Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1526652 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #16606: Feb 16, 2018 01:15:31 pm
      Listening to Rooney t'other day on Sly. He said Fungie didn't go OTT with his pre match talk.Rooney said something along these lines.
      " Fungie told us just go out there and get at them, attack..but he was much more tactical in the bigger games". And that was more or less Fungies strategy and tactics.

This is exactly what I, more or less said 10 years ago on another site. I said you attack the so called lesser teams, home & away and are a little bit more tactical against the top 4/5 and against top Euro teams. Obviously I was jumped on, and was told this is far to simplistic. And yes it is very simplistic but it's the best overall tactics. United under Fungie used to amass points week in week out with the odd blip with this attack mentality.

To do that you need to pack your front 6 with as much attacking quality, goal threat, flair and go for it. You holding player is important but in the main you want goal threat. All that is very obvious but I think in Rafa's case he didn't really get that. He overthought and overdid the tactics. Rodgers did by and large have an attacking mentality, but didn't always buy well enough.

Klopp is an attack minded coach and he goes for it home & away. Can be tactical when it's called for against better quality opposition. But it all comes down to in the end how well you buy. Klopp is a great motivator but if over the next 2/3 windows he doesn't compliment our attacking strength it could start to unravell. I have confidence in him to buy the right quality, but it's not easy. For example, many are not convinced by Ox. So the next window will be crucial.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #16607: Feb 16, 2018 01:16:08 pm
      Your not worth the time and effort.

;D so you don't understand touche or Irony, you are just way to funny, intentional or not, ;D :-)
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #16608: Feb 16, 2018 05:05:02 pm
      ;D so you don't understand touche or Irony, you are just way to funny, intentional or not, ;D :-)
      One of my mates once thought I meant "touchy" when I typed "touche" ;D.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16609: Feb 16, 2018 06:03:43 pm
      Not only are your facts wrong, your argument is all over the place
      No we haven't won any trophies yet, nor has anyone else.

Hypocrisy.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16610: Feb 16, 2018 06:09:02 pm
      Your not worth the time and effort.
      Great post Dadorius. That one line of Wisdom we all waited for. Slow Slow clap here. That 7 letter word you spelt there... Just incredible.  :roll:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #16611: Feb 16, 2018 07:04:48 pm

Cool story ;D
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #16612: Feb 16, 2018 07:15:12 pm
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #16613: Feb 16, 2018 07:55:10 pm

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #16614: Feb 16, 2018 09:29:59 pm

Understand it quite well was taking the piss anyway have fun farting about with your little mate.

As I said not worth my time I'm done now.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #16615: Feb 16, 2018 11:04:53 pm
      As ever you lack any context or relativity. When Klopp came into this club we were pulling in all different directions. We had a transfer strategy that was nothing of the kind and had chosen to turn its back on 'attractive, thrilling football' in favour of buying expensive duds like Christian Benteke, Markovic and bargain bin transfers like Lambert and Manquillo which, to use an analogy, was akin to throwing in rotten satsumas as 'stocking fillers' at Christmas time. Farcically we had the contradictory situation of an entire backroom staff being sacked in the summer of 2015 while the manager kept his job. When we found ourselves 'competing' in Europe in the seasons prior to Klopp's arrival we were dumped out by starry illustrious names like Braga, Zenit St Petersburg, Basle and Besiktas - three of those in the early stages of the Europa League for fucks sake. In the months prior to his arrival, we couldn't score more than one goal a game while shipping sh*t loads at the other end perfectly exemplified by possibly the worst ever performance in Liverpool FC history at Stoke in May 2015.

So Klopp comes into the club and swiftly goes about doing what he does best. He gets us to two cup finals with a donkey of a squad. He then oversees our return to the Champions League while playing a brand of football that is not only thrilling and attractive to football fans all over but to players outwith the club. He deploys his charisma to convince class players like VVD to shun a bigger pay day (and instant trophies) at Man City. With few exceptions he has improved every single player at this club. He's seen what the likes of Mane and Salah did at their previous clubs and has improved them tenfold. He guides us through the Champions League with little to no fanfare and is back on the verge of getting us into the last 8 in Europe, the arena where we all felt we should have been competing. And he's achieved this while the competition around us has only got tougher. Not only have teams around us inflated the transfer market to stratospheric levels while we've remained at the same level, the income of brilliant managerial masterminds like Guardiola at Man City and Conte at Chelsea has only risen standards on the field as well. These two elements should have worked against Liverpool and Klopp but Klopp's leadership alone means that this doesn't become an issue or certainly an issue as big as it would have been under almost any other manager. 99.9% of managers out there would have been exposed under such circumstances but we aren't. Yeah - he hasn't got everything right and for sure in the goalkeeping matter his decision to try placating both keepers doesn't seem wise in retrospect but to use that in the way you are doing, to try and pithily use this as a dominating factor in your view of Klopp is pathetic when you fail to recognise so many greater matters that he has succeeded on.

