Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1533091 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #14237: Oct 07, 2017 07:50:18 pm
      NewKit trolls bored on a saturday night.

And boring as well for that matter.

*Awaits posts about how Paul Scholes was a defensive midfielder and Earnshaw would be a "good option" up front for us"

Not boring enough for you to ignore though, eh?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #14238: Oct 07, 2017 07:53:13 pm
      NewKit trolls bored on a saturday night.

And boring as well for that matter.

Great answer Swab. I'd stick to talking about medical stuff if I were you, "abductor muscles", "nurture over nature" and all that stuff. Nobody knows too much about any of that so at least when you spout nonsense nobody picks you up on it. Three years though  :lmao:.

Anyway other things I disagree with from the self righteous brothers. We are "improving" against bus parkers, even though we have failed to beat Watford, Burnley and Newcastle, and were the only team to play Crystal Palace so far this season and not get them to follow on at half time. Apparently we are judging it on "chances created" or "shots which ought to have gone in" or something. Before you know where you are they'll be producing stats whcih tell us that despite the fact we're in fifth or wherever it is at the time, we're actually the best team in the league!

No, I'm a bit more old school/boring as the Swabster pointed out. I still count "improvement" by whether or not you win the game or not, that is to say whether or not you score more goals than the other lot do. Then, when you add the points together (three for a win, one for a draw, none for a loss) you get to work out how well you've done relative to everyone else.

The funniest thing is, this POINTS PER GAME (as they insisted on calling it at the time) was all the rage there for a while. Nowadays it's temporarily out of fashion, being obviously replaced by "NET spend" as the go to subject. That said, the Swabber thinks that it's pointless discussing NET spend "out of context". By "context" he says that "Man City vastly overpayed for Sterling". I don't know what is more wierd, the fact that he thinks that they did overpay for Sterling or that he thinks that in order for "context" in NET SPEND to apply, he personally has to rubber stamp the fees club pay. Arrogant? Nah, not at all  :roll:.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #14239: Oct 07, 2017 08:01:05 pm
      Predictable that people mock what they don't understand, but just to be clear, plenty understand it, but I suppose you can't help being a bit 'Mick.
      "Old school" is right, but F***ing hell even by NewKit troll standards, suggesting Earnshaw could "do a job" was hilariously stupid.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14240: Oct 07, 2017 08:07:38 pm
      Thomas Tuchel          12   8   3   1

Not disputing the rest of your post, as I do think it's silly to suggest a manager like Klopp is "tactically naive", but Tuchel was managing Mainz 05 at the time, those numbers are hardly relevant to be fair.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #14241: Oct 07, 2017 08:07:42 pm
      Predictable that people mock what they don't understand.
      "Old school" is right, but f**king hell even by NewKit troll standards, suggesting Earnshaw could "do a job" was hilariously stupid.

Wow you did some research, that was years ago!! Mind you I guess when you've hung the old boots up you've got lots of spare time on your hands so fair play. Earnshaw was actually a fine pick, it was in a thread where we were kicking around names that could be signed if it was the case that the club literally had no money and had to fire sale top players in order to stay afloat (the Hicks Gillette era). To much derision I suggested Robert Earnshawe as a potential 2 million quid signing, then for the rest of that season we had a gold old laugh back and forth, but he ended up scoring (I think) it was 9 league goals (for West Brom I think) and it was great fun. (that last word means "having a laugh").

Anyway though, "It takes a minimum of 3 years to build a solid team capable of consistently challenging for trophies. Every manager and every remotely switched on observer of the game knows this"....... :lmao:

I'd reccommend reading stuff back before you hit "post" if you're gonna put up that sort of nonsense bud.  8) 

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14242: Oct 07, 2017 08:10:03 pm
      Every manager and every remotely switched on observer of the game knows this

Predictable that people mock what they don't understand

Oh dear. :D
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #14243: Oct 07, 2017 08:15:31 pm
      Van Gaal;

"That is what I have always done at all the clubs. You can listen to the boards of these clubs and what they are saying about me.

"I am training in another way than most of the other managers are doing. I train them in their brains. Every player has to know why they are doing things on the pitch."

And Van Gaal insists there will be no quick fix at United.

"We are in a process and that process shall take more than one year," he said. "It shall take three years.

"I cannot say when the results are coming. When I did it with Bayern Munich it was December 8. It can be February 1. But it doesn't matter. This is a process of three years. I have signed for three years.

