Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1528499 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #14329: Oct 10, 2017 09:44:46 am
      You know I don’t even recall where it popped up Mick......thought you’re not the first name that sprung to mind for sure ;).

It’s just that across a few threads recently I’ve clicked in and straight back out when I saw another cut and paste  masterpiece or weighty, self congratulatory virtual tome.

Each to their own I guess.

That's the bit that winds me up, the holier than thou "we know more than you" slant to a lot of the posts. Take the Jürgen situation as a perfect example. I'm all for keeping him, think he's doing an incredibly difficult job pretty well. I DO though understand some fans getting a bit jumpy, because when you strip all the bullsh!t and backflicks aside, we aren't improving overly quickly relative to the other teams who have aspirations of winning the league. It's only natural that some fans are starting to get a little impatient, and although I personally don't agree with them they don't need to be lectured that "everyone who knows anything knows it takes X amount of years blah blah blah" or "go back and watch it again blah blah blah" or "if you look at how many touches of the ball in the opposition penalty area we've had and divide it by the number of uncontested overhead kicks blah blah blah" or that "Jürgen throughout his career has never signed a ginger haired player, go and study his methods" and other such bollocks.

You can't even talk about a defensive midfielder without somebody trying to lecture you that they are "actually playing a classic number 6 role and taking up the cantilever spot in a zonal defensive 435674 formation (originally patented by Arigo Saatchi)". Talk about teams defending deep or parking the bus and you get told it's a "low block" these days. Similarly, ideas that a centre forward really ought to consider sticking it in the onion bag from time to time are dismissed as Neanderthal leanings of dinosaur times English football fans. It's all bollocks.

Two other things. Some of us older f*****s don't cut and past because we don't know how to do it ;D.

One positive though. I had a lad in the pub last night who's a Southampton season ticket holder. Lovely fella, had a long conversation with him about his dislike for all things Liverpool because we keep nicking their players (understandable) and talked to him about some of their current crop. He absolutely was in raptures about VVD, best centre half he's ever seen down there he reckons (for them or anyone else). Says the form of the whole team has suffered without him and insisted he was worth whatever we were prepared to pay for him, absolutely loved by the fans still too by all accounts.   

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14330: Oct 10, 2017 12:57:02 pm
      In that particular instance where it was originally written, TDTO;DR would have been more accurate, (too difficult to answer, didn't reply).

Looking at the bright side of things, it at least forced him to take a break from the forum. After ">50 years in the midst of this sport", he deserved it.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #14331: Oct 10, 2017 12:59:42 pm
      Looking at the bright side of things, it at least forced him to take a break from the forum. After ">50 years in the midst of this sport", he deserved it.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #14332: Oct 10, 2017 01:02:56 pm

:D

Watch him swing back in here next week craving the spotlight and come out with some more outlandish bs.
      « Last Edit: Oct 10, 2017 01:12:57 pm by Beerbelly »
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #14333: Oct 10, 2017 01:12:12 pm
      Two other things. Some of us older f*****s don't cut and past because we don't know how to do it ;D.

Do you know how many phones I went through before I realized that you cut and paste  with the cursor and not a butchers knife and paste brush, do you...??  :f_tongueincheek:

The main reason that I cut and paste is that i tend to go off on one and write 300 words without addressing more that one point...

There art supporters here that have supported Liverpool longer, and short than i have, and I would never dream of trying to tell them how to support their team, or claiming that because i have supported them longer than they have i know what is best...

Like your attitude 'mick
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #14334: Oct 10, 2017 01:15:04 pm
      :D

Watch him swing back in here next week craving the spotlight and come out with some more outlandish bs.
      Definitely loves the spotlight that one  ;D
      « Last Edit: Oct 10, 2017 02:02:34 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #14335: Oct 10, 2017 01:35:38 pm
      That's the bit that winds me up, the holier than thou "we know more than you" slant to a lot of the posts.......

........One positive though. I had a lad in the pub last night who's a Southampton season ticket holder. Lovely fella, had a long conversation with him about his dislike for all things Liverpool because we keep nicking their players (understandable) and talked to him about some of their current crop. He absolutely was in raptures about VVD, best centre half he's ever seen down there he reckons (for them or anyone else). Says the form of the whole team has suffered without him and insisted he was worth whatever we were prepared to pay for him, absolutely loved by the fans still too by all accounts.   

