Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1526306 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #15226: Dec 18, 2017 05:36:35 pm

It's nice to finally get to the point we can look back and laugh!
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #15227: Dec 18, 2017 05:46:53 pm
      So true mate, I've found it relatively amusing seeing the highs and lows people have hit when personally I've always been supremely confident he'll get it spot on.

Now City are going to prove to be a lot harder nut to crack under Guardiola, he's earned my respect a bit in transforming them into the most formidable side I've seen in the prem era. That wont detract what  I think Jürgen is building here and has been doing since the moment he got here.

If people are 100% honest with themselves, look back at what he took over, player for player and compare the options we have now with the money spent and they can be nothing but astonished at the job he's doing.

When he took over we had very little talent to speak of, certainly those that were being played.

Now we have:

Firmino - Easily one of the best players in the league, I still think he's underrated by our fans.

Salah - Obviously one of the best players in the league but interesting to compare Firmino's shot accuracy and conversion rate, but that's for another day.

Mane - Another top player.

Coutinho - Clearly progressed under Jürgen, now much more consistent.

Lallana - Came on leaps and bounds under Jürgen.

Keita - One of the best in the world.

Lallana - I put him in as on the end of last season's form he was one of the best in the league in his position, huge improvement.

That's 7 players I would rank right up there with the best in this division in their current position, I personally would include Matip but I know many wouldn't so I'll not even add him. Gomez is on his way there too at a quick rate of progression now he's put his injuries behind him.

There's so many reasons to be positive about our club right now that you'd be nuts to think of changing but still it wasn't long ago that there were calls to do just that, I don't understand it but each to their own.

Agree mate 100%!

Although, is Adam that good that he counts as two players?  :f_tongueincheek:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #15228: Dec 18, 2017 07:04:54 pm
      Agree mate 100%!

Although, is Adam that good that he counts as two players?  :f_tongueincheek:

:lmao:

Fair enough :D
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #15229: Dec 18, 2017 09:45:12 pm
      That actually is a very good measure of a team, but I agree that you need to include the stats about shots against you, I fear that would have us sliding down that table to perhaps 4th place ;-)

Any idea where to find that stat?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #15230: Dec 19, 2017 12:39:44 am
      It’s funny.

For all the ups and downs since Aug I think (more than ever) that we’re really close to a breakthrough......and that’s with so little investment in top-end quality AND with sub-par goalie / centre-backs in particular.

He’s got blind spots that drive me nuts sometimes but I genuinely believe we’re on the brink of something.....really progressing.

We're not far off. Still so many players we consider below par but we're still playing to a high level.

One of the best games of his reign, i think. We were near flawless and got opened up only once.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15231: Dec 19, 2017 04:54:10 pm
      It’s funny.

For all the ups and downs since Aug I think (more than ever) that we’re really close to a breakthrough......and that’s with so little investment in top-end quality AND with sub-par goalie / centre-backs in particular.

He’s got blind spots that drive me nuts sometimes but I genuinely believe we’re on the brink of something.....really progressing.

Me too.
      No one is perfect but as of today we are sitting fourth in the PL and in the last 16 of the CL.
      Even ....... with a sub  par goalie and bang average cbs.

Rather watch us playing as we are playing than a boring defensive team based on a Maureen template.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15232: Dec 19, 2017 04:58:24 pm
      So true mate, I've found it relatively amusing seeing the highs and lows people have hit when personally I've always been supremely confident he'll get it spot on.

Now City are going to prove to be a lot harder nut to crack under Guardiola, he's earned my respect a bit in transforming them into the most formidable side I've seen in the prem era. That wont detract what  I think Jürgen is building here and has been doing since the moment he got here.

If people are 100% honest with themselves, look back at what he took over, player for player and compare the options we have now with the money spent and they can be nothing but astonished at the job he's doing.

When he took over we had very little talent to speak of, certainly those that were being played.

Now we have:

Firmino - Easily one of the best players in the league, I still think he's underrated by our fans.

Salah - Obviously one of the best players in the league but interesting to compare Firmino's shot accuracy and conversion rate, but that's for another day.

Mane - Another top player.

Coutinho - Clearly progressed under Jürgen, now much more consistent.

