Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

We'll never again waste resources on inflated transfer fees

Read 8325 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: We'll never again waste resources on inflated transfer fees
      Reply #23: Sep 01, 2015 11:00:56 pm
      Yeah why bring up positive sh*t, it ruins the atmosphere of the thread.

That's like Ignoring your missus suffers from stinking vaginal discharge because she's got a cracking set of tits.

The first way to fixing problems is identifying them and admitting that you have them, then you can work towards a solution.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #24: Sep 01, 2015 11:09:21 pm
      That's like Ignoring your missus suffers from stinking vaginal discharge because she's got a cracking set of tits.

The first way to fixing problems is identifying them and admitting that you have them, then you can work towards a solution.

What a cracking metaphor.  :lmao:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,014 posts | 3954 
      Reply #25: Sep 01, 2015 11:09:46 pm
      I can see the reason why we are taking these punts on potential talent, hopefully  some will come good. After all the other big boys are doing it so we need to keep up.

Big difference between us and our Top 4 rivals is that they will also part with big cash for top proven talent. Not the Lallana's and Lovrens of this world.

Irrespective of opinion regarding the Lallanas and Lovrens of this world the fact is they were to replace Suarez and Sterling as well as provide credible cover for Sturridge, that in itself is F***ing farcical.

Warning bells were deafening when the Suarez dosh was not used to replace his skill or something resembling it.
      Benteke - Sterling mk 11, very few people think so. He is not the finished article and to even contemplate he could produce the magic of Suarez, Sturridge or Sterling is wishful thinking at the moment.

One thing is common to all the above - economies taking precedent and stifling success.   
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,621 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #26: Sep 01, 2015 11:12:11 pm
      £6,800,000 - Luis Alberto on loan at (Deportivo La Coruña)
      £16,000,000 - Mario Balotelli on loan at (AC Milan)
      £19,800,000 - Lazar Markovic on loan at (Fenerbahçe)
      £7,000,000 - Tiago Ilori on loan at (Aston Villa)

£49.6m

That's not taking into account the Lovrens and Moreno's and Lallana's who can't exactly be classed as value for the money.

There is something fundamentally wrong at our club regarding player recruitment.

If you fail to compete in the market for top talent then you gamble what you do have on "potential".
      Would seem failure of said players to reach their "potential" is even more costly.
      Marquee names gone.

Serious question.

We've had Gerrard, Torres, Alonso, Suarez that made stomaching the increase in costs a bit easier.
      In fact Suarez was worth the ticket price alone.

FSG seemed to have missed that point in all the moneyball nonsense.

Who's worth the price of admission now?

Coutinho, and sorry kid but he's no Suarez.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #27: Sep 01, 2015 11:16:32 pm

He has a certain way with words does Daz :lmao:
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,976 posts | 3059 
      Reply #28: Sep 01, 2015 11:20:47 pm
      If you fail to compete in the market for top talent then you gamble what you do have on "potential".
      Would seem failure of said players to reach their "potential" is even more costly.
      Marquee names gone.

Serious question.

We've had Gerrard, Torres, Alonso, Suarez that made stomaching the increase in costs a bit easier.
      In fact Suarez was worth the ticket price alone.

FSG seemed to have missed that point in all the moneyball nonsense.

Who's worth the price of admission now?

Coutinho, and sorry kid but he's no Suarez.

As much as I love little Phil.......no he is not. Nowhere near.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #29: Sep 01, 2015 11:22:09 pm

He has a certain way with words does Daz :lmao:

Its true though, you can think of the positives about those titties all day along, but when it comes down to doing the nitty gritty at bed time, your not going down on that pussy, that shits Nasty....
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2015 11:39:03 pm by RedLFCBlood »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,351 posts | 6394 
      Reply #30: Sep 02, 2015 01:22:41 am
      I do believe we have a thread for that nonsense ;D

Yea and it's clouded with negative nancy's. ;D
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #31: Sep 02, 2015 01:26:04 am
      This is nothing new...

Konchesky
      Voronin
      Poulson
      Aquilani
      Jovanovic
      Diouf
      Riera
      Gonzalez
      Keane
      Cole
      Aspas
      Assaidi
      Morientes

...to name a few.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,260 posts | 8582 
      Reply #32: Sep 02, 2015 01:36:25 am
      Irrespective of opinion regarding the Lallanas and Lovrens of this world the fact is they were to replace Suarez and Sterling as well as provide credible cover for Sturridge, that in itself is F***ing farcical.

