Either way if he starts with the same again and we look the same the hooks will be coming out quickly.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #90: Aug 14, 2015 10:52:24 pm
      Here is hoping that both those players showed him something on the training pitch that will force him to sit Ibe/Lallana; we were a different team when we switched out.

Either way if he starts with the same again and we look the same the hooks will be coming out quickly.

I'd be very surprised if Brendan changes things (unless we're losing at half time) before the 60th minute+
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #91: Aug 14, 2015 11:07:23 pm
      I'd be very surprised if Brendan changes things (unless we're losing at half time) before the 60th minute+

I'd give Ibe another shot from the start, and if Rodgers decided to go 4-2-3-1 again, Firminho instead of Lallana from the start.

If it's 4-3-3, I'd give Benteke, Ibe and Coutinho the go ahead in the attacking trio.

I wouldn't bomb young Ibe out for a disappointing first game.

Quick Reply