Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1526384 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #16813: Mar 06, 2018 11:55:44 am
      Klopp has us as favourites for number 6...

Any parallels between 78 & 18...?

As I put on Facebook a couple of weeks ago;

don't wanna start the omens but 40 years ago we won the European Cup and we scored five goals in the first leg of the last 16 that year to.

We finished second in the League that year, while Arsenal finished outside the top four. Three of the top four were from the North West that year, including city rivals (us and Everton rather than United and City). Newcastle and West Ham both went down. We played a team in blue on the 8th April and won 3-2, this year we happen to play a team in blue on the 8th April.

But as somebody pointed out to me the other day, it's 60 years since the Munich air disaster and 50 years since they first won the European Cup under Matt Busby who was born on the 26th May which just so happens to be the date of the final this year.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #16814: Mar 06, 2018 12:03:00 pm
      It's not a friendly, so it's not the time to experiment. If players get injured, they get injured. Injuries are part and parcel of football, they can happen at any time.
      We are 5-0 up, Porto have their League title to try and win, a more likely target than coming to Anfield and scoring six without reply... and you say "If players get injured, they get injured."...? so we lose Salah,mane and Firmino, how does that help us...? who do we replace them with..? and in The next round we draw Barca, Real Bayern or Juve where we need the talent,skills and goal scoring prowess of Salah, the trickery of Mane, or silky skills of Firmino all for playing them when we need not to....

"Injuries are part and parcel of football, they can happen at any time. "  Very true, but surely management is also part of and parcel of football, and knowing when to risk players is a large part of man management
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #16815: Mar 06, 2018 12:07:10 pm
      As I put on Facebook a couple of weeks ago;

don't wanna start the omens but 40 years ago we won the European Cup and we scored five goals in the first leg of the last 16 that year to.

We finished second in the League that year, while Arsenal finished outside the top four. Three of the top four were from the North West that year, including city rivals (us and Everton rather than United and City). Newcastle and West Ham both went down. We played a team in blue on the 8th April and won 3-2, this year we happen to play a team in blue on the 8th April.

But as somebody pointed out to me the other day, it's 60 years since the Munich air disaster and 50 years since they first won the European Cup under Matt Busby who was born on the 26th May which just so happens to be the date of the final this year.

Nice one DLS...you needed be posting more mate...

So I guess the stars are lining us up for a final with the Mancs ;D
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #16816: Mar 06, 2018 12:42:14 pm
      Quote from The Real Donavan Ried
      We are 5-0 up, Porto have their League title to try and win, a more likely target than coming to Anfield and scoring six without reply... and you say "If players get injured, they get injured."...? so we lose Salah,mane and Firmino, how does that help us...? who do we replace them with..? and in The next round we draw Barca, Real Bayern or Juve where we need the talent,skills and goal scoring prowess of Salah, the trickery of Mane, or silky skills of Firmino all for playing them when we need not to....

"Injuries are part and parcel of football, they can happen at any time. "  Very true, but surely management is also part of and parcel of football, and knowing when to risk players is a large part of man management

Another part of management is "never change a winning team". We're winning ATM, at home and in Europe. Why change?

Like I said, injuries can happen at any time. Many injuries happen on the training ground, as Danny Ings will tell you. So what do we do? Ban training?

A footballers job is to play football games, not put his feet up. There's no guarantee that anyone will get injured tonight any more than there was last week, or this week. We have a job to do tonight, the best chance of finishing the job is to keep faith with those who put us in this position in the first place. We don't want any Seville/Spurs/West Brom panic jobs with reserve team players. Or even PSG last year. Get out there, do the job, and then we'll talk about what is to come after that.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6354 
      Reply #16817: Mar 06, 2018 01:29:08 pm
      Thank goodness Rodgers didn’t take heat for playing a weakened side against Madrid in a meaningless game ;D
      Harrisimo

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #16818: Mar 06, 2018 01:54:14 pm
      Think Klopp will apply a dose of common sense. He will rest Salah and possible Firmino. Robbo maybe, one or two others but it will be a strong side.

I deffo would like to see Firmino sit this one out. He had to deal with all that crap from Holgate, not to mention the snide decision from the creepy FA...Glenn....." Star of David....as offensive as the Swastika..."....how do these plonkers get the job in the first place....