"It takes a lot of time. But at the end, when they know it and they are doing the things with conscience, the results shall come.

"Our goal (this season) is to get back in the Champions League."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/9554960/louis-van-gaal-says-he-needs-three-years-to-turn-manchester-united-around

Klopp; 3 years at Mainz until he started getting consistent results.
      3 years at Dortmund before he started getting consistent results.

Oh dear indeed.

So many idiots, so little time  :lmao: :lmao:
      F**k me, talk about walking into it.  :lmao:
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #14244: Oct 07, 2017 08:17:29 pm

With not even a hint of irony :(

Am expecting posts to soon be signed off with "... PhD in Soccer Science"

Reckon most can't be arsed to compete in page real estate, but people who watch matches week in week out can determine for themselves the current state of affairs, and the level of progress actually being made.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14245: Oct 07, 2017 08:19:15 pm
      With not even a hint of irony

I know! That's the beauty of it :D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14246: Oct 07, 2017 08:20:10 pm
      Van Gaal;

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/9554960/louis-van-gaal-says-he-needs-three-years-to-turn-manchester-united-around

Klopp; 3 years at Mainz until he started getting consistent results.
      3 years at Dortmund before he started getting consistent results.

Oh dear indeed.

So many idiots, so little time  :lmao: :lmao:
      F**k me, talk about walking into it.  :lmao:

Oh wow. Impressive :D

I can't stop laughing at the thought of you googling "managers three seasons" or something of the kind.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #14247: Oct 07, 2017 08:21:52 pm
      Anyway silliness and self delusion of the self righteous brothers aside, here are my thoughts on Jürgen so far.

1. I think the team has improved from where it was when Jürgen took over . The season before he took over we finished 6th in the league and thanks to the transfer committee and Sturridges injuries, we had Ricky Lambert and Mario Ballotelli as our strikers. Rodgers ended up with Sterling being his main striker, who he then lost at the end of that season to City. His new signings at the start of the next season (Firmino, Benteke etc) had only been at the club 8 games or something when Rodgers got the sack, but we hadn't started the season well. We ARE a better team now than we were in that period. Overall of course we have less points per game, but the team under Rodgers which almost won the title was the bomb and skews the figures a bit I think.

2. I think Jürgen has made some excellent signings .Mane was a truly great buy for the money and is the standout. Matip on a free was good value, and although I think Salah was a committee signing Jürgen gets the credit and he looks like a good buy. I am going to take a leap of faith and put Kieta and VVD as both coming, and of being good players.

3. I don't think Jürgen is tactically naive . I do though think that he is being asked a question currently for which he hasn't figured out the answer. It's obvious that for a lengthly period of time now we have struggled against bus parkers who just give us the ball. At some point we will need to either have a plan B or get much better at the plan A.

4. Jürgen has so far failed with the defence and his grasp of English football . It's really not good enough to keep conceding the same goal against the same teams. Jürgen has been in charge for 100 games or so now, and EVEN WITH THE PERSONEL AT HIS DISPOSAL he ought to have done better.

5. I think we will in all probability finish sixth in the league this season and win nothing . Although it will then be very hard to frame a "we are improving" argument, I still think it would be a huge mistake to sack the manager. It almost always is.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #14248: Oct 07, 2017 08:31:57 pm
      Managers who aren't doing any good always ask for more time and claim it's a "process" and all that stuff don't they? Van Gaal obviously could have had ten years at Man Utd and still not got it right as he was patently in the wrong club at the wrong time, but the reality is obviously it "depends".

Mourinho generally goes in all guns blazing and puts himself under pressure by trying to win in the first season, as I said earlier Conte took a team which finished 10th the previous season and won the league last year. In so doing he blew my much vaunted "base camp theory" out of the water Swabber. If you choose to go digging into Newkittery tomorrow while you're sipping your cocoa, I'd reccomend searching that out. Good discussion that was.

Clearly though offering up "it takes three years" as a definitive was a ridiculous statement to make, we all do it from time to time. Best thing is normally just to hold your hands up, "you got me" and move on. Not saying you'll do that obviously  :lmao:.   
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #14249: Oct 07, 2017 08:34:49 pm
      4. Jürgen has so far failed with the defence and his grasp of English football . It's really not good enough to keep conceding the same goal against the same teams. Jürgen has been in charge for 100 games or so now, and EVEN WITH THE PERSONEL AT HIS DISPOSAL he ought to have done better.

