Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1542790 times
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #12765: May 10, 2017 11:38:04 am
      Effective to me means he scored, he had one toe-noggied shot at goal, let's not get too carried away!

Which means that Firming, Coutinho,and Origi were also ineffective. Sturridge showed more effort in the few minutes he was on,  than Origi and Firming showed in the whole game.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #12766: May 10, 2017 04:39:31 pm
      Actually, Firmino consistently is one of the hardest-working players in the team. He didn't enjoy a good match Sunday (none of the attack did), but he always works.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #12767: May 11, 2017 03:29:53 pm
      Actually, Firmino consistently is one of the hardest-working players in the team. He didn't enjoy a good match Sunday (none of the attack did), but he always works.

That's the problem, he works. A number 9 is meant to score goals, not press, not come deep to collect the ball, his one single job in life is to put the ball in the back of the net and Firmino simply doesn't do enough of that. If were a lower mid-table team trying to ensure our Premier League survival each year then it would be fine, but we're not, we're trying to get back to challenging and winning the league and dominating Europe and without a goal scoring number nine we're never going to achieve that.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #12768: May 11, 2017 05:22:46 pm
      That's the problem, he works. A number 9 is meant to score goals, not press, not come deep to collect the ball, his one single job in life is to put the ball in the back of the net and Firmino simply doesn't do enough of that. If were a lower mid-table team trying to ensure our Premier League survival each year then it would be fine, but we're not, we're trying to get back to challenging and winning the league and dominating Europe and without a goal scoring number nine we're never going to achieve that.

I was just commenting on the comment (not from you) that he didn't show effort last weekend. I am on record as wanting us to sign a proven goal-scorer, who can press AND score goals.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #12769: May 11, 2017 05:48:23 pm
      I was just commenting on the comment (not from you) that he didn't show effort last weekend. I am on record as wanting us to sign a proven goal-scorer, who can press AND score goals.

My comment was that Firminho (and Origi)  didn't much work on Sunday, which you seem to agree with.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #12770: May 11, 2017 06:30:38 pm
      My comment was that Firminho (and Origi)  didn't much work on Sunday, which you seem to agree with.

I agree they weren't effective.

You said: "Sturridge showed more effort in the few minutes he was on,  than Origi and Firming showed in the whole game."  (emphasis added)

Firmino, as always, worked hard. So I do not agree with the comment about him not showing effort in the game.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #12771: May 11, 2017 06:34:36 pm

I should add though, as I re-read your comment, that in this system, all three forwards are expected to press, to come deep and to be attacking threats. So I wouldn't say any of them have ever been told "you don't need to press or ever drop deep" because it wouldn't be true in this system. Now can he be more prolific in taking his chances (especially of late)? Absolutely. But I wouldn't set it up where if you see one of our forwards pressing or dropping deep that you automatically decide he's not doing it right.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #12772: May 11, 2017 06:48:09 pm
      I should add though, as I re-read your comment, that in this system, all three forwards are expected to press, to come deep and to be attacking threats. So I wouldn't say any of them have ever been told "you don't need to press or ever drop deep" because it wouldn't be true in this system. Now can he be more prolific in taking his chances (especially of late)? Absolutely. But I wouldn't set it up where if you see one of our forwards pressing or dropping deep that you automatically decide he's not doing it right.
      The problem is our system doesn't work and we don't have the players to play it.
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #12773: May 11, 2017 08:48:54 pm
      One thing that a lot of people seem to be missing is that while we aren't winning the league/haven't got a Suarez tearing up defences every week - we are actually making a lot of progress. At the moment we sit third in the table with 2 games to go - Champions League Football is in our hands for next season and we seem to have a settled way of playing.

We've moved from regularly finishing 6th or lower to Jürgen having a side that is not over reliant on one player - yes we suffer from not having Mane, yes we're better with Coutinho in the side and Firmino through the middle, any side benefits from having their best players available - but when Klopp has another transfer window to get 'his' squad together then I think we'll be very well equipped to progress up the table.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,870 posts | 6808 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12774: May 11, 2017 11:32:41 pm
      Effective to me means he scored, he had one toe-noggied shot at goal, let's not get too carried away!

At least he had a shot on goal, don't think Origi even got in the box.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #12775: May 12, 2017 04:42:19 am
      love the boss but some of his sound bites bug me.  sont know why.

the latest one is him saying we are very close to chelsea. like our gap with them is much closer than that 14 pts would suggest

i really disagree with this i think our team can compete but 38 games in the season doesnt lie. we dont have the concentration to grind out games esp vs lower lvl opponents. chelsea is much more business than us in this sense.  we need to learn greatly there

hence why you, me, every other member on this board is nervous about the next two games.

had we won vs palace. sunderland. etcetc.  just one extra win somewhere against the lower teams.  we would not be here today wondering if we will miss out again
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,972 posts | 5031 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #12776: May 12, 2017 06:44:43 am
      love the boss but some of his sound bites bug me.  sont know why.

the latest one is him saying we are very close to chelsea. like our gap with them is much closer than that 14 pts would suggest

i really disagree with this i think our team can compete but 38 games in the season doesnt lie. we dont have the concentration to grind out games esp vs lower lvl opponents. chelsea is much more business than us in this sense.  we need to learn greatly there

hence why you, me, every other member on this board is nervous about the next two games.

