Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1528602 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #14306: Oct 08, 2017 10:04:12 pm
      Lovren - Only playing because we couldn't get VvD
      Can - Only playing because we couldn't get Keita

Looking at some more players from under TPM, and carrying on some if, buts and maybe's ...

Coutinho - likely only playing until end of the season, would leave massive hole, currently winning a chunk of our points almost single-handed
      Sakho - potential first starter, sold
      Lucas - defensive cover, sold
      Sturridge - kept, but 'not really played'
      Gomez - can argue not progressed
      Hendo - remains captain which I've no problem with given alternatives
      Origi - possible best striking cover sold? can argue
      Can - better than Gino imho
      Allen - sold - argue again on par with Gino, deffo better than Grujic
      Clyne - imho still our first choice RB
      Milner - makeshift FB which worked for a period of time

Not trying to run down Jürgen, some things have improved absolutely ... just think the story is more mixed ...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #14307: Oct 08, 2017 10:39:11 pm
      Looking at some more players from under TPM, and carrying on some if, buts and maybe's ...

Coutinho - likely only playing until end of the season, would leave massive hole, currently winning a chunk of our points almost single-handed

Not trying to run down Jürgen, some things have improved absolutely ... just think the story is more mixed ...

I'll go through your list:

Coutinho - Was held onto when we're told we're a selling club, at the prices they were quoted £100m+ then that was quite a statement in anyone's book.

Sakho - Yep, he'd have been a starter in my book too but you have to give Jürgen this one if you're fair. We've done to death the discussion about how many times he's broken disciplinary rules, so if you want to hang this on Jürgen's head then that's your prerogative but to me he had way more than his 3 strikes.

Lucas - I actually think this is a mistake by Jürgen but if you listened to him and Lucas this was purely down to first team game time and would anyone really be happy (even me as one of Lucas' biggest fans wouldn't be happy with him being a first teamer) had he been given a starting role. So it was clear he was only going to be here for cover and I suspect that wasn't enough for Lucas at this stage in his career. It seemed to me this discussion was a similar one to those he'd had with Lucas previously and it basically came down to "I'll respect your wishes, thanks for staying on". Now not replacing him, sure, that's an issue.

Surely we're not still doing this, he isn't the same player. The mistake side of this argument would fall more on not selling him and getting in an Aubameyang or Dybala (name your favourite striker basically, within reason).

Jürgen rated him when he arrived and he's had a torrid time with injuries, I think expecting any progress compared to when Jürgen arrived is a bit harsh when he's had to deal with the injuries he's had. I suspect Jürgen will persevere with this lad for longer than most as he had big plans for him it seemed.

A player which divides opinion. I'll leave this one there as even with assessment I'm still not sure I'll be satisfied with the conclusion from either perspective.

Disagree completely. I really think the Origi of the end of last season benefited most from those around him, as a compliment to others he wasn't and I know people tend to judge strikers only on goals scored he just didn't tick hardly any boxes. So much so if he were kept I'd have had him staying at LW this season, not a loss to the strikers, Solanke will be far, far better.

Maybe so, not convinced by either right now. One of them is only playing because Lallana is out though so that has to be taken into perspective.

This one is very similar to Lucas imo. I'd like to have him here right now, but would I have been happy with him being a starter, probably not. I think that was the issue between him and Jürgen and at that time Jürgen had Gini/Hendo/Can/Lucas for the midfield spot, I really don't think he saw Allen ahead of any of those. In that respect he is more likely right, but I know wee Joe has the odd great game which gets far more coverage than his many ordinary which of course makes him look better than he is. Is he better than Gini/Can/Hendo, unlikely, is he good enough to be our starting player going forward, absolutely not.

Possibly, not sure why this is such an issue with Trent and Gomez coming through behind him.

Worked for a while, but I don't think he fully came to grips with the positional sense and his attacking play, especially crosses, let him and us down. Coming to the end of his career now and a decent pro but just lacking that bit of quality. I do like his role off the bench for us though, much like Sturridge I think Milner's lack of pace is hidden well there and often when he comes on his industry and effort turn into more meaningful work because he's able to impose his game on the play more.

