Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1526059 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,861 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #15663: Jan 09, 2018 02:38:07 pm
      I really do have to laugh at times reading the members who aren't happy with Klopp. I know if United lost Mourinho for what ever reason Klopp would be in my top 3 to replace him. He's most certainly sorted your front line out and granted its been extremely slow sorting the defence out (( probably no funds ))

I know all managers have their faults, especially Mourinho  :D but the only thing I can really knock Klopp for is putting weaken sides out in Cup matches. Those who knock him clearly can't read football too well. No doubt I'll get some abuse but hey ho! That's opinions.  ;D
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #15664: Jan 09, 2018 02:47:09 pm
      Oh come on now, those figures are hugely influenced by the very very recent sale of Coutinhio which the player forced through. If you take that and the VVD purchase out of the above equation then you end up with:

Players In: £146,300,000
      Players out: £113,050,000

So net purchases of £33,250,000

The fairer way to present the stats is to include the signing of Keita as this is a committed spend and the deal has been signed. Even with that factored it certainly demonstrates that Klopp (thus far) has been a DREAM MANAGER for FSG having managed to make progress on pitch whist spending relatively little in terms of net transfer spend. Lets not get too carried away with perceptions of the support FSG have given the manager. Kudos to them for signing off on big transfers such as Keita and VVD but at the same time don't get too carried away becaue both signings were made in the knowledge that Coutinho was being courted very strongly by Barca and there was a certain inevitability about his sale. FSG have always bought big after selling big, on this occasion you can argue it was the other way around but the net result is still the same in that we are virtually cost neutral in terms of transfer fees in/out.
      Scottbot

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #15665: Jan 09, 2018 02:49:31 pm
      I really do have to laugh at times reading the members who aren't happy with Klopp. I know if United lost Mourinho for what ever reason Klopp would be in my top 3 to replace him. He's most certainly sorted your front line out and granted its been extremely slow sorting the defence out (( probably no funds ))

I know all managers have their faults, especially Mourinho  :D but the only thing I can really knock Klopp for is putting weaken sides out in Cup matches. Those who knock him clearly can't read football too well. No doubt I'll get some abuse but hey ho! That's opinions.  ;D

To be fair it's a few isolated dickheads who usually get more air time & quotes than they should so it often feels like there is far more dissention than there actually is.
      Harrisimo

• 8,163 posts | 1383 
      Reply #15666: Jan 09, 2018 02:52:21 pm
      But you're merely guessing what you think MAY happen now he's gone! 

In the 17 match unbeaten spell we're on, Coutinho started 10 of them and we won 6, drew 4. 
      The 7 he hasn't started (so he's started little more than half the games in our best spell) we've won 6 and drawn 1, the draw being the fluke Everton match.

Incidentally, he started against Spurs in the 4-1 defeat, the match before this run.

Now I'm not suggesting for a moment we're a better team/squad without Coutinho, as he would obviously be in our strongest starting line up if he was still here, but all this talk of us falling apart without him is just mental!!!

Last 18 games for Liverpool, he's started 11 - Won 6   Drawn 4  lost  1
      Games not started - Won 6  Drawn 1

We'll do more than survive in the wake of Couthino.

Coutinho is dead, long live King Klopp!!

I never said we will fall apart, I said we are weaker now that Co has gone and we need to strengthen. If we don't in this window I think it will down to Salah staying fit and to carry on scoring, to keep us up there. Bear in mind he will get much more attention in the second half of the season.

I haven't turned against Klopp but if the owners turn off the money and Klopp doesn't demand investment in the squad then many will point the finger at him if we end up in the Europa league.
      Harrisimo

• 8,163 posts | 1383 
      Reply #15667: Jan 09, 2018 03:01:04 pm

I doubt anyone will abuse you. Having a pop at Klopp is fair game. He's the manager. I'm not to critical of him just yet but I find these types of posts annoying. Argue your corner rather than just blandly sweeping aside all who might disagree with Klopp.