had we won vs palace. sunderland. etcetc.  just one extra win somewhere against the lower teams.  we would not be here today wondering if we will miss out again

You forgot to add Chelsea are a well settled side with quality throughout the team, from Gk to striker they have a spine to match and compete with the best in Europe, they also have good quality bench /fringe players,
      We on the other hand don't have as yet a settled established spine, nor do we have the quality adorning squad full of reliable bench players,
      Yet we are where we are in the league not that far behind those who have either are awash with Russian Roubles or have been rebuilding two seasons more than we have,

Our problems this season are down to lack of players and of quality, both of which will be rectified this summer,

We're struggling now because our players are fu**ed,  Bobby in particular has been a ever present most of the season, it's not physical fitness it's mentally too,

We should have sewn up CL weeks ago, we still will, but we need one last give it everything you have performance to make absolutely sure, and i think we'll do it against the bubble blowers Sunday!

YNWA
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 342 
      Reply #12777: May 12, 2017 06:18:22 pm
      You forgot to add Chelsea are a well settled side with quality throughout the team, from Gk to striker they have a spine to match and compete with the best in Europe, they also have good quality bench /fringe players,
      We on the other hand don't have as yet a settled established spine, nor do we have the quality adorning squad full of reliable bench players,
      Yet we are where we are in the league not that far behind those who have either are awash with Russian Roubles or have been rebuilding two seasons more than we have,

Our problems this season are down to lack of players and of quality, both of which will be rectified this summer,

We're struggling now because our players are fu**ed,  Bobby in particular has been a ever present most of the season, it's not physical fitness it's mentally too,

We should have sewn up CL weeks ago, we still will, but we need one last give it everything you have performance to make absolutely sure, and i think we'll do it against the bubble blowers Sunday!

YNWA

We need TWO mate!!! 

Boro' will have nothing to lose.  Its amazing how often teams, once relegated, suddenly find it in themselves to play like kings.  We can't afford to slacken off in either game because we need two wins!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,504 posts | 4845 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #12778: May 13, 2017 12:32:09 am
      Another one of those 'they'll think I am lying if I post it' moments that, today.

Mad.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,504 posts | 4845 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #12779: May 13, 2017 02:59:13 am
      Another one of those 'they'll think I am lying if I post it' moments that, today.

Mad.

Best part of this post is that I thought I was replying to FL in the 'Your Brushes with Liverpool Players' thread or whatever it's F***ing called.

There have been drinks tonight.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #12780: May 13, 2017 12:08:39 pm
      I tell you one thing, I've had enough of this ranting at officials lark, can't stand it and it makes me lose respect for him.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #12781: May 13, 2017 01:05:28 pm
      I tell you one thing, I've had enough of this ranting at officials lark, can't stand it and it makes me lose respect for him.

What should he do, turn around and bend over?

I think we've had some shocking refs the last few games, compounded by 4th officials agreeing with Jürgen and the rest of the stadium on simple decisions yet not able to communicate that to the ref. That's enough to wind anyone up when there's so much on the line.

It's quite simple that if you put the refs/officials under a certain amount of pressure their decision making will be swayed in your favour a little. Much better than standing there and sarcastically smiling while accepting getting shafted imo.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,039 posts | 3963 
      Reply #12782: May 13, 2017 01:27:58 pm
      Jürgen says his transfer plans hinge on qualifying for the CL.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/Jürgen-klopp-admits-liverpools-summer-13026229

The pre-conditions are appearing early.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #12783: May 13, 2017 02:01:25 pm
      What should he do, turn around and bend over?

I think we've had some shocking refs the last few games, compounded by 4th officials agreeing with Jürgen and the rest of the stadium on simple decisions yet not able to communicate that to the ref. That's enough to wind anyone up when there's so much on the line.

It's quite simple that if you put the refs/officials under a certain amount of pressure their decision making will be swayed in your favour a little. Much better than standing there and sarcastically smiling while accepting getting shafted imo.

As someone who usually gives a lot of leeway to refs  and think, at times, they are judged too harshly, even I have had a word or three about some of our recent officiating.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #12784: May 13, 2017 08:33:11 pm
      Is it possible that the adrenaline rush which came with Klopp, the one that had us pressing high and pinning sides back. Attacking the ball in packs and winning possession for the deadly counter, has now dissipated ?
      Have the players forgot what thier part in all this is, or have the motivational skills of Klopp started to wear thin ?
      How is it we've seen nothing of those sort of performances for 3 or more months?
      Have the tactics been changed purposely, or by default.
      Surely it can't all be down to missing Mane and Hendo !
      Nobody on the park seems to have the high octane energy anymore.
      « Last Edit: May 13, 2017 08:46:01 pm by GERNS »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #12785: May 13, 2017 09:00:56 pm
      If we hold on to 4th, apart from all the posts about transfer wishes, it would be interesting to see Klopps actual targets now. Just to see if he can actually nail them, or go for lesser alternatives as we've been forced to do for whatever reason since Rafa left !
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #12786: May 14, 2017 04:22:58 pm
      At last, a tweak that made a real difference.
      Bringing Cou a bit deeper, playing Sturridge up top, and dropping Lucas from the starting XI.
      Showed intent, and players responded.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,283 posts | 934 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #12787: May 14, 2017 08:54:50 pm
      Tactics were spot on today well in Jürgen

Quick Reply