Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Several things wrong at our club and it starts at the top.

Read 11406 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Several things wrong at our club and it starts at the top.
      Reply #92: Sep 19, 2015 08:32:03 am
      Our wage bill has gone up though, the level it was at, in 2009, was unsustainable under the income we had, at the time.

I don't doubt it has gone up Rodders, but at the same time, we've lost some really high earners, high earners are normally reflective of their talent.

Gerrard £140k a week - Milner £150k a week.
      Suarez £200k a week - Benteke £120k a week.
      Reina £110k a week - Mignolet £35k a week.
      Agger £120k a week - Lovren £65k a week.
      Johnson £120k a week - Clyne £90k a week

That's £230k a week skimmed off the wage bill, now there's no doubt that some of those savings have been distributed through the squad.

Does our first XI look stronger for lowering the average wage under the transfer strategy/wage restrictions of FSG ?

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #93: Sep 19, 2015 08:46:18 am
      I don't doubt it has gone up Rodders, but at the same time, we've lost some really high earners, high earners are normally reflective of their talent.

That's £230k a week skimmed off the wage bill, now there's no doubt that some of those savings have been distributed through the squad.

Does our first XI look stronger for lowering the average wage under the transfer strategy/wage restrictions of FSG ?

Milner is on 150k/week, F***ing hell.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #94: Sep 19, 2015 08:47:06 am

Our overall wage budget has gone up, it's a fact, in line with better income.  If anything, you're just highlighting how unsustainable the wages of players like Agger and Johnson were, at previous income levels.  Millner of right now is every bit as good as Gerrard of the last 18 months, Suarez, who certainly wasn't on £200,000 when he signed, but rather earned his pay rises, as I hope some of the above will, was a complete one off and yet you still see some say we should have replaced like with like, which doesn't exist.  We should have pressed harder for Sanchez, but we did offer a better deal, bot in terms of wages and transfer fee and he chose Arsenal. Reina's keeping is not what it was, his shot stopping is now as poor as Mignolet is flappy at crosses, would have kept him purely on a football basis.  From all I've heard though, this one was very much Rodger's not liking him.  Agger, as much as he's said he had an issue with Rodgers, has also admitted he had a problem playing week in, week out, in the Premier League and his playing record since he left is poor. Johnson was a busted flush, useful in a Rafa team, Clyne already looks much better than Johnson, even in his prime, was.

I don't think our first XI is better now, then it was then, but also, after 4 years, our back line shouldn't be as permeable and it is more than capable of, given the standard if competition, being a top 4/5 squad.  Rodger's has just as much responsibility for that, in my mind more, than the owners, as he has the tools in that squad, he's just seems to have a habit of using the chisel as a hammer and the wrench as a screwdriver.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #95: Sep 19, 2015 08:48:13 am
      Milner is on 150k/week, F***ing hell.

Which was a £15,000 pay cut from what he was earning at City and a huge cut from what he was offered by City, to stay.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #96: Sep 19, 2015 08:53:46 am
      Thibaut Courtois £120k
      Joe Hart £110k
      Cech £100k
      De Gea £200k
      LLoris £70k
      Mignolet £35k

Perspective, our 1st choice keeper is on half of what Man Utd's 3rd choice keeper Valdes is on at £70k a week.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #97: Sep 19, 2015 09:06:11 am
      If memory serves, Mignolet is on £60k a week, looking at those wages, Hart has been having similar brain farts behing a better defence, the last two seasons, The others are all consistently better than our keeper, but we'd have to look outside our league to get better, though I do like the look of Darlow, who is on loan from Newcastle to Forest, but he's not ready yet.

De Gea's bump is presumbly so they can still gouge Real next summer or signed him long term and to United, he is worth £200,000 a week and they can afford it.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #98: Sep 19, 2015 09:08:29 am
      If anything, you're just highlighting how unsustainable the wages of players like Agger and Johnson were, at previous income levels.

Lets remember Rodders they were only unstable once we slipped out of The Champions League and we had massive debt hanging over us.

Millner of right now is every bit as good as Gerrard of the last 18 months

I wouldn't say every bit as good, but I would say more industrious and better legs (not in the sexy variety) ;)

Suarez, who certainly wasn't on £200,000 when he signed, but rather earned his pay rises, as I hope some of the above will, was a complete one off and yet you still see some say we should have replaced like with like, which doesn't exist.

Haven't said like for like, but had we thrown Suarez's £200k a week at Sanchez, I don't think he'd have gave a F**k about his wifes preference, I'm sure she'd have rather been spending the extra £50k a week on Jimmy Choo's in Liverpool than London.

