Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1526221 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #16468: Feb 07, 2018 12:08:07 am
      You see, now I disagree with that. Hear me out before you attack me for an opinion. I'm not saying for one moment that he's a bad manager, but he's not won a thing with us yet. Our trophy cabinet remains barren and we've only so far finished in the Champions League once out of two attempts. His accomplishments at Dortmund are also considerably overplayed by a section of the supporters, so I would say that whilst he's the best manager we could get in our current stage of development, the jury is still out on whether he's a great manager in say the same way Rafa or Houlier, or the true greats of yesteryear, because if we're going to say the mark of a great manager is to run up and down the touch line like a lunatic, crack a couple of jokes in press conferences and finish fourth, then standards have truly plummeted. The man needs to start winning things before he can truly be considered great.

Fair enough. And it's true Klopp still has plenty to prove here and a top 4 this season is surely the minimum acceptable. I'm a little bit disappointed with the window just gone. Could it be that he didn't prepare for the loss of Coutinho in this window. Did he think Coutinho would take us thru to the end of the season.

Then letting Sturridge go. Injuries will happen, Ings and Solanke are untested. I'm sure the vast majority of LFC fans know the score, we back managers here, give them support, but nobody is kidding themselves. Klopp still has it all to do.

To win things he has to have the resources to compete. Klopp cannot be truly judged until he is fully backed and given a Squad capable of challenging for the title. This Squad is nowhere near capable yet. We are six world class players away from winning trophies.

Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,169 posts | 1384 
      Reply #16469: Feb 07, 2018 12:31:52 am

To win things he has to have the resources to compete. Klopp cannot be truly judged until he is fully backed and given a Squad capable of challenging for the title. This Squad is nowhere near capable yet. We are six world class players away from winning trophies.

I agree and I've pointed out a few times that Everton have spent more in the time FSG have been in charge. So yes FSG need to back Klopp if they really want us to compete for the Title. Klopp has to lay it on the line as well. So far he seems happy with our net spend, but he needs to get in there and put pressure on them to cough up.

Conteh has had a go over money. Mourinho wouldn't hold back if the money wasn't there. Pep has a blank cheque. Klopp should be telling them he's not here to compete for 4/5th.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #16470: Feb 07, 2018 12:38:35 am

He has more resources than Rafa did. Arguably more than Houlier did. We couldn't compete financially with United during the '90s, nor Chelsea during the early 2000s, yet both managers managed to win things. You're just making excuses where none need to be made.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4972 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #16471: Feb 07, 2018 05:53:19 am
      F**k me, let's get this thread back on track.

Very disappointing result over the weekend and i bet Jürgen is still fuming with the shambolic officiating that took place at Anfield. Interesting how many supporters are changing their viewpoint on Jürgen and his ability to take us to the top. I fully believe he will take us there, the only obstacle in the way of that rise is FSG. As has been correctly pointed out, our net spend since their takeover has been that of a relegation team and while we have acquired some great talent it has always been a case of one for one as opposed to one for two etc. The Summer window will be the final opportunity for FSG to show their true intent or lack of it.

Back to the game and while i was frustrated at the midfield selection and also the inclusion of Lovren i am also aware of the restrictions being placed upon Jürgen and the Squad. I'm not a supporter of rotation as i think that certain areas of the team should be the same week in week out i.e. goalkeeper and centre backs, central midfield and striker. Klopp's system relies on rotation and i have no issue with that as long as we have the squad depth to accommodate it. With Coutinho gone i think Jürgen was looking at Lallana as the potential temporary replacement until the Summer. Again though, one injury and it highlights how shallow this Squad depth actually is. I am a firm believer in that we should have two strong options for every position in the Squad, we don't have that.

We all know the issues with the goalkeeper spot, Mignolet and Karius are both displaying lapses of concentration on a regular basis and for some strange reason, Ward, who has excelled during both his loan periods at Aberdeen and Huddersfield still cannot get a look in. Nobody has been able to nail down the right back spot since the Clyne injury, Alexander Arnold not quite ready yet and Gomez being predominantly a centre back. Robertson has nailed down the left back berth for me but Moreno has got to go, the other option is Milner but i think this will be his last Season here.

At centre back the arrival of van Dijk has highlighted how sh*te our other centre backs are, Klavan is slow and steady and i thought Matip was quite good for a while but the arrival of van Dijk confirmed my worst fears. Lovren, nothing to say really, not good enough. If i was Klopp i'd get Gomez in with van Dijk, he is young and still learning and van Dijk would bring him on no end.

In the midfield i would say Jurgens first choice three would consist of Henderson, Can and Wijnaldum. Can is probably leaving, Wijnaldum just seems to deteriorate with every game he plays and Henderson is still recovering from his injury lay off. We then have Oxlade (still settling in) and Lallana can't seem to stay injury free. Milner is an option if we are struggling.

