Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1561956 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #4508: Feb 09, 2016 05:46:27 pm
      Wasn't their preseason short because it was more of a publicity tour than a preseason, I can't exactly remember now but didn't they have a game in the US foUr days or something before their first game back here?

My memory's probably letting me down again.

No idea of the circumstances Exiled just that it was well publicised that he'd taken it especially easy on them and given them most of the pre-season off. How that came about I can't say I follow Chelsea close enough to know but something rings a bell about the US tour you mention.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4509: Feb 09, 2016 05:52:33 pm
      No idea of the circumstances Exiled just that it was well publicised that he'd taken it especially easy on them and given them most of the pre-season off. How that came about I can't say I follow Chelsea close enough to know but something rings a bell about the US tour you mention.

It also happened with Spurs. They played in the same tournament as Chelsea right before the season started.
      Kopite78
      Reply #4510: Feb 09, 2016 05:53:12 pm

The point is that he has overtrained the players - pushing them harder in preseason would have left us with exactly the same fixture list and demands on them resulting in more injuries - as predicted by a number of coaches a couple of months ago and as evidenced by the spate of hamstrings his squad got in his first season at Dortmund.

It's hard to say that with 100% certainty.

It's fairly well thought that he isn't getting much time on the training field with them due to the amount of games we are playing, if we are playing every 3-4 days then the day after the game will be a warm down, day two will be a session, maybe a double, the day before the next game will be a light session and tactical work.
      Maybe the alteration in approach added to the amount of games has brought this issue on as it did in his first season with Dortmund but his second season there and beyond he didn't have the same amount of those injuries once his players were used to his methods and approaches to games.
      With a pre season where he can tailor their work, where the games aren't the same intensity and players don't play in them all its more likely he can get them where he wants rather than land in the middle of a season into a very dence schedule of games.

It's a perfect storm.

I'd expect his second season and beyond like at Dortmund that there is far less an issue with these muscle injuries.

It's not ideal but like at his previous club he has a long term vision which may have some bumpy parts along the way early on.
      We need in my opinion to let him work and get his long term strategy in place, I'd rather we have a long term plan in place and he stick to it rather than a short term vision that by its nature has to change again and again.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #4511: Feb 09, 2016 05:56:48 pm
      Man City could have gotten 125.5 Mahrez's for the money they paid for Sterling.

This is not meant to reflect poorly on Sterling, it's meant to indicate just how absolutely crazy transfer deals can be.

The likes of Man City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, and ourselves will never uncover the likes of Mahrez or Vardy. Nor should we. None of the supporters have the patience, none of the clubs have the patience, and the players will never be given a free pass 2 years of sh*te performances. You can take most transfers and compare them to Mahrez and they won't look very good because of the season he is having.
      Kopite78
      Reply #4512: Feb 09, 2016 06:07:53 pm
      The likes of Man City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, and ourselves will never uncover the likes of Mahrez or Vardy. Nor should we. None of the supporters have the patience, none of the clubs have the patience, and the players will never be given a free pass 2 years of sh*te performances. You can take most transfers and compare them to Mahrez and they won't look very good because of the season he is having.

You're bang on here mate.

It's fanciful to think the big clubs can make these signings.
      As you say the fans would in the most part would kick off, but also the pressure on the player is intensified 100 times over, the expectation to succeed and hit the ground running, the need to perform 9 games out of 10 rather than having 3 or 4 good games in 10 at the smaller clubs.
      Also the selling clubs in the first place, their eyes light up when a Liverpool or Utd or whoever come in and the rocket the price.

Going from the French second division to Leicester is completely different to the French second division to a top club in so many ways.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4513: Feb 09, 2016 06:25:09 pm
      You back? Enjoy your holiday?  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

I don't understand your post - you are clearly goading - but I will humour you.

The point is that he has overtrained the players - pushing them harder in preseason would have left us with exactly the same fixture list and demands on them resulting in more injuries - as predicted by a number of coaches a couple of months ago and as evidenced by the spate of hamstrings his squad got in his first season at Dortmund.

I'm happy to discuss footballing things but am not getting drawn into your tedious bickering. Now, can we expect a sensible reply or will you have to go on the naughty-step again?

