Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Realistically what can we expect from the new manager this season?

Read 12276 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Realistically what can we expect from the new manager this season?
      Reply #92: Oct 11, 2015 01:22:27 pm
      Why not Skip?

Don't we always have high expectations at this club?

Think people are getting a little confused with the question at hand, the operative words being "this season".

If you expect to win the title this season you're expecting far too much in my opinion. Expecting Klopp to take us to number 19 within x amount of years is fine to discuss but even he himself has said it doesn't matter who wins the league this year. He's asked that the weight of expectation be taken off the players and he's said "I'm not Jesus, don't criticise me when I can't walk on water."

The man is desperately asking for some time to do his work, I struggle to understand what the benefit is on heaping expectation on the man who has inherited a team that was so clearly disjointed, struggling defensively and offensively, lacking leadership and confidence at a low ebb. He needs patience, support and understanding this year because right now "this is one of the most difficult jobs in world football".

You've seen the names cropping up all over the place, the standard of player we're now being mentioned with, why the thirst for immediate success when success now appears as close as it has been under FSG's reign? I honestly don't understand the reason to expect us to win the league this season.

Did anyone expect Kenny to win it in his first season, or Brendan to win it in his first season, no I don't believe they did and it's an unfair weight to place on his shoulders. Expect the team to get steadily better this year with an identity emerging and then next year to throw down a marker of intent. I still think next year will be too soon to expect to win the title, in fact it's arrogant when we're starting from a position of such weakness.

Let the man do his work, enjoy the transformation and when we do win the league under him, something I fully expect us to do (he's given his 4 year time-frame), then expect to remain at or very close to the top for a prolonged period of time.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #93: Oct 11, 2015 01:23:42 pm
      Indeed.

It is strange that the clamour to get rid of Brendan, I include myself in this by the way, because he wasn't doing what we except with this squad has now been replaced, by some, of talk of giving time and its going to be difficult.

I don't quite buy that because, as I think you might have said before Mouse, if 'we' think this squad is only capable of 5th then why put so much pressure on Brendan?

I wanted him gone because I believe, rightly or wrongly, that this squad of players can challenge for not only top four but to win silver ware and Brendan wasn't going to deliver.

I'm not going to want Jürgen fired if we miss our but I do expect success very quickly.

The reason some people think he will need time mate is because some of us think that the players that Brendan and the TC brought in don't happen to be that good, and even a magician like Klopp needs time to turn lead into gold.

You think we have a strong squad and good players, others including myself believe we have a very unbalanced squad and a lot of average players with a very light sprinkling of quality players (sounds like making a cake :) )

No one will be more delighted than me if Klopp can turn them into world beaters but personally I think he will need to supplement the little quality we have in the transfer market before we start filling the trophy cabinet.

We have spent £300million on players ....we should have a squad that is capable of challenging and winning things, I just don't see it.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #94: Oct 11, 2015 01:23:42 pm
      Reading through the player threads, it seems many expect Klopp to get everyone playing better than they did under Brendan. I'm excited about Klopp, bit he isn't going to be a miracle worker. Some players will improve, while others will struggle to adapt. However, the main goal is that the team performances improve and I believe that they will in time. It just may take a few weeks for Jürgen to identify a starting 11 and implement his tactics, but I'm confident things will improve soon.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #95: Oct 11, 2015 01:28:11 pm
      My expectation is more fun and laughter when I see the gaffer. At least he has taken away my temporal bitterness about the Liverpool manager.

An extremely healthy expectation in my opinion and I share that expectation with you.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,340 posts | 4963 
      Reply #96: Oct 11, 2015 01:28:19 pm
      Think people are getting a little confused with the question at hand, the operative words being "this season".

I'm not confused at all Luke.

I 'expect' us to be in the top four come the end of the season.

I 'expect' us to challenge for the title.

I 'expect' us to go deeper in Europe than we've ever done under Brendan.