Really don't know how much of this is running Jürgen down if I'm honest. Every decision seems to make sense when judged at the time it was made, which is all any of us can do.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #14308: Oct 09, 2017 02:02:42 am

Yes he will leave a massive hole but it'll be filled by somebody else, like it was when he had his "sore" back. Just to throw it out there, he's played six games this season - we've won one of them. The six games without him, we won four. So the massive hole, may not actually be that massive. I think when he's here, we tend to look for him to be the saviour. But when he's not, others step up in place of him.

Isn't a major loss in my opinion. Even if he was starting, it would be the same as Lovren. He'd just be filling a gap until we can get Van Dijk. And he looked his best in a Liverpool shirt alongside Lovren, while Lovren looked his best alongside Sakho. So if he was still here, there's a good chance it'd be Matip missing out.

Right time for him to go. He got his ten years, so he'll get his testimonial - which will have a belting atmosphere at Anfield when it does happen. He wanted first team footy, he wasn't going to get that here. If he was here now, he'd be doing the Milner role of coming off the bench to sure things up for the last ten minutes or so.

After his performance against Newcastle, it's no surprise he isn't playing that often. He's clearly not the player he was a couple of years ago. We were lucky to get him at his best, it's just his best was two thirds of a season rather than one full one. Now he's a squad player at best, which for our best forward is a crying shame of how far we've slipped at the top end of the pitch.

He's comfortably progressed since the day he signed. He looked assured at left back when he first broke into the team, now he looks even better. He's still inexperienced as a footballer, and especially at this level, so he's bound to have the odd iffy game here and there but to say he hasn't progressed is totally unjustified in my opinion.

And so he should remain captain. Wasn't there a clip from Klopp once saying how Henderson was the only player who ever did everything Klopp wanted him to do on the pitch? I might have completely made that up by the way. Either way, Jordan Henderson should remain our captain until there is somebody capable of taking the armband off him in the same way Sami Hyypia was our captain until Gerrard was ready to step up.

The fact that he's being considered our best striking cover, just reiterates my point on Sturridge about how far our striking options have fell. I'll be totally honest though, him leaving (if only on loan) was the best piece of business we did all summer. He's F***ing useless and having him as far away from Anfield as possible is a good thing in my opinion.

If he is, it's only marginal and neither are good enough for this club in it's current state. Wijnaldum could be in a different role, alongside somebody who does the creative work while he does the donkey work. Can never will be. Far too selfish to be in a side that focuses so heavily on a team game.

Again, he's no major loss. And I don't recall too many tears of sadness when he left. Tears of joy maybe. Had a handful of decent performances at the end of his Liverpool career when Klopp played him slightly further forward but that's about it. At the current level, he'd either be back in the middle of the park alongside Henderson, which he proved he wasn't good enough to do. Or he'd be sat on the bench because there's no way he's displacing Coutinho as the furthest forward central midfielder.

Has gone backwards ever since he joined. Far too comfortable with no competition for his place, now we've got Arnold and Gomez vying for the spot, means Clyne will have to pick his form up or find a new club.

Not good enough as a full back or as a central midfielder. A poor buy at the time and even worse that he's on the verge of a hundred games for the club.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #14309: Oct 09, 2017 09:48:39 am

You know when the discourse starts to look at TPM manager virtually 3 seasons on, we've hit a bit of a bliiip.

That said, I'll play along.

Mignolet: As it turns out, a fail signing by TPM and fail by Klopp to offer him a new contract and continue him as number one when his own replacement has failed to oust him. Fail.

Coutinho: A good signing by TPM. A player in terms of quality this current squad desperately lacks. I can only think of Mane coming close enough in terms of production.

Moreno: Thought he looked good initially. Remember the goal against Spurs? Then his form dipped. Looked surplus to requirements under Klopp. Has come back apparently as Maldini incarnate - but really  is practically still the same player he was a year ago. He was a fail signing but now Klopp manages him he's Maldani. Work that one out after being frozen completely out of the team for a year behind Milner. For him to show improvement he needs to show he can do that job better than a right footed midfielder this season.