And you say hey ho..that's opinion...but you've hardly given any in your post...!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #15668: Jan 09, 2018 03:20:39 pm
      It's a good list (but Solanke wasn't a free, was he?) and it does illustrate a point - that Klopp does good business in the transfer market. Look at those outs. Other than Phil, only Lucas was really involved in our squad during Klopp's time here. Benteke didn't fit Klopp's system and Skrtel was losing to Father Time. the rest were clearly excess.

On the incomings, Grujic is the only guy who hasn't really contributed to any success here - and not including Keita is smoke and mirrors. He's coming and we agreed a fee.

Is our purpose as a club to make profits through transfers, no. Is it a bad thing to have this kind of ledger that reflects the financial reality that we are not owned by oil sheikhs? Not a bad thing.

As others have said, let's see what they do in the continued work of building a title-winning side.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #15669: Jan 09, 2018 03:38:00 pm
      You might not like the idea, but I'm pretty sure the manager does. He prefers it and he has done it before. This is why his transfer dealings so far has been really good, even better than his predecessor.

What deals have we messed up under Klopp? He got all of his targets. Pulisic was an impossible target, he wasn't for sale and the player himself signed a new deal till 2020 last year when his old deal was going to expire this year. He could have rejected the new deal after LFC interest and joined us, but he didn't.

He's probably a better manager than I thought in this regard. I'm not sure about the figures but it definitely feels like that the number of signings this club has made since Klopp became manager has reduced in comparison to Rodgers. It seemed that we were buying anything and anyone under Rodgers that just bloated the squad without adding any quality to it. I don't know what was going on there between him and the transfer committee but since Klopp has come in it seems to have really shone that period in even worse light than we thought. Looking back it felt like a football version of Dale's Supermarket Sweep - just filling our trolly with trash in as quick a time as possible.

But Klopp has got it spot on in my opinion. The Van Dijk saga was strange in that we were all saying to ourselves 'why the f**k is there no alternative to this guy?' Perhaps there was but it's clear that Klopp remained adamant that he'd get his prime target 6 months later than settle for the second best option instantly. It's a thin line because when the VVD pursuit failed in the summer a lot of us (me included) thought that was that - we weren't ever going to sign him. He'd f**k off to Chelsea or Man City and we'd be a laughing stock - that could have still happened so the strategy does carry dangers. But at the very least he is showing care and precision rather than an attitude that just spends for the sake of spending, an attitude that is more important than ever when you consider that our net spending under FSG is not exactly special. Better to buy one or two quality players a window than 4 or 5 average players. If you look at Ferguson at Man Utd he'd incrementally add to his squad in the transfer windows with one or two top signings here and there. If you do the opposite then you obscure the vision and identity of the squad which is what ultimately did for Rodgers in the end.
      « Last Edit: Jan 09, 2018 04:00:33 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #15670: Jan 09, 2018 03:45:56 pm

That's exactly what I wrote to you Man Utd supporters when you guys were going all in on Moyes. ;)
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #15671: Jan 09, 2018 03:48:45 pm
      What deals have we messed up under Klopp? He got all of his targets. Pulisic was an impossible target, he wasn't for sale and the player himself signed a new deal till 2020 last year when his old deal was going to expire this year. He could have rejected the new deal after LFC interest and joined us, but he didn't.
      Just like to point out that Coutinho signed a new deal in January 2017
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #15672: Jan 09, 2018 03:56:23 pm
      He's probably a better manager than I thought in this regard. I'm not sure about the figures but it definitely feels like that the number of signings this club has made since Klopp became manager has reduced in comparison to Rodgers. It seemed that we were buying anything and anyone under Rodgers that just bloated the squad without adding any quality to it. I don't know what was going on there between him and the transfer committee but since Klopp has come in it seems to have really shone that period in even worse light than we thought. Looking back it felt like a football version of Dale's Supermarket Sweep - just filling our trolly with trash in as quick a time as possible.

