Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1543810 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #16583: Feb 15, 2018 10:05:43 pm
      As ever you lack any context or relativity. When Klopp came into this club we were pulling in all different directions. We had a transfer strategy that was nothing of the kind and had chosen to turn its back on 'attractive, thrilling football' in favour of buying expensive duds like Christian Benteke, Markovic and bargain bin transfers like Lambert and Manquillo which, to use an analogy, was akin to throwing in rotten satsumas as 'stocking fillers' at Christmas time. Farcically we had the contradictory situation of an entire backroom staff being sacked in the summer of 2015 while the manager kept his job. When we found ourselves 'competing' in Europe in the seasons prior to Klopp's arrival we were dumped out by starry illustrious names like Braga, Zenit St Petersburg, Basle and Besiktas - three of those in the early stages of the Europa League for fucks sake. In the months prior to his arrival, we couldn't score more than one goal a game while shipping sh*t loads at the other end perfectly exemplified by possibly the worst ever performance in Liverpool FC history at Stoke in May 2015.

So Klopp comes into the club and swiftly goes about doing what he does best. He gets us to two cup finals with a donkey of a squad. He then oversees our return to the Champions League while playing a brand of football that is not only thrilling and attractive to football fans all over but to players outwith the club. He deploys his charisma to convince class players like VVD to shun a bigger pay day (and instant trophies) at Man City. With few exceptions he has improved every single player at this club. He's seen what the likes of Mane and Salah did at their previous clubs and has improved them tenfold. He guides us through the Champions League with little to no fanfare and is back on the verge of getting us into the last 8 in Europe, the arena where we all felt we should have been competing. And he's achieved this while the competition around us has only got tougher. Not only have teams around us inflated the transfer market to stratospheric levels while we've remained at the same level, the income of brilliant managerial masterminds like Guardiola at Man City and Conte at Chelsea has only risen standards on the field as well. These two elements should have worked against Liverpool and Klopp but Klopp's leadership alone means that this doesn't become an issue or certainly an issue as big as it would have been under almost any other manager. 99.9% of managers out there would have been exposed under such circumstances but we aren't. Yeah - he hasn't got everything right and for sure in the goalkeeping matter his decision to try placating both keepers doesn't seem wise in retrospect but to use that in the way you are doing, to try and pithily use this as a dominating factor in your view of Klopp is pathetic when you fail to recognise so many greater matters that he has succeeded on.

By all means, focus on the micro elements and criticise on that level but don't even dare try to fool us by taking such micro elements and expanding them into bigger, macro elements of his leadership at this club. When you try to argue such micro elements and apply it to a bigger, all encompassing argument then you fail miserably. It's like you're bringing a sausage to a sword fight. That's all you're doing and you look a fool for doing it.
      I respect your opinion, I do think Klopp has been a good manager this February, but did you bang your head and forget December? I have expectations of trophies. I don't have expectations to keep getting knocked out of domestic cups first game. Good we beat Porto, best result since we beat Arsenal 4-0. What were the 2 results after the 4-0 win against Arsenal? Oh yeah, two draws against West Brom and Everton... then we won 7-0 against Spartak Moscow.

I personally think Mignolet had a lot to answer for in the Brom and Everton games.. and I only been calling for Mignolet to be dropped for about 2 years.....   Klopp did that now so I do expect results to improve and it is no coincidence Karius saving shots and we are doing better... everyone hails Klopp now but really we are under appreciating Karius and not saying, what the **** took so long to put him where he belonged for a long time. The penny dropped with Klopp and now may go on to win trophies, heck I even think we can win the champions league this season... if we do that then great! Klopp has done well. However an empty cabinet is not a success and even with all those excuses, you fail to mention the quality we actually have. I think we have had the best attack in the league for a long time and we FINALLY decided to have a goalkeeper.

Klopp does make the right decisions but in my opinion, he takes a long time to make them.

A long time to decide which players to buy
      A long time to decide which subs to use
      A long time to drop players under performing.

Do I think Klopp can win trophies? YES.. and perhaps it is some kind of strategy that Klopp takes a bit longer to make decisions and I am a bit impatient, I am glad Klopp is our manager and I would not swap him for another. He does have room for improvement though and that is not a bad thing, because it means we are going to get better.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #16584: Feb 15, 2018 10:21:45 pm
      I respect your opinion, I do think Klopp has been a good manager this February, but did you bang your head and forget December? I have expectations of trophies. I don't have expectations to keep getting knocked out of domestic cups first game. Good we beat Porto, best result since we beat Arsenal 4-0. What were the 2 results after the 4-0 win against Arsenal? Oh yeah, two draws against West Brom and Everton... then we won 7-0 against Spartak Moscow.