Lovren: Ultimately, a poor signing by TPM. Too many individual brain-farts have confirmed this for me - at times he's a walking disaster. However, like with the entirety of our defence I don't think this system and team mates suit him. Him and his defensive team mates have been left over-exposed to the elements of an attacking system. Apparently systems cannot be tweaked which therefore means Lovren's gotta go. But still makes Jürgen's team, pain killers and all. Fail on both managers.

Sakho: A good signing by TPM. Definately no worse than where we are now with CB. May have attitude problems. No problem, get rid. Problem is, he has never been replaced or upgraded upon and no matter how you look at it that is a massive fail on Jürgen's part.

Lucas: Rafa signing used by most managers. Shipped out under Klopp with no replacement either for like 4 like, or versatility. Another fail for Klopp IMO.

Sturridge: Fantastic signing like Coutinho in the same impossible window. Admittedly needing to modify his game slightly these days, but due to a lack of opportunity we'll never really know whether he can do that here. Seems to be a bit part player chewing up massive wages. Again, it's a fail now under Jürgen, he should have been sold in that case and a replacement brought in.

Gomez: Don't want to judge this one, jury is still out for me. Needs time.

Henderson: Signed by Kenny. Played by Rodgers. Played by Klopp. I have no qualms in saying that contrary to all those experts with all that information I don't rate him enough. Forget Souness & Gerrard, Henderson is no McMahon, Houghton or Whelan. A nice honest worker with limited ability, similarly to Mignolet can be carried by team mates but ultimately not good enough if we're being frank. Have noticed to how his performances have been bigged up recently, the ulterior motive here being another premature feather in the cap of a narrative to add to the growing list of players signed/or worked under TPM who are now improving out of all recognition under Klopp. And again, in this instance it's bollock. Like Moreno, Henderson is not going to turn into something he isn't over night because of a Klopp hug.

Origi: Poor signing by TPM. Good work by Jürgen in moving this docile plod along.

Can: Signed by TPM? He's so hit and miss this fella still to this day. Apparently Klopp wanted him, and due to the amount of game time he's been getting it appears Klopp is trying to twist his arm to stay. But Emre appears to be having none of it - in that case Emre don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Lallana: Another good signing by the TPM. It did appear Klopp was getting more out of him in the #8 role before he got injured and it did look exciting watching him in that position.

Milner: For me was a very good signing by TPM. Top pro. Experienced. Used as a square peg last year in a round hole - being the pro he is, did his job to the best of his abilities. Still important in the camp, even if his appearances are becoming limited.

Firmino: A feather in the cap for Klopp this one. Overrated in many quarters but has his uses.

Allen: Welsh Xavi! Similar to Gini. Neat & tidy player. But ultimately a fail signing unless he's a regular bench warmer supplementing better players. Don't blame Klopp for moving him on but his own Gini is being questioned; Gini - the new Allen?

But have a look at these midfielders:- Hendo, Can, Gini, Allen. Over all, they just ooze mediocrity more than superiority don't they.

Clyne: This player has recently been ridiculed in some quarters as the coming of Trent was imminent. Unfortunately those prophecies have yet to eventuate and Clyne is still by a country mile our best RB in the squad. Has sorely been missed and it has showed. Problem with him, is he is very limited in attack - which is a conundrum; although a defensive bit of nous is sorely being missed at the moment. He knows when to go forward, and tracks back well by reading the game, better than any full back in our team. Good signing by TPM, and it seems Klopp likes this "machine" to.

-----

As you say bmck. A bit of a mixed dish.
      « Last Edit: Oct 09, 2017 10:37:06 am by Beerbelly »
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #14310: Oct 09, 2017 12:02:27 pm
      After watching the last two England games, where England played just like Liverpool,mostly sideways and back in midfield,  I wonder whether the problem for both teams is henderson. We need a dynamic play making midfielder, which I'm afraid he isn't. Love the guy for his effort but afraid that isn't enough. If and when Lallana comes back make him skipper.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #14311: Oct 09, 2017 02:34:09 pm
      After watching the last two England games, where England played just like Liverpool,mostly sideways and back in midfield,  I wonder whether the problem for both teams is henderson. We need a dynamic play making midfielder, which I'm afraid he isn't. Love the guy for his effort but afraid that isn't enough. If and when Lallana comes back make him skipper.

