Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1538968 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #12627: Apr 25, 2017 11:32:13 pm
      Sorry to wade in, I agree with there needing to be a wage structure in place and I'm sure at most clubs there is one. But I also believe you have to be willing to make exceptions, for exceptional talents. No one could have known how Ronaldo would turn out but I'm also willing to bet he stood out as head and shoulders above his peers of the same age and there would have been an indication he was not your average youngster.

And on the other end of the scale, I'm sure I've seen somewhere that Arsenal have a policy of only offering a 1 year contract if a player is over 30. Again for me that is ridiculous, players peak at different times and being their own individual qualities to a squad.

Personally I do think we seem way too rigid when it comes to our wage structure where we will refuse to budge from it.

Ferguson (apparently) went all out for Ronaldo, and if rumours are to be believed, more or less bullied his Board into paying the transfer fee (about 12 m I think? ) and his wages. whereas Parry just dismissed the idea, and was his usual "can't be arsed" self.
      Right from the start, ferguson wanted him.

That's the difference between a football bloke, and an accountant.

Klopp is a football bloke, and I trust his judgement.

As far as rigidity when it comes to paying our exceptional players, we gave Suarez a huge contract, we've given Coutinho a huge contract, and if you believe the rumours, Mane and Firmino are next in line.
      Our captain is on 100k a week, as are some others.

Our core is OK, but we need to add strength and quality.
      That means 2 or 3 starters, some shipped out, then backup for the bench.
      Honestly, we're not that far off.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #12628: Apr 26, 2017 06:24:38 am

Our core is OK, but we need to add strength and quality.
      That means 2 or 3 starters, some shipped out, then backup for the bench.
      Honestly, we're not that far off.
      We need a
      GK
      ĹB
      ÇB
      CM
      CF

All of these need to go straight into the team as starters and they have to be quality. We are piss poor in those areas and they need plugging .

By the way , Fergusons mind was made up for Ronaldo after Man U played Sporting Lisbon and after the game heard his own defenders raving about how good he had been . He then went and told his Chairman that he wanted him no matter what and paid £17 '000'000 for him .
      He also guaranteed Ronaldo that he would start 30 games for him and not have him sitting on the bench.
      So when people say no one could have known how good Ronaldo could be , one man did.
      That's how Football men go about their business.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #12629: Apr 26, 2017 04:46:05 pm
      Maybe they could afford to take a gamble Parry didn't think was worth it?
      Parry was a glorified accountant, not a football man, and whichever way you look at it, paying a kid who may or may not make it is a risk.
      Parry set the wages, sorted the contracts, dealth with agents and everything else.

Or are you seriously trying to tell me that 35k a week was more than we were paying a host of international stars who were competing in the CL?
      Because to me, that makes no sense.
      If united offered him 35k a week, then that was a compromise they were prepared to make that we wouldn't; way above the youth or U21 scale, but also quite a bit below their top earners.

The worst thing about it is that he was a Liverpool supporter when he was a kid, and would have loved to have come here.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #12630: Apr 26, 2017 11:58:05 pm
      Found this quote on twitter -> Klopp: "We are a good defending team, the highest level defending team, we have to improve of course but its not the biggest issue we have."
      That can't be right..right :f_doh:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #12631: Apr 27, 2017 12:19:00 am
      Some insight from Pearce, take it or leave it.

http://jamiebwriter.com/the-james-pearce-qa-2/
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #12632: Apr 27, 2017 11:07:04 am

I'll take it,
      lots of sense spoken regarding our season, when you add Klopp's admittance that we were short in numbers I'm encouraged these frailties will be fixed this summer, and if we do land Van Dijk, Keita, Brandt and sessegnon it would a good start,

We also need a LB of quality and who can not only attack but defend with his life, a Gk perhaps Buckland and a sh*t load luck,
      I reckon we'd do quire well if all the above cane to fruition....

If only eh??