:lmao:

Drivel.
      Wasn't it your three month holiday ?
      Another poster got it right.  G--w The F--k U-         

Read my dots.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #4514: Feb 09, 2016 06:55:31 pm
      What's the point in him recalling Ward if he's going to continue selecting Mignolet? He's the worst keeper in the league, the worst keeper to ever pull on a Liverpool shirt but Klopp refuses to drop him? He can't even set up a wall properly, never mind any other basic stuff. What the hell does Ward have to do in order to get a game? I have more faith in Klopp to be a success than most managers but on this serious questions need to be asked.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #4515: Feb 09, 2016 06:58:34 pm
      What's the point in him recalling Ward if he's going to continue selecting Mignolet? He's the worst keeper in the league, the worst keeper to ever pull on a Liverpool shirt but Klopp refuses to drop him? He can't even set up a wall properly, never mind any other basic stuff. What the hell does Ward have to do in order to get a game? I have more faith in Klopp to be a success than most managers but on this serious questions need to be asked.

I hear you, I really do.

I thought the same about Bogdan though and having not seen Ward play I can't comment, Debs said he was much better than usual in the U21s though so I'll go off that for now.

I would say the point appears to be to upgrade our number 2 spot more than our number 1 spot right now, or perhaps he's still in the assessment phase.

One final point would be that Klopp did actually suggest that Achterberg selects who will start in goal, read into that what you will, just things that could have a bearing on the matter.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #4516: Feb 09, 2016 10:25:34 pm
      Absolutely losing my patience with Klopp now, no need to take Tex off, leave Ibe and Benteke on while Milner rots on the bench. Either he has no idea who his best players are or he doesn't care about FA cup. I am not cool with either.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4517: Feb 09, 2016 10:32:02 pm
      Absolutely losing my patience with Klopp now, no need to take both Tex and Coutinho off, leave Ibe and Benteke on while Milner rots on the bench. Either he has no idea who his best players are or he doesn't care about FA cup. I am not cool with either.

Come off it and give your head a wobble for christ sake, Coutinho has been out injured for a quite a while now, the last thing we can do is risk him. I don't think it was the wrong decision to take him off at all. I'm more worried that after the money we've spent, our weakened line up still can't beat a weakened West Ham line up.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #4518: Feb 09, 2016 10:43:12 pm
      Absolutely losing my patience with Klopp now, no need to take Tex off, leave Ibe and Benteke on while Milner rots on the bench. Either he has no idea who his best players are or he doesn't care about FA cup. I am not cool with either.

You've lost your patience with him after a few months? Jesus. Milner did come on, by the way, and he's F***ing sh*te. He's also only got a limited number of subs.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #4519: Feb 09, 2016 10:58:51 pm

Go to bed soft lad and you wonder why you get abuse. You are a typical Sky generation football fan.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4520: Feb 09, 2016 10:59:26 pm
      We love you Jürgen, we do. We love you Jürgen, we do. We love you Jürgen, we do. Ooohhh Jürgen we love you!!! ;D

That should piss a few off :D
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #4521: Feb 09, 2016 11:00:37 pm
      I am entitled to be pissed off with a poor starting lineup and poor choice of subs. Ibe and Benteke didn't both need to stay on. It cost us today.

why are you entitled ?
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #4522: Feb 09, 2016 11:03:44 pm
      This match is one we should have won easily. A good striker who gets in the box, penetrates the last lines of defence, and pushing them deeper and deeper until, bam, we get a goal - easy win. But we have Benteke, who is terrified of boxes, and refuses to go in them, instead lumbering on the edge of the area while defenders have a joyride with nobody in the box. We would have won if we had a decent defence and keeper too. Enough about the keeper, everything has been said to the point we are all blue in the face, but a makeshift defence was bound to make a mistake like this, it was just cruel irony that it was Lucas who committed the foul when everything else he did was peerless. But all defenders and goalkeepers we have bought seem more terrified of crosses than Dracula so, again, it was almost inevitable we would lose out to a set piece and cross. So so typical, to the point I've become resigned every f**king time I see this now.

