Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

The lack of firepower/ goals is still worrying

Read 7819 times
      biggles
      • On Trial
      • Started Topic

• 2 posts |
      The lack of firepower/ goals is still worrying
      Oct 18, 2015 06:22:02 pm
      Hey guys i am new
      this is my first topic

Waves  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Anyway my point is this.

Yes i saw a lot of fight in the team, something that had been missing in a long time.
      Yes, i agree that even though mistakes were STILL there,  by and large we defended a lot better.

However the lack of goals/ final product up front is very disturbing, and it sort of shows the low standards that LFC fans have come to excpect over the last year that they were  hailing a 0-0 as a good result.

Yes i know that the main LFC strikers were away, i am not doubting for a second that it is harder to come by goals without top strikers,  but you have guys like 25 mil Lallana, these are people who should be scoring goals in games like these.

Relying on strikers to come back from injury is all too familiar to last years` scenario.

Remember last season where we kept being told when Sturridge is fully fit we will be banging in the goals again?  But nobody ever stopped to think why are we having to rely on one or two people to score the goals?

That is what worrys me the most. And Origi, is not a natural goal scorer, he went 18 consecutive games last season for Lille without scoring, and he missed the pen that got them kicked out of Europe too. He is the last person you want heading you attack.

Sorry to sound pestimistic, sure i saw fight, but the end result was a lackluster 0-0 and the promises of we will score when we get our strikers back,  which again sounds all too familiar to last season,  and secondly begs the question of why are we so reliant on the same one or two players for the goals?
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Re: The lack of firepower/ goals is still worrying
      Reply #1: Oct 18, 2015 08:27:34 pm
      Welcome Pal.

Ah give it time. Danny Studge is savage. Firmino, Benteke and Hendo will all contribute to goals when they return. Have a feeling we will get 4th...
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2: Oct 18, 2015 08:34:11 pm
      We cannot have to rely on strikers only putting the ball in the opposition net, the midfielders have got to step up to the plate. I am sure this problem will be rectified by Jürgen Klopp and his coaching staff. This  problem of midfielders not scoring has been with us a few years now but I am sure this will change.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3: Oct 18, 2015 08:37:11 pm
      I don't think anyone was 'hailing' the result only they saw it as a basis to go forward on. That's not a sign of diminished ambition - it's a sign of a support base who are looking forward, looking at positives after a lot couldn't over the past year or so. After all - haven't we been told to 'believe' rather than 'doubt'?

And besides, Klopp wouldn't be the manager he is today without realising that goals have to come from players aside from your forward line. Sorry to say but it is a pessimistic post! Do you really think Klopp has come in and isn't seeking to solve the questions you're asking? As Karl said - give it time!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4: Oct 18, 2015 08:50:38 pm
      Leave it to Dr Klopp

Take a chill pill.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #5: Oct 18, 2015 08:54:08 pm
      Sturridge, Benteke, Ings, Firmino, Henderson. You're always going to have trouble scoring when you are missing that much creativity. The goals will come but with your 4th striker playing and your leader in assists last season missing significant time you are going to struggle. If Suarez, Rakitic, Messi were missing for Barcelona they would have trouble scoring as well
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6: Oct 18, 2015 09:09:03 pm
      Sturridge, Benteke, Ings, Firmino, Henderson. You're always going to have trouble scoring when you are missing that much creativity. The goals will come but with your 4th striker playing and your leader in assists last season missing significant time you are going to struggle. If Suarez, Rakitic, Messi were missing for Barcelona they would have trouble scoring as well

Exactly.

It's like, Arsenal without Sanchez, Sanchez, Sanchez and Sanchez. City without Aguero, Bony, Sterling and Toure. Chelsea without Costa, Remy, Pedro and Fabregas, or Man Utd without Rooney, Martial, Depay and Herrera.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #7: Oct 18, 2015 09:25:34 pm
      Give Klopp time for goodness sake! And let's remember, as FMS says, nobody is hailing the result. We're only pleased he got a solid start after only a couple of days training with the squad and given the injuries.

Klopp isn't a magician, talk about the lack of patience if we are supposed to be gutted at a 0-0 to Spurs.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #8: Oct 18, 2015 09:34:36 pm
      Game of such small margins, Origi scores with the header we win the game and this thread does not exist...........
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #9: Oct 18, 2015 09:36:55 pm
      Give Klopp time for goodness sake! And let's remember, as FMS says, nobody is hailing the result. We're only pleased he got a solid start after only a couple of days training with the squad and given the injuries.

Klopp isn't a magician, talk about the lack of patience if we are supposed to be gutted at a 0-0 to Spurs.

Even if we were on top form a 0-0 at Spurs when they're unbeaten in the league is a result you can be happy enough with.

As Jürgen says, when it's 0-0 and you're on the right side of that result (meaning away from home) it's perfectly fine. Win your home games and draw away against the top teams and beating the lower half and you'd win the league. Of course it's overly simplified but it's sound logic.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #10: Oct 18, 2015 09:44:10 pm
      Hey guys i am new
      this is my first topic

Waves  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Anyway my point is this.