I personally think Mignolet had a lot to answer for in the Brom and Everton games.. and I only been calling for Mignolet to be dropped for about 2 years.....   Klopp did that now so I do expect results to improve and it is no coincidence Karius saving shots and we are doing better... everyone hails Klopp now but really we are under appreciating Karius and not saying, what the **** took so long to put him where he belonged for a long time. The penny dropped with Klopp and now may go on to win trophies, heck I even think we can win the champions league this season... if we do that then great! Klopp has done well. However an empty cabinet is not a success and even with all those excuses, you fail to mention the quality we actually have. I think we have had the best attack in the league for a long time and we FINALLY decided to have a goalkeeper.

Klopp does make the right decisions but in my opinion, he takes a long time to make them.

Do I think Klopp can win trophies? YES.. and perhaps it is some kind of strategy that Klopp takes a bit longer to make decisions and I am a bit impatient, I am glad Klopp is our manager and I would not swap him for another. He does have room for improvement though and that is not a bad thing, because it means we are going to get better.

Ribs - the way you order things in your head is bizarre.

It’s commonly acknowledged that Klopp managed the rotation etc through December extremely well - hence our excellent run up to Swansea / West Brom.

The Arsenal 4-0 was August. August - not December.

The game after Arsenal was City and the Mane sending off.

I think this is part of the reason you get yourself so bunkered that people think you’re at the wind up. You mix facts with an absolute shoot from the hip disregard for facts in the same argument. It’s genuinely confusing / infuriating to read.

December wasn’t a bad month, we had a flat 3 days and got 2 draws......

All the things you think he could do better are fine as observations but only if balanced by the awareness that he’s not a robot - every manager has things we all disagree with. BUT the top ones do a significantly better job than you or I ever could. You don’t seem to accept that. It’s goes like “I think Migs is sh*t. Therefore Jürgen is sh*t till he agrees and even if he ever does he’s still tainted cos he didn’t agree with me from the off.”

That’s how your opinions come across. Based on a confused and / or partial knowledge base, and a naive / limited and belligerent view of what a football manager’s job is.

Feedback is a gift. Do with it what u like.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16585: Feb 15, 2018 10:29:44 pm
      Ribs - the way you order things in your head is bizarre.

It’s commonly acknowledged that Klopp managed the rotation etc through December extremely well - hence our excellent run up to Swansea / West Brom.

The Arsenal 4-0 was August. August - not December.

The game after Arsenal was City and the Mane sending off.

I think this is part of the reason you get yourself so bunkered that people think you’re at the wind up. You mix facts with an absolute shoot from the hip disregard for facts in the same argument. It’s genuinely confusing / infuriating to read.

All the things you think he could do better are fine as observations but only if balanced by the awareness that he’s not a robot - every manager has things we all disagree with. BUT the top ones do a significantly better job than you or I ever could. You don’t seem to accept that. It’s goes like “I think Migs is sh*t. Therefore Jürgen is sh*t till he agrees and even if he ever does he’s still tainted cos he didn’t agree with me from the off.”

That’s how your opinions come across. Based on a confused and / or partial knowledge base, and a naive / limited and belligerent view of what a football manager’s job is.

Feedback is a gift. Do with it what u like.
      Touché
      Kopite78
      Reply #16586: Feb 16, 2018 07:26:00 am

https://youtu.be/FV8tciBFpCI
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #16587: Feb 16, 2018 09:32:12 am
      Imagine what Klopp would achieve if he were a cheque book manager?....

It's what I love about Klopp & Rafa, they love a challenge & break the established order...

Got me dreaming Boss.. 78/18 .... ;D
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #16588: Feb 16, 2018 09:41:45 am

Not a pop Ribs - you must get bored with some of the arguing.

All you can do is manage your end - I don’t pretend to be flawless or have all the answers but I’m trying to say how you come across to me sometimes.