YNWA
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #12633: Apr 27, 2017 11:13:16 am
      I'll take it,
      lots of sense spoken regarding our season, when you add Klopp's admittance that we were short in numbers I'm encouraged these frailties will be fixed this summer, and if we do land Van Dijk, Keita, Brandt and sessegnon it would a good start,

We also need a LB of quality and who can not only attack but defend with his life, a Gk perhaps Buckland and a sh*t load luck,
      I reckon we'd do quire well if all the above cane to fruition....

If only eh??

YNWA

My only worry is the backtracking on the amount we'll spend already. He says 120m or so, but then says 50-70m could come from sales for a whopping net spend of 50m or one CB from Soton.

With Sakho  injured now, there goes about 30m of that number as well.  We're back to trying to scrape by on less money than our rivals will likely spend.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      Reply #12634: Apr 27, 2017 01:08:00 pm
      My only worry is the backtracking on the amount we'll spend already. He says 120m or so, but then says 50-70m could come from sales for a whopping net spend of 50m or one CB from Soton.

With Sakho  injured now, there goes about 30m of that number as well.  We're back to trying to scrape by on less money than our rivals will likely spend.

Think we're always going to be behind our rivals mate regarding spending, I'm hoping FSG have /will see the light and provide the funds required, even tho it may mean spending in excess of 150m,
      Speculation and accumulation yada yada yada,
      Spending upwards of that will take us somewhere near where we need to be if their ambitions truly match those of Jürgen's,
      Subsequent seasons it's unlikely we would need as much, but for us to bring in the quality to sustain a title challenge and a go in the CL we need this kind of outlay,

I'm only guessing here but as for sales..... £20m, Sturridge, £12m Moreno,  £12m Klavan,  £15m Markovic, £20m Sakho, that's nigh on £80m right there which is over 50%,

Not such a massive amount to find in reality is it?

YNWA
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #12635: Apr 27, 2017 01:17:21 pm
      Think we're always going to be behind our rivals mate regarding spending, I'm hoping FSG have /will see the light and provide the funds required, even tho it may mean spending in excess of 150m,
      Spending upwards of that will take us somewhere near where we need to be if their ambitions truly match those of Jürgen's,
      Subsequent seasons it's unlikely we would need as much, but for us to bring in the quality to sustain a title challenge and a go in the CL we need this kind of outlay,

I'm only guessing here but as for sales..... £20m, Sturridge, £12m Moreno,  £12m Klavan,  £15m Markovic, £20m Sakho, that's nigh on £80m right there which is over 50%,

YNWA

No I suppose not, just hope we can sell early otherwise we'll be sitting around missing out on targets waiting to raise funds.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      Reply #12636: Apr 27, 2017 01:23:54 pm
      No I suppose not, just hope we can sell early otherwise we'll be sitting around missing out on targets waiting to raise funds.

I can see where your coming from mate but I don't think we need to rely on sales to bid for targets,
      Get them in asap and worry about selling later,
      Every man and their dog will want the players we want so acting fast is key,

If you're not fast yer f***in last!!

YNWA
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #12637: Apr 27, 2017 02:35:38 pm

YNWA

Picking on only the highlighted bits. You are definitely not only looking through rose coloured glasses but have been on some mellowing substance. ;)

Who is going to pay £12m for Klavan? I think even £12m for Moreno is bit much we never know. £15m for Markovich - lucky if we get £10. Sakho will be here for another year :(.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,844 posts | 6785 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12638: Apr 29, 2017 02:34:02 am
      Fell asleep during his press conference last night, must admit I was very stoned...did hear him say though, that Hendo isn't even back on the training track. Worrying times for The Captain. Think he's just going to be put in cotton wool for the rest of the Season.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #12639: Apr 29, 2017 02:38:06 am
      Fell asleep during his press conference last night, must admit I was very stoned...did hear him say though, that Hendo isn't even back on the training track. Worrying times for The Captain. Think he's just going to be put in cotton wool for the rest of the Season.