But Klopp has got it spot on in my opinion. The Van Dijk saga was strange in that we were all saying to ourselves 'why the f**k is there no alternative to this guy?' Perhaps there was but it's clear that Klopp remained adamant that he'd get his prime target 6 months later than settle for the second best option instantly. It's a thin line because when the VVD pursuit failed in the summer a lot of us (me included) thought that was that - we weren't ever going to sign him. He'd f**k off to Chelsea or Man City and we'd be a laughing stock - that could have still happened so the strategy does carry dangers. But at the very least he is showing care and precision rather than an attitude that just spends for the sake of spending, an attitude that is more important than ever when you consider that our net spending under FSG is not exactly special. Better to buy one or two quality players a window than 4 or 5 average players. If you look at Ferguson at Man Utd he'd incrementally add to his squad in the transfer windows with one or two top signings here and there. If you do that then you obscure the vision and identity of the squad which is what ultimately did for Rodgers in the end.

Good post.

My view is that nothing in all of this is surprising Jürgen.

He knows what the perameters are he’s working under and - as much as we might all want him to have more money to spend - he backs himself to make the signings needed to get the job done.

End of.

One of the bits I like most about him is that absolute faith in his own abilities.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15673: Jan 09, 2018 04:00:10 pm
      if you are going to do that then there is no point in comparing anything?

Erm I'm just dialling it back to pre the January window, I'm sorry if that rather destroys your argument of the owners being evil incarnate.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #15674: Jan 09, 2018 04:00:54 pm
      I never said we will fall apart, I said we are weaker now that Co has gone and we need to strengthen. If we don't in this window I think it will down to Salah staying fit and to carry on scoring, to keep us up there. Bear in mind he will get much more attention in the second half of the season.

I haven't turned against Klopp but if the owners turn off the money and Klopp doesn't demand investment in the squad then many will point the finger at him if we end up in the Europa league.

I am not convinced Coutinho sale will have such a negative effect on us. Remember earlier in the season before he started playing we were scoring for fun, where we look bad was the goals we were shipping, and we have at least strengthened in that area with VVD and now have (Hopefully have) the money to strengthen in that area and midfield....

I don't think losing Coutinho is all doom and gloom
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #15675: Jan 09, 2018 04:03:16 pm
      Liverpool1990
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | 19 
      Reply #15676: Jan 09, 2018 08:22:42 pm
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #15677: Jan 09, 2018 08:40:03 pm
      Powerful image, will be salah next to madrid

Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #15678: Jan 09, 2018 10:03:29 pm
      Why would Salah look elsewhere? The guy has found his spiritual home at Anfield where he is in the best form of his life, I don't think for one second Salah has thoughts on moving to another club when he is part of building a strong legacy here..

I bet one year ago you could have written the very same lines about Coutinho. Mark my words: One call from Real and it starts all over. That's why you make contracts without release clauses...and then enforce them...except if you are Liverpool. Uh.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #15679: Jan 09, 2018 10:05:06 pm
      Flawed logic. The figure is heavily skewed by the Coutinho sale. You'll have to wait at least until end of January window, more likely end of summer window to see if that money is reinvested. Posting this a day after Coutinho sale is just bias.

Plus - of all the players Klopp sold above, Coutinho is the only one I, and a host of others here, wouldn't have agreed to sell and he was forced into it. Whereas looking at the players he has brought in, a good chunk are either firmly established starters and/or are excelling at the club - i.e. Mane, Salah, Robertson, VVD, Ox, Matip

So, not only is your logic that we are a selling club flawed, so is your questioning of Klopp's transfer dealings.

Every club is a selling club for the right price...

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #15680: Jan 09, 2018 10:08:02 pm

Every club is a selling club for the right price...

Only 2 clubs in world football wouldn’t have sold Coutinho for certain - City and PSG.