Good luck to you.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #16589: Feb 16, 2018 10:59:47 am
      As ever you lack any context or relativity. When Klopp came into this club we were pulling in all different directions. We had a transfer strategy that was nothing of the kind and had chosen to turn its back on 'attractive, thrilling football' in favour of buying expensive duds like Christian Benteke, Markovic and bargain bin transfers like Lambert and Manquillo which, to use an analogy, was akin to throwing in rotten satsumas as 'stocking fillers' at Christmas time. Farcically we had the contradictory situation of an entire backroom staff being sacked in the summer of 2015 while the manager kept his job. When we found ourselves 'competing' in Europe in the seasons prior to Klopp's arrival we were dumped out by starry illustrious names like Braga, Zenit St Petersburg, Basle and Besiktas - three of those in the early stages of the Europa League for fucks sake. In the months prior to his arrival, we couldn't score more than one goal a game while shipping sh*t loads at the other end perfectly exemplified by possibly the worst ever performance in Liverpool FC history at Stoke in May 2015.

So Klopp comes into the club and swiftly goes about doing what he does best. He gets us to two cup finals with a donkey of a squad. He then oversees our return to the Champions League while playing a brand of football that is not only thrilling and attractive to football fans all over but to players outwith the club. He deploys his charisma to convince class players like VVD to shun a bigger pay day (and instant trophies) at Man City. With few exceptions he has improved every single player at this club. He's seen what the likes of Mane and Salah did at their previous clubs and has improved them tenfold. He guides us through the Champions League with little to no fanfare and is back on the verge of getting us into the last 8 in Europe, the arena where we all felt we should have been competing. And he's achieved this while the competition around us has only got tougher. Not only have teams around us inflated the transfer market to stratospheric levels while we've remained at the same level, the income of brilliant managerial masterminds like Guardiola at Man City and Conte at Chelsea has only risen standards on the field as well. These two elements should have worked against Liverpool and Klopp but Klopp's leadership alone means that this doesn't become an issue or certainly an issue as big as it would have been under almost any other manager. 99.9% of managers out there would have been exposed under such circumstances but we aren't. Yeah - he hasn't got everything right and for sure in the goalkeeping matter his decision to try placating both keepers doesn't seem wise in retrospect but to use that in the way you are doing, to try and pithily use this as a dominating factor in your view of Klopp is pathetic when you fail to recognise so many greater matters that he has succeeded on.

By all means, focus on the micro elements and criticise on that level but don't even dare try to fool us by taking such micro elements and expanding them into bigger, macro elements of his leadership at this club. When you try to argue such micro elements and apply it to a bigger, all encompassing argument then you fail miserably. It's like you're bringing a sausage to a sword fight. That's all you're doing and you look a fool for doing it.

A well written post but I disagree that goalkeeping and defence, until very very recently, are micro elements. It looks now like Jürgen has finally focussed on both and if we can further strengthen the defence plus get a top notch goalkeeper in the summer then we can get to the next level and finally start aiming for the league.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #16590: Feb 16, 2018 11:02:00 am

You'd gain a lot more respect if you admit when you F**k up a bit Riba. I do think you get picked on a bit on this forum but I also think you make it tough on yourself.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #16591: Feb 16, 2018 11:52:02 am
      Thing is if you have a front 3 like ours then sometimes less is more from the full backs. They dont have to be high and wide, up and down for the full 90 and can pick their moments.

With Robbo at LB their is more natural discipline as to when to support and when to stay back and leave the front three too it.

That makes us more solid in itself as well as the introduction of VVD who is all of a sudden bossing the game now and looking like the presence we needed.

Karius in goal has ultimately proven to be  a better fit than Mignolet and all of a sudden we have a certain element of control to go alongside the full throttle forward play.

The midfield 3 whoever they are have always been quite solid, so at the moment we are on to a good thing.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16592: Feb 16, 2018 12:00:03 pm
      You'd gain a lot more respect if you admit when you f**k up a bit Riba. I do think you get picked on a bit on this forum but I also think you make it tough on yourself.
      I think i said that because I got the Arsenal result mistaken. We drew Arsenal in December but it was August we beat them. However, Scotia argument that we had a good December is flawed because it's a matter of perspective.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #16593: Feb 16, 2018 12:03:17 pm
      5-0. Champions League quarter finals. It feels so good.