On the former Mick - as lacking in self awareness as it may read - I blame t’internet. Too many “super-coaches” who’ve read everything and watched every video they can find and understood little or nowt about applying it. They think football is 2 dimensional.

On the latter I’ve said a few times that I watched a fair bit of him at Celtic (wife’s ticket and went with the older lad for about a season when his Granda was ill).

He is a very very rare combo. An extremely talented footballer, terrific athlete and has that genuine defensive instinct we discussed (with others) a few weeks ago.

I’m not saying there aren’t other CBs that would improve us......but I genuinely think he is close to being a one-off at the moment......yes THAT good.

I get why Klopp chose to stick - I would’ve twisted personally - but I do get it.
      « Last Edit: Oct 10, 2017 01:42:00 pm by Scotia »
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #14336: Oct 10, 2017 02:14:56 pm
      TL;DR my son tells me is “too long, didn’t read” - which did make me smile.

I like a good read now and again and I certainly welcome information/ challenge.

There are occasions though when cutting and pasteing passes for insight when what it really needs is a good editor.

TL;DR.......made me smile that :)

Hmmm ok so IF we agree that TD;LR means too long to read, then do we also also agree THIS is the Jürgen Klopp thread......?

Just sayin’........... :f_tongueincheek:
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #14337: Oct 10, 2017 02:23:06 pm
      Hmmm ok so IF we agree that TD;LR means too long to read, then do we also also agree THIS is the Jürgen Klopp thread......?

Just sayin’........... :f_tongueincheek:

Ha ha.....you wanna play?

That was in several preceding posts in this thread fella - I merely provided a definition......unlike your post which landed here and referred to Henderson dragging down LFC and Engerland.

Just sayin’  :f_tongueincheek:

Your go ;)

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #14338: Oct 10, 2017 03:54:18 pm
      https://twitter.com/LFC/status/917759550106808320

If only some of them could play as good as they looked. Smartness does not equate to quality clearly!
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #14339: Oct 10, 2017 04:04:33 pm
      Hmmm,ya know when ya put a bit of polish on ya old banger to get it to sell......
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #14340: Oct 10, 2017 05:44:09 pm
      Ha ha.....you wanna play?

That was in several preceding posts in this thread fella - I merely provided a definition......unlike your post which landed here and referred to Henderson dragging down LFC and Engerland.

Just sayin’  :f_tongueincheek:

Your go  ;)

Sure, the previous four posts to mine were discussing the attributes of different players, and they all mentioned Henderson..:f_tongueincheek:

Your go  ;)
      « Last Edit: Oct 10, 2017 05:55:36 pm by Fourbrick »
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #14341: Oct 10, 2017 05:56:35 pm

Remember the white suits final?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #14342: Oct 10, 2017 06:11:48 pm
      https://twitter.com/LFC/status/917759550106808320

If only some of them could play as good as they looked. Smartness does not equate to quality clearly!

Shame we don’t put the same effort into the transfer market as we do getting sponsorship/commercial deals.
      Too much time filming Nivea adverts and Hugo Boss photo shoots and not enough time on the training ground
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #14343: Oct 10, 2017 06:17:50 pm
      Thought it meant Toilet Paper Mache

The nickname for our team defence?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #14344: Oct 10, 2017 06:18:52 pm
      Sure, the previous four posts to mine were discussing the attributes of different players, and they all mentioned Henderson..:f_tongueincheek:

Your go  ;)

Fair dos........it still had no place in the Klopp thread though - clearly.

The Hendo bashing is boring, that’s all.....and it was thoroughly misplaced in here. There a whole thread dedicated to that......

BUT

On reflection though - it was originally - intended as a throwaway bit of gentle ribbing indicating frustration at that trend rather than a pop at your character.

So I’m out - you win, you da man 😎

« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2017 09:11:30 pm by Scotia »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,416 posts | 3409 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #14345: Oct 10, 2017 06:37:03 pm
      The nickname for our team defence?

Just as strong and reliable
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #14346: Oct 11, 2017 07:44:24 am
      Just real quick.

If you use TPM in a non-ironic way because you refuse to say Brendan Rogers, you're a petty knuckle head.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #14347: Oct 11, 2017 12:29:54 pm
      I'm sure I saw a 1957 one of them on 'American Pickers' 🤔
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #14348: Oct 11, 2017 01:04:55 pm
      Just real quick.

If you use TPM in a non-ironic way because you refuse to say Brendan Rogers, you're a petty knuckle head.

