Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Taiwo Awoniyi Player Thread (LFC -> Union Berlin)

Read 23592 times
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen
      • Started Topic

• 656 posts | 24 
      Taiwo Awoniyi Player Thread (LFC -> Union Berlin)
      Aug 31, 2015 05:55:53 pm

Liverpool Football Club have confirmed the signing of Taiwo Awoniyi.

The 18-year-old joins the Reds having previously represented Imperial Academy in Nigeria.

Awoniyi has immediately joined 2 Bundesliga side FSV Frankfurt on loan.             

He told Liverpoolfc.com: “This is the biggest club in the world and I’m privileged to be here.

“I’ll try to develop myself very well so that when I come back to Liverpool I’ll be able to add value to the team.

“When I’m in the red shirt, I will always give my very best to make the fans happy.”

The striker is a regular for Nigeria’s youth teams and currently represents their U23 side, who are aiming to qualify for next year’s Olympic Games.

He has also played for the Super Eagles at the U17 and U20 World Cups and earned a call-up for the senior Nigeria squad in 2013.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/192974-reds-complete-signing-of-taiwo-awoniyi

Didn't see a thread for the kid, excuse me if I missed it! I Don't know anything specifically about him but have been impressed by the Nigerian youth teams over the past few tournaments, and he apparently has played a big role.

Going out on loan to FSV Frankfurt in 2 Bundesliga, hope he gets some PT!

Best of luck to him, maybe we'll see him in the next couple of years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byWdLcz2XyE
      « Last Edit: Aug 16, 2021 04:56:37 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      LFCexiled
      Re: Taiwo Awoniyi
      Reply #1: Aug 31, 2015 06:02:52 pm
      Isn't he eligible for a work permit after playing in Germany for a season?

Hopefully he lives up to his show reel.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2: Aug 31, 2015 06:15:43 pm
      Welcome home Taiwo, work hard :) YNWA
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #3: Aug 31, 2015 06:59:04 pm
      Good aspect of this deal is he's getting first team minutes. You can't go wrong with a move to Germany, either. Quality football -- and coaching -- at every level.
      El..lam..Nino
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #4: Sep 10, 2015 10:30:15 pm
      Good luck Taiwo, train hard, listen and learn.... It would be amazing to one day see a Naija boy in a Liverpool Shirt... got my fingers crossed for your omo boy :)
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #5: Sep 11, 2015 03:58:09 pm
      Saying all the right things, Good luck Taiwo Awoniyi, Lets hope we have nabbed ourselves our very own Drogba.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #6: Sep 11, 2015 04:41:34 pm
      Good luck Taiwo, train hard, listen and learn.... It would be amazing to one day see a Naija boy in a Liverpool Shirt... got my fingers crossed for your omo boy :)

We did see a Naija boy in a Liverpool Shirt. Victor Moses. Unfortunately, he was massively disrespected.. and I hope this Naija boy doesn't face the same treatment.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #7: Sep 11, 2015 04:48:51 pm
      We did see a Naija boy in a Liverpool Shirt. Victor Moses. Unfortunately, he was massively disrespected.. and I hope this Naija boy doesn't face the same treatment.

Disrespected oh do F**k off!!!

It's because he was F***ing crap.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8: Sep 11, 2015 04:57:38 pm
      Disrespected oh do f**k off!!!

It's because he was f**king crap.

Don't always agree with HR but he's spot on here. Not only crap, but completely poor attitude as well.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #9: Sep 11, 2015 05:10:21 pm
      Don't always agree with HR but he's spot on here. Not only crap, but completely poor attitude as well.

Going to agree with the 2 posters above on this one.

In fact, I'd say the fella "disrespected" both the club and the supporters.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #10: Sep 11, 2015 05:16:53 pm
      I was very disappointed with Moses. He has some talent about him but he just never really applied himself much here. Good thing it was a loan and not a transfer.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #11: Sep 11, 2015 06:54:17 pm

?

He wasn't disrespected

He was sh*te like though...
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #12: Sep 11, 2015 07:09:45 pm
      ?

He wasn't disrespected

He was sh*te like though...

Well I suppose you get what you pay for! Or don't pay for in this case!
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #13: Jul 27, 2016 06:11:59 pm
      Liverpool Youngster Taiwo Awoniyi Set to Join NEC Nijmegen on Loan

Liverpool are set to send out a third youngster this week out on loan with Taiwo Awoniyi set to join NEC Nijmegen in the Netherlands on a loan deal, according to the ​Liverpool Echo.

The Nigerian youngster joined the Merseyside team last summer, and was immediately sent out on loan to FSV Frankfurt in the German second division. During his time there he made 14 appearances, mostly from the substitutes bench, scoring one goal, and Liverpool are keen to let him develop more in another loan move.

This would mark the third youngster to leave Anfield on loan with young Brazilian Allan Rodrigues de Souza joining Hertha Berlin on a season-long loan deal, while Ryan Kent has joined Barnsley on another loan deal

The Reds are keen to send the 18-year-old to a club in Europe to help him secure a UK work permit, and despite interest from Hajduk Split in Croatia and Tondela in Portugal, as well as a number of clubs in Germany, it is understood that Nijmegen is his likely destination.

The Eredivisie side are managed by Peter Hyballa, a German who was the U19s coach at Borussia Dortmund for three years while Reds boss Jürgen Klopp was in charge of the first team, helping in the development of Mario Gotze. He has also managed Bayer Leverkusen’s highly-rated youth side.

