Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1527838 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #15916: Jan 23, 2018 09:19:14 pm
      Exactly, our problems ain't down to one man etc.

It's more of a mindset problem.

Is it really down to mind set problems? Look at how we lost it when Alonso left? When Suarez left? Last 2 teams were practically built around those players, right? And with our current team, it was built for Coutinho to pull the strings?

I think the overall tone is but i do think we are going to struggle to break teams down again now with the loss of Coutinho.

You don't sell a player like Coutinho and get better so common sense alone dictates that goals could become harder to come by, especially when his place is filled with any of Ox, Can or Wijnaldum.

We might be more secure and better structured defensively but that wont amount for the 15 goals and assists that has now left the team.

FOAR has got it spot on, we will be weaker vs defensive teams, it's only logic, right? We lost one of the worlds best playmakers and from what I read, it comes across that some think he wouldn't have made the difference vs Swansea because of that West Brom match.... seriously :(

Every big team has a focal point, a hub player, and losing that hub player and not replacing him weakens the team drastically, right? Coutinho was our hub player and needs to be replaced, we can't just wait for Keita in the summer, look at how close  4, 5 and 6 positions are. Risky by Klopp.
      « Last Edit: Jan 23, 2018 09:27:01 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #15917: Jan 23, 2018 10:05:54 pm
      We seem play very slow pace against bottom teams Swansea he need change things we play these teams home or away look utd sh*t football but still get job done
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,524 posts | 1661 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15918: Jan 23, 2018 10:39:15 pm
      Plenty of matches over the years where the bus was parked and Countinho had no change for the fare to open the door.

Exactly.
      Had problems before Cou left, we struggle at times still.
      We were below par last night, pretty much everyone. Imho that was the main reason.
      Do also think though that Jürgen needs to 'go for it' more in situations like that (would be nice to start really seeing the benefits of substitutions)
      Disappointed to loose that one, but we'd had a very good run. No need to go overboard after a bad result.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6367 
      Reply #15919: Jan 23, 2018 10:43:21 pm
      Is it really down to mind set problems? Look at how we lost it when Alonso left? When Suarez left? Last 2 teams were practically built around those players, right? And with our current team, it was built for Coutinho to pull the strings?

FOAR has got it spot on, we will be weaker vs defensive teams, it's only logic, right? We lost one of the worlds best playmakers and from what I read, it comes across that some think he wouldn't have made the difference vs Swansea because of that West Brom match.... seriously :(

Every big team has a focal point, a hub player, and losing that hub player and not replacing him weakens the team drastically, right? Coutinho was our hub player and needs to be replaced, we can't just wait for Keita in the summer, look at how close  4, 5 and 6 positions are. Risky by Klopp.

I don't think he'd have made a difference because he typically struggled in games like that one where the other team pressures us like we like to pressure them. Unless Coutinho would have magically given us more width, I don't believe he'd have made a discernible difference.

Honestly think we'd have been better off to leave Ox on when we subbed Lallana and let him and Adam be creative and if I'd have been Jürgen, I'd have told Robertson and Gomez to get wider to open up the pitch for our  creative players.

Now I'm not a football coach, far from it so that may not have worked for dick or balls...but that's what I personally  saw with my unseasoned eyes.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #15920: Jan 23, 2018 10:45:53 pm
      Exactly.
      Had problems before Cou left, we struggle at times still.
      We were below par last night, pretty much everyone. Imho that was the main reason.
      Do also think though that Jürgen needs to 'go for it' more in situations like that (would be nice to start really seeing the benefits of substitutions)
      Disappointed to loose that one, but we'd had a very good run. No need to go overboard after a bad result.

Knowing they were going to park the bus and it was going to be difficult to break them down honestly could have started with Solanke & Ing in a 4-4-2/4-4-1 type of system and put trent in place of Gomez. Probably still would have ended the same way but you might of had Salah and Firmino coming on off the bench.

TAA     VVD   Matip  Robertson

Mane  Lallana  Can   AOC

Ings

Solanke

It's all hindsight but when you know they are going to park it sometimes it might be better to give them something different to think about.

Worst case it probably finished the same scoreline.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,524 posts | 1661 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15921: Jan 24, 2018 10:15:25 am
      Knowing they were going to park the bus and it was going to be difficult to break them down honestly could have started with Solanke & Ing in a 4-4-2/4-4-1 type of system and put trent in place of Gomez. Probably still would have ended the same way but you might of had Salah and Firmino coming on off the bench.