Up top we have Mane (outstanding), Firmino (world class) and Salah (world class), the only real replacements for the wide forwards are Lallana (mostly injured) and Oxlade (still settling in). I fear for Firmino as i feel he is being run into the ground, so vital to the system that Klopp employs he barely rests him. Replacement options for Bobby are Solanke (nowhere near ready) and Ings (not even in the same league as Bobby).

So there you have it, this is what Klopp has to deal with, this is his hand. He is doing an excellent job and i can't see how anyone can argue otherwise. Klopp does employ a high intensity game plan and i do not wish him to change that or sacrifice his principles or beliefs. Rotation is crucial to the success of the 'gegenpress' style he utilises, it is not his fault he doesn't have the Squad depth to realise that success.

Bear in mind also that we have lost Coutinho, Sturridge and Markovic with no replacements brought in.

It is down to FSG to back their manager in the Summer or he will not stay here for much longer. The Madrid's, PSG's and Bayern's of the world will come calling with the budgets he requires and he will be gone.

You've done it now HCS, outlined what we have in real terms & what we need to continue the build....FSG will be shiitting themselves at thought of what they need to spend this summer, might have to put Linda out to earn a few sheckles 😁,

Seriously though, when we analyse our squad it is pretty fragile....so come the summer we will need....

A goalkeeper, a LB, a CB, 3 at least top quality midfielders to replace Can,who'll be going, Milner, cos he's to old, Henderson, cos he ain't good enough, Lallana squad player at best, Chamberlain squad player, we already have Naby imminent, oh and we will need a AM who can provide that killer pass or piece of inventiveness, you know a Coutinho type...oh wait we had one of those....
      possibly a striker of note who can help Bobby and also so we can perhaps adapt to a alternative system to get passed the bus parkers....
      So how much dya reckon good ol JWH  will need to part with his hard earned spondoolies, well F**k all really cos he won't, let me rephrase,

How many Millions is it going to take for Jürgen to bring in his target's, assuming he sees what we see and knows who stays and who needs to go ?

Going to be a long long summer i feel, over to you FSG......Are You Ready for this ??   ' IT'S SHOW TIME !!

YNWA

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #16472: Feb 07, 2018 08:19:32 am
      I agree and I've pointed out a few times that Everton have spent more in the time FSG have been in charge. So yes FSG need to back Klopp if they really want us to compete for the Title. Klopp has to lay it on the line as well. So far he seems happy with our net spend, but he needs to get in there and put pressure on them to cough up.

Conteh has had a go over money. Mourinho wouldn't hold back if the money wasn't there. Pep has a blank cheque. Klopp should be telling them he's not here to compete for 4/5th.

And how's that working out for Everton? 

Why do you guys all think Klopp is telling lies when he says he has backing and funds available?? You must think the man is a complete wimp and corporate ass licker, which is a bit weird as he doesn't come across like that in interviews.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #16473: Feb 07, 2018 11:24:54 am
      You see, now I disagree with that. Hear me out before you attack me for an opinion. I'm not saying for one moment that he's a bad manager, but he's not won a thing with us yet. Our trophy cabinet remains barren and we've only so far finished in the Champions League once out of two attempts. His accomplishments at Dortmund are also considerably overplayed by a section of the supporters, so I would say that whilst he's the best manager we could get in our current stage of development, the jury is still out on whether he's a great manager in say the same way Rafa or Houlier, or the true greats of yesteryear, because if we're going to say the mark of a great manager is to run up and down the touch line like a lunatic, crack a couple of jokes in press conferences and finish fourth, then standards have truly plummeted. The man needs to start winning things before he can truly be considered great.

I wouldn't really argue with your comments mate as trophies at the end of the day back a manager up. However, given the fact Liverpool have a dodgy defence and you've recently had a 18 match unbeaten run with less funds than United & City I think he's done very very well myself.

I've said in the past a manager is as good as the tools he's using. Sadly for Liverpool you do have some tools!! ( if you get my drift  ;D ) In the defence which is costing you dearly. Your third in the table, lost 3 matches, only City lost less than you in premiership.

For me only reason why he's not won a trophy is down to owners. Given the funds (( and do a city)) I would buy 3/4 players which includes a goalkeeper and then sadly for United fans  :f_whistle: you'll be back.  ;D

Through no fault of his own Liverpool have profited in the transfer market over the last 2/3 years. Certainly not his idea to sell your best players just the continued lack of ambition from your owners who to date have proven their only in the make up for profit. That tells me under the circumstances Klopp doing a GREAT! Job.