Warning bells were deafening when the Suarez dosh was not used to replace his skill or something resembling it.
      Benteke - Sterling mk 11, very few people think so. He is not the finished article and to even contemplate he could produce the magic of Suarez, Sturridge or Sterling is wishful thinking at the moment.

One thing is common to all the above - economies taking precedent and stifling success.   

Stuey one thing I will say in defence of Benteke, he's still better and an upgrade on Balotelli!!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #33: Sep 02, 2015 07:45:48 am
      Yea and it's clouded with negative nancy's. ;D

Haven't been in that particular thread , so couldnt say  :f_whistle:
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #34: Sep 02, 2015 07:58:21 am
      We need to sack every last scout we have
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #35: Sep 02, 2015 08:45:35 am
      I wonder is it the case that big clubs have a higher failure rate when it comes to successes, or is it just that we notice it more because of the money involved.
      It's easy to highlight Southampton and Dortmund as the team's that got great value for money in their transfers, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't the norm to have more failures than successes.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #36: Sep 02, 2015 09:35:35 am
      I wonder is it the case that big clubs have a higher failure rate when it comes to successes, or is it just that we notice it more because of the money involved.
      It's easy to highlight Southampton and Dortmund as the team's that got great value for money in their transfers, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't the norm to have more failures than successes.

All clubs have transfer failures there's no doubt about it, it's the nature of it but I honestly think that we are somewhat in a bit of a different situation to a lot of clubs in terms of us falling between 2 stools.

I'll try to get out what I mean as its a bit of a scramble in my head exactly what I'm trying to get at.

The top level of clubs right now, either in our league (City, Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal) or the very top sides around the world in other leagues (Barca, Madrid, Bayern) or the attractive clubs around (Dortmund, Juve, Atleti) are in a different boat to us as we stand in recent times.
      The likes of those either have settled squads of the better talent due to long term success and are only adding one or two of that top level player or an up and coming talent who they can nurture.. They also have the pull for the players knowing they get regular CL football.. They also have better climates etc that attract players and their families. They can pay big money in wages which we simply can't and even the ones not on massive money, that you would call maybe that step down from the elite will be attracted there over us for any of the aforementioned reasons

We are right now not a regular CL club challenging for the title, we also can't pay the wages to tempt players from those others clubs which is a massive factor, we can offer very good wages but even if it's comparable to those other clubs it's not enough to outweigh the CL football pull or the climates or the teams that maybe we are a bigger name still than but they regularly finish top 2-4 in their leagues where we don't currently and to really turn their heads we can't afford the massive pay packets of say what City were offering prior to them becoming a regular at the summit of the game to attract those players to bully your way into that.

As a knock on we are shopping at the level below the world class level and below the level of those just below that, we are shopping in a market that we are hoping to find a bargain or an unearthed gem (Suarez-Coutinho) we are shopping in a market paying over the top prices in the most part for teams below us better players and paying them big wages to come but in reality probably 75% of our incomins wouldn't be considered by those above us, the reality is without a fantastic strategy and plan which in my opinion we lack then you are hoping more than expecting to be able to get into that next level.
      The amount of transfers we do in recent years will never ever be giving us a level of consistency to even give us a chance either.
      You need a manager and people doing the player recruitment with a great plan, a great eye for talent and a great pull for the players.

In essence for me we are buying in the level of players that gives us a greater chance  of gamble than say the real top clubs.. We are doing it blindly without an end goal, look at City when they went from mid table to CL to champions, they had a plan of how to do it and I honestly believe we haven't got one. The turnover in gambles that wouldn't be of interest to the clubs we want to compete with is too much, I'm frustrated this summer with the likes of Markovic, yes he had a poor season, but to throw it away and start again brining in another 5-6 new faces into a side at the beginning of the season shows no real leadership in any aspect of the club, no overriding plan of how we get there.. Just those ones didn't work, let's try a new load.
      Look again at City in that period of growth they were buying players who would have interested those above them, we aren't and that indicative of the amount of flops we are having for me.

