Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1518636 times
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #15686: Jan 10, 2018 10:25:02 am
      As I said in the transfer thread, being patient is all well and good but we need to get the deals done now, if not necessarily the player through the door. We have a World Cup coming up, and any player that's of the quality we need is going to be attracting attention from both our domestic and European rivals if they have a good tournament, plus you can expect agents to be hiking up their wage demands and parent clubs their transfer fees. Then there's also the possibility of our not getting Champions League football next season, and as much as many of you refuse to consider that possibility, it nonetheless remains one until it's mathematically impossible.

If we get the players on Keita-like deals where we pay now, they join in the Summer, the Summer's business is done before the Summer even arrives. Consider also the benefits to training this has. No protracted transfer sagas, the player joins pre-season when the rest of the World Cup attendees return and Klopp can prepare them for the new season, while our rivals get bogged down in transfer negotiations and bidding wars. So as I said, patience is all very well but there is something to be said for pragmatism as well.

Don't think we're going to do any deals just because we've lost a player. Jürgen will do a deal if there's a player out there he wants. Otherwise, we might have to wait. Ideally we sign someone in Jan (at 35mill I'd try to get Sanchez) - but if we don't and then we happen to have a poor 2nd half of the season, I won't be sharpening a knife - reckon Jürgen will be here next season regardless.

Re. remainder of the season, Cou was a super player and he'll be missed, but he would have been out with thigh injury anyway for a number of weeks, and regardless of what I or anyone think about how good he was - the stats show we have won more points without him in the side than in. Can read as much or as little into that as anyone likes, debate the reason why it might be, but it is a facht.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #15687: Jan 10, 2018 12:12:27 pm
      But you're merely guessing what you think MAY happen now he's gone! 

In the 17 match unbeaten spell we're on, Coutinho started 10 of them and we won 6, drew 4. 
      The 7 he hasn't started (so he's started little more than half the games in our best spell) we've won 6 and drawn 1, the draw being the fluke Everton match.

Incidentally, he started against Spurs in the 4-1 defeat, the match before this run.

Now I'm not suggesting for a moment we're a better team/squad without Coutinho, as he would obviously be in our strongest starting line up if he was still here, but all this talk of us falling apart without him is just mental!!!

Last 18 games for Liverpool, he's started 11 - Won 6   Drawn 4  lost  1
      Games not started - Won 6  Drawn 1

We'll do more than survive in the wake of Couthino.

Coutinho is dead, long live King Klopp!!

I think it would be safe to assume that the points dropped this season are mainly due to the individual defensive blunders and not the brilliance in attack of one particular individual. I think removing the dependency on Coutinho, if ever there was one, was one of the reasons why Klopp didn't sell during the summer so that he can bed in the new signings, especially Chamberlain, considering the fact that his name cropped out of nowhere and the signing was completed within  a couple of days. I think it's a gamble Klopp would have taken, a choice between a very good player, albeit a dissident team member who was causing a lot of discord in the team and a team full of individuals committed to the cause.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't go for any other player in this window because he would take one more gamble of winning the FA Cup, qualifying for the CL and going till the semis in the CL with the same squad. If that gamble pays off, he would go all guns blazing for a goalie(Oblak/Becker?), Groetzka/Lemar?  and a MF in the summer (assuming there are no outgoings of a key player).
      « Last Edit: Jan 10, 2018 02:03:00 pm by redindian »
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #15688: Jan 10, 2018 01:01:48 pm
      Unbelievable really the crap this man has to put up with, after getting us top 4, out of the groups finishing top, beating the top seeds 7-0, getting a kind draw in the next round, safely in the top 4 today, kicking the neighbours out of the cup, 2nd lowest amount of defeats this season, challenging for 2nd spot, all the while playing wonderful football and scoring goals for fun.

Sure, we lost one player at the weekend who thought winning a hollow medal in a two team league, was more important than working and winning honours with one of the most revered coaches in world football. I know there are certain posters waiting in the long grass to strike on Sunday evening if we don't win, against a side we haven't lost at home in 15 years. If they flip after we draw, they'll go spare if we don't even manage that, reminding us how many points have been "lost from winning positions", as if it means something.

