Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      10 (6.3%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.6%)
      Joe Gomez
      53 (33.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      30 (19%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      2 (1.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      8 (5.1%)
      Emre Can
      4 (2.5%)
      James Milner
      12 (7.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      30 (19%)
      Christian Benteke
      8 (5.1%)
      Jordan Rossiter
      0 (0%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 152

Voting closed: Aug 28, 2015 09:54:59 pm

Arsenal 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate

Read 49937 times
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Re: Arsenal 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #644: Aug 24, 2015 10:25:37 pm
      Hey, we still haven't conceded. That accounts for something given that hellish nightmare that was the end of last season.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #645: Aug 24, 2015 10:26:44 pm
      Neville saying Arsenal should have had a penalty for the foul by Lucas on Giroud, what about the one where Gabriel is clinging onto Benteke for dear life?
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #646: Aug 24, 2015 10:27:36 pm
      The Rossiter sub makes sense as we needed a bit more energy in midfield. The concern wasn't so much about trying to score but attempting to keep a clean sheet. I do not understand all this Rossiter hate - he did well, he broke up play a few times, we didn't concede, job done.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #647: Aug 24, 2015 10:28:16 pm
      Well let me start by saying I am ecstatic with the draw against Arsenal, especially give how the bossed the game second half have said that….

I understand the Ibe substitution, Firmino was fading toward the half and show little,
      But the Lucas for Rossiter? I felt he should have either bought on Origi for Lucas and played 4-4-2 or instead of Coutinho taken off Benteke of Origi or Ings for the last 10 mins. We needed something different up front other than Benteke to score

Wrong wrong wrong again!

We were soaking up huge pressure before Lucas came off we had to stay compact in defence and switch like for like or Arsenal likely likely have found a way through.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #648: Aug 24, 2015 10:28:31 pm
      Neville saying Arsenal should have had a penalty for the foul by Lucas on Giroud, what about the one where Gabriel is clinging onto Benteke for dear life?

Bitter Manc coming to the fore I think.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #649: Aug 24, 2015 10:29:12 pm
      where is all this Rossiter hate ?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #650: Aug 24, 2015 10:29:57 pm
      Bitter Manc coming to the fore I think.

Neville made a point when he said Benteke had dropped to the floor but what's Benteke supposed to do when he obviously can't get through the bear hug he's being given.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #651: Aug 24, 2015 10:30:01 pm
      Wrong wrong wrong again!

We were soaking up huge pressure before Lucas came off we had to stay compact in defence and switch like for like or Arsenal likely likely have found a way through.

Agree, makes no sense putting on a striker when we are under intense pressure.

If he had done that, we would have an man less in midfield and we would have probably lost. Then the fans would be calling for Brendan's head by not making a midfield sub. No pleasing some with Brendan is there.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,739 posts | 3948 
      Reply #652: Aug 24, 2015 10:30:14 pm
      This game proves Lucas should not be sold. He has a huge part to play this season.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #653: Aug 24, 2015 10:30:21 pm
      where is all this Rossiter hate ?

Probably me Walt, I thought he was very poor, certainly not hate though.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: Live: Arsenal V Liverpool
      Reply #654: Aug 24, 2015 10:30:23 pm
      Ings for Firmino for me. They are pushing Monreal further up the pitch and Firmino isn't really tracking him as such

Part of my post was about Firmino :roll:
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #655: Aug 24, 2015 10:32:35 pm

If he had done that, we would have an man less in midfield and we would have probably lost. Then the fans would be calling for Brendan's head by not making a midfield sub. No pleasing some with Brendan is there.

I know mate. It was exactly the right call by Brendan. I think Rossiter will be a fine player.

I really question the football knowledge of some posters on here it's like they have learned the game from playing FIFA.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #656: Aug 24, 2015 10:33:24 pm
      Very impressed with the defensive display tonight, last season we would have lost that game.
      Coutinho continues to show what he's capable of, he's starting to for a good partnership with Benteke. Firmino looks a couple of games away from being a class act imo.
      Skrtel was a wall tonight, nothing was getting past him, Lovren did a great job too overall.
      Clyne and Gomis were excellent, although I would have taken Gomez off 10 minutes earlier for Moreno, to take someif the pressure of us with his forward runs.
      Milner and Lucas were workhorses as usual, I would definitely hold on to Lucas as a squad player at least.