So I say again, he's a great manager working on limited funds.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,225 posts | 6352 
      Reply #16474: Feb 07, 2018 11:30:20 am
      Please, any of you Klopp pessimists...please tell me just one name in world football...just  ONE...that you would rather have in here, not to steal us a trophy and then run or be run off like Mourinho, ONE that would have us competing on the budget we have and that  would be setting us up  for longer term growth and improvement.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #16475: Feb 07, 2018 12:09:01 pm
      Please, any of you Klopp pessimists...please tell me just one name in world football...just  ONE...that you would rather have in here, not to steal us a trophy and then run or be run off like Mourinho, ONE that would have us competing on the budget we have and that  would be setting us up  for longer term growth and improvement.

Other than Rafa I can't see anyone else who could keep us competitive..
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3393 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #16476: Feb 07, 2018 12:21:00 pm

People need to be careful what they wish, not everyone is a basketcase like Chelsea who still manage to win things
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #16477: Feb 07, 2018 12:33:46 pm
      People need to be careful what they wish, not everyone is a basketcase like Chelsea who still manage to win things

The Russian has a Method to his madness by hiring & firing..

Keeps them competitive.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #16478: Feb 07, 2018 12:36:49 pm
      I wouldn't really argue with your comments mate as trophies at the end of the day back a manager up. However, given the fact Liverpool have a dodgy defence and you've recently had a 18 match unbeaten run with less funds than United & City I think he's done very very well myself.

I've said in the past a manager is as good as the tools he's using. Sadly for Liverpool you do have some tools!! ( if you get my drift  ;D ) In the defence which is costing you dearly. Your third in the table, lost 3 matches, only City lost less than you in premiership.

For me only reason why he's not won a trophy is down to owners. Given the funds (( and do a city)) I would buy 3/4 players which includes a goalkeeper and then sadly for United fans  :f_whistle: you'll be back.  ;D

Through no fault of his own Liverpool have profited in the transfer market over the last 2/3 years. Certainly not his idea to sell your best players just the continued lack of ambition from your owners who to date have proven their only in the make up for profit. That tells me under the circumstances Klopp doing a GREAT! Job.

That's the point I'm making. There is a difference between 'doing well' and being a 'great'. You simply cannot be considered one of the greats in the history of our club without winning anything. As for funds, please stop deluding yourself. You make it sound like he's working on a shoestring budget. FSG have backed Klopp more on both player wages and transfer fees than they did Rodgers, and the fact that he didn't win a trophy in his third year was used as a stick to beat him with. Yet when it comes to Klopp, people use the same stick to beat FSG with despite them finally opening the wallet after eight years. We're competing far closer financially to City and United, out performing Arsenal and Spurs, than we were with moneybags United of the '90s, or oil rich Chelsea of the 2000s. Klopp is could be doing better in some areas but overall he's doing reasonably well, certainly what is expected of him, and only the most disingenuous amongst us would suggest he's not taking us forward. But he's not one of the greats - yet.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #16479: Feb 07, 2018 12:55:34 pm
      I think in thw games against Swansea, West Brom, Huddersfield and Spurs our chance creation is down from earlier on in the season.

Sooner or later he will have to solve the loss of Coutinho or we will really have to tighten up at the back. Against Spurs it took a through ball from Dier and a piece of Salah magic to score goals.

Before we blew ourselves out, we had the chances to make chances but the vision seemed lacking.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #16480: Feb 07, 2018 02:24:04 pm
      That's the point I'm making. There is a difference between 'doing well' and being a 'great'. You simply cannot be considered one of the greats in the history of our club without winning anything. As for funds, please stop deluding yourself. You make it sound like he's working on a shoestring budget. FSG have backed Klopp more on both player wages and transfer fees than they did Rodgers, and the fact that he didn't win a trophy in his third year was used as a stick to beat him with. Yet when it comes to Klopp, people use the same stick to beat FSG with despite them finally opening the wallet after eight years. We're competing far closer financially to City and United, out performing Arsenal and Spurs, than we were with moneybags United of the '90s, or oil rich Chelsea of the 2000s. Klopp is could be doing better in some areas but overall he's doing reasonably well, certainly what is expected of him, and only the most disingenuous amongst us would suggest he's not taking us forward. But he's not one of the greats - yet.

Try not to mix my comments up with greats mate. Big difference in great manager and one of the greats. Plural is everything in this case. Compared to United & City his budget not in their league ( especially City ) but we can certainly agree he's the right man for Liverpool till proven otherwise.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #16481: Feb 07, 2018 02:49:35 pm
      I think in thw games against Swansea, West Brom, Huddersfield and Spurs our chance creation is down from earlier on in the season.

Sooner or later he will have to solve the loss of Coutinho or we will really have to tighten up at the back. Against Spurs it took a through ball from Dier and a piece of Salah magic to score goals.

