Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1518368 times
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #16537: Feb 13, 2018 12:03:45 pm
      We've had those types of runs before. Sadly it's a 38 matches season.

Reminds me of Arsenal fans defending Wenger because they had the most points for the past 97 matches (I read that at the start of the season).

Fucks given about the past 97 matches: none.

That's of course not any type of criticism to Jürgen Klopp. He's clearly doing well. But I'm so tired of this tactic of picking arbitrary periods of time to try and prove some point.

Am with you on this. I wouldn't have any other manager other than Jürgen at the moment because of various reasons :

A) best man to have us where we are in the league table with the resources available to him
      B) doesn't create any noise and unwanted press conferences blaming owners and lack of investment if any as he wants to present it as one big family
      C) a big attraction in terms of quality of players that we can sign

Last season was "progress"  as we managed to get into the CL. I was banking on the FA cup and a consolidation of the top 4 this season. As it stands (assuming we don't go all the way in the CL and manage to finish in the top 4), we have remained flat in the progress curve.

As far as the tweet is concerned extrapolating it to an entire season is an incorrect inference. But, I think its more to look at how the team has reacted to the horror show at Wembley.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #16538: Feb 13, 2018 12:32:25 pm
      Not knockers Keith, mostly just tits ;)

:lmao:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16539: Feb 13, 2018 12:50:23 pm
      Bit harsh. F***ing hell.

Just speaking the truth mate.

It's frustrating that people are blinded by his pretty football and his flamboyant personality.

Judge him for what he's done for the club. So far he has been underwhelming IMO.

Klopp has LFC matching City since the Spurs defeat.
      Title winning form. Sitting 3rd in the table.
      Hunting down United while the two Manchester clubs outspend all around them.

If you can't see what Klopp is doing here you need to have a sit down with somebody who might be able to explain it to you.
      Underwhelming? You're having a laugh.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #16540: Feb 13, 2018 01:04:51 pm
      Fucks given about the past 97 matches: none.

That's of course not any type of criticism to Jürgen Klopp. He's clearly doing well. But I'm so tired of this tactic of picking arbitrary periods of time to try and prove some point.

I think it highlights the level of consistency we are getting now.  The more forgetful, or those who demand instant gratification, occasionally need reminding that for large swathes of the past decade we have been a top 8 club.

Let us never forget before last year that we had finished 8th twice, 7th twice, and 6th three times in the previous eight seasons.  We've spent most of the recent pre-Klopp years, like it or not, effectively being the Burnley's or Everton's of the Premier League.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16541: Feb 13, 2018 01:12:47 pm
      I think it highlights the level of consistency we are getting now.  The more forgetful, or those who demand instant gratification, occasionally need reminding that for large swathes of the past decade we have been a top 8 club.

Let us never forget before last year that we had finished 8th twice, 7th twice, and 6th three times in the previous eight seasons.  We've spent most of the recent pre-Klopp years, like it or not, effectively being the Burnley's or Everton's of the Premier League.

Some on here seem to be forgetting the last 10 years happened.
      It's not 2008. LFC aren't the No1 team in Europe.
      It will take Klopp time to build, given the finances.
      First time in 10 years the team has consistently challenged in Top 4 in back to back season.

Progress.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #16542: Feb 13, 2018 01:25:34 pm

I also think it's unfair that Diego was using Arsenal fans defending Wenger as an example. Klopp's situation is different to Wenger's, and these stats just reaffirm our improvement so far under Klopp. We've also improved from last season too, especially in the 2nd half where we looked out of ideas, jaded and in horrid form. But now with CL still to play for we look like a top 4 team and with this type of consistency I don't see why we can't improve upon it next season. Now if we are sitting in 6th or 7th place then yes everyone should be concerned and criticizing the owners/manager, but we are not and we are going on the right path. This summer is also going to be a big summer but I'm actually more optimistic than I was under Rodgers in summer transfer windows.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #16543: Feb 13, 2018 02:07:12 pm

Of course, that's why I think Klopp has done well. One of those 8th placed finishes were with Klopp though. The other, under Dalglish, came the season after we went on a brilliant second half season run which was - I remember well at the time - "top 4 form", if you arbitrarily ignored the rest of the season to focus on when we started playing well with the addition of Suarez, those Maxi Rodriguez hat-tricks and so on. Sadly, again, in the following 38 matches season we came up short by some distance.

Don't get me wrong, it's great to have found more consistency, and the numbers are an indication of that, I am just tired of those "title winning" extrapolations. Especially when the league has almost been decided by now, and City can afford the odd bad game until May and still walk it pretty easily.

Arsenal are arguably the most consistent club in the country, as the 97 matches stats I mentioned show. And they haven't won the league in over a decade.

It was just a general point against those tweets that pop up here and again all the time, not just about LFC, which are most of the time pointless. At the start of the season, even when underperforming, I remember reading this:

https://twitter.com/redmysterio96/status/909407163340161024

Again another arbitrary period of time that meant nothing. In this very same period, one could have said, instead, that Liverpool had failed to win 5 of our previous 10 league matches.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16544: Feb 13, 2018 03:37:59 pm
      Bit harsh. F***ing hell.

Just speaking the truth mate.

It's frustrating that people are blinded by his pretty football and his flamboyant personality.

Judge him for what he's done for the club. So far he has been underwhelming IMO.