Ultimately every other club takes that deal - for a player who wants to go.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15681: Jan 09, 2018 10:37:05 pm
      Still think we had FSG money in the summer, but Jürgen didn't spend all available funds cause some guys he wanted, he couldn't get.
      Spun a story about how there's no CBs out there to improve us, then we spend 75mill on VVD. He waited to get his guy.
      Keita, even though he can't come this season, Jürgen was willing to wait a season to get his man.
      The way it looks, he's also waiting to get Lemar.
      No word on a GK yet, but would hope Jürgen - with a hill of cash - has, or is, identifying his man.
      Initially I was frustrated with how slow we were to sign players, given were told there was money available, but Jürgen's showing he gets there in the end.
      He's being patient, reckon we'll need to be to.

Ultimatums on Jürgen's future seem a bit previous. Who else would anyone want anyway? City and others wanted VVD - he came cause it was LFC,  AND it was Klopp. HE was a massive part of why the guy signed.   He has the potential to be a massive signing.
      Give the guy time.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #15682: Jan 09, 2018 10:50:58 pm
      Still think we had FSG money in the summer, but Jürgen didn't spend all available funds cause some guys he wanted, he couldn't get.
      Spun a story about how there's no CBs out there to improve us, then we spend 75mill on VVD. He waited to get his guy.
      Keita, even though he can't come this season, Jürgen was willing to wait a season to get his man.
      The way it looks, he's also waiting to get Lemar.
      No word on a GK yet, but would hope Jürgen - with a hill of cash - has, or is, identifying his man.
      Initially I was frustrated with how slow we were to sign players, given were told there was money available, but Jürgen's showing he gets there in the end.
      He's being patient, reckon we'll need to be to.

Ultimatums on Jürgen's future seem a bit previous. Who else would anyone want anyway? City and others wanted VVD - he came cause it was LFC,  AND it was Klopp. HE was a massive part of why the guy signed.   He has the potential to be a massive signing.
      Give the guy time.

As I said in the transfer thread, being patient is all well and good but we need to get the deals done now, if not necessarily the player through the door. We have a World Cup coming up, and any player that's of the quality we need is going to be attracting attention from both our domestic and European rivals if they have a good tournament, plus you can expect agents to be hiking up their wage demands and parent clubs their transfer fees. Then there's also the possibility of our not getting Champions League football next season, and as much as many of you refuse to consider that possibility, it nonetheless remains one until it's mathematically impossible.

If we get the players on Keita-like deals where we pay now, they join in the Summer, the Summer's business is done before the Summer even arrives. Consider also the benefits to training this has. No protracted transfer sagas, the player joins pre-season when the rest of the World Cup attendees return and Klopp can prepare them for the new season, while our rivals get bogged down in transfer negotiations and bidding wars. So as I said, patience is all very well but there is something to be said for pragmatism as well.
      Liverpool1990
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | 19 
      Reply #15683: Jan 10, 2018 08:29:18 am
      Only 2 clubs in world football wouldn’t have sold Coutinho for certain - City and PSG.

Ultimately every other club takes that deal - for a player who wants to go.

I do not think Utd would have, can only think of Ronaldo as one example where they have for a long time. With all respect they've not had many players worth wanting by the giants of football but still.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #15684: Jan 10, 2018 08:45:27 am
      I do not think Utd would have, can only think of Ronaldo as one example where they have for a long time. With all respect they've not had many players worth wanting by the giants of football but still.

I think they would.

They are a business first and foremost to the Glazers.
      Kopite78
      Reply #15685: Jan 10, 2018 09:03:28 am
      I think they would.

They are a business first and foremost to the Glazers.

De Gea wanted out. Probably still does but Real haven't come back in for him having messed it up about 3 years ago

So their two best foreign players In the recent times when money rules (ie we have money to bring them here in the first place) wanted out. One went. The other would if an offer came again

This is more an issue now more of the world's better players are in the league like never before.
      What utd did mainly was bring in players at the top of the game in this country where they saw a move to utd as a peak career move. Ie Rio, Rooney etc who didn't have the ambition (or intelligence) to move to another country

Quick Reply