Before we blew ourselves out, we had the chances to make chances but the vision seemed lacking.

This is a good point. Ox has not been in great form of late. Lallana is not fit. Mane is lacking some explosiveness (although he continues to work very hard and I'm hoping is returning to top form), Bobby still works hard but his game is often about combining with others and those connections are not quite on song of late. Our central midfielders are all pretty much play-it-safe types. One of those out of the three I get, but we could do with most unlocking passes as well as demonstrating an ability to shoot from distance (only Can tries much of that and not usually on target).

Hoping to see an upturn in form among some of the other forwards (including Ox/, but I think some new midfield faces in the summer will be important.

hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      Reply #16482: Feb 07, 2018 05:07:48 pm
      He has more resources than Rafa did. Arguably more than Houlier did. We couldn't compete financially with United during the '90s, nor Chelsea during the early 2000s, yet both managers managed to win things. You're just making excuses where none need to be made.

Could i ask you a question please?

All i want is a straight yes or no.

Do you think this Squad is capable of winning a League title at this current moment in time?

No paragraph response or explanation please, just a straight yes or no.

Thank You
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16483: Feb 07, 2018 05:27:27 pm
      There is nobody yet, Gerrard in the future.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 334 
      Reply #16484: Feb 07, 2018 06:13:27 pm
      There is nobody yet, Gerrard in the future.

It'd be lovely, but who can promise he'll achieve better than Jürgen?  He has no pedigree as a manager at all yet.
      Also, he'd still be competing with the Mancs' bottomless pit of funds and Chav's oily filthy lucre.     

Stick with Klopp.  We're on an upward trajectory.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16485: Feb 08, 2018 03:51:18 pm
      Time to get back on topic me finks. JK great manager.
      Not totally sure Jeremy Kyle is a manager, but if Mourinho is I guess anybody can be.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #16486: Feb 08, 2018 04:23:49 pm
      Not totally sure Jeremy Kyle is a manager, but if Mourinho is I guess anybody can be.

:lmao:
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      Reply #16487: Feb 08, 2018 07:15:08 pm
      Could i ask you a question please?

All i want is a straight yes or no.

Do you think this Squad is capable of winning a League title at this current moment in time?

No paragraph response or explanation please, just a straight yes or no.

Thank You

5timesacharm, are you going to respond please?

Thank You
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16488: Feb 08, 2018 07:31:19 pm

If you're just looking at us in isolation then that comment makes sense but once you factor in all the other teams then you're point isn't as strong so in that it completely lacks any context especially when you consider that the whole league below us is a lot more competitive than it was both on the field and off it. I mean, look at the table in 2004. We got 4th place but with just 60 points. The idea of any team getting 4th with that amount of points on the table seems a long shot by today's standards. The margin for error was so much bigger for us in the league and hence displays that we were probably operating in a similar freedom competitively when it came to the domestic cups.

Also given that Klopp has served just two and a bit years in charge of this team, maybe it's only fair that you start comparing him with Rafa and Houllier once he, like them, has served 6 seasons? To say you're giving him stricter measures for success would be an understatement!
      firminofanboy1
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | 15 
      Reply #16489: Feb 09, 2018 06:09:51 am
      Other than Rafa I can't see anyone else who could keep us competitive..

I love Rafa. Love. But he's been a declined coach ever since leaving us.

Ancelotti would definitely improve our chances of winning trophies IMO (maybe less appealing football on the eye than Klopp but guess it depends on what you value more - Trophies or entertainment?). For the supporters that go every week maybe they want the latter idk.

Always thought Blanc was a good coach too. He was harshly sacked by PSG. Not like any coach of theirs has won them a CL trophy. Done much better than Emery. Don't think we can consider ever hiring him though given he did have a couple of years at the Mancs as a player.  :roll:

I think whilst I'm still not won over, Klopp deserves one more season after this. With Keita coming in and hopefully a top playmaker and GK, I'm hopeful we might compete for trophies next season.

I'm just praying Klopp don't screw up the summer transfer window (FSG too!). With a good window and keeping hold of our main stars, I can see some glory coming back to the club. If he screws up the window or is naive like he was last summer (Salah was an aamzing buy but no GK or CB was a travesty, left well undercooked going into the new season) he deserves all the criticism that will come his way IMO.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #16490: Feb 09, 2018 08:31:58 am

Rubbish unless you think he is a liar, Klopp has repeatedly said he DOES have funds and backing from the owners, but he quite clearly will only buy the players that he thinks will improve the team and he is prepared to wait for the right ones. This bashing of the owners is getting extremely F***ing tedious now, especially from a Man Utd fan!

Quick Reply