Hmmm ok so IF we agree that Hendo IS the problem for Liverpool AND England.......then do we also also agree THIS is the Jürgen Klopp thread......?

Just sayin’........... :f_tongueincheek:
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,148 posts | 258 
      Reply #14312: Oct 09, 2017 03:14:47 pm
      Can anyone tell me what is the above TPM stand for ?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #14313: Oct 09, 2017 03:15:43 pm

Ten Past Midnight.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #14314: Oct 09, 2017 03:44:45 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll:  :mad: :mad: :mad:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #14315: Oct 09, 2017 03:57:22 pm

The Previous Manager
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #14316: Oct 09, 2017 05:18:30 pm
      Saw the comments belly,luke,dls - interesting stuff ... agree with some ... but in all fairnes, I don't expect when when we discuss opinions of individual players that any of us will completely match up.

Anyways, my main point was that I think signings have been mixed (some v good, some not so much),  that we haven't made enough signings, and that once Coutinho goes he leaves a hole I can't see anyone on our current planA list of targets filling.
      (I'm hoping the Catalans get independence, Barca are then dumped out of the Spanish league, and Phil won't won't to go and whack local Catalan sides 20-0 week in week out) ;)
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #14317: Oct 09, 2017 06:32:12 pm

I sussed that one long ago, now I'm trying to figure out what TL;DR is :D
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,417 posts | 3413 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #14318: Oct 09, 2017 07:27:00 pm

Thought it meant Toilet Paper Mache
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,417 posts | 3413 
      Reply #14319: Oct 09, 2017 07:28:25 pm

Too Lazy Drink Rainwater
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #14320: Oct 09, 2017 07:29:01 pm

Yeah that was a mystery to me too I must admit. I did ask, but to no avail. I must say, all these acronyms do my head in  :lmao:.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,417 posts | 3413 
      Reply #14321: Oct 09, 2017 07:38:39 pm
      Yeah that was a mystery to me too I must admit. I did ask, but to no avail. I must say, all these acronyms do my head in  :lmao:.

Especially that AOC one
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #14322: Oct 09, 2017 07:44:13 pm
      Too.
      Long.
      Didn't.
      Read.

I think..
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #14323: Oct 09, 2017 10:07:34 pm
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #14324: Oct 09, 2017 10:11:09 pm
      Too.
      Long.
      Didn't.
      Read.

I think..

And there was I believe that i achieved some notoriety TL;DR (The Lunatic; Donavan Ried)  :f_tongueincheek:
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,148 posts | 258 
      Reply #14325: Oct 10, 2017 05:47:51 am

I spent almost whole night trying to figure out wtf this 'Ten Past Midnight' is, still can't find a clue, and why people laughing about it?

So I think this might be close to what TPM meaning on the football forum, thanks heimdall mate :D

Ha ha that TL;DR has it's fair result if search by Google mate but, the F***ing TPM :mad:

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #14326: Oct 10, 2017 09:11:57 am
      TL;DR my son tells me is “too long, didn’t read” - which did make me smile.

I like a good read now and again and I certainly welcome information/ challenge.

There are occasions though when cutting and pasteing passes for insight when what it really needs is a good editor.

TL;DR.......made me smile that :)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #14327: Oct 10, 2017 09:23:12 am
      In that particular instance where it was originally written, TDTO;DR would have been more accurate, (too difficult to answer, didn't reply).
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #14328: Oct 10, 2017 09:32:06 am
      In that particular instance where it was originally written, TDTO;DR would have been more accurate, (too difficult to answer, didn't reply).

You know I don’t even recall where it popped up Mick......though ftr ;) you’re not the first name that would’ve sprung to mind.

It’s just that across a few threads recently I’ve clicked in and straight back out when I saw another cut and paste  masterpiece or weighty, self congratulatory virtual tome.

Each to their own I guess.

Quick Reply