Reina's keeping is not what it was, his shot stopping is now as poor as Mignolet is flappy at crosses, would have kept him purely on a football basis.

Again with Reina, if we were replacing Reina, we should have replaced him with some one who was better than Mignolet and Reina himself, all we did was save a sh*t load of money, we didn't upgrade.

.  Agger, as much as he's said he had an issue with Rodgers, has also admitted he had a problem playing week in, week out, in the Premier League and his playing record since he left is poor. Johnson was a busted flush, useful in a Rafa team, Clyne already looks much better than Johnson, even in his prime, was.

Clyne I'll give you as he is a definite upgrade on Johnson, Agger again we didn't upgrade, we just saved a sh*t load of money for a player who's actually a lot worse than a half fit agger carrying a groin injury.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #99: Sep 19, 2015 09:12:01 am
      De Gea's bump is presumbly so they can still gouge Real next summer or signed him long term and to United, he is worth £200,000 a week and they can afford it.

£25.5m release clause apparently.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #100: Sep 19, 2015 09:20:34 am
      Lets remember Rodders they were only unstable once we slipped out of The Champions League and we had massive debt hanging over us.

We were paying Champion League money to players that weren't capable of qulaifying then?  Something had to change, it's not gone right, but we couldn't carry on the way we were.

I wouldn't say every bit as good, but I would say more industrious and better legs (not in the sexy variety) ;)

I think he gets away with a lot because who he was, but he was awful at times, whilst different in styles, it isn't a downgrade.

Haven't said like for like, but had we thrown Suarez's £200k a week at Sanchez, I don't think he'd have gave a F**k about his wifes preference, I'm sure she'd have rather been spending the extra £50k a week on Jimmy Choo's in Liverpool than London.

He wasn't worth £200,000 a week, and that then leadds us to the situation we were in before.

Again with Reina, if we were replacing Reina, we should have replaced him with some one who was better than Mignolet and Reina himself, all we did was save a sh*t load of money, we didn't upgrade.

I think Mignolet has regressed since he signed for us,he was a better keeper than he has shown here.  But hindsight is 20/20, maybe we should have looked elsewhere.

Clyne I'll give you as he is a definite upgrade on Johnson, Agger again we didn't upgrade, we just saved a sh*t load of money for a player who's actually a lot worse than a half fit agger carrying a groin injury.

He's not a lot worse, not as good, he's just the David James of centre backs.  James was a very good keeper who was prone to overthinking and then F***ing up, Lovren looks like he is playing too much in his head.  Doesn't help Lovren that Skrtel has been a liability as well and they are an awful partnership, which Rodgers, not the board, should have seen and sorted by now.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #101: Sep 19, 2015 09:31:37 am
      He wasn't worth £200,000 a week, and that then leadds us to the situation we were in before.

He'd have been a better Gamble at £200k a week than £110k a week on Balotelli, wouldn't have put us in the situation we were before hand, we could obviously afford Suarez's wage or we wouldn't have gave him it.

Sometimes its about continuity, we could never have replaced Suarez like for like, but Sanchez, even Tevez were the closest to him in terms of style of play, we opted to spread the £200k a week wages on Balo, Lallana, Markovic, Lambert to try and bring more goals in to the team, an experiment that failed miserably, considering only one remains at the club.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #102: Sep 19, 2015 09:32:17 am
      RedLFCBlood...
      Was going to add my two pence worth until I read this Excellent, Insightful and Analytical post which for me covers everything that is currently wrong with the Club and its transfer policy.... This Post was a joy to read...
      Thank you RedLFCBlood
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #103: Sep 19, 2015 09:38:13 am
      He'd have been a better Gamble at £200k a week than £110k a week on Balotelli, wouldn't have put us in the situation we were before hand, we could obviously afford Suarez's wage or we wouldn't have gave him it.

Sometimes its about continuity, we could never have replaced Suarez like for like, but Sanchez, even Tevez were the closest to him in terms of style of play, we opted to spread the £200k a week wages on Balo, Lallana, Markovic, Lambert to try and bring more goals in to the team, an experiment that failed miserably, considering only one remains at the club.

It was nothing to do with gambling, we offered more than Arsenal as it was.  It was a players choice.  As for Tevez, that's worse than a pipe dream, he'd been very clear about his intentions of going home when his contract ran out in Italy and whilst he would have been a fit, it's a moot point in this discussion.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #104: Sep 19, 2015 09:43:38 am
      It was nothing to do with gambling, we offered more than Arsenal as it was.  It was a players choice.  As for Tevez, that's worse than a pipe dream, he'd been very clear about his intentions of going home when his contract ran out in Italy and whilst he would have been a fit, it's a moot point in this discussion.