But he inherited a mess !!

(this 'argument' has no apparent expiry date)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14250: Oct 07, 2017 09:11:36 pm
      Just for a laugh - and entirely irrelevant to our discussion on Jürgen Klopp - let's take a look at some managers who took less than 3 years to "consistently challenge" for something.

(in no particular order, both modern and past managers)

Pep Guardiola - won the league in his first year at Barça. Won the league in his first year at Bayern. Could well win the league in his second year at Man City.
      Jose Mourinho - won the league in his first full season at Porto. Won the league in his first season at Chelsea. Won the league in his first season at Internazionale. Won the league in his second season at Real Madrid. Probably challenging for the league in his second season at Man Utd.
      Antonio Conte - won the league in his first season at Juventus. Won the league in his first season at Chelsea.
      Rafael Benitez - won the league in his first season at Valencia. Then he did a "fluke" in his first season at Liverpool, apparently.
      Arsene Wenger - won the league in his first season at Monaco. Won the league in his second season at Arsenal.
      Claudio Ranieri - won the league in his first season at Leicester.
      Carlo Ancelotti - won the league in his second full season at Milan. Won the league in his first season at Chelsea. Won the league in his first full season at PSG. Won the league in his first season at Bayern.
      Brian Clough - won the league in his first season in the first division at Nottm Forest (his second full season at the club).
      Bob Paisley - won the league in his second season at Liverpool.
      Joe Fagan - won the league in his first season at Liverpool.
      Kenny Dalglish - won the league in his first season at Liverpool.
      Arrigo Sacchi - won the league in his first season at Milan.
      Fabio Capello - won the league in his first season at Milan. Won the league in his first season at Real Madrid (twice). Won the league in his second season at Roma. Won the league in his first season at Juventus.
      Rinus Michels - won the league in his first season at Ajax.
      Ottmar Hitzfeld - won the league in his first season at Bayern (twice).
      Jupp Heynckes - won the league in his second season at Bayern (twice).
      Marcello Lippi - won the league in his first season at Juventus (twice).
      Javier Irureta - won the league in his second season at Deportivo La Coruña.
      Udo Lattek - won the league in his second season at Bayern (twice). Won the league in his first season at Monchengladbach.

I could go on, but now I'm too bored.

So anyway, if you take a couple of examples and think this make up a "theory", then with that many examples, can I bullshit you by saying it actually takes 2 years or less? :D

Of course I can't, but I'm not a professional bullshitter myself. Context is important at all times, not just when it suits the argument.

Oh that was an amazingly pointless post, but I assure you I had fun. :)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #14251: Oct 07, 2017 09:23:36 pm
      Just for a laugh - and entirely irrelevant to our discussion on Jürgen Klopp - let's take a look at some managers who took less than 3 years to "consistently challenge" for something.

Pep Guardiola - won the league in his first year at Barça. Won the league in his first year at Bayern. Could well win the league in his second year at Man City.
      Jose Mourinho - won the league in his first full season at Porto. Won the league in his first season at Chelsea. Won the league in his first season at Internazionale. Won the league in his second season at Real Madrid. Probably challenging for the league in his second season at Man Utd.
      Antonio Conte - won the league in his first season at Juventus. Won the league in his first season at Chelsea.
      Rafael Benitez - won the league in his first season at Valencia. Then he did a "fluke" in his first season at Liverpool, apparently.
      Arsene Wenger - won the league in his first season at Monaco. Won the league in his second season at Arsenal.
      Carlo Ancelotti - won the league in his second full season at Milan. Won the league in his first season at Chelsea. Won the league in his first full season at PSG. Won the league in his first season at Bayern.
      Brian Clough - won the league in his first season in the first division at Nottm Forest (his second full season at the club).
      Fabio Capello - won the league in his first season at Milan. Won the league in his first season at Real Madrid (twice). Won the league in his second season at Roma. Won the league in his first season at Juventus.
      Udo Lattek - won the league in his second season at Bayern (twice). Won the league in his first season at Monchengladbach.

So anyway, if you take a couple of examples and think this make up a "theory", then with that many examples, can I bullshit you by saying it actually takes 2 years or less? :D

Of course I can't, but I'm not a professional bullshitter myself. Context is important at all times, not just when it suits the argument.

Diego me old mucker, I know English isn't your first language, so maybe you missed the fact that I said "build" a team.
      Or maybe you're so intent on trolling that you forgot  ???