Yes a transfers are gambles, all clubs make mistakes but ours in the last say 6 years are too many
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #37: Sep 02, 2015 09:53:34 am
      We often buy flavour of the month type players or big fishes from a small pond.

When we signed Carroll, he was the in form forward of the league. We spent 35m on him even though he had only a couple of months PL experience under his belt.

Downing was voted Villas player of the season and I think he had something like the most assists in the league in the previous season. So what do we do? Spend 20m on him.

Mignolet was the in form keeper of the league so we signed him too. I remember the MOTM pundits analysing his game before we signed him saying how great he was but based on what? Half a dozen or so games? In a Sunderland top? We spent 10m on the lad and sometimes I honestly think my 5 year old lad would do a better job in goal. Mignolet is certainly no upgrade on Reina that's for sure.

Lallana & Lovren were both stand out players for Southampton. We spent 45m on them without knowing how they would handle the pressure of playing for a club like ours. Both have flopped. They aren't a big fish in a small pond any more. They are goldfish in an ocean.

I'm not judging him after four games so don't bite my head off but I also predict Benteke will fall into the flop category because of the fee we paid for him too. I just can't see him scoring enough goals in a Brendan Rodgers set up to justify his transfer fee.

So those are just a few examples but the list is a lengthy one. The above players obviously have more pressure on their shoulders than the likes of Jordan Henderson because we spent much more money on them.  We reportedly spent 16m (+add ons = £20m) on Jordan so there is less pressure on him. Had we spent 25m on him like we did with Lallana then I think we would be sitting here saying he was a flop too, despite being our captain. Was Jordan a good buy? I think most will say yes. Me? I'm on the fence. In todays market I'd say he is a 20m player. We might scrape a couple more mil for him because we can say he is our captain & plays for England now but there is no way he would get a game for any of the 5 sides that finished above us last season.

It's a balancing act. If we didn't spend big then we would all be outraged and calling FSG all sorts but that doesn't mean we should waste our transfer kitty every year either. Coutinho, Sturridge, Can, Gomez are fine examples that you can buy very good players for next to nothing. If they don't work out then the risk is little because the fee was small. Obviously you need to mix it up and buy proven quality too but I'm sick of the type of player that our board sees as proven. Adam Lallana or Stewart Downing aren't proven players in my eyes. Players like Pedro who were available this summer are. They've seen it all and they've done it all.

There is no guarantee Pedro would have been a success here but I'd rather gamble on somebody like him than I would F***ing Andy Carroll.

Its simple. Stop F***ing buying flavour of the month players or players who stand out at clubs like Sunderland or Swansea. We can get much better quality for the same price at top clubs around Europe.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,953 posts | 5011 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #38: Sep 02, 2015 10:17:01 am

:lmao:
      Just splattered my brekkie all over the table with snot hanging out of my hooter,    :lmao:

Thanks Daz

YNWA

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #39: Sep 02, 2015 10:25:54 am
      We need to sack every last scout we have

We have Scouts? I thought we used Championship Manager to make our signings  :o

On a more serious note this is what happens when you make transfers by committee. Getting rid of Illori isn't necessarily a bad thing if the manager doesn't fancy him. the problem is in buying a player the manager doesn't fancy in the first place.

We often buy flavour of the month type players or big fishes from a small pond.

Because big players demand big wages. Your Higuains and Reus' of this world will want far higher wages than your Bentekes and Lallanas and despite reducing the wage bill for the third season running, FSG are simply unwilling to spend the cash on wages. The wage gap between ourselves and Chelsea, United and Arsenal has substantially increased over the last decade and until that changes, nothing is going to change for us as a club.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #40: Sep 02, 2015 10:43:56 am

Your missing the point mate 3 years ago, following the sacking of Kenny, John Henry took it up on himself to write an open letter the fans, a letter in which he tried to justify the sacking of both Kenny and Comolli for the failed transfers of Downing and Carrol stating that 'We'll never again waste resources on inflated transfer fees'

Here we are 3 years later with a £20m winger just like Downing, been sent out on loan just one season after he was purchased, a £16m striker sent out on loan a year after he was purchased, a £7m defender, we were told was going to be the future along with Sakho sent out on loan without getting a sniff of first team action.

Then we have the likes of £20m Lovren and £25m Lallana, signed last season who can be describes as anything but a success, as reddebs said on the previous page of the 24 players bought between 2012 and 2014, 13 are no longer at the club.

