Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1528032 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #17457: Jun 26, 2018 05:19:59 pm
      He promised to win the league by his fourth season?

Next season will only be his 3rd full season in charge so there’s time yet. Think we all know that first half a season was a case of saving a sinking ship and making the most of what we could with what was in truth, a poor squad of players on the whole.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,254 posts | 1390 
      Reply #17458: Jun 26, 2018 05:50:30 pm
      What? To make us forget about all the bad signings he has made, like Mo, Virgil, Sadio, Robbo, Ox, Keita, Fabinho?

I clearly meant he has to buy quality and he is under pressure. Anybody who says he isn't just does not understand the history, the dynamic of this club. Every manager is under pressure to win games, buy the best etc etc. Anybody who doesn't understand that is delusional.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #17459: Jun 26, 2018 06:45:22 pm
      I clearly meant he has to buy quality and he is under pressure. Anybody who says he isn't just does not understand the history, the dynamic of this club. Every manager is under pressure to win games, buy the best etc etc. Anybody who doesn't understand that is delusional.

I think you overestimate the owners...the guy is under no pressure whatsoever.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #17460: Jun 26, 2018 07:43:33 pm

I think some people simply cannot fathom that winners regularly put themselves under pressure to succeed, that includes the best player, managers and owners.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #17461: Jun 26, 2018 08:08:21 pm

Disagree AZ.

There's always pressure to win trophies as Liverpool manager and Jürgen will be no different.

I'd say he even puts pressure on himself and we're going into his fourth season here and no silverware so the pressure is there.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6376 
      Reply #17462: Jun 26, 2018 08:33:34 pm
      Jürgen is under no pressure from the owners. They are in love with him. Delivers near trophies and CL qualifying on a mid table net spend. What’s not to like?

Jürgen is under immense pressure from himself. Hopefully he sees that to compete with the big spenders we are not only going to have to rely on developing youth but also spending big (i.e. Virgil).
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #17463: Jun 26, 2018 08:46:02 pm
      Quote from Diego LFC
      Of course he's under pressure! If anything from himself. He said he'd have won the league in 4 years if he was still manager. Which means that if we're not English champions this season, he'll have failed by his own standards.

That doesn't mean I'd like to see him go if that happened, after all circumstances change and all that.

No they don't. He was brought in to finish in the top 4, and that's the base target again this season. Anything more is a bonus.

It is very unfair to dismiss the domestic cups as "nothing". It is the only major trophy we have won in 12 years. 12 years of prioritising this competition over that competition, resting players for something else, has brought persistent failure and underachievement.

When the 80's teams were asked, what do you want to win, the players answer was simple. "Anything". And that usually worked.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #17464: Jun 26, 2018 08:55:49 pm
      Disagree AZ.

There's always pressure to win trophies as Liverpool manager and Jürgen will be no different.

I'd say he even puts pressure on himself and we're going into his fourth season here and no silverware so the pressure is there.

From some supporters yes....but I have to echo this

Jürgen is under no pressure from the owners. They are in love with him. Delivers near trophies and CL qualifying on a mid table net spend. What’s not to like?

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #17465: Jun 26, 2018 09:47:14 pm
      No they don't. He was brought in to finish in the top 4, and that's the base target again this season. Anything more is a bonus.

It is very unfair to dismiss the domestic cups as "nothing". It is the only major trophy we have won in 12 years. 12 years of prioritising this competition over that competition, resting players for something else, has brought persistent failure and underachievement.

When the 80's teams were asked, what do you want to win, the players answer was simple. "Anything". And that usually worked.

"they" what? The circumstances?

I don't understand your post as a response to mine. I've never dismissed domestic cups as "nothing". I'm just pointing out Klopp himself believed he'd have won the league in 4 years. He'll complete 4 years at the club next year. So if he doesn't have the Premier League trophy by next season, his own initial prediction will have been mistaken. That doesn't mean I'll want him out of the club but if you create that sort of expectations then you must be prepared to face the pressure that comes with it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #17466: Jun 26, 2018 10:10:12 pm
      From some supporters yes....but I have to echo this

That much is probably true in regards to the owners but like any manager eventually the supporters desire to win will create that pressure.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,474 posts | 1474 
      Reply #17467: Jun 26, 2018 11:17:33 pm
      That much is probably true in regards to the owners but like any manager eventually the supporters desire to win will create that pressure.
      Exactly right for me,the owners will have there own idea as to what they  class as success & us supporters have our own idea of success which for most part is trophies.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #17468: Jun 27, 2018 03:31:17 am
      (italics and bold added)

Twice you referred to him needing to buy a certain type and quality of player in this window. It was much more than saying a Liverpool manager historically has expectations (pressure) to win. And you said "The Kop" is watching, which to me means if he doesn't buy the kind of player you are talking about (a striker, I believe it was), they will be unhappy with Jürgen.