Yeah, last I heard was that he'd been instructed to use crutches to take the weight off his foot. Doesn't sound encouraging.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,844 posts | 6785 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12640: Apr 29, 2017 06:34:54 am
      Yeah, last I heard was that he'd been instructed to use crutches to take the weight off his foot. Doesn't sound encouraging.

sh*t never heard that bud. F***ing not good at all.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #12641: Apr 29, 2017 08:17:39 am
      Liverpool's title challenge may have fizzled out but Jürgen Klopp is not shocked... he believes even Real Madrid and Barcelona would struggle to win the Premier League.

The Reds boss has been given a brutal introduction to English football, with his side perfectly ­capable of outplaying the likes of Chelsea and Spurs but left bruised and battered by ­Burnley and Hull.

As he prepares for a visit to Watford – the scene of his worst defeat since arriving at Anfield 20 months ago – the ­German has become well aware that it’s the so-called smaller clubs that have left him with the bloodiest nose.

“Even for the greats of Spain it would be difficult to win the Premier League,” he said.

“Madrid and Barca would be fighting for everything but it would be very difficult for them. In the Premier League there is nothing certain. The ­intensity is very high.”

Liverpool have not lost to any side in the top eight this season but defeats by Swansea, Palace, Bournemouth ­Leicester, Burnley and Hull have scuppered their title hopes.

Despite criticism of his defence for undermining the tilt for the top, Klopp has given a new £25million contract to centre-half Dejan Lovren, at fault for both goals in last weekend’s Anfield defeat by Crystal Palace.

Klopp said: “If Dejan played for another club you’d think about signing him, and then you think what you’d have to pay for him and it would be big money.

“He is only 27 – the best time for a centre-half is still to come.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #12642: Apr 29, 2017 10:22:59 am
      Liverpool's title challenge may have fizzled out but Jürgen Klopp is not shocked... he believes even Real Madrid and Barcelona would struggle to win the Premier League.

The Reds boss has been given a brutal introduction to English football, with his side perfectly ­capable of outplaying the likes of Chelsea and Spurs but left bruised and battered by ­Burnley and Hull.

As he prepares for a visit to Watford – the scene of his worst defeat since arriving at Anfield 20 months ago – the ­German has become well aware that it’s the so-called smaller clubs that have left him with the bloodiest nose.

“Even for the greats of Spain it would be difficult to win the Premier League,” he said.

“Madrid and Barca would be fighting for everything but it would be very difficult for them. In the Premier League there is nothing certain. The ­intensity is very high.”

Liverpool have not lost to any side in the top eight this season but defeats by Swansea, Palace, Bournemouth ­Leicester, Burnley and Hull have scuppered their title hopes.

Despite criticism of his defence for undermining the tilt for the top, Klopp has given a new £25million contract to centre-half Dejan Lovren, at fault for both goals in last weekend’s Anfield defeat by Crystal Palace.

Klopp said: “If Dejan played for another club you’d think about signing him, and then you think what you’d have to pay for him and it would be big money.

Nice, honest piece that; an interesting read, worthy of note.

Truth is: I've noted [and welcomed] the subtle seed change and softening in some fans' attitude over this past season and a half. From pretentious pricks mocking and ridiculing anyone who dared suggest that Jürgen (like BR before him), would find it difficult, to 'deliver' in the PL, under restrictive FSG policy.

Instead they now readily accept that "with or without Jürgen we can't move forward under that old system":-\

Hmmm... Now where have I read that before?  ;D

You, me and most fans, (whether they admit it or not), know that the owners have [hopefully had] a clear policy on transfers - profit before ability. I'll never accept that policy... irrespective of who's boss.

Fingers crossed Jürgen has convinced the owners that, as 'history' proves - It's not a viable strategy for sustained success.

Irrespective of league position or my rants ;D - I put that [clear swing in opinion] down to Jürgen's honesty...

I mean; if he can admit that "to perform at the highest level" he will need to buy big in the summer: how the F**k can anyone disagree? After all, if you have so much invested in the man and you insist that "Jürgen is in total control" then - if he wants to give Dejan £100k a week, it's because he rates the lad: your hands are tied and you just have to accept it.