Tevez was just as an example of continuity, there's other players out there in that Mould, we overlooked one this summer in Lacazette, his footballing career is not much different to Suarez's, started out more as a wide player early in his career, was moved more central and exploded in to a goal scoring machine.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #105: Sep 19, 2015 09:47:41 am
      Tevez was just as an example of continuity, there's other players out there in that Mould, we overlooked one this summer in Lacazette, his footballing career is not much different to Suarez's, started out more as a wide player early in his career, was moved more central and exploded in to a goal scoring machine.

Not sure if overlooked is the right term, we were one of several Premier League teams linked to him, before he signed a new contract.  Personally, when I see players linked to several teams in the cash rich PL and then going on to re-sign for the club they are at, it smells like negotiations for a better contract.  Have no idea what about the modern era of football has made me so cynical.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #106: Sep 19, 2015 10:13:28 am
      The manager was given free reign to buy Borini, Allen, Lovren, Lallana, Lambert and so on.

Within the constrains for the policies laid down by the owners

Man Utd were able to buy Bastian Schweinsteiger (31) a quality player that has improved the mid-field. We (LFC), under FSG policy would not be allowed to make that purchase because of age and wage restrictions imposed by FSG… Who is to say that these players (Borini, Allen, Lovren, Lallana, Lambert and so on.) would have been bought under lets say H&G?.... We (LFC) are not longer trying to buying the best players; we are instead trying to buy the best players that fit the criteria the owners have imposed on the manager and club thus handicapping us.

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #107: Sep 19, 2015 10:21:41 am
      i think it's fair to say FSG started on an OK path but they will never be able to push us to the next echelon because they aren't football people, they aren't even British or European, they're yankee doodles, they do not understand the world game very much.
      I will guess that you are trying to be smart, rather than offensive... Arsenal's biggest owner Stan Kroenke just so happens to be American, he understands "the world game" and how it works, We (LFC) are just unfortunate to have owners who do not
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #108: Sep 19, 2015 10:39:00 am
      QUESTION, for all who doubt the way that FSG policy is affecting us.....

If players Like Zlatan Ibrahimović (33) Thiago Silva (30) Thiago Motta (33) or Cristiano Ronaldo (30) players that would improve the team, players that have high wage demands, and would end their careers at Liverpool, wanted to come to Liverpool FC would BR be allowed to buy them?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #109: Sep 19, 2015 11:00:33 am

If players Like Zlatan Ibrahimović (33) Thiago Silva (30) Thiago Motta (33) or Cristiano Ronaldo (30) players that would improve the team, players that have high wage demands, and would end their careers at Liverpool, wanted to come to Liverpool FC would BR be allowed to buy them?

If the tranfer committee (which includes Rodgers) make a convincing case, I see no reason, excluding unrealistic Transfer fees, why they shouldn't.  Not like Milner's going to have a re-sale value.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #110: Sep 19, 2015 11:06:54 am
      If the tranfer committee (which includes Rodgers) make a convincing case, I see no reason, excluding unrealistic Transfer fees, why they shouldn't.  Not like Milner's going to have a re-sale value.

Milner cost nothing other than a signing on fee and wages that were £10k a week more than the outgoing player, so it was very low risk for them.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #111: Sep 19, 2015 11:11:02 am
      Milner cost nothing other than a signing on fee and wages that were £10k a week more than the outgoing player, so it was very low risk for them.

Which is why I said if the transfer committee could make the case, we would, based on the silly hypothetical question asked. 
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #112: Sep 19, 2015 11:40:06 am
      Which is why I said if the transfer committee could make the case, we would, based on the silly hypothetical question asked.

To be honest, I don't think they'd even try and make the case, by all accounts Lucas was going to be shipped this summer, that left us with Allen, Can, Henderson as Central Midfielders, Milners case in my opinion was made stronger based on that and having some experience in the center to help the younger lads along.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #113: Sep 19, 2015 11:48:29 am

I don't think he would but then I'm one who believes the current manager wouldn't want them anyway.

If we had a manager who was more comfortable working with players of that calibre he might be able to convince FSG if the merit in signing a player of that ilk.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #114: Sep 19, 2015 11:55:26 am
      To be honest, I don't think they'd even try and make the case, by all accounts Lucas was going to be shipped this summer, that left us with Allen, Can, Henderson as Central Midfielders, Milners case in my opinion was made stronger based on that and having some experience in the center to help the younger lads along.

That just makes me think it's more the transfer committees* issue.

*Now featuring as much Brendan Rodgers as before and available at many other clubs, just without the silly name.

Quick Reply