Lallana - Came on leaps and bounds under Jürgen.

Keita - One of the best in the world.

Lallana - I put him in as on the end of last season's form he was one of the best in the league in his position, huge improvement.

That's 7 players I would rank right up there with the best in this division in their current position, I personally would include Matip but I know many wouldn't so I'll not even add him. Gomez is on his way there too at a quick rate of progression now he's put his injuries behind him.

There's so many reasons to be positive about our club right now that you'd be nuts to think of changing but still it wasn't long ago that there were calls to do just that, I don't understand it but each to their own.

Have to agree Luke.

Bobby?  He's like Lucas. There are people that for some reason just can't "get it".

In my book ..... he is first name on the team sheet .
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15233: Dec 20, 2017 11:43:27 am
      Any idea where to find that stat?

Try this:

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=league_shots

Interestingly we are second behind Citeh in Shots on target and shots on target against us(ie fewest number), but in terms of goals conceded we are way down in 6th so a broad assumption here could be the quality of goalkeeping/shot stopping being the difference unless the shots on target against us were somehow of a higher quality.

Basically put De Gea in goal for us and we'd be challenging Citeh so please Klopp for th elove of God break the F***ing bank and get us a top notch goalie.
      « Last Edit: Dec 20, 2017 11:51:37 am by heimdall »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15234: Dec 20, 2017 11:54:47 am
      Me too.
      No one is perfect but as of today we are sitting fourth in the PL and in the last 16 of the CL.
      Even ....... with a sub  par goalie and bang average cbs.

Rather watch us playing as we are playing than a boring defensive team based on a Maureen template.

Please see the post below, according to the stats we are second only to Citeh in stopping other teams having shots on target but we let in to many goals, ie not really a CB problem but a goalie problem, which I think we all knew.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #15235: Dec 20, 2017 12:54:06 pm
      20 more games left after the Bournemouth game and we're at 34 points now and requires 41 points out of a possible 60 points to earn a CL spot using 75 points as a benchmark.

Did some quick calculation and we will require the following results to accumulate 41 points :-

Combo  1  :   W  11  D  8  L 1

Combo  2  :   W  12  D  5  L 3

Combo 3   :   W  13  D  2  L 5

Anyone of the combos will give us 41 points.

Judging from our form in the first half of the season and assuming our form remains as what we are now, I would think we would probably hit Combo 2. 

Your thoughts please?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #15236: Dec 20, 2017 07:24:03 pm
      20 more games left after the Bournemouth game and we're at 34 points now and requires 41 points out of a possible 60 points to earn a CL spot using 75 points as a benchmark.

Did some quick calculation and we will require the following results to accumulate 41 points :-

Combo  1  :   W  11  D  8  L 1

Combo  2  :   W  12  D  5  L 3

Combo 3   :   W  13  D  2  L 5

Anyone of the combos will give us 41 points.

Judging from our form in the first half of the season and assuming our form remains as what we are now, I would think we would probably hit Combo 2. 

Your thoughts please?

Let's not go for combo 1 because I wouldn't fancy our chances against City and we'd likely slip up elsewhere too.

Ultimately, on our day we can beat anyone, the trouble with us though is inconsistency, as well as having Migs and Lovren, who will cost us more points this season.

All we can do is take it 1 game at a time.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #15237: Dec 20, 2017 10:09:31 pm
      We've only lost twice in the league, away at spurs and away at city.

I'd see combo 1 as most likely were not losing as often but we are struggling to break some teams down so some possible wins are becoming draws.

Either way it's going to be fun, we know were not catching city so go for it between now and Feb. See how it lies and go for a proper CL run
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,401 posts | 203 
      Reply #15238: Dec 23, 2017 08:50:39 am
      What a joke

Why doesn’t he fix the god damn obvious problems ?

Neville was spot on yesterday, the team can fool you into looking like they are good defending wise when against poor attacks

But when under pressure, they crumble and concede a bucket loads

Either klopp needs to fix the issues or get out. Simple, he’s done the hard part in solving the attack but refuses to buy quality defenders and a keeper

Fckn Hell

Watford, potentially spurs, Everton, arsenal and I am sure there are more

But the three draws above is 6 points out stupid ass back 5 cost is win simple errors
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #15239: Dec 23, 2017 09:11:09 am
      What a joke

Why doesn’t he fix the god damn obvious problems ?