Either way, nothing will change. We are halfway through a 4 year project, and the train has left the station. Either get on board or go spin.
      Liverpool1990
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | 19 
      Reply #15689: Jan 10, 2018 01:08:38 pm
      Unbelievable really the crap this man has to put up with, after getting us top 4, out of the groups finishing top, beating the top seeds 7-0, getting a kind draw in the next round, safely in the top 4 today, kicking the neighbours out of the cup, 2nd lowest amount of defeats this season, challenging for 2nd spot, all the while playing wonderful football and scoring goals for fun.

Sure, we lost one player at the weekend who thought winning a hollow medal in a two team league, was more important than working and winning honours with one of the most revered coaches in world football. I know there are certain posters waiting in the long grass to strike on Sunday evening if we don't win, against a side we haven't lost at home in 15 years. If they flip after we draw, they'll go spare if we don't even manage that, reminding us how many points have been "lost from winning positions", as if it means something.

Either way, nothing will change. We are halfway through a 4 year project, and the train has left the station. Either get on board or go spin.

what was the aim of the 4 year project?
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #15690: Jan 10, 2018 01:28:00 pm

I personally do not abuse Klopp and I don't think many others do either. The whole point of so called modern media is to give fans a platform to air their views.

During the  majority of my time supporting this club, fans never had the chance to give their opinions to such a wide audience. They should, and for the most part they can, be able to speak their minds without these self righteous posts.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #15691: Jan 10, 2018 01:31:58 pm

The irony of this post is simply mind boggling.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,081 posts | 805 
      Reply #15692: Jan 10, 2018 02:48:11 pm
      He's probably a better manager than I thought in this regard. I'm not sure about the figures but it definitely feels like that the number of signings this club has made since Klopp became manager has reduced in comparison to Rodgers. It seemed that we were buying anything and anyone under Rodgers that just bloated the squad without adding any quality to it. I don't know what was going on there between him and the transfer committee but since Klopp has come in it seems to have really shone that period in even worse light than we thought. Looking back it felt like a football version of Dale's Supermarket Sweep - just filling our trolly with trash in as quick a time as possible.

But Klopp has got it spot on in my opinion. The Van Dijk saga was strange in that we were all saying to ourselves 'why the f**k is there no alternative to this guy?' Perhaps there was but it's clear that Klopp remained adamant that he'd get his prime target 6 months later than settle for the second best option instantly. It's a thin line because when the VVD pursuit failed in the summer a lot of us (me included) thought that was that - we weren't ever going to sign him. He'd f**k off to Chelsea or Man City and we'd be a laughing stock - that could have still happened so the strategy does carry dangers. But at the very least he is showing care and precision rather than an attitude that just spends for the sake of spending, an attitude that is more important than ever when you consider that our net spending under FSG is not exactly special. Better to buy one or two quality players a window than 4 or 5 average players. If you look at Ferguson at Man Utd he'd incrementally add to his squad in the transfer windows with one or two top signings here and there. If you do the opposite then you obscure the vision and identity of the squad which is what ultimately did for Rodgers in the end.

Great post mate,

may I add that it's frustrating to lose a good player but let's try to be rational here, circumstances are different now, Coutinho is not as influential as losing Suarez or Torres and yet Coutinho is the 2nd most expensive player in the world (Mbappe to overtake him this summer). Plus, we are not a one man team anymore we can rely on other players this time. I can understand fans needing to invest in players and worried that we won't, but so far we have invested wisely with Salah, Ox, VVD and Robertson have really improved us in areas we looked weak, thanks to Klopp of course. I think the problem before wasn't because we didn't replace good players, it was because we replaced them with quantity or average/decent players. We spent money buying Balotelli and Benteke to replace Suarez, or Andy Carroll to replace Torres. We spent more than 25m on f*cking Downing, who is clearly a 5m player. 20m on Markovic too!

us Fans we can talk about or moan about negative balance all we want, but that doesn't really matter when you sign the RIGHT players. We might not spend 96m on Lemar in the Summer, we might spend 30m or 35m on a good player though and Klopp has shown so far that he is capable of doing it with signings of Mane and Salah. To me those players look like 100m+ players, and if this isn't enough we have shown we can spend 75m to get a player like VVD. The reason we had Suarez and Torres leaving has nothing to do with FSG ''making a profit'', it has everything to do with our results in the past 8 years. Once you improve this (and we are big time with consistently challenging for top 4), big players won't leave.

We are being managed better, the manager got us to manage things better. There are now a lot of whispers of Klopp wanting to improve the team further with 3 of 4 good players, and he is happy to wait for the summer. We still look good for a CL spot this season, so I'm kind of feeling optimistic.