TAA     VVD   Matip  Robertson

Mane  Lallana  Can   AOC

Ings

Solanke

It's all hindsight but when you know they are going to park it sometimes it might be better to give them something different to think about.

Worst case it probably finished the same scoreline.

Before the game, with the line up we had, I thought we'd win that game. With the form we showed, playing against bottom team, was sure we'd get goals. What the hell do I know :) If we started 4-4-2 with Ings/Solanke, would probably have been scratching my head off the back of the City result.

But given the way the game went, would have no problem trying something like what you suggested from HT on. We were really struggling to break them down. Personally not sure I'd put Solanke out, hasn't really done it for us yet imho, but 30 mins before end might have gone:

Karius
          TAA    VVD   Robertson
             AOC Can Lallana
          Salah Firmino Mane
                 Ings

Taken off Matip for Ings, Can was playing deepish anyway.
      But with AOC, Lalllana,Salah, Firmino, Mane, ings, thats a lot of attacking players.
      Maybe even thro VVD up top near the end and leave Can at CB.
      That might be a bit over the top, but we need to start trying something different in the games were our F1 gets stuck in traffic :)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #15922: Jan 24, 2018 10:25:51 am
      I’m happy to wait until the summer if Jürgen can’t get the Man/Men he wants during this window, this teams evolving and given our squad depth quality, Goal Keeper Problems, our back line and midfield I’d say we’re punching above our weight due to our attackers and the tactics..

Coutinho was a huge loss but he didn’t want to be here, he had his heart set on Barcelona, much like De Gea who’s have been a Madrid player if it wasn’t for a fax machine malfunction 😂

We were always going to lose a game eventually following our unbeaten run as did City, now we’ve got that monkey off our back we can regroup and focus on the games ahead with our without new signings..

I’m firmly behind Klopp, I’m the most relaxed I’ve been that we’re in good hands since the haydays of Rafa’s most feared team in Europe..
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,610 posts | 3915 
      Reply #15923: Jan 24, 2018 10:44:15 am
      We seem play very slow pace against bottom teams Swansea he need change things we play these teams home or away look utd sh*t football but still get job done

You can’t play fast paced football when the other team refuses to move. There are no pockets to run into and it just starts to go sideways. I have no f**king clue how to break these teams down, I guess you need to be perfect on set pieces plus hitting the target from outside the box
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #15924: Jan 24, 2018 11:50:11 am
      You can’t play fast paced football when the other team refuses to move. There are no pockets to run into and it just starts to go sideways. I have no f**king clue how to break these teams down, I guess you need to be perfect on set pieces plus hitting the target from outside the box

You need to move the CB's and full backs out of their comfort areas with runs from deep, fullbacks creating overlaps and cutting the ball back against the grain, quick 1-2's on the edge of the box if anything to invite a foul.

Against the low block it's so important for the second wave of attack from midfield to contribute something that was sorely missing.

Just look at Gini as an example he is laying the ball off to VVD and Matip to take the ball forward. What happened to the pass and move that's supposed to be ingrained in Dutch players. No wonder Dutch football is in a right state.

Oh for a prime Gerrard in these situations to drive at the defence wait for a lay off and smash one in from 20 yards.
      Instead we have to rely on Gomez and VVD!

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #15925: Jan 24, 2018 02:06:29 pm
      We lost because of Klopp refusing to buy a decent goalkeeper. Ball went in at about 2mph. Slow reactions. Good goalkeepers save those. Nothing to do with Coutinho. Salah will probably be gone end of the season and all Klopp had to do to solve it is get a better keeper, so many opportunities but our whole team is no better than pre klopp because of our goalkeeping weekness. We are hanging in top four because of rivals doing even worse, once they get there **** sorted we're 6th again.

I've took a lot of stick for my opinions, but now the chickens are coming out to roost.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #15926: Jan 24, 2018 02:56:24 pm
      Can't recall us having a problem breaking Citeh down.

Wheyyy someone had to say it.

Because City didn't put a brick wall in front of us. 
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #15927: Jan 24, 2018 03:04:47 pm
      You need to move the CB's and full backs out of their comfort areas with runs from deep, fullbacks creating overlaps and cutting the ball back against the grain, quick 1-2's on the edge of the box if anything to invite a foul.