BUT, I am not blaming Klopp. He set his team up well, and as a result we played well - but the front line of defence and the very last line of defence let us down again.

The real culprits for such 'daylight robbery' that constantly is occurring with Liverpool FC now are actually the personnel sitting over across the Atlantic in their big mansions and the evasive and mysterious transfer committee. Why?

- IF we had a decent recruitment strategy, would we really be dealing with a makeshift defence in which Lucas was a centre back. Fine, he comes in to give real centre backs a rest - but it's not as if they are putting in much better performances than Lucas at centre back.... who isn't even a centre back. Says it all really....

- IF we had a decent recruitment strategy, would we really be complaining every single time about how Mignolet is dropping us points? Rodgers originally wanted a sweeper keeper, which brainless cretin scouted Mignolet? Because he came with dirt cheap wages  the usual tight arsed FSG strategy? Well he plays like he's on dirt cheap wages.

- IF we had a decent recruitment strategy, we wouldn't still be hankering for a Suarez replacement, despite it nearly being two bloody years since he left. IF we hadn't been so tight arsed and incompetent in the summer 2014, we would have gathered a swift replacement - replace like for like, buy Sanchez or a similar rated player no matter what the cost was, put him on a very high wage instead of lowballing time and time again. By which that strategy gave us Balo-f***in-telli. And because they fu**ed up so bad, they didn't have a leg to stand on last summer, so Rodgers got his way..... and Rodgers wasn't any better. Because now we are stuck with a lumbering mess of a striker called Benteke.

The chickens are really coming home to roost this year with regards to FSG's increasingly disastrous ownership of Liverpool FC. Their tight arsed lowball sh*te 'moneyball' strategy had been a cataclysmic failure of epic proportions which now sees us as mid table also rans. Not to mention the personnel they hire up stairs to run the club are just as bad as the sh*te players they recommend to us. Ian F***ing Ayre? What a daft tw*t this man is - he almost put Huddersfield Town out of business when he was in charge, yes, they went into administration. Now the sleazy money grabbing b***ard is wielding a destructive influence at Liverpool. The transfer committee? Oh my god, if people really think simple low league experienced cretins like Barry Hunter, Dave Fallow and Mike Edwards know a quality player when they see one, then there is no hope for the club. The committee is made up of guys who got Rushden & Diamond relegated from the Football League, scouted for Blackburn and Portsmouth in the Championship and, to top it off, is headed by FSG's residential American 'soccer' expert Mike Gordon - which is the equivalent of saying Joey Essex is The Only Way Is Essex's resident expert on microeconomics.

And just to rub salt in the wounds, these bas**rds want to rob us of our good money to watch their f**k up of a great institution.

I love Klopp, and I will give him all the time in the world he needs to succeed. Because let's face it, he's a rare piece of gold in a pile of sh*t that has come out the backside of FSG. All I can say is that my support for him is tenfold increased in such a context, and best of luck to the guy, we are all right behind him. He certainly needs all the support - because I'm not having the manager scapegoated for the owner's massive failings.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #4523: Feb 09, 2016 11:04:06 pm
      One thing that I am concerned about is that, by now, we should have learnt how to defend a F***ing set-piece.

And I'm sorry but that falls on Klopp since learning how to defend a set-piece is a matter of basic organisation that the players learn then drill over and over again till they get it right. It is not advanced-level football and our achilles heel so it should be a priority to get sorted.

We are restricting teams with shots-on-goal so defending set-pieces should be the next key focus - it's not like we are working pn scintillating attacking play. When Coutinho, Sturridge and Firmino are in the team their individual quality massively improves our attack so starting from the next training session we should be concentrating on one thing only.

Other teams know it - West Ham were practically salivating when they won that free kick.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #4524: Feb 10, 2016 12:07:05 am
      This match is one we should have won easily. A good striker who gets in the box, penetrates the last lines of defence, and pushing them deeper and deeper until, bam, we get a goal - easy win. But we have Benteke, who is terrified of boxes, and refuses to go in them, instead lumbering on the edge of the area while defenders have a joyride with nobody in the box. We would have won if we had a decent defence and keeper too. Enough about the keeper, everything has been said to the point we are all blue in the face, but a makeshift defence was bound to make a mistake like this, it was just cruel irony that it was Lucas who committed the foul when everything else he did was peerless. But all defenders and goalkeepers we have bought seem more terrified of crosses than Dracula so, again, it was almost inevitable we would lose out to a set piece and cross. So so typical, to the point I've become resigned every f**king time I see this now.