Must admit when I read that I did think - “I bet the Barrowlands in Glasgow has seen a few of ‘em over the years!”
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #14349: Oct 11, 2017 11:12:47 pm
      Any chance Jürgen will get the tactics right against  a maureen park the bus, route one footy ?
      And if its not going well, will he change things, tactically or personnel wise, before the 85th minute ?

HMMMM    ???   Just a thought.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #14350: Oct 11, 2017 11:34:37 pm

Not bad, but I'd take a panhead on a chopped frame over it 7 days a week. ;)
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #14351: Oct 12, 2017 07:01:26 am
      Why Liverpool are conceding too many big chances this season and why it matters

Liverpool take the initiative in games but opponents know now that they will always cough up golden chances in games because of their poor defence - and the statistics prove it

The last time Liverpool played at home, before they host Manchester United this Saturday, was when Burnley came to Anfield on 16 September. It felt like Burnley might be on a hiding to nothing: they only took seven away points in the 2016-17 season, the second worst record in the division. And Liverpool, in their last home league game, had beaten Arsenal 4-0.

But Burnley went to Anfield with confidence and a plan. The players knew that whatever happened in the game, at one point the Liverpool defence would switch off, especially if some pressure was applied against them. When that happened, Burnley would be presented with a golden chance, not a marginal one. They just had to take it.

Sure enough Liverpool dominated the match, but the first time Burnley went forward they scored. They hit a diagonal which Robbie Brady beat Trent Alexander-Arnold to. Chris Wood won the second ball, as Ragnar Klavan charged towards him and Joel Matip. That left a huge space in the box and a simple finish for Scott Arfield. Liverpool soon equalised and continued to batter Burnley, eventually racking up 35 shots. But Burnley had their goal and they nearly even got a second, as Ben Mee’s late header was cleared off the line.

It was a hugely frustrating afternoon but not an atypical one. There was a similar story on 1 October at St James’ Park when Liverpool again dominated the game but drew 1-1. Again, the one chance they gave up, this time to Joselu, was a golden one, with the Liverpool defenders desperately far apart. He took it and Liverpool drew again.

Those two games teach a lesson, a lesson that bodes ill for Liverpool’s game with United. For a team that plays on the front foot and likes to take the initiative, Liverpool concede far too many big chances. Teams know about Liverpool’s initial press, but as Burnley and Newcastle showed, once the initial press is beaten, Liverpool’s defending in their own half is so bad that there will always be big gaps and big chances.

This is borne out by the numbers. At first glance Liverpool are defending well, having conceded just 59 shots this season, the second least in that league. Only City – 45 shots – have allowed fewer, according to Opta.

But that is only a fraction of the story. What matters more is how many shots on target a team faces, which points towards the quality of chances that Liverpool are giving away. Liverpool have conceded 31 shots on target this season, the joint-sixth most in the league. Only Everton, Bournemouth, Swansea, Leicester City and Crystal Palace have allowed more.

So a ratio of shots on target to shots conceded puts Liverpool bottom by miles. 0.53 of the shots against them are on target, more than double the 0.21 figure of the miserly and expert Tottenham and Burnley defences. Or to put it in expected goals terms, Liverpool’s expected goals against (9.42) is more than twice as bad as their nominal title rivals Manchester City (3.71) and Spurs (4.41). And having conceded 12 so far – only West Ham and Leicester have conceded more – they cannot claim bad luck.

Liverpool have proven that they can be electric on their day, as they were against Arsenal. But their defence is so bad that teams can be confident of scoring against them with almost any attacks. There are some teams, like last season’s Chelsea, who are solid defensively that opponents are forced to shoot from distance out of desperation. Liverpool are the opposite, with opponents just trying to get into the final third when they know things will open up. And then when the big chances do come, Liverpool do not have an elite goalkeeper like David De Gea or Hugo Lloris to make those low-percentage reaction saves.

When Burnley drew at Anfield their players recognised how nervous the home crowd got whenever Liverpool had to defend, and the collective holding of breath, in contrast to the more relaxed atmosphere at the homes of the other big sides. But the Liverpool fans are right to get anxious with their defence, knowing that when United come to Anfield on Saturday they will take advantage of any big opening.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-vs-manchester-united-conceding-too-many-big-chances-this-season-Jürgen-klopp-a7995301.html

No mincing with numbers trying to make it all wishy washy and positive - this is objective; no agenda from the author - simply a clear and concise view backed up by statistics that corroborates what our eye's have seen so far this season.

Quick Reply