Moan all you want about ''FSG'' or ''net spend'' or ''making a profit'', it's irrelevant when we have a manager who is actually doing what we have all been arguing and asking since end of Rafa's tenure, which is spend money wisely and spend on quality.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #15693: Jan 10, 2018 08:58:59 pm
      Quote from Harrisimo
      During the  majority of my time supporting this club, fans never had the chance to give their opinions to such a wide audience. They should, and for the most part they can, be able to speak their minds.

That's fine. The problem is with posters who only show up after a poor result, or as much as a slip up. Look at the Arsenal game thread, and see the level of abuse Klopp got for going there and bringing us home a result.

I know that if we don't win on Sunday, the amount of posts will be double what it will be if we win, with the same arguments from the same suspects recycled once again.

Klopp said we would win a title in 4 years. I'm prepared to offer him that before I start coming to conclusions about him. In the meantime, he's here to get us top 4 spots, so we can offer a platform to big nights and better players, as is currently the case.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #15694: Jan 12, 2018 04:02:46 pm
      Wow  :mad:

Klopp just confirmed in the most direct way you can imagine in a PC that Coutinho would have held out in case no deal was made with Barca. So the little pr**k would have refused to play for us and we literally bent over. And Klopp just smiles it away as if it's no big deal. If you wanna know why LFC sucks for almost 27 years then this incident explains it in a nutshell: no sharpeness, no ambition, no toughness.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #15695: Jan 12, 2018 04:11:33 pm

Klopp just confirmed in the most direct way you can imagine in a PC that Coutinho would have held out in case no deal was made with Barca. So the little pr**k would have refused to play for us and we literally bent over. And Klopp just smiles it away as if it's no big deal. If you wanna know why LFC sucks for almost 27 years then this incident explains it in a nutshell: no sharpeness, no ambition, no toughness.

I appreciate the managers honesty. I was an advocate of forcing the lad to stay but if it was that clear that the player would not have played ball and become a genuine pain in the ass then it’s probably the right call at that price.

I think your anger is misplaced. It should probably be directed at the player.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #15696: Jan 12, 2018 05:07:44 pm
      The club didn't have the cojones make him stay until summer. Whilst I agree with Mr Shankly that any player who doesn't want to play for Liverpool should be booted, Coutinho would not have wanted to be sitting in the stand for the rest of the season, before the World Cup.

Lets just rename him Coutinwho.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #15697: Jan 12, 2018 05:35:13 pm
      I think your anger is misplaced. It should probably be directed at the player.

Of course, but on the other side those players are like children. Between advisors, clubs, money, media and women they often lose the plot. They need a strong hand, just like a child needs a father to guide him and spank him once in a while if it's necessary. In this case our child has found an "it's-all-positive-and-you're-so-cute" dad and acted accordingly...and succeeded. LFC or Klopp is to blame as much as Countinho.

Time will tell if LFC's decision was right, but the fact you'll almost never see this in any part of serious business, i.e. letting employees blackmail their employers, tells you to be pessimistic.

Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #15698: Jan 12, 2018 05:40:12 pm

If a united /any opposition fan said this,they'd more than likely get a f***in dig.The misplaced fake internet rage is weird  as F**k,grow up.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #15699: Jan 12, 2018 11:48:45 pm
      Of course, but on the other side those players are like children. Between advisors, clubs, money, media and women they often lose the plot. They need a strong hand, just like a child needs a father to guide him and spank him once in a while if it's necessary. In this case our child has found an "it's-all-positive-and-you're-so-cute" dad and acted accordingly...and succeeded. LFC or Klopp is to blame as much as Countinho.

Time will tell if LFC's decision was right, but the fact you'll almost never see this in any part of serious business, i.e. letting employees blackmail their employers, tells you to be pessimistic.

As much as I try to respect opinions, this really is beyond the pale. We owe Coutinho nothing. He gave 100% every game. We made a huge profit on him, if that money is not reinvested that is not Coutinho's fault obviously.

But if you can't put two critical and constructive sentences together regarding this club you should keep your vitriol to yourself.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #15700: Jan 13, 2018 01:20:54 am
      Have had my reservations about Herr Klopp at times but loving life under him just now more convinced than at any time in the last 10 years that we are on the right path and exciting times await  :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #15701: Jan 13, 2018 01:35:09 am
      Have had my reservations about Herr Klopp at times but loving life under him just now more convinced than at any time in the last 10 years that we are on the right path and exciting times await  :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:

The way I see it is, he took over a team shot of all confidence and spiraling to then take us to 2 cup finals that season. The following season he got us back into the top 4 and this season we are currently in the top 4 and the furthest we've been in the Champions League for 9(?) years, as well as having dumped the Bitters out the FA Cup so far.