You're not speaking any truths pal. In fact, such is your conviction regarding such 'truths' you've since gone quiet after that win at the weekend. WUM.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16545: Feb 13, 2018 04:10:24 pm
      Klopps doing okay. We'd be top of the league if he dropped mignolet at the start of the season. There were goalkeepers available in the winter, Newcastle proved it. 7/10. Remember we got eliminated  from domestic cups early.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #16546: Feb 13, 2018 04:15:06 pm
      Klopps doing okay. We'd be top of the league if he dropped mignolet at the start of the season. There were goalkeepers available in the winter, Newcastle proved it. 7/10. Remember we got eliminated  from domestic cups early.

Top of the league but for Mignolet?

You sure Ribs...........?
      Kopite78
      Reply #16547: Feb 13, 2018 04:22:06 pm

The guy lives his life in hyperbole
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16548: Feb 13, 2018 04:25:21 pm

I think Spurs would have won and Southampton draw with Mignolet. Karius probably got us 3 points in 2 games.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #16549: Feb 13, 2018 04:31:40 pm
      I think Spurs would have won and Southampton draw with Mignolet. Karius probably got us 3 points in 2 games.

An improvement no doubt..... but unless Migs had been playing upfront for City in the last 6 months I’m not sure he’d have made “that much” of a difference.......
      « Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018 04:39:13 pm by Scotia »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #16550: Feb 13, 2018 04:44:30 pm
      This is indicative of the direction we are heading in with Klopp.
      In a normal year without the brilliance of City we would be in a title challenge!

https://twitter.com/basstunedtored/status/962759265588076545
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16551: Feb 14, 2018 11:48:31 pm
      Not too shabby is he.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16552: Feb 14, 2018 11:54:57 pm
      This is indicative of the direction we are heading in with Klopp.
      In a normal year without the brilliance of City we would be in a title challenge!

https://twitter.com/basstunedtored/status/962759265588076545

Take out City's freak year. (I know. We can't)
      But any other time and Liverpool are hunting down United for the title.

Guess we'll have to stay patient.
      Klopp is boss.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #16553: Feb 15, 2018 12:05:10 am

I'm perfectly fine thank you.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #16554: Feb 15, 2018 12:06:03 am
      One of those 8th placed finishes were with Klopp though.

That 8th place finish under Klopp was in a season he took over at a point where we were fu**ed in terms of a good league position anyway. That season was on the back of a horrific one where the management change should already have happened. He took over a team that was literally shot of all confidence and a fan base that in truth knew that if things didn’t change, we were in for some very dark times, there was next to no belief anymore from the players to the fans. That season was already at a point where we could only really play for cup runs and hope for the best, and that’s what we did and got to 2 finals, 1 of which was in Europe. That squad was also a damn sight weaker than what we have now IMO.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16555: Feb 15, 2018 12:09:12 am
      That 8th place finish under Klopp was in a season he took over at a point where we were fu**ed in terms of a good league position anyway. That season was on the back of a horrific one where the management change should already have happened. He took over a team that was literally shot of all confidence and a fan base that in truth knew that if things didn’t change, we were in for some very dark times, there was next to no belief anymore from the player to the fans. That season was already at a point where we could only really play for cup runs and hop for the best, and that’s what we did and got to 2 finals, 1 of which was in Europe. That squad was also a damn sight weaker than what we have now IMO.

The squad was a disgrace.
      Between faith being lost in management and constantly dipping into bargain bins in the search for gold...

And yes, didn't expect Diego to be clutching at 1/2 seasons there.

Klopp has put the team in it's best two season run for a decade.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16556: Feb 15, 2018 12:10:01 am
      Take out City's freak year. (I know. We can't)
      But any other time and Liverpool are hunting down United for the title.

Guess we'll have to stay patient.
      Klopp is boss.

Let City have their peak moment. Then when they inevitably fail to replicate this season it will be us who pounces.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16557: Feb 15, 2018 12:13:47 am
      Let City have their peak moment. Then when they inevitably fail to replicate this season it will be us who pounces.

I can but hope, but that's what I'm looking forward to.
      Keep it consistent. Teams keep having spikes of form when they win then drop off.
      Liverpool need to build and then take advantage of that.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16558: Feb 15, 2018 12:15:43 am
      That 8th place finish under Klopp was in a season he took over at a point where we were fu**ed in terms of a good league position anyway. That season was on the back of a horrific one where the management change should already have happened. He took over a team that was literally shot of all confidence and a fan base that in truth knew that if things didn’t change, we were in for some very dark times, there was next to no belief anymore from the players to the fans. That season was already at a point where we could only really play for cup runs and hope for the best, and that’s what we did and got to 2 finals, 1 of which was in Europe. That squad was also a damn sight weaker than what we have now IMO.

Some of the teams we were putting out in the last couple of months were more akin to a manager looking to deliberately lose in the League Cup. For instance remember the 3-1 defeat to Swansea in May 2016? We were playing Brad Smith, Chirivella, Ojo Brannagan, Ibe and Ward for heaven's sake!
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #16559: Feb 15, 2018 06:24:25 am
      Hmmm - unsurprisingly fud-lite in this thread today.

If only we had a top manager....
      « Last Edit: Feb 15, 2018 06:37:43 am by Scotia »

Quick Reply