Now I'm not going to throw my toys out of the pram if that doesn't happen because as you say it's his first season but Klopp is such an upgrade on Brendan that I think he should be able to handle me thinking we should at the very least be aiming to finish in a CL spot and have a go at the league.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #97: Oct 11, 2015 01:32:41 pm
      I'm not confused at all Luke.

I 'expect' us to be in the top four come the end of the season.

I 'expect' us to challenge for the title.

I 'expect' us to go deeper in Europe than we've ever done under Brendan.

Now I'm not going to throw my toys out of the pram if that doesn't happen because as you say it's his first season but Klopp is such an upgrade on Brendan that I think he should be able to handle me thinking we should at the very least be aiming to finish in a CL spot and have a go at the league.

Sounds to me more like a hope than an expectation.

If you genuinely expect us to challenge for the league this season the I think you're being unfair.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,340 posts | 4963 
      Reply #98: Oct 11, 2015 01:40:02 pm
      If you genuinely expect us to challenge for the league this season the I think you're being unfair.

Unfair on who mate. Myself?

Like I said I'm not going to go crazy if we don't, as there is every possiblity that City and the like pull away, but on do think we can be in with the others at the top as the season goes on.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #99: Oct 11, 2015 01:43:36 pm
      I didn't see much of Dortmund, except in the CL, but listening to people here telling me that Brendan should be finishing in the top.4 with the players he had (I'm not convinced he should btw), and Klopp is one of the best managers in the world, there should be no reason why we shouldn't get at least top 4.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,507 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #100: Oct 11, 2015 01:51:12 pm
      Sounds to me more like a hope than an expectation.

for me challenging for the title is unrealistic this season, thing klopp can improve us but to paraphrase him his isn't a miracle worker.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #101: Oct 11, 2015 01:52:05 pm
      Unfair on who mate. Myself?

Like I said I'm not going to go crazy if we don't, as there is every possiblity that City and the like pull away, but on do think we can be in with the others at the top as the season goes on.

Eh? ;D

Unfair on Klopp and the team mate.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,670 posts | 7156 
      Reply #102: Oct 11, 2015 02:03:33 pm
      Why not Skip?

Don't we always have high expectations at this club?

we haven't played a game yet so its fun to guess or jokingly comment on our future. We could take the league by storm now or more likely we will be hit and miss for a few months and pick up consistency in the new year. Nobody really knows but we can have fun finding out.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #103: Oct 11, 2015 02:06:19 pm
      I think it's about time the players had some pressure put on them, make them realise what it takes to be a Liverpool player.  They'll be under pressure from the Manager now as he won't accept anything other than his way which is "100% full throttle football" and if they can't or won't perform to those expectations, they'll be shown the door.

Whether we win anything in the process remains to be seen as for now the performances and enjoyment factor are more important for me.

I still think we'll win something by the end of the season though  ;D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #104: Oct 11, 2015 02:07:46 pm
      I don't think 4th or above spot is beyond Klopp with quality additions in January, I'm hoping for a good cup run with a possible trophy in the domestic cups with a chance of a quarter/semi in the Europa.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #105: Oct 11, 2015 02:14:53 pm
      This season considering he's basically had no pre-season or summer transfers to put his own stamp on the team, I expect him to make the Mancs go in to melt down.

He's done that without so much as over seeing a game. I'd call that a resounding success.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #106: Oct 11, 2015 02:21:56 pm
      The really interesting thing for me initially is whether he'll go right on ahead with his favoured system from the get go, or try and keep things a bit more simple and formulate a plan which suits the existing personel. that's what I'd do.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,340 posts | 4963 
      Reply #107: Oct 11, 2015 02:24:59 pm
      The really interesting thing for me initially is whether he'll go right on ahead with his favoured system from the get go, or try and keep things a bit more simple and formulate a plan which suits the existing personel. that's what I'd do.