Very tough call for MOTM, Maybe Coutinho just edges it.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,991 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #657: Aug 24, 2015 10:34:00 pm
      Its not even his natural positon I believe he is a CB. We have a really solid defence now still need a tweak going forward maybe Daniel could be that man.But tonight great effort by the lads and a worthy point

Walton, I think we have potentially a world class defender, like you said he's out of position yet the performances he's shown thus far has been superb, I can't believe ppl criticising him, he's f***in 18, has only played top flight football for 18 months, 3 matches in the best league globally, yet he is so calm and assured, intelligent and confident in what he does,
      Like I said, best Lwb I've seen this season, by a country f***in mile.

YNWA
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #658: Aug 24, 2015 10:34:43 pm
      I know mate. It was exactly the right call by Brendan. I think Rossiter will be a fine player.

I really question the football knowledge of some posters on here it's like they have learned the game from playing FIFA.

Indeed. Lucas was excellent tonight but he had hit a brick wall and had to be taken off and Rossiter was the only option on the bench. Got it right - some people clearly think FIFA is realistic. F**k that game and the 'proper tekkers' knob wa**s who play it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #659: Aug 24, 2015 10:35:01 pm
      The Rossiter sub makes sense as we needed a bit more energy in midfield. The concern wasn't so much about trying to score but attempting to keep a clean sheet. I do not understand all this Rossiter hate - he did well, he broke up play a few times, we didn't concede, job done.

I have not seen any Rossiter hate but it was night and day the difference between Lucas and Rossiter, I don't think he is ready yet to be starting regularly.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #660: Aug 24, 2015 10:36:16 pm
      Never been his biggest fan but Skrtel was immense closely followed by Gomez what a talent.

Same here in that order, followed by Lovren, Clyne and Mignolet. Our back 5 were immense tonight, every single of them. What a difference having two decent full backs makes. And FairPlay to Lovren, had his best game for us at Stoke on opening day and bettered that performance tonight. 3 games three clean sheets is something to build on.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #661: Aug 24, 2015 10:36:38 pm

I have not seen any Rossiter hate but it was night and day the difference between Lucas and Rossiter, I don't think he is ready yet to be starting regularly.

I'm not sure anyone has said he is ready though mate.

Lucas needed subbed and Jordan was the natural replacement and I like the way Brendan didn't just go like for like and moved Milner back when he did make the move.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #662: Aug 24, 2015 10:36:53 pm

Or you could look at it another way and say we would have been under less pressure as we'd have been able to keep hold of the ball further up the field with somebody to support Benteke. There were numerous times when we lost the ball because we were clearing it out to Benteke expecting him to work some magic every time.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #663: Aug 24, 2015 10:37:42 pm

But Lucas was spent as a few of us have said. No option for Brendan really - unless we go for the suicidal tactic of an extra striker when that wasn't a priority.

Look, I love attacking football like anyone else, and it is the first priority with me, but some games we have to hold our hands up and be realistic for a change by making a defensive sub.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #664: Aug 24, 2015 10:38:53 pm

Think this was Brendan's idea for the first four matches...grind out results and have something to build off of after the break.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #665: Aug 24, 2015 10:39:39 pm
      But Lucas was spent as a few of us have said. No option for Brendan really - unless we go for the suicidal tactic of an extra striker when that wasn't a priority.

Look, I love attacking football like anyone else, and it is the first priority with me, but some games we have to hold our hands up and be realistic for a change by making a defensive sub.

I know exactly why Brendan made that change and my point was more to highlight that if Lucas is off we need to act in the transfer market.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #666: Aug 24, 2015 10:40:36 pm

Or you could look at it another way and say we would have been under less pressure as we'd have been able to keep hold of the ball further up the field with somebody to support Benteke. There were numerous times when we lost the ball because we were clearing it out to Benteke expecting him to work some magic every time.

I highly doubt it, considering Wenger made the change to push the full backs pretty much into midfield - we would have been run amok and annihilated without the extra man there. It's a defensive ploy and it worked. Rarely does a defensive ploy ever work by putting on an extra striker.

It's just asking for trouble and is incredibly naive. Thankfully Rodgers proved that he wasn't that tonight.

Quick Reply