Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1528327 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #16238: Jan 30, 2018 02:59:33 pm
      Reds appoint Michael Edwards as sporting director

Edwards will now lead the club’s overall football development, including player identification, acquisitions, sales and retention

We can't blame Mike Gordon anymore. The blame is between this operational guy and the one who has the final say on which players come or go. Just hope that his bonus isn't tied to trading profits. Which means he might pocket a few million pounds from the Coutinho sale. Big conflict of interest if so.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16239: Jan 30, 2018 04:35:26 pm
      Reds appoint Michael Edwards as sporting director

LFC
      Michael Edwards has today been appointed as Liverpool Football Club's sporting director.

The 37-year-old is being promoted into a newly-created role as part of a restructuring of the football operations. Edwards will now lead the club’s overall football development, including player identification, acquisitions, sales and retention, as well as taking primary responsibility for reviewing and implementing improvements to the training ground environment and infrastructure.

The move has been welcomed by Jürgen Klopp, who has praised Edwards’ contribution and influence in helping to assemble the current playing set-up within the first team, development squad and Academy.

Ensuring the club remains an industry leader in providing a clear pathway from the younger age groups to the first-team squad is another key responsibility contained within the remit.

Commenting on behalf of Fenway Sports Group, FSG president and owner Mike Gordon said: “John, Tom and I are delighted Michael has accepted this new role. He is an extremely talented football executive who has demonstrated his exceptional value to the club. Both Jürgen and I know LFC will be stronger as a result of his appointment.

“When Jürgen was named manager, he was clear that the high quality of our playing squad was an important factor in his decision process; Michael has been integral to assembling the squad and we are confident he is ready to make this next step in his career.”

Edwards joined the club in November 2011, initially as head of analytics before he was subsequently promoted to director of technical performance and then, more recently, technical director.

Commenting on his new role, Edwards said: “I’ve been proud to be part of the football operations structure here at Liverpool and it’s a great honour to be asked to lead it going forward, in this new role of sporting director. We have a brilliant team of people who all make a huge contribution to the process of player transfers and retention, together with recruitment for the senior team, development squad and our Academy.       

“Jürgen’s belief and confidence in what we have done is also welcomed and was a big factor in me making the decision to accept this position. It’s critical that we are always focused on development and improvement across all areas of the football operation. It’s an exciting challenge to be tasked with the responsibility of reviewing our practices and then implementing positive changes as and when they are needed. I know I’ll be supported by a brilliant group of people while doing this.”

Giving his reaction to the appointment, Klopp said: “This decision is hugely positive for us and it will make us better and stronger in managing the process of building and retaining playing talent at all age groups. Development is so important and it makes sense to have a position, within the football structure specifically, that focuses on where we can improve.

“It’s no secret I like the concept of a sporting director and having worked under this model previously I have found it to be nothing but positive and forward-thinking.

“Michael is absolutely the right person for this. He has the knowledge, expertise and personality to flourish in the role and I was delighted when he told me he would be accepting the position.

“Importantly, he also has a fantastic team of people around him, who have all played a significant role in putting together the talent we currently have in the first team, development squad and at even younger age levels.”
      We needed this, good move by the club.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FCmanager
      Reply #16240: Jan 30, 2018 07:09:39 pm
      I read that Jürgen has complained that the first half extra time was 10 mins due to the var delays, yet only 4 mins was played. Aledgedly, on the instruction of the tv company as they had to fit in pundits analysis and adverts.
      If that’s right it needs sorting right away, we can’t have tv companies controlling the game to that extent, however much dosh they pump in to it.
      It may not have made any difference to our result, in fact it’s possible WB could have scored again the way things were going. Although denied by the FA, apparently that was the instruction the match official received, max 4 mins.

Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #16241: Jan 30, 2018 07:20:25 pm
      I read that Jürgen has complained that the first half extra time was 10 mins due to the var delays, yet only 4 mins was played. Aledgedly, on the instruction of the tv company as they had to fit in pundits analysis and adverts.
      If that’s right it needs sorting right away, we can’t have tv companies controlling the game to that extent, however much dosh they pump in to it.
      It may not have made any difference to our result, in fact it’s possible WB could have scored again the way things were going. Although denied by the FA, apparently that was the instruction the match official received, max 4 mins.