I think we have players who could broadly fit into his favoured system Mick so if I were Jürgen I'd play a system I know and try and use his ability to lift the players to give us that jump for his first game.

Then have a longer look at the squad for for next game.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #108: Oct 11, 2015 02:32:42 pm
      I expect players to start looking like they care and want to be here.  I expect our defence to improve. I expect players to be played in their actual positions. I expect no excuses.  I expect to start enjoying watching us play again.

If these expectations are met then I think we can have a say in where trophies end up this season.  We have been poor so far, but are still in things - I think we are much better off than the Chavs at this point in time.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,670 posts | 7156 
      Reply #109: Oct 11, 2015 02:36:39 pm
      I think it's about time the players had some pressure put on them, make them realise what it takes to be a Liverpool player.  They'll be under pressure from the Manager now as he won't accept anything other than his way which is "100% full throttle football" and if they can't or won't perform to those expectations, they'll be shown the door.

Whether we win anything in the process remains to be seen as for now the performances and enjoyment factor are more important for me.

I still think we'll win something by the end of the season though  ;D

I agree Debbs I think th eplayers have had an easy ride but i dont think Jürgen will take any prisoners or carry any passengers exactly how it should be
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #110: Oct 11, 2015 02:45:19 pm
      I agree Debbs I think th eplayers have had an easy ride but i dont think Jürgen will take any prisoners or carry any passengers exactly how it should be

I don't think he will either, he said as much in one of the interviews.  He will also do what's right for the team, not necessarily the individual and everyone has a clean slate.  The opportunities are there for everyone, be interesting to see who takes them.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #111: Oct 11, 2015 03:27:29 pm
      All things considered, if we make the ECL I'd be happy. That said, if we finish 5th, I won't be disgruntled either.

More than that though, what I expect this season is to see a definite increase in player passion, drive and a never say die attitude. From the manager, I'd like to see 4 at the back and a high tempo pressing game at full throttle.

Small steps for me. First learn to believe, then learn and apply how to play another way, and then we go again.
      Redtrader
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | 29 
      Reply #112: Oct 11, 2015 04:12:00 pm
      I believe this season is an opportunity season, much like the year we came second. Mourinho seems to be imploding, LVG is still erratic, Wenger will make top four as usual and Pelligrini has the best squad and therefore seems to be the most likely to win the Premiership, but.....I'm confident we have the best manager of the lot, yes I know Mourinho wins a lot more, but he's a f**king parasitic locust who just builds nothing and seems to have a club lifespan of 3-4 years max.

With that in mind, I sincerely believe Klopp can get us into the top four, and why not? My feeling is two of the top four spaces are up for grabs this year, and we have to accept we will not be outspending MC, MU or Chequeski anytime soon, therefore our advantage is and has to be the manager. Klopps management style could get far more out of the squad we have, yes it's a little unbalanced, but there is some talent there and he will maximise it.

So I expect us to get into the top four, although I wholeheartedly accept it won't be easy and will be a huge accomplishment, but it's realistic too.

I expect the manager to unite the whole fanbase, which he seems to have.

I expect Anfield to make some bloody noise and match days to be fun, because he demands it.

I expect our manager will not take any sh*t off other managers and to completely back our players.

I expect our players to up their game hugely, because there's no doubt they'll see a manger who has credibility, success, presence and authority.

I expect our manager will create advantages with officials, because again he is larger than life and has the ability to be charming and intimidating.

Mostly I expect to enjoy the rest of the season because of Klopp, win lose or draw.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #113: Oct 12, 2015 02:56:44 pm
      I'd be happy if we go all the way to the last game of the season fighting for a top 4 position and went as far as we could in the cups.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #114: Oct 12, 2015 03:12:39 pm
      I'd be happy if we go all the way to the last game of the season fighting for a top 4 position and went as far as we could in the cups.

This.

Lets be in and around the top four all the way. Plus a cup run!

Quick Reply