There's a reason why European clubs have a DoF, and that is to provide continuity and negate the need to rebuild every time a new manager comes in.

There's been the odd fluke here and there, but the idea that Guardiola had to start from scratch (or any of the others for that matter) is F***ing laughable.
      They went to those clubs as coaches - they didn't have to "build" a team from a low base.

See the difference?

As for Rafa, are you saying that 2005, was planned and well managed, and that we in no way rode our luck throughout the group, knockout stages and the final?

A good coach (not manager) under a DoF can take a decent side and make them better.

A manager takes time to rebuild, and the average is 3 years.
      « Last Edit: Oct 07, 2017 09:28:24 pm by Swab »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #14252: Oct 07, 2017 09:25:34 pm

Every one of those sentences in the list say won the league. Could have formatted it in a way to write much less. No common sense.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14253: Oct 07, 2017 09:33:06 pm
      Every one of those sentences in the list say won the league. Could have formatted it in a way to write much less. No common sense.

I wasn't expecting to write that much. It just so happens that every time I thought of a top manager, he had probably won something in his first two seasons at at least one club :D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14254: Oct 07, 2017 10:01:10 pm
      Diego me old mucker, I know English isn't your first language, so maybe you missed the fact that I said "build" a team.
      Or maybe you're so intent on trolling that you forgot  ???

There's a reason why European clubs have a DoF, and that is to provide continuity and negate the need to rebuild every time a new manager comes in.

There's been the odd fluke here and there, but the idea that Guardiola had to start from scratch (or any of the others for that matter) is f**king laughable.
      They went to those clubs as coaches - they didn't have to "build" a team from a low base.

See the difference?

As for Rafa, are you saying that 2005, was planned and well managed, and that we in no way rode our luck throughout the group, knockout stages and the final?

A good coach (not manager) under a DoF can take a decent side and make them better.

A manager takes time to rebuild, and the average is 3 years.

It's very easy to dismiss every single one of those achievements as the result of a Director of Football, although there are plenty of examples in English football as well. Anyway, you don't need to regurgitate that Soccernomics quote in every single post though, I've read the original. Although the idea of a DoF may sound so fantastic and insightful to an English football, it's not that special - particularly as some clubs changed theirs almost as often as their managers.

I don't think Guardiola built the Bayern squad, just as I don't think the list above is simply the result of DoFs - which is why context is important at all times. Guardiola or Mourinho, for instance, are far more than just coaches, and have a very important input into the players they sign. And even if you look into DoFs, I can provide you examples of your bullshit. Txiki Begiristain, perhaps the most famous of them around, won the league in his second season at Barcelona, after appointing Rijkaard and signing a few new players. Sammer took over at Bayern and won the treble in his first season.

And by the way, you use Klopp's experience to "prove" your 3 years theory, ignoring that Borussia Dortmund operate with a DoF and Zorc had been at the club way before Jürgen.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14255: Oct 07, 2017 10:12:40 pm
      Premier League winning managers.

Alex Ferguson - took him far more than 3 years.
      Kenny Dalglish - took him two seasons in the Premiership.
      Arsene Wenger - took him two seasons.
      Jose Mourinho - took him one season, twice.
      Carlo Ancelotti - took him one season.
      Roberto Mancini - took him two full seasons.
      Manuel Pellegrini - took him one season.
      Claudio Ranieri - took him one season.
      Antonio Conte - took him one season.

I love trolling!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #14256: Oct 07, 2017 10:22:33 pm
      It's very easy to dismiss every single one of those achievements as the result of a Director of Football, although there are plenty of examples in English football as well. Anyway, you don't need to regurgitate that Soccernomics quote in every single post though, I've read the original. Although the idea of a DoF may sound so fantastic and insightful to an English football, it's not that special - particularly as some clubs changed theirs almost as often as their managers.

I don't think Guardiola built the Bayern squad, just as I don't think the list above is simply the result of DoFs - which is why context is important at all times. Guardiola or Mourinho, for instance, are far more than just coaches, and have a very important input into the players they sign. And even if you look into DoFs, I can provide you examples of your bullshit. Txiki Begiristain, perhaps the most famous of them around, won the league in his second season at Barcelona, after appointing Rijkaard and signing a few new players. Sammer took over at Bayern and won the treble in his first season.