Against the low block it's so important for the second wave of attack from midfield to contribute something that was sorely missing.

Just look at Gini as an example he is laying the ball off to VVD and Matip to take the ball forward. What happened to the pass and move that's supposed to be ingrained in Dutch players. No wonder Dutch football is in a right state.

Oh for a prime Gerrard in these situations to drive at the defence wait for a lay off and smash one in from 20 yards.

Bringing in that boss midfielder (along with Keita) should be our first priority in the summer.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #15928: Jan 24, 2018 03:06:01 pm

It also needs players to take some of the opposition players out of shape. Salah tried it all to briefly but he at times drew a defender in and the passed it on.

It needs players comfortable in tight areas and players with good footwork.

Failing that it becomes a question of a cross and a lucky bounce, or a set piece goal and all of those things can change a game.

We find ourselves with no free kick taker now so it's lots of work on the training ground for someone to step up like Coutinho did once Suarez left.

We will become a scrappier less attractive team to watch in these bus parking matches but if we can't find a replacement for the quality of Cou then it's the small things in games that will decide how these games go.

Over the course of a season we just have to hope now its enough for a space in the top 4.

We were a very good team, extremely good once VVD came in, but we then sold a world class player.

It would be silly to expect that by doing that we've improved ourselves because we have not. We are weaker now than when the window opened.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15929: Jan 24, 2018 03:07:05 pm
      We lost because of Klopp refusing to buy a decent goalkeeper. Ball went in at about 2mph. Slow reactions. Good goalkeepers save those. Nothing to do with Coutinho. Salah will probably be gone end of the season and all Klopp had to do to solve it is get a better keeper, so many opportunities but our whole team is no better than pre klopp because of our goalkeeping weekness. We are hanging in top four because of rivals doing even worse, once they get there **** sorted we're 6th again.

I've took a lot of stick for my opinions, but now the chickens are coming out to roost.

Which clubs have offered us their goalkeepers then and where did you read about this?

BTW just for info the phrase is "chickens coming home to roost" not that they are in this case after 1 loss in 19 games and 1 loss after 5 consecutive wins!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15930: Jan 24, 2018 03:08:35 pm
      Wheyyy someone had to say it.

Because City didn't put a brick wall in front of us. 

Woop woop
      Can you remind me how Coutinho used to be able to break the bus parking teams down, for example how effective was he against Everton and West Brom recently?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #15931: Jan 24, 2018 04:07:49 pm

So what happens to these roosting chickens if we string another unbeaten run together ?

Think most people would have happily took a draw against City before a ball was kicked given their form, so in perspective were 1 point worse off by winning and losing to Swansea, its really not the end of the world, we just need to bounce straight back.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #15932: Jan 24, 2018 04:50:46 pm
      So what happens to these roosting chickens if we string another unbeaten run together ?

Think most people would have happily took a draw against City before a ball was kicked given their form, so in perspective were 1 point worse off by winning and losing to Swansea, its really not the end of the world, we just need to bounce straight back.

Ignore mate.

Only an extreme narcissist could watch Monday and come up with a new goalie as the answer against the bus parkers.....cos that’s what he’s been saying for months 🤪

Sorry - that is - when he’s not been calling for the bosses head in the midst of our best start since 2008/9 and a 19 game unbeaten run.

Jesus wept.......but only cos someone hid the sharp stuff 🙄

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2018 05:12:08 pm by Scotia »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #15933: Jan 24, 2018 05:07:50 pm
      Great player...can't really replace the things he did

With £140M we could maybe have a try though?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #15934: Jan 24, 2018 05:33:06 pm
      Mmm Roast Chicken.

Or have I misread.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #15935: Jan 24, 2018 05:35:44 pm

Even Lanzini would be a good buy and improve us vs defensive teams.. and I don't even rate him highly!
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,203 posts | 914 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #15936: Jan 24, 2018 07:44:15 pm

As I have posted many times, we won't see any of that £140 million with out minge owners
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #15937: Jan 24, 2018 07:54:58 pm

As I have posted many times, we won't see any of that £140 million with out minge owners

You mean those minge owners who splashed £134 million in the Summer and a further £75 million this January? Yeah, dead tight those lot.  :roll:
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #15938: Jan 24, 2018 08:11:14 pm
      Mmm Roast Chicken.

Or have I misread.

Quick Reply