Neville was spot on yesterday, the team can fool you into looking like they are good defending wise when against poor attacks

But when under pressure, they crumble and concede a bucket loads

Either klopp needs to fix the issues or get out. Simple, he’s done the hard part in solving the attack but refuses to buy quality defenders and a keeper

Fckn Hell

Watford, potentially spurs, Everton, arsenal and I am sure there are more

But the three draws above is 6 points out stupid ass back 5 cost is win simple errors
      Hmm your username doesn’t suit you.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #15240: Dec 23, 2017 11:30:16 am
      the trouble with us though is inconsistency, as well as having Migs and Lovren, who will cost us more points this season.

2 days, 2 bloody days before our game I said this. Then what happens, Migs showed us once again, what a useless sack of sh*t he is.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #15241: Dec 23, 2017 12:31:22 pm
      2 days, 2 bloody days before our game I said this. Then what happens, Migs showed us once again, what a useless sack of sh*t he is.

Yet the majority of our supporters who were saying he shouldn't be sold at the back end of last season  :roll:

Nonetheless, Klopp's position will become untenable if he once again this Summer, refuses to bring in new world class Goalkeeper and Centre Backs; and yes, plural because Lovren will be 29 in the Summer and if Gomez is to kick on and be the world class Centre Back we all believe him capable of being, he needs to develop alongside far higher talent than Joel Matip or Dejan Lovren.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,194 posts | 912 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #15242: Dec 23, 2017 01:07:55 pm
      Fix the problem ffs Klopp are you the only one who cant see it
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,723 posts | 566 
      Reply #15243: Dec 23, 2017 01:50:36 pm
      I dream of the day, we go 2/3 up and i dont immediatley start shitting myself.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #15244: Dec 23, 2017 02:05:06 pm
      Can't believe how blind he is with Mignolet. Even in his post match presser it sounds like he's shifting the blame onto our defence for the second goal.

Does he actually realise that a goalkeeper is there to save shots when the defence can't prevent a shot in on goal from the opposition?

It's astounding that someone who has got so many things right and has corrected so many faults refuses to recognise let alone correct the most obvious and destructive fault in our team. It's such an incredible act of denial that is all the more tragic when you consider just how horrid a player Mignolet is.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6353 
      Reply #15245: Dec 23, 2017 02:15:47 pm
      I can’t imagine that Klopp doesn’t reAlize what a liability Mignolet is, so the only thing I can think is that he’s not that impressed with Karius either and figures there’s no point in publically flogging either of them. Will be interesting to see if we go in for a keeper in January. I think actions (in the transfer market) will speak louder than words on how much Klopp rates his keeper options.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1644 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15246: Dec 23, 2017 02:24:58 pm
      I can’t imagine that Klopp doesn’t reAlize what a liability Mignolet is, so the only thing I can think is that he’s not that impressed with Karius either and figures there’s no point in publically flogging either of them. Will be interesting to see if we go in for a keeper in January. I think actions (in the transfer market) will speak louder than words on how much Klopp rates his keeper options.

Maybe, like with Moreno, he thinks he can turn him around. It's a mystery. His mistakes are so blatant, can't not see them.
      Says a lot about Karius, that Jürgen still doesn't give him a run.  Ward too.
      Can't see us going for a keeper in January, though you never know. And who would buy Simon anyway?!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6353 
      Reply #15247: Dec 23, 2017 02:27:26 pm
      Maybe, like with Moreno, he thinks he can turn him around. It's a mystery. His mistakes are so blatant, can't not see them.
      Says a lot about Karius, that Jürgen still doesn't give him a run.  Ward too.
      Can't see us going for a keeper in January, though you never know. And who would buy Simon anyway?!

I’d keep Simon as a backup, I think that’s really his level, but you are probably right, hard to get a a good keeper Mid season. Would have to be a good one that’s not getting enough game time.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1644 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15248: Dec 23, 2017 02:33:52 pm

Once we get someone better in, I'd keep the others, and get Simon on the first stagecoach out of Dodge pronto.
      Have had it with him.

Quick Reply