By all means, focus on the micro elements and criticise on that level but don't even dare try to fool us by taking such micro elements and expanding them into bigger, macro elements of his leadership at this club. When you try to argue such micro elements and apply it to a bigger, all encompassing argument then you fail miserably. It's like you're bringing a sausage to a sword fight. That's all you're doing and you look a fool for doing it.

An Inspired post. + 1.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #16616: Feb 17, 2018 12:48:40 am
      FWIW I think it's reasonable to critique Klopp's delay over dealing with central defenders and the goalkeeper.

Genuinely believe if he had acted more swiftly we would have had one of those two trophies in our cabinet.

Having said that I can't fault his record in terms of signings. Just could have been quicker.

He needs success now to propel him to the level of Rafa. Surely Klopp can't end his career at LFC alongside Hodgson and Rodgers trophyless?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,694 posts | 6695 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #16617: Feb 17, 2018 12:52:58 am
      FWIW I think it's reasonable to critique Klopp's delay over dealing with central defenders and the goalkeeper.

Genuinely believe if he had acted more swiftly we would have had one of those two trophies in our cabinet.

Having said that I can't fault his record in terms of signings. Just could have been quicker.

He needs success now to propel him to the level of Rafa. Surely Klopp can't end his career at LFC alongside Hodgson and Rodgers trophyless?

Don't worry Boss, we will beat Barca in the Champs League Final. It is written in the Stars.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,694 posts | 6695 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #16618: Feb 17, 2018 06:58:01 am
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #16619: Feb 17, 2018 05:26:06 pm
      If Carlsberg made fans they would be nothing like you!
      That's Classic... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #16620: Feb 17, 2018 05:28:28 pm
      first of all, Klopp wears raybans. You're probably too drunk to notice. Second, my expectations are trophies, not second place.... I don't expect every trophy, but even a small one like league cup. I shifted no goal posts, 5-0 against porto is good, but y'all acting like we've won silverware. If we finish in top four without a trophy it's acceptable but below expectations. If we win champions league for the 6th time he'll have gone beyond expectations. Just any trophy will do at this point. You're sitting on your perch right now, but I remember every game not just the most recent one.

He makes some good points here
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #16621: Feb 17, 2018 05:30:38 pm
      As ever you lack any context or relativity. When Klopp came into this club we were pulling in all different directions. We had a transfer strategy that was nothing of the kind and had chosen to turn its back on 'attractive, thrilling football' in favour of buying expensive duds like Christian Benteke, Markovic and bargain bin transfers like Lambert and Manquillo which, to use an analogy, was akin to throwing in rotten satsumas as 'stocking fillers' at Christmas time. Farcically we had the contradictory situation of an entire backroom staff being sacked in the summer of 2015 while the manager kept his job. When we found ourselves 'competing' in Europe in the seasons prior to Klopp's arrival we were dumped out by starry illustrious names like Braga, Zenit St Petersburg, Basle and Besiktas - three of those in the early stages of the Europa League for fucks sake. In the months prior to his arrival, we couldn't score more than one goal a game while shipping sh*t loads at the other end perfectly exemplified by possibly the worst ever performance in Liverpool FC history at Stoke in May 2015.

So Klopp comes into the club and swiftly goes about doing what he does best. He gets us to two cup finals with a donkey of a squad. He then oversees our return to the Champions League while playing a brand of football that is not only thrilling and attractive to football fans all over but to players outwith the club. He deploys his charisma to convince class players like VVD to shun a bigger pay day (and instant trophies) at Man City. With few exceptions he has improved every single player at this club. He's seen what the likes of Mane and Salah did at their previous clubs and has improved them tenfold. He guides us through the Champions League with little to no fanfare and is back on the verge of getting us into the last 8 in Europe, the arena where we all felt we should have been competing. And he's achieved this while the competition around us has only got tougher. Not only have teams around us inflated the transfer market to stratospheric levels while we've remained at the same level, the income of brilliant managerial masterminds like Guardiola at Man City and Conte at Chelsea has only risen standards on the field as well. These two elements should have worked against Liverpool and Klopp but Klopp's leadership alone means that this doesn't become an issue or certainly an issue as big as it would have been under almost any other manager. 99.9% of managers out there would have been exposed under such circumstances but we aren't. Yeah - he hasn't got everything right and for sure in the goalkeeping matter his decision to try placating both keepers doesn't seem wise in retrospect but to use that in the way you are doing, to try and pithily use this as a dominating factor in your view of Klopp is pathetic when you fail to recognise so many greater matters that he has succeeded on.

By all means, focus on the micro elements and criticise on that level but don't even dare try to fool us by taking such micro elements and expanding them into bigger, macro elements of his leadership at this club. When you try to argue such micro elements and apply it to a bigger, all encompassing argument then you fail miserably. It's like you're bringing a sausage to a sword fight. That's all you're doing and you look a fool for doing it.