Yeah... instead of ridicule, the subtle [hoping to F**k no f**ker notices :laugh:] change sees acceptance. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that does and I welcome it [I'm too old for my 'told you so dance', you see].

Look like I say; sometimes the penny has a long way to drop but it always gets there.  :laugh:

Good man Jürgen.  8)

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2017 05:09:49 pm by bad boy bubby »
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #12643: Apr 29, 2017 10:39:18 am

This is the kind of sh*t that has held us back for over 20 yrs . Sticking with inferior players . So we've now gave Mignolet and Lovren new contracts.? WTF !!
      Jürgen, you are steadily eroding my belief in you.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #12644: Apr 29, 2017 10:49:46 am

Truth is: I've noted [and welcomed] the subtle seed change and softening in some fans' attitude over this past season and a half. From pretentious pricks mocking and ridiculing anyone who dared suggest that Jürgen (like BR before him), would find it difficult, to 'deliver' in the PL, under restrictive FSG policy.

Instead they now readily accept that "with or without Jürgen we can't move under that old system":-\

Irrespective of league position or my rants ;D - I put that [clear swing in opinion] down to Jürgen's honesty...

I mean; if he can admit that "to perform at the highest level" he will need to buy big in the summer: how the f**k can anyone disagree? After all, if you have so much invested in the man and you insist that "Jürgen is in total control" then - if he wants to give Dejan £100k a week, it's because he rates the lad: your hands are tied and you just have to accept it.

Yeah... instead of ridicule, the subtle [hoping to f**k no f**ker notices :laugh:] change sees acceptance. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that does and I welcome it [I'm too old for my 'told you so dance', you see].

Look like I say; sometimes the penny has a long way to drop but it always gets there.  :laugh:

Good man Jürgen.  8)

TBH, it didn't really tell us anything we already knew about the league.

It may still be dawning on Jürgen however; but this league is a bit of a beast and a far cry from Germany.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #12645: Apr 29, 2017 10:58:50 am

Jürgen has also told him to stop carrying his wallet in his back pocket as that is adding extra strain on his foot.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #12646: Apr 29, 2017 11:21:06 am
      TBH, it didn't really tell us anything we already knew about the league.
      Aye... me, you, bigmick and a number of others young belly.

The rest mocked anyone who suggested it would be tougher (than they thought) for Jürgen. Like I said: I welcome their change of mind.  8)
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #12647: Apr 29, 2017 08:36:13 pm

Instead they now readily accept that "with or without Jürgen we can't move forward under that old system":-\

I mean; if he can admit that "to perform at the highest level" he will need to buy big in the summer: how the f**k can anyone disagree? After all, if you have so much invested in the man and you insist that "Jürgen is in total control" then - if he wants to give Dejan £100k a week, it's because he rates the lad: your hands are tied and you just have to accept it.

Yeah... instead of ridicule, the subtle [hoping to f**k no f**ker notices :laugh:] change sees acceptance. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that does and I welcome it [I'm too old for my 'told you so dance', you see].

Good man Jürgen.  8)
      Although I disagree with your sentiment I can't disagree with the logic
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #12648: Apr 30, 2017 11:44:35 am
      Everyone has an off day, whoever, or whatever trade they are in. But for Jürgen to give long term contracts to Mignolet, Klavan, and Lovren, who have all been poorly inconsistent to a worrying level, farcical even. He clearly sees something in them that we don't. Or perhaps he has eyes on targets of the highest quality, and the afore mentioned will become 'back up' to them.
      And pigs might fly.....

Don't see us moving any further up the stability scale while retaining this quality of performers. Theres a few others in the squad of a similar standard, who also stand out as continual liabilities. Can't wait to see their short term future prospects with us.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,314 posts | 769 
      Reply #12649: Apr 30, 2017 12:11:43 pm
      Problem is too many players, have too many off days. They are not delivering, for highly paid professional footballers. Even more worryingly Klopp does not seem able to sort out the team's defensive problems.

Quick Reply