Yeah that was absolute bullshit. The penalty call on its own took longer than that.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #16242: Jan 30, 2018 09:27:01 pm
      I don't know.. odd isn't it

I mean you spend most of your time defending them and defending things that are at the least open to debate and interpretation.. but you don't, you flatly attempt to shut them down calling it nonsense when people offer the alternative view on the owners

Like I and you say

odd isn't it

Maybe it's just simply that you have dug yourself so into that side of debate you're not big enough a person to admit that things aren't as black and white on it and that you may be wrong in being such a defender of them

Blanked him years ago when he fitst began excavating.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16243: Jan 30, 2018 10:10:06 pm
      Would say he's relieved to get the 3 points and go into Spuds with a bit of confidence.
      Was under pressure after the last couple of results, and tho didn't really change things up, was a comfortable 3 points.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16244: Jan 30, 2018 10:11:50 pm
      After selling Couts and loaning Sturridge, can only think being out the FA cup is a good thing, least important trophy after league cup and we really can't be picking up injuries from non priority games now. Good 3 point that takes us to 2 points per game average.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #16245: Jan 30, 2018 10:18:54 pm
      50 points is our 2nd best points tally after 25 games since that day in 1991 when Dalglish resigned.

Not bad considering he was on 49 at this point last year.

Certainly our two most consistent league campaigns since we last won the title.

Can't knock that if you're a Liverpool fan under the age of about 35.
      Harrisimo

• 8,259 posts | 1391 
      Reply #16246: Jan 30, 2018 10:19:10 pm
      Well Mahrez has gone to City and Sturridge has gone. Now no disrespect to Ings but I would've prefered Sturridge to stay and Ings go on loan.

It's a high risk strategy, injuries can wreck the second half of the season. We will need Salah,Firmino and Mane to have a brilliant second half of the season. No doubt the win tonight has eased a few furrowed brows. But soon as someone limps off, the worries will return.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #16247: Jan 30, 2018 10:31:40 pm
      Utter nonsense, if a manager is unhappy at the money they are getting they either make a vague reference to it in a press conference saying they have to work within their means blah blah blah or they leak it to the press that they are unhappy. A manager of Klopp's reputation wouldn't bother staying at a club where is continually denied funds, it just doesn't make any sense and German's are not known for being duplicitous, ie saying one thing to the press and another behind closed doors, they are rather more known for being as blunt as a spoon as we have seen in many post match interviews already.
      The reality is that Klopp has funds available, obviously not the same as Manure, Citeh or PSG but he has money but he chooses, for some unknown reason, not to spend it.

Not necessarily, some do that, Rafa for example. Rogers always kept his thoughts to himself when he was at LFC, he only really shared some things once he had left the job. I think Klopp is fairly diplomatic as well.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #16248: Jan 31, 2018 12:06:02 am
      Blanked him years ago when he fitst began excavating.

if you have me on ignore, why cant you ignore, ;D
      Harrisimo

• 8,259 posts | 1391 
      Reply #16249: Jan 31, 2018 12:07:41 pm

If the first half is effectively cut down from 45 minutes to 39 minutes then that obviously does effect the outcome. The club should've made an official complaint to find out exactly why 5/6 minutes was cut off the playing time.

Did BT cover the game. If so I doubt they or Sky could get down the ear of the 4th official over the time.

Probably what happened is the bungling incompetent FA had no proper procedure or guidelines in place regarding time added on for VAR. This comes as no surprise. Should be that once a VAR appeal is made the 4th official starts a stopwatch and once the decision is made the Ref signals to the 4th official that the game will restart, and he stops the watch. Simple procedure to add up the time taken up by VAR.

It's not difficult to arrange...well it is for the FA....surely the biggest bunch of shove ha'apenny, halfwit, harebrained, knumbskulls the game has ever seen.
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2018 12:43:11 pm by Harrisimo »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16250: Jan 31, 2018 12:44:04 pm
      Klopp said he didn't go in for Aubameyang because it doesn't fill a space we are short on players. What a bunch of bullsh*t. Just got rid of Coutinho and Sturridge. Aubameyang would have made it a decent window but Klopp doesn't think we need him.

Most stupid comment since he said Mignolet is perfect for Liverpool.
      Aubameyang went for 56m.
      56+75 would be 131m. Less than Coutinho fee!!!.
      We already passed up Lacazette, what is going on here?????
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2018 12:49:00 pm by Ribapuru »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #16251: Jan 31, 2018 12:46:59 pm
      Klopp said he didn't go in for Aubameyang because it doesn't fill a space we are short on players. What a bunch of bullsh*t. Just got rid of Coutinho and Sturridge. Aubameyang would have made it a decent window but Klopp doesn't think we need him.