And so do you my friend, so do you
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #16622: Feb 17, 2018 05:38:49 pm
      To add to your post mate that   but now we look more solid and winning games in a professional way. We also look even better defensively and this is credit to the manager to improve our defensive organization and motivating players like Lovren to step up. He knows how he wants his team to play, he instilled his mentality that he used at Dortmund with a better and improved Liverpool team, who will only get better next season (I hope). We MIGHT even be better in Europe than we ever did under Rafa because we never used to demolish teams away from home, especially in the knockout stage!! Trophies will come, it's only a matter of time and we are heading through the right path.
      To being argumentative but when you say  Klopp has learned from mistakes of last season because we had a horrible run in the 2nd half of the season I don't think that it is entirely true he still that's of attacking player for defensive players  which invites other teams on to us... he does this a little to often. He could do better in that department, other than that I have to agree with you
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16623: Feb 17, 2018 06:18:15 pm
      In my opinion Klopp is developing just as much as Liverpool is. He's probably better than Rodgers, Hodgson, Rafa, Houllier and Kenny's second run. He's not yet the finished product. I think he's making some progress though, his substitutions have not been as late the last few weeks so he's probably took onboard criticisms. It's a good thing.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #16624: Feb 17, 2018 08:31:33 pm

Frankly has 17 +'s for that post ....

and you?

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16625: Feb 17, 2018 10:36:50 pm
      Frankly has 17 +'s for that post ....

and you?
      To be fair, it is probably the same naive herd that come on here saying how we're going to win every game, Spurs springs to mind. I said it was going to be a draw before the game... I was called a WUM. It was a draw, forum meltdown..  This same naive herd think Klopps a messiah, he is an improving manager who won nothing yet, but that is just an opinion. When he wins something I will be the first to praise him. I couldn't care how many people kiss Klopp are Frankley's ass, 17 likes doesn't put a trophy in the cabinet.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #16626: Feb 17, 2018 11:32:55 pm
      To be fair, it is probably the same naive herd that come on here saying how we're going to win every game, Spurs springs to mind. I said it was going to be a draw before the game... I was called a WUM. It was a draw, forum meltdown..  This same naive herd think Klopps a messiah, he is an improving manager who won nothing yet, but that is just an opinion. When he wins something I will be the first to praise him. I couldn't care how many people kiss Klopp are Frankley's ass, 17 likes doesn't put a trophy in the cabinet.

... but his comparison to the appalling state we were in and what has happened since we got rid of Rodgers is fact.

Knockers will knock haters will hate.

I didn't know that your other name was Donovan or do you just speak for him?

OK. Question for you.
      What other Premier League manager would you have preferred to Jürgen ?

Who would have been the perfect match ........ ?

Take as long as you like.
      « Last Edit: Feb 17, 2018 11:37:49 pm by MIRO »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16627: Feb 18, 2018 12:03:27 am
      ... but his comparison to the appalling state we were in and what has happened since we got rid of Rodgers is fact.

Knockers will knock haters will hate.

I didn't know that your other name was Donovan or do you just speak for him?

OK. Question for you.
      What other Premier League manager would you have preferred to Jürgen ?

Who would have been the perfect match ........ ?

Take as long as you like.
      It is a very hard question because there are different types of managers, there are managers that make lower teams make a push into top half of the table that suck at big clubs, there are managers that when have money win titles, there are managers that when have money, spend it on garbage, but without spending much can hover around top 4. I would say a title winning manager needs to be able to buy top talent and know where to fit that talent in. There is an obvious manager better then Klopp right and that is Pep. Klopp just got rid of Mignolet from first 11, if that were Pep Mignolet would have been outed years ago, He did that to Hart. City do have better players so Pep has a bit of an unfair advantage, but does anybody actually believe Pep would have put up with Mignolet for the amount of time Klopp did? I can say the same for a bunch of other players in the squad too. We just got VVD and Keita is coming in, Mignolet has finally been dropped and Klopp is starting to make substitutes earlier, most of those points have made February a better month. Klopp is improving, I would not swap him for another manager right now, but remember that Rodgers finished second, Suarez went and look what happened? Suarez to Rodgers will be Salah to Klopp. If Suarez was here people would still be defending Rodgers and we would still not won a trophy. Until Klopp has added a trophy he has made no noticeable impact, he has been here 3 years now, some managers win trophies in their first year and we are still losing to lower league sides in domestic cups so please, don't act like Klopp is the finished product because of a knee jerk reaction to a Porto side that played utterly sh*te.
      « Last Edit: Feb 18, 2018 12:13:10 am by Ribapuru »
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #16628: Feb 18, 2018 12:11:26 am
      Klopp is improving, I would not swap him for another manager right now, but remember that Rodgers finished second, Suarez went and look what happened? Suarez to Rodgers will be Salah to Klopp. If Suarez was here people would still be defending Rodgers and we would still not won a trophy. Until Klopp has added a trophy he has made no noticeable impact, he has been here 3 years now, some managers win trophies in their first year and we are still losing to lower league sides in domestic cups so please, don't act like Klopp is the finished product because of a knee jerk reaction to a Porto side that played utterly sh*te.
      Well that’s not even remotely true, is it?

Quick Reply