And by the way, you use Klopp's experience to "prove" your 3 years theory, ignoring that Borussia Dortmund operate with a DoF and Zorc had been at the club way before Jürgen.

There's no dismissal of anything.
      The fact is that a DoF, whether new, changed often or in the job for life provides a continuity rarely seen in English football until the last few years.

It's another fact that for some reason, English clubs (mostly managers) don't like a common system that is proven to work well.
      It's certainly better than having a new manager strip the playing squad, and rebuild from a low base.

It's the simple difference between a coach and a manager, and in English football the manager is seen as all powerful and a DoF as some sort of interloper there to undermine the manager.

This is why I specifically said build a team.

Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish all had what was rare in English football at the time; continuity, of style, of training, of philosophy, everything. They took what Shanks had built and brought it forwards.

There's the difference you seem determined to ignore in your rush to just create a narrative and troll.

Then we can take Van Gaal's statement, which is strangely like BR's statement that you train dogs, you educate players.

In complex systems, it takes time; Klopp's average is 3 years (so far) and when you look at it from a wider perspective, it makes sense.
      It's still building a side though.
      Klopp just happens to be very good at getting the best out of players, given time.
      Which makes a mockery of your point that Klopp worked under a DoF at Dortmund, because he got the best out of some average players, and built them into a team that could attract better players.

So yes, having watched English football for over 50 years, I can safely say that building a team rather than stepping in and coaching takes an average of 3 years.

Football coaching where a coach comes into what is already a settled setup is different, but I'll bet that if those managers had to build from scratch, it would take a lot longer.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #14257: Oct 07, 2017 10:25:08 pm
      Premier League winning managers.

Alex Ferguson - took him far more than 3 years.
      Kenny Dalglish - took him two seasons in the Premiership.
      Arsene Wenger - took him two seasons.
      Jose Mourinho - took him one season, twice.
      Carlo Ancelotti - took him one season.
      Roberto Mancini - took him two full seasons.
      Manuel Pellegrini - took him one season.
      Claudio Ranieri - took him one season.
      Antonio Conte - took him one season.

I love trolling!

Which of those actually built a team?  :roll:

Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #14258: Oct 07, 2017 10:27:39 pm
      Then he and the lads get onto the "shambles" that Jürgen inherited whilst ignoring the fact that he said many times that he very much liked the squad he inherited, and despite the fact he still hasn't replaced 4/5 of them and has offered many of them new contracts you have to wonder.

Then we've got the other fella telling us that we're improving against bus parkers (or at least we are if you're as intelligent as him and you know what to look for)...

No, I'm a bit more old school/boring as the Swabster pointed out. I still count "improvement" by whether or not you win the game or not, that is to say whether or not you score more goals than the other lot do. Then, when you add the points together (three for a win, one for a draw, none for a loss) you get to work out how well you've done relative to everyone else.

He's hardly going to come out right after he's been appointed as manager and say that the 40 odd players he inherited are sh*t, is he? You can't get rid off an entire squad over the course of 4-5 transfer windows and bring in 30 new players. He is still slowly getting rid off players and only a handful players he inherited back then will be part of the matchday squad next season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%9316_Liverpool_F.C._season#First_team

That's the squad he inherited, have a look at it and tell me that squad is not a 'shambles' (I wasn't even talking about the team alone, I was talking about the entire club). 37 players. Right now only 14 (not counting players on loan) are still at the club. That's 23 gone already over the course of two years (almost exactly two years now, isn't it?). Out of those 14, only Firmino, Coutinho, Lallana, Clyne and Henderson are nailed on starters this season. How many do you expect to be starters next season? He kept the ones he thought he could work with for the time being and most of these players are slowly being taken out of the starting eleven too.

Then with regards to us improving against the bus parkers, all you have to do is open your eyes, watch the game and look at the chances we create, no intelligence needed at all. It's not rocket-science. We are creating plenty of good chances, we're not finishing them. Last season we didn't create much at all. Is going from almost nothing to this, in terms of chances created, not an improvement? It isn't of course if you only measure improvement by "points gained".

But, just for you Mick, because you're a bit old school / boring and all that, we will measure our improvement against the bus parkers by your standards: 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, 0 points for a loss. Easy enough. We'll compare our results against the bus parkers this season to our results against the exact same fixtures last season.

'16-'17
      Watford A (0-1) 3
      Palace H (1-2)
      Burnley H (2-1) 3
      Leicester A (3-1)

7 points.