Gone from signing the likes of Joe Allen to Naby Keita. Assaidi, Borini and Downing to Salah and Mane. Lovren to Van Dijk.

Sure we've lost the cup finals and Coutinho, but IMO, that's some pretty good progress and I'd much rather be in the position we are now than when Klopp first took over.

There's always going to be question marks over any manager, nobody is perfect and get everything right and Klopp is no different, but the positives far outweigh the negatives IMO.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15702: Jan 14, 2018 06:24:15 pm
      City haven't lost a game yet this season.
      We've just sold a super player.
      Would think if we'd lost today - and City were well capable of winning -  Jürgen would've come in for some criticism.

But Jürgen had the lads well prepared and well up for the game.
      Apart from Karius, wouldn't have a bad word to say about any of them, they all played super.
      Massive credit to the manager for putting all the sh*te behind us and winding the lads up for that one.
      Brilliant game and 3 points!!!
      This IS the man.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #15703: Jan 14, 2018 06:29:51 pm
      With the news of injury to VVD and Keita not coming in I was thinking 'here we go' - I thought we were set up for a right royal stinker from us. But no.

A lot of people said 'you can't play against Man City. You can only defend and hope for a lucky break' but today we took the game to City. We took on their game, we matched it and then bettered it. This wasn't a backs to the wall steal in the way Mourinho sets his team up (even against the likes of Everton).

That's what makes Klopp a great manager. He takes a team that on paper does not look half as good as City's and he sets them up and tells them that they are as good as them and to play football against them. Sometimes we criticise him for having too much faith in our players and then he proves me and others wrong by producing a match like this. Taking on the best team in Europe this season and not even a hint of cynical play. Not indulging in park the bus antics. Not indulging in spoiling tactics like diving, persistently fouling or time wasting. He is a saint to the sinners like Mourinho.

He is a f**king inspiration.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #15704: Jan 14, 2018 06:40:58 pm
      Would think if we'd lost today - and City were well capable of winning -  Jürgen would've come in for some criticism.

I think you could see why C. was so important and why it was a mistake to let him go now. Our pass accuracy was 76%, City's 86% plus we almost never could build up the game from our box, something City was capable of. We need a creative and ball-secure guy in the midfield and we haven't one till Keita arrives.

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,081 posts | 805 
      Reply #15705: Jan 14, 2018 06:42:29 pm
      With the news of injury to VVD and Keita not coming in I was thinking 'here we go' - I thought we were set up for a right royal stinker from us. But no.

A lot of people said 'you can't play against Man City. You can only defend and hope for a lucky break' but today we took the game to City. We took on their game, we matched it and then bettered it. This wasn't a backs to the wall steal in the way Mourinho sets his team up (even against the likes of Everton).

That's what makes Klopp a great manager. He takes a team that on paper does not look half as good as City's and he sets them up and tells them that they are as good as them and to play football against them. Sometimes we criticise him for having too much faith in our players and then he proves me and others wrong by producing a match like this. Taking on the best team in Europe this season and not even a hint of cynical play. Not indulging in park the bus antics. Not indulging in spoiling tactics like diving, persistently fouling or time wasting. He is a saint to the sinners like Mourinho.

He is a f**king inspiration.

:action-smiley-035: :action-smiley-035:

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,081 posts | 805 
      Reply #15706: Jan 14, 2018 06:44:34 pm
      I think you could see why C. was so important and why it was a mistake to let him go now. Our pass accuracy was 76%, City's 86% plus we almost never could build up the game from our box, something City was capable of. We need a creative and ball-secure guy in the midfield and we haven't one till Keita arrives.

Ah just shut the f_ck up
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15707: Jan 14, 2018 06:52:50 pm

The only stat that matters is 4-3 :)
      Against the runaway league leaders.
      You wanna moan about possession to try and make some point, go right ahead.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,081 posts | 805 
      Reply #15708: Jan 14, 2018 06:54:42 pm
      "You will find someone who wants to talk about defending, no clean sheet, but he can blow up my boots."

Jürgen Klopp, 14/01/2018

Quick Reply