Anyway Firmino deserves a medal for the classy way he has delt with it. Have a well deserved rest.
      « Last Edit: Mar 06, 2018 02:01:08 pm by Harrisimo »
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #16819: Mar 06, 2018 04:40:37 pm
      ;D The "Old" know f**k all about football or Liverpool, the last vestige of someone who knows that they have lost the argument

I see things with open eyes not Red Tinted ones...

If ya can't see Istanbul thru F***ing red tinted glasses..i mean get ta F**k.oh yeah columbus was a c**t as well.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16820: Mar 06, 2018 05:11:45 pm

every time we beat porto we won the whole thing.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #16821: Mar 06, 2018 05:59:39 pm

If ya can't see Istanbul thru f**king red tinted glasses..i mean get ta f**k.oh yeah columbus was a c**t as well.
      May have been a c**t, but he was right   xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #16822: Mar 06, 2018 08:40:02 pm
      Half time: Still 5-0 up.

Strong selection, no injuries, no panic. Doing things the easy way.  :tv_happy:
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #16823: Mar 06, 2018 10:08:34 pm

Sorry, but just to clear some nonsense up once and for all! No problem between Rafa and Jürgen 💙Rafa 💙 Jürgen
      Harrisimo

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #16824: Mar 06, 2018 10:30:20 pm

Sorry, but just to clear some nonsense up once and for all! No problem between Rafa and Jürgen 💙Rafa 💙 Jürgen

Is Rafa saying...."...and we were having breakfast in Istanbul...with Old Big Ears on the table....that's the European Cup by the way...."

Nah....Rafa wouldn't say that would he..

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #16825: Mar 06, 2018 11:44:18 pm
      Is Rafa saying...."...and we were having breakfast in Istanbul...with Old Big Ears on the table....that's the European Cup by the way...."

Nah....Rafa wouldn't say that would he..

Can't wait until Jürgen phones Rafa and say "remember that trophy you win in Turkey? I've won it too!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16826: Mar 07, 2018 12:46:01 am
      It's nice that Klopp is the first manager in 9 years to take us back amongst the 8 best sides in Europe. Now for the other seven sides!

So thank you Jürgen! Onwards and upwards!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #16827: Mar 07, 2018 01:05:22 am
      Can't wait until Jürgen phones Rafa and say "remember that trophy you win in Turkey? I've won it too!

Wouldn't need to rafa will be watching and would come to congratulate him first.
      Harrisimo

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #16828: Mar 07, 2018 01:34:21 am

We are not without a chance. Things will become clearer after next weeks games. I go back to and beyond that infamous Inter Milan semi final in '65
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4oQQPYUO-Y

I was in the Anfield Rd for the first leg. That free kick has hardly been bettered after all these years. Then we were cheated out of it in the San Siro stadium in Milan. After I heard we lost 3-0..I never spoke for about a week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E2eVxrBpCY

Should've been Shankly who won the European Cup in 1965. As it happened the final was actually in the San Siro. Inter beat Benfica 1-0.

Lets hope Klopp can lead to another final but it's much harder now than it was, even from the time Rafa won it.

Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #16829: Mar 07, 2018 07:18:51 am

I dunno about Europe but the commentator said the last time we won through to the QFs (again st Madrid I’m assuming) we won 5-0 on aggregate and then went to Toilet the following weekend and won 4-1. More of that please!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #16830: Mar 07, 2018 10:07:42 am
      It's nice that Klopp is the first manager in 9 years to take us back amongst the 8 best sides in Europe. Now for the other seven sides!

So thank you Jürgen! Onwards and upwards!

He's done a great job and deseves plenty of credit. Not been keeping up with this thread, is he still getting his knockers?
      Kopite78
      Reply #16831: Mar 07, 2018 10:12:28 am
      He's done a great job and deseves plenty of credit. Not been keeping up with this thread, is he still getting his knockers?

Only from the unstable ones

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #16832: Mar 07, 2018 10:18:24 am

Go back a page or two Keith, you'll find there are definitely a couple of tits that even your good self will be astonished at.

YNWA
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #16833: Mar 07, 2018 10:35:34 am

All I see is two men sharing a joke, not a vindication of one man non jealously of another

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #16834: Mar 07, 2018 10:45:05 am

It’s funny it’s not the eejits that bother me it’s the sleekit ones that can’t praise or even objectively criticise without their little “riders” about personality blinding us all.......etc

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #16835: Mar 07, 2018 10:50:37 am
      3 wins away in Europe from legendary status..

Come on Boss.

Quick Reply