I still have my membership card with all the UCL matches I've been to this season, so if we manage to reach the semifinals, I'll definitely try and travel for it. Oh my god. Just to think of Anfield on a UCL semifinal again. Goosebumps. Please make it happen Jürgen.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16594: Feb 16, 2018 12:04:45 pm
      Those two draws were against West Brom and Everton, to me it was a below par month, then you look January we got knocked out FA cup and beat by Swansea, February has been a good month.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #16595: Feb 16, 2018 12:09:10 pm
      Klopp has been a good manager this February
      So he's been a good manager for the 3 matches from the 4th to the 14th Feb.  Okay then  :mad:
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #16596: Feb 16, 2018 12:15:49 pm
      Those two draws were against West Brom and Everton, to me it was a below par month, then you look January we got knocked out FA cup and beat by Swansea, February has been a good month.
      We played 8 matches in Dec (so plenty of rotation required) won 6, drew 2, scored 27 and conceded 6.  If you consider that to be a below par month, you're utterly deluded as to where you believe we are!!
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #16597: Feb 16, 2018 12:16:52 pm
      You'd gain a lot more respect if you admit when you f**k up a bit Riba. I do think you get picked on a bit on this forum but I also think you make it tough on yourself.

Wait wait wait ...touché.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #16598: Feb 16, 2018 12:19:42 pm
      Those two draws were against West Brom and Everton. It was not a great month, then you look January we got knocked out FA cup and beat by Swansea, February has been a good month.

Ribs - you’re digging to justify.

It was a good month and part of a very good run.

2nd - Brighton 1 Liverpool 5
      6th - Liverpool 7 Spartak 0
      10th - Liverpool 1 Everton 1
      13th - Liverpool 0 WBA 0
      17th - B/mouth 0 Liverpool 4
      22nd - Arsenal 3 Liverpool 3
      26th - Liverpool 5 Swansea 0
      30th - Liverpool 2 Leicester 1

18 points outta 24 over a crowded Xmas including Champs League qualification IS a good month.

Yes February has started well and we are getting better.....

If you don’t see that or can’t accept because you’re too busy defending the indefensible then I can’t help you my friend.......

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16599: Feb 16, 2018 12:20:22 pm
      Dadorius. You're just one of the posters that can't debate anything. It's beyond you to perform a critical analysis. You sure know how to write one liners, swear and make unfunny jokes. That's about it as far as intelligence goes. Scotia  puts forward an argument and I respect that.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16600: Feb 16, 2018 12:24:36 pm

13th - Liverpool 0 WBA 0

18 points outta 24 over a crowded Xmas including Champs League qualification IS a good month.

If you don’t see that or can’t accept because you’re too busy defending the indefensible then I can’t help you my friend.......
      I'm actually optimistic. I think we have as good chance as any team of winning champions league, I think we'll finish in the top four. I agree about February and I have high expectations of Klopp, perhaps too high at times. I am a lot happier with Klopp now he's dropped Mignolet.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #16601: Feb 16, 2018 12:25:53 pm
      I'm actually optimistic. I think we have as good chance as any team of winning champions league, I think we'll finish in the top four. I agree about February and I have high expectations of Klopp, perhaps too high at times. I am a lot happier with Klopp now he's dropped Mignolet.

👍
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #16602: Feb 16, 2018 12:42:07 pm
      Dadorius. You're just one of the posters that can't debate anything. It's beyond you to perform a critical analysis. You sure know how to write one liners, swear and make unfunny jokes. That's about it as far as intelligence goes. Scotia  puts forward an argument and I respect that.
      Your not worth the time and effort.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Reply #16603: Feb 16, 2018 01:00:17 pm
      Quote from Ribapuru

Not only are your facts wrong, your argument is all over the place, then you go and contradict yourself. It's so stupid, it's hilarious. Unlike you, I haven't forgotten December. Or November. Or January. Or even August. And here are some alternative facts, only this time they're actually right.

35 points from 48 since last international break.
      Winners, yes winners of our European Cup group, first time in 9 years. Imagine that.
      Third in the league table.
      Transfer record smashed for the third time in 6 months.
      Cup derby won. Beat Manchester City on the way.
      Goalkeeper changed for you.
      Salah breaking all sorts of records.
      93 goals scored in all competitions so far this season.
      European Cup quarter finals reached, 90 minutes early.

No we haven't won any trophies yet, nor has anyone else.  If that's all you want though, there are other clubs out there waiting to take you on board. Almost everyone else, even neutrals, can see the direction we're going in.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #16604: Feb 16, 2018 01:11:43 pm

Oh dear I don't think you've completely grasped the meaning of that word.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16605: Feb 16, 2018 01:12:07 pm

13th - Liverpool 0 WBA 0

Do you know what, I'm at a complete loss as to what he's getting at now.

All over the place.

Quick Reply