Hyballa said, "I've worked with Jürgen Klopp. I was under 19's coach at Borussia Dortmund. We worked together very well. He's bigger than me. He has a little more experience and prizes."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-youngster-taiwo-awoniyi-set-11669027

Another youngster to go out on loan to a team managed by someone who previously worked for Klopp or that he's known for quite some time. Good to see there's a clear strategy in place for the youngsters sent out on loan too. Can only help them in their development and they'll know Klopp will keep a close eye on them. That's a big difference with the last few seasons too I think.

He will be replacing Anthony Limbombe at Nijmegen, he was transferred to FC Bruges a few days ago, so he'll be sure to get plenty of time on the pitch.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Taiwo Awoniyi Player Thread
      Reply #14: Sep 02, 2016 09:01:56 am
      Scored a hat trick and got 2 assists on his debut in a 5-0 thrashing of FC Kleve.

Was only a friendly but that's a great start for him.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #15: Sep 02, 2016 11:22:17 am
      Scored a hat trick and got 2 assists on his debut in a 5-0 thrashing of FC Kleve.

Was only a friendly but that's a great start for him.

Happy days, getting the opportunity to play and develop, keep it up Taiwo and hopefully we'll get to see him in a red shirt in the future.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #16: Jul 31, 2017 08:07:32 pm
      He has been loaned out again. Not eligible for a work permit yet. He played 22 games for NEC Nijmegen, scoring 3 goals in a total of about 1.000 minutes of playing time. (It's an official Belgian source, can't seem to find an English one.)

Royal Excel. Moscron are in the Jupiler Pro League (first division of Belgium), same level as Sint-Truiden, the team Allan played for two seasons ago. I have never actually seen him play. If they are playing a decent team, I might have a look at the lad when he's playing.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #17: Aug 20, 2017 09:10:23 pm
      Small update on the lad! He has certainly started well here in Belgium. He scored the 0-1 in a 0-2 win over Lokeren last week (his first game for them). I managed to watch today's game against AA Gent (a team some of you may know, they beat Spurs at home and managed a 2-2 draw at Wembley last season in the Europa League.) Gent is off to a horrible start this season. They went up 0-2 in the first half, but were given a red card.

Taiwo played pretty well. Worked hard, always busy making himself available. Wasn't much of a goal threat today though, he had one really good shot. He was important for Moscron's first goal by chasing down the goalkeeper and he gave the assist for the 2-2. Should've had two assists to be honest, a bad miss by one of his teammates prevented that. He's also a lot stronger than I thought he would be, sometimes holding of 2 or 3 defenders at a time. One of the analysts after the game went as far as saying that if he keeps up this level of playing, he probably won't be playing in Belgium anymore after Christmas. Probably a bit over the top, that comment, but shows that he has played well in his first two games here.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #18: Sep 08, 2017 08:09:49 pm
      Forgot to update this one with his game from before the international break.

They played away at K.V. Kortrijk, midtable team that started the season reasonably well. Bagged an assist again and really should've had a second assist that game. So far 1 goal and 2 assists in his first 3 starts, not bad at all. Was a bit more of a goal threat this game compared to the game at Gent. He's a lot better than I thought he would be and he has proven to be a real handful for the opposition defences so far. The game ended 1-1. He works hard, is involved in a lot of good stuff and his team are one of the big surprises so far in the Belgian league. They were nailed on to get relegated and they're in 5th now with 10 points out of 5 games.

They are playing Club Brugge, who are top of the league, at home this weekend, I'll be watching that game too. 
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #19: Sep 22, 2017 10:36:03 pm
      Been a bit busier during the weekends than I expected, so sadly enough haven't been able to watch his games and can't find any recordings.

What I can do is update his numbers though!

He started the Club Brugge game two weeks ago. They actually won that game and were the first team so far to beat Club Brugge 2-1. No goal and assist and taken off around the hour mark for what looks to be a defender to defend the one goal lead.

Last week he started again against Zulte-Waregem (decent team, they're in the EL and had just played Nice)  and played the full 90. He opened the score 0-1 but they ended up losing the game 2-1.

Midweek they had a cup game against Tubize. They won the game 3-1 and he scored the opener again, playing an other full game.

So they're currently ranked 6th out of 16 teams. They continue to play well and he has been a big part of that. Have to admit I didn't think he'd make such a big impact after seeing his numbers at NEC Nijmegen.

So total:

6 starts
      5 full games
      3 goals
      2 assists
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #20: Sep 30, 2017 09:05:36 pm
      Missed his game from last week, a 3-2 win against Eupen. No goal or assist and substituted in minute 88.

Finally managed to see his team play again for a bit and got to see the 2nd half of Mouscron - Mechelen. Sadly enough his team was 2-0 up already, he scored the second and his team allowed Mechelen to have the ball, so not much to say. He had one more good opportunity where he lost control of the ball a bit while trying to get a one vs one with the goalkeeper, could have been a goal. He was taken off at the 74th minute right after his team conceded the 2-1. Game ended 2-2.

His team are still 3rd in the league after conceding 15 goals in 9 games, unbelievable. For comparison: the teams around them have conceded 6, 8 and 8.

Working point: his running lines (not sure if they're called that in English), movement off the ball. He tends to wrongly time his runs from time to time and close the space for his teammate. Obviously something that can easily be worked on, but something I noticed a few times.

Updated stats:

8 starts
      5 full games
      4 goals
      2 assists

Not bad at all, already doing better than his time at Nijmegen.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #21: Mar 30, 2018 02:18:30 pm
      Having a good season in Belgium. Club anticipate it may take another year for him to get a work permit, and so will try to loan him next season to a club from France, Italy, Spain or Germany that is playing in the Europa League.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #22: Jul 17, 2018 06:28:55 pm

Quick Reply