To me it's a case of needing to build to a team that contends on all fronts - and he's brought far more progress in this area than anyone under FSG. If progress isn't being made, he begins to come into question (and he would agree that it should be this way). So he then determines what must happen for that progress to be made and that team to be built. I'll defer to him on the particular ingredients for the winning formula.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #17469: Jun 27, 2018 10:17:17 am
      Next season will only be his 3rd full season in charge so there’s time yet. Think we all know that first half a season was a case of saving a sinking ship and making the most of what we could with what was in truth, a poor squad of players on the whole.

He never said he'd have won a title "in 4 full seasons which effectively means 5 years as I'm taking over near the start of the season" though, he said "if I sit here in four years, I am pretty confident we will have one title". And he'll have been in charge for 4 years in October 2019.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #17470: Jun 27, 2018 11:57:04 am
      Would some look upon the 4 years of Klopp tenure as a failure if no title is won?...
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #17471: Jun 27, 2018 01:54:37 pm
      Would some look upon the 4 years of Klopp tenure as a failure if no title is won?...

No but no silverware in 4 years and you have to start asking a few questions, but as I have repeatedly said the more important benchmark is direction of travel and in that regard we are getting better and better every season under Jürgen and I really think we are getting close to winning things on a regular basis.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #17472: Jun 27, 2018 03:58:53 pm
      I doubt anyone could put Jürgen under more pressure than Jürgen does. If you look at Shankly's team from 67 to 73 it was a rebuilding job that took a bit of time but looked what happened from 74 onwards. Anyone who cant see the progress this team is making even after losing the likes of Couthino isn't being fair. lets see how this transfer window goes as its been good so far.
      CT_LFC

• 6,807 posts | 1402 
      Reply #17473: Jun 28, 2018 02:21:02 am

No, because we've made 3 finals and luck just has not been on our side to win any of them. The past few years prior to his arrival, other than the magical run to 2nd place, we were basically hanging around the 6-8th spot every year, and now we are top 4, reaching the CL finals and getting better.

Ultimately he needs to (and will, imo) deliver trophies. He is able to spend big on the players he wants, something he did not really get at Dortmund, so as such you want to see trophies added to the collection.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #17474: Jun 28, 2018 08:41:54 am
      some would say that 4 years without anything is a failure. Progress has been made but it has to amount to something.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #17475: Jun 28, 2018 10:34:38 am
      the problem is the FA Cup and the League Cup are no longer considered worthy of challenging for so we are left with the EPL and the CL so if you take a 4th place and a CL final its very nearly a perfect season. I don't think (given the madness of the transfer market) these days you can use Silverware as a true measure of success. I don't know about anyone else but give me a season of incredible attacking football to a season wining borefest of 1-0's
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #17476: Jun 28, 2018 10:35:39 am
      We need a trophy now. Any trophy and a top 4 finish will do me, but we have to pick up some silverware.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #17477: Jun 28, 2018 11:19:11 am

Yes for those who are hoping that he'll fill that German national team manager role, if and when it becomes available.

Yes Klopp is a failure and therefore not good enough for Germany. Will likely lose a cup final and may never win Germany the world cup.

Therefore don't touch Klopp. Don't try to take him away from us. Don't waste everybody's time.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #17478: Jun 28, 2018 05:35:26 pm
      the problem is the FA Cup and the League Cup are no longer considered worthy of challenging for so we are left with the EPL and the CL so if you take a 4th place and a CL final its very nearly a perfect season. I don't think (given the madness of the transfer market) these days you can use Silverware as a true measure of success. I don't know about anyone else but give me a season of incredible attacking football to a season wining borefest of 1-0's

Agree about attacking football, but I would be over the moon if we won either the FA or League Cup.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #17479: Jun 28, 2018 06:52:19 pm
      Quote from Diego LFC
      I don't understand your post as a response to mine. I've never dismissed domestic cups as "nothing". I'm just pointing out Klopp himself believed he'd have won the league in 4 years. He'll complete 4 years at the club next year. So if he doesn't have the Premier League trophy by next season, his own initial prediction will have been mistaken.

The "4 Years" started at the beginning of his first full campaign. So, there are 2 years still to go. Halfway through the project.

You haven't dismissed the domestic cups as nothing. Another poster has, a few posts up. Either the European Cup or EPL or nothing. It's also a common view within the fanbase. That's not how "success" should be, especially with our silverware record in the past decade. We should take anything, just as the players did, 30 years ago.

Quick Reply