BUT, I am not blaming Klopp. He set his team up well, and as a result we played well - but the front line of defence and the very last line of defence let us down again.

The real culprits for such 'daylight robbery' that constantly is occurring with Liverpool FC now are actually the personnel sitting over across the Atlantic in their big mansions and the evasive and mysterious transfer committee. Why?

- IF we had a decent recruitment strategy, would we really be dealing with a makeshift defence in which Lucas was a centre back. Fine, he comes in to give real centre backs a rest - but it's not as if they are putting in much better performances than Lucas at centre back.... who isn't even a centre back. Says it all really....

- IF we had a decent recruitment strategy, would we really be complaining every single time about how Mignolet is dropping us points? Rodgers originally wanted a sweeper keeper, which brainless cretin scouted Mignolet? Because he came with dirt cheap wages  the usual tight arsed FSG strategy? Well he plays like he's on dirt cheap wages.

- IF we had a decent recruitment strategy, we wouldn't still be hankering for a Suarez replacement, despite it nearly being two bloody years since he left. IF we hadn't been so tight arsed and incompetent in the summer 2014, we would have gathered a swift replacement - replace like for like, buy Sanchez or a similar rated player no matter what the cost was, put him on a very high wage instead of lowballing time and time again. By which that strategy gave us Balo-f***in-telli. And because they fu**ed up so bad, they didn't have a leg to stand on last summer, so Rodgers got his way..... and Rodgers wasn't any better. Because now we are stuck with a lumbering mess of a striker called Benteke.

The chickens are really coming home to roost this year with regards to FSG's increasingly disastrous ownership of Liverpool FC. Their tight arsed lowball sh*te 'moneyball' strategy had been a cataclysmic failure of epic proportions which now sees us as mid table also rans. Not to mention the personnel they hire up stairs to run the club are just as bad as the sh*te players they recommend to us. Ian F***ing Ayre? What a daft tw*t this man is - he almost put Huddersfield Town out of business when he was in charge, yes, they went into administration. Now the sleazy money grabbing b***ard is wielding a destructive influence at Liverpool. The transfer committee? Oh my god, if people really think simple low league experienced cretins like Barry Hunter, Dave Fallow and Mike Edwards know a quality player when they see one, then there is no hope for the club. The committee is made up of guys who got Rushden & Diamond relegated from the Football League, scouted for Blackburn and Portsmouth in the Championship and, to top it off, is headed by FSG's residential American 'soccer' expert Mike Gordon - which is the equivalent of saying Joey Essex is The Only Way Is Essex's resident expert on microeconomics.

And just to rub salt in the wounds, these bas**rds want to rob us of our good money to watch their f**k up of a great institution.

I love Klopp, and I will give him all the time in the world he needs to succeed. Because let's face it, he's a rare piece of gold in a pile of sh*t that has come out the backside of FSG. All I can say is that my support for him is tenfold increased in such a context, and best of luck to the guy, we are all right behind him. He certainly needs all the support - because I'm not having the manager scapegoated for the owner's massive failings.

You can blame a lot of things on FSG.......blaming them for this loss is stretching it a bit.

If we would have won 6 nil Klopp would be a tactical genius and FSG would not of been mentioned... Lose and its all FSG's fault.

Blame them for a poor transfer strategy, not investing enough or raising ticket prices....we may not have the quality to win the league but we have more than enough to beat the team we played tonight.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #4525: Feb 10, 2016 12:25:27 am
      You can blame a lot of things on FSG.......blaming them for this loss is stretching it a bit.

If we would have won 6 nil Klopp would be a tactical genius and FSG would not of been mentioned... Lose and its all FSG's fault.

Blame them for a poor transfer strategy, not investing enough or raising ticket prices....we may not have the quality to win the league but we have more than enough to beat the team we played tonight.