'17-'18
      Watford A (3-3) 1
      Palace H (1-0) 3
      Burnley H (1-1) 1
      Leicester A (2-3) 3

9 points.

Well look at that... We actually have two more points at this stage of the season having played the bus parkers compared to last season. So by your old school measurement: Is that... Improvement? Didn't include Newcastle as they weren't in the league last season, but the corresponding fixture as "first away game at newly promoted team" would be our 2-0 loss at Burnley, so there's another point. That's of course ridiculous, so I left that out.

Now before you come out and say "relative to others" to measure our own improvement in these kind of games:

Watford fixture: Liverpool draw, City won
      Palace fixture: Liverpool win, United win, City win
      Burnley fixture: Liverpool draw, Spurs draw, Chelsea loss
      Leicester fixture: Liverpool win, Arsenal win, United win

So... In that table, how are we doing "relative to others"? Not too bad by the looks of it?

Conte didn't take three seasons obviously. He took over a team which had finished 10th the previous season, completely changed their tactical approach 1/3 of the way through the season and won the league. Mourinho (now he DID inherit a shambles) isn't taking three seasons at Man Utd and has completely changed the way they play, nor is Guardiola at City and he too has totally altered their approach.

Conte inherited a squad that won the title the season prior to finishing 10th. The only reason they finished 10th that season was because the players stopped playing for Mourinho and wanted the f**ker gone. Conte added only 3 new starters and kept almost the entire title winning squad together. He did change the tactical approach, but he changed it to something he had been doing for years and years before that at both Juventus and Italy. He tried something new, he failed and he went back to what he knew.

Mourinho did indeed change the way they play and it cost them €350 million in just two seasons to change that way of play.

Guardiola has spent €463 million in just two seasons to change the squad. He didn't change the way he sees football, he used the same formation and setup at Bayern near the end of his time there. Nothing new, he just had to bring in the players he needed to play his system.

We have spent €170 million in the same time with Klopp still bringing in his own players. We don't have that kind of money to spend, we have to be more cautious in our approach and with our dealings in the transfermarket. Is it really that much of a surprise, looking at this, that it is taking him longer to build his team?
      « Last Edit: Oct 07, 2017 10:43:51 pm by Danzel »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14259: Oct 07, 2017 10:49:13 pm
      The fact is that a DoF, whether new, changed often or in the job for life provides a continuity rarely seen in English football until the last few years.

How come does a new or often changed DoF provide continuity exactly?
      You seem to assume that the existence of the post somehow translates into long-term good decisions.
      Hint: for those of us who are actually used to DoFs, and not too easily impressed with a half decent book like Soccernomics, we know that is not necessarily the case.

It's certainly better than having a new manager strip the playing squad, and rebuild from a low base.

It sure is - but having a DoF doesn't always mean managers don't do that. And not having a DoF doesn't mean that managers will necessarily strip the playing squad either.

Jürgen Klopp himself haven't done so at LFC. For all the low base talking point, in his third season at the club he had in his latest two starting XI 7 players from before his time at the club.

There's the difference you seem determined to ignore in your rush to just create a narrative and troll.

I understand the difference, hence I believe in the importance of context. I'm the one who's refusing to make up silly generalisations like a 3-year rule. I'm not disputing that building a team takes time, I'm laughing at your arrogance to suggest a golden rule that supposedly "every intelligent observer" knows. That's bullshit of the highest order.

Then we can take Van Gaal's statement, which is strangely like BR's statement that you train dogs, you educate players.

Funnily enough Van Gaal challenged for the title with Ajax from his very first year, won the league at the first time of trying at both Barça and Bayern, but came up with that quote where he was failing miserably. I wish Man Utd would have given him more time to "educate" his players. As for Brendan Rodgers, he challenged for the title in his second season. Weird. And did so with a lineup composed of 7 or 8 players he inherited - and here's me thinking that new managers strip the playing squad!

In complex systems, it takes time; Klopp's average is 3 years (so far) and when you look at it from a wider perspective, it makes sense.
      It's still building a side though.
      Klopp just happens to be very good at getting the best out of players, given time.

Klopp's average, yes. At two clubs. And by the way - I'm all for giving him time. And money. Especially money.

So yes, having watched English football for over 50 years, I can safely say that building a team rather than stepping in and coaching takes an average of 3 years.

If you can always dismiss managers winning before that as "stepping in and coaching" then sure, you can safely say whatever crap you want.

Quick Reply