That in itself is a major condemnation of how our approach to the transfer market in terms of selecting players and player acquisition is failing miserably and that we are once again wasting our resources, I think there is only really Spurs in recent history who can claim to have had so many misses and not enough hits in their transfer dealings in one summer as we did last summer.

The whole way we go about transfers needs ripping up, with a fresh start going back to basics, what will it be next summer £20m Lovren on loan ?, £25m Lallana ?, maybe £32m Benteke ?, or perhaps £29m Firminho ?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #41: Sep 02, 2015 11:02:43 am
      Summer 2012.

Fabio Borini   Sold.
      Joe Allen   
      Oussama Assaidi  Sold
      Nuri Sahin    Loan Terminated.
      Samed Yesil    Currently Loaned out.

January transfer window.

Daniel Sturridge   
      Philippe Coutinho   

Summer 2013

Luis Alberto    Currently Loaned Out.
      Iago Aspas    Sold
      Simon Mignolet   
      Kolo Toure   
      Aly Cissokho    Loan Terminated
      Tiago Ilori    Currently out on loan.
      Mamadou Sakho   
      Victor Moses    Loan Terminated.

Summer 2014

Rickie Lambert    Sold
      Adam Lallana   
      Emre Can   
      Lazar Markovic  Currently Loaned out.
      Dejan Lovren   
      Divock Origi   
      Javier Manquillo    Loan Terminated
      Alberto Moreno   
      Mario Balotelli    Currently Loaned Out.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #42: Sep 02, 2015 11:14:43 am
      Your missing the point mate 3 years ago, following the sacking of Kenny, John Henry took it up on himself to write an open letter the fans, a letter in which he tried to justify the sacking of both Kenny and Comolli for the failed transfers of Downing and Carrol stating that 'We'll never again waste resources on inflated transfer fees'

Here we are 3 years later with a £20m winger just like Downing, been sent out on loan just one season after he was purchased, a £16m striker sent out on loan a year after he was purchased, a £7m defender, we were told was going to be the future along with Sakho sent out on loan without getting a sniff of first team action.

Then we have the likes of £20m Lovren and £25m Lallana, signed last season who can be describes as anything but a success, as reddebs said on the previous page of the 24 players bought between 2012 and 2014, 13 are no longer at the club.

That in itself is a major condemnation of how our approach to the transfer market in terms of selecting players and player acquisition is failing miserably and that we are once again wasting our resources, I think there is only really Spurs in recent history who can claim to have had so many misses and not enough hits in their transfer dealings in one summer as we did last summer.

The whole way we go about transfers needs ripping up, with a fresh start going back to basics, what will it be next summer £20m Lovren on loan ?, £25m Lallana ?, maybe £32m Benteke ?, or perhaps £29m Firminho ?

FSG for all there Big talk, haven't delivered. They just like Brendan, talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.
      They're like politicians when they speak, tell the people what they want to hear, and blame other people when it doesn't work.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,565 posts | 1799 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #43: Sep 02, 2015 11:15:44 am
      £6,800,000 - Luis Alberto on loan at (Deportivo La Coruña)
      £16,000,000 - Mario Balotelli on loan at (AC Milan)
      £19,800,000 - Lazar Markovic on loan at (Fenerbahçe)
      £7,000,000 - Tiago Ilori on loan at (Aston Villa)

£49.6m

That's not taking into account the Lovrens and Moreno's and Lallana's who can't exactly be classed as value for the money.

There is something fundamentally wrong at our club regarding player recruitment.

Im almost certain if you look at every clubs transfers over past seasons, there will be a similiar patern.

Its not just us, and its happened for ever as well, and will continue to happen, maybe even get worse now the fees are so high.

Just the way of the footi world.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6954 
      Reply #44: Sep 02, 2015 11:48:48 am
      So we recouped around £60M and spent around £75M this transfer window.

Imagine only investing £15M in new players when you have an annual turnover of £300M.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #45: Sep 02, 2015 11:54:29 am
      So we recouped around £60M and spent around £75M this transfer window.

Imagine only investing £15M in new players when you have an annual turnover of £300M.
      Yeah, but look at what Klopp achieved at Dortmund with a small net spend etcetera etcetera!

#inbeforehlollywoodballs

Quick Reply