I think many of us have made up our minds on too many of these players - they are, quite simply, not good enough.

I've always said the rot starts from the top - if FSG don't think there's a problem with their recruitment strategy then we are screwed for the foreseeable future.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #4526: Feb 10, 2016 12:36:52 am
      I think many of us have made up our minds on too many of these players - they are, quite simply, not good enough.

I've always said the rot starts from the top - if FSG don't think there's a problem with their recruitment strategy then we are screwed for the foreseeable future.

Again I don't disagree but pound for pound they are better than the team we lost to tonight....4th highest net spend the past 5 years and 5th highest wages in the premiership...none of that adds up to losing to West Ham.

What does add up is the 2nd highest injury minutes lost in the league, the most minutes played in Europe and a manager that has not had a chance to really implement much because his team is either on recovery day, travel day or playing.

Again plenty of blame to go around....sometimes its not as black/white as you seem to make.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4527: Feb 10, 2016 12:42:49 am
      West Ham   2   -   0   LiverpoolEPL

Stoke   0   -   1   LiverpoolLGC

Exeter   2   -   2   LiverpoolFAC

Liverpool   3   -   3   ArsenalEPL

Liverpool   0   -   1   Man UtdEPL

Liverpool   3   -   0   ExeterFAC

Norwich   4   -   5   LiverpoolEPL

Liverpool   0   -   1   StokeLGC

Liverpool   0   -   0   West HamFAC

Leicester   2   -   0   LiverpoolEPL

Liverpool   2   -   2   SunderlandEPL

West Ham   2   -   1   Liverpool

---

3 wins from 12 since the turn of the year. Win-less after four games against the likes of Stoke, West Ham, Leicester and Sunderland.

I don't care how people want to dress that up, that is sh*t and quite simply it isn't good enough.

But hey, we got a point from a top four team!  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #4528: Feb 10, 2016 04:47:17 am
      Again I don't disagree but pound for pound they are better than the team we lost to tonight....4th highest net spend the past 5 years and 5th highest wages in the premiership...none of that adds up to losing to West Ham.

What does add up is the 2nd highest injury minutes lost in the league, the most minutes played in Europe and a manager that has not had a chance to really implement much because his team is either on recovery day, travel day or playing.

Again plenty of blame to go around....sometimes its not as black/white as you seem to make.

And it's not even as though it's the first time we lost to them this season.

Whatever people think of the players you're right to say our level is higher than West Ham.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #4529: Feb 10, 2016 05:26:06 am
      Thought Klopp got the substitutes wrong last night

Fair enough, like someone said, he had to take Coutinho off because he's been out for so long. But to take off Tex who in my opinion was have a good game and having 3 attackers up front, that changed our shape and we stumbled a bit from them on in. Basically, going with 3 attacking forwards but taking off two of our most creative players was the wrong move. It cancelled itself out.

Still, as was pointed out above, another set piece we fail to deal with has ultimately cost us.

That said, I thought we played really well in the first half, and West Ham were lucky to go in 1-0 up.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #4530: Feb 10, 2016 06:01:33 am
      West Ham   2   -   0   LiverpoolEPL

Stoke   0   -   1   LiverpoolLGC

Exeter   2   -   2   LiverpoolFAC

Liverpool   3   -   3   ArsenalEPL

Liverpool   0   -   1   Man UtdEPL

Liverpool   3   -   0   ExeterFAC

Norwich   4   -   5   LiverpoolEPL

Liverpool   0   -   1   StokeLGC

Liverpool   0   -   0   West HamFAC

Leicester   2   -   0   LiverpoolEPL

Liverpool   2   -   2   SunderlandEPL

West Ham   2   -   1   Liverpool

---

3 wins from 12 since the turn of the year. Win-less after four games against the likes of Stoke, West Ham, Leicester and Sunderland.

I don't care how people want to dress that up, that is sh*t and quite simply it isn't good enough.

But hey, we got a point from a top four team!  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Yeah it's not good enough we all know that.

What would you like to see happen? We sack Klopp ...bet your misearable self and whoever the git is that plused you will disappear quietely once Firmino, Coutinho, Sturridge and Origi are firing.

Quick Reply