Your defo going off Klopp mate  :D
      Kopite78
      Reply #16252: Jan 31, 2018 12:49:53 pm

Aubameyang went for 56m.
      56+75 would be 131m. Less than Coutinho fee!!!.
      We already passed up Lacazette, what is going on here?????

Don't believe everything they say to the press. Either try to read between the lines or pay it no notice
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16253: Jan 31, 2018 12:52:06 pm
      I've slowly gone off him with the goalkeeper situation he has ignored every window. He's only just started to give Karius a chance... But letting Aubameyang go to a rival is disgraceful. Klopp could have got him if he wanted. He was available. It's nothing to do with FSG, Klopp himself said that it doesn't fill a space he needs.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16254: Jan 31, 2018 12:52:45 pm
      Don't believe everything they say to the press. Either try to read between the lines or pay it no notice
      it's klopp who said it himself.

"He is a great player but he does not play in a position for which we urgently need new players."

Klopp said this about Aubameyang.
      It's got to be his opinion or he wouldn't say it. If he wanted Aubameyang he would have said he plays the players that the club can negotiate a deal with or something.

The only thing I can say is, I hope that 8 points clear is enough because if Aubameyang proves to be a good signing and Arsenal finish fourth... quote from Klopp won't be forgot.

We have champions league football to consider, somewhere along our season we will end up with Ox, Solanke and Ings as our front... Yet yesterday he couldn't even give them 10 minutes.
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2018 01:00:25 pm by Ribapuru »
      Kopite78
      Reply #16255: Jan 31, 2018 12:59:13 pm
      I've slowly gone off him with the goalkeeper situation he has ignored every window. He's only just started to give Karius a chance... But letting Aubameyang go to a rival is disgraceful. Klopp could have got him if he wanted. He was available. It's nothing to do with FSG, Klopp himself said that it doesn't fill a space he needs.

But Klopp has worked with him before.
      He has a reputation as a player with a poor attitude and maybe Klopp knows that better than anyone

But if he says to the press that then it's a story for months, Klopp slags off Aubamayang etc etc

If he think that but just gives the answer you have your knickers in a twist about then there are no follow up questions or sensational headlines

Manager's don't tell the truth in press conferences

I think we should have signed someone this window of course but I'm not getting my head wrecked that we didn't sign Aubamayang due to his reputation. And our manager's knows that more than most
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #16256: Jan 31, 2018 01:01:03 pm

Its obviously about opinions mate and all though Klopp can take some of the blame on how transfers have gone, ultimately i do thing its down to FSG.

Percentage wise,
      Klopp 20%
      FSG 80%

Just my opinion though.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16257: Jan 31, 2018 01:03:12 pm
      But Klopp has worked with him before.
      He has a reputation as a player with a poor attitude and maybe Klopp knows that better than anyone

But if he says to the press that then it's a story for months, Klopp slags off Aubamayang etc etc

If he think that but just gives the answer you have your knickers in a twist about then there are no follow up questions or sensational headlines

Manager's don't tell the truth in press conferences

I think we should have signed someone this window of course but I'm not getting my head wrecked that we didn't sign Aubamayang due to his reputation. And our manager's knows that more than most
      my rant can be forgotten... This is a bit embarrassing to admit but I thought he was 25. Just seeing he's 28.. it's the right choice. He's probably going to be outside his prime soon. He'll be 29 in June.
      Kopite78
      Reply #16258: Jan 31, 2018 01:03:55 pm
      Its obviously about opinions mate and all though Klopp can take some of the blame on how transfers have gone, ultimately i do thing its down to FSG.

Percentage wise,
      Klopp 20%
      FSG 80%

Just my opinion though.

Have to agree ultimately Keith

Manager's give targets to the people who do the deals, they don't give  ultimatums on price.
      If the people who do the deals can't get them over the line that's on them

Manager's don't negotiate the deals

I don't believe Klopp didn't have any targets this month
      I believe the money men couldn't agree them

I know where my blame is
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #16259: Jan 31, 2018 01:14:12 pm

I have to agree with this to a certain extent but there must be some reason why Klopp was not interested, I think there is a lot of baggage with Aubameyang, most Dortmund fans are glad to see the back of him.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #16260: Jan 31, 2018 01:17:42 pm

Percentage wise,
      Klopp 20%
      FSG 80%

Just my opinion though.

Not sure how you reach that conclusion after Klopp again and again and again in interviews says that he has final say AND he has money made available to him. Klopp does not strike me as some kind of corporate kiss ass who is running scared of the evil owners and is to scared or unable to resign, because surely if he is denied funds every window then he would leave, he can't be short of offers from other clubs.

Quick Reply