Yes i saw a lot of fight in the team, something that had been missing in a long time.
      Yes, i agree that even though mistakes were STILL there,  by and large we defended a lot better.

However the lack of goals/ final product up front is very disturbing, and it sort of shows the low standards that LFC fans have come to excpect over the last year that they were  hailing a 0-0 as a good result.

Yes i know that the main LFC strikers were away, i am not doubting for a second that it is harder to come by goals without top strikers,  but you have guys like 25 mil Lallana, these are people who should be scoring goals in games like these.

Relying on strikers to come back from injury is all too familiar to last years` scenario.

Remember last season where we kept being told when Sturridge is fully fit we will be banging in the goals again?  But nobody ever stopped to think why are we having to rely on one or two people to score the goals?

That is what worrys me the most. And Origi, is not a natural goal scorer, he went 18 consecutive games last season for Lille without scoring, and he missed the pen that got them kicked out of Europe too. He is the last person you want heading you attack.

Sorry to sound pestimistic, sure i saw fight, but the end result was a lackluster 0-0 and the promises of we will score when we get our strikers back,  which again sounds all too familiar to last season,  and secondly begs the question of why are we so reliant on the same one or two players for the goals?

I think you make a very fair point mate, and for me it highlights that for too long as a club we have tolerated sub standard performances from too many of our squad. We hail players as being World beaters as midfielders for example when the reality is I can't remember the last time we had one that could be relied upon to score a goal. Gerrard was the one who carried the team on his back in this sense for many a year, and even last season when he was a shadow of his former self he was still top scorer.

Players such as Coutinho and Can are going to have to do much much more in my eyes in order to be worthy of the praise we heap on them sometimes, while Lallana is another who is far too inconsistent. For me midfield players who aren't absolutely out and out holders (like Lucas is for example) ALL should offer a mild to significant goal threat. Even Lucas ought to score more than goal every ten years, and blokes like Joe Allen, Adam Lallana, Jordan Henderson, Emre Can, Jordan Rossiter, Chiravella, Teixera James Milner and the like ought to be told in no uncertain terms that either scoring goals or at the very least causing goals to be scored is a significant part of their job. Until we do that, we won't score enough goals to be a top team.

That said, I'm confident Jürgen will be onto it, and if this current crop don't provide sufficient threat he'll bring someone in who will. 

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #11: Oct 18, 2015 09:54:21 pm
      I think the o/p makes a good point on the lack of goals problem. I don't see a 0-0 at Spurs as a lackluster result, but I do believe we have a real problem when it come to scoring.

Ings we can basically forget for this season. Firmino we have seen very little of and to base our season on the goals he might or might not score seems a little optimistic at the moment. Benteke will hopefully prove a good partner for Sturridge and will bring some goals to the table, but I am still banking on Sturridge to be the answer to our problem.

Our Attacking mids and midfield just don't get the goals (or at least haven't in the past few years) Henderson 17 goals in 4 seasons (not counting this season) Lucas - 6 years since his last goal. Joe Allen 2 goals in 3 years Coutinho 14 goals in 3 years, Lallana 5 goals last season. Can has been playing mainly in defence so I don't think it fair to include him.

Sturridge if we can keep him fit WILL score goals ... the rest I hope will make a more reasonable contribution.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #12: Oct 18, 2015 09:55:48 pm
      The number of injuries to Firmino, Benteke, Sturridge and Ings who had found the net recently hasn't helped matters. It's hard to make a fair judgement on the goal front because we haven't had a consistent attack this season. Be interesting to see how it changes when we have a fully fit front line.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #13: Oct 18, 2015 10:00:17 pm
      if you look at how hard Jürgen works his players can anyone actually see Daniel being part of his plans he is so fragile. We fu**ed up when Luis went and we havent recovered and when you add what Daniel did in13/14 we are short of two world class strikers if we actually do want to challenge.
      Origi and Benteke are not world class and neither is Ings so its going to be a problem that will need addrssing in january or we will struggle to make top 4. Success does not come cheap
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #14: Oct 18, 2015 10:09:49 pm
      I think we lack a proper box to box goal-scoring midfielder, and have done since Gerrard's legs started to go three or four years ago. The trouble is there aren't many of them around, Aaron Ramsey at Arsenal types are as rare as they are expensive. Looking around our league there are few if any possibilities, although I must confess to always having a feeling that Ramirez from Chelsea could be just the type of player I'm on about if he were played in a more suitable role. He has energy to burn, the pace to arrive when needed, a good dig with either foot and gets back to do the defensive stuff as well. Unfortunately for him, the system Mourinho favours at Chelsea kind of doesn't really have a place for him, so he ends up playing a kind of bit part role. Because of that he'd be pick-uppable without having to absolutely break the bank IMHO, and I think he'd do the job really well.

I do realise of course that the whole post will put me in a minority of one. 
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #15: Oct 18, 2015 10:09:58 pm
      Leave it to Dr Klopp

Take a chill pill.

Doctor?...

The mans a Surgeon.. and Anfield is his operating theatre ...

I've signed my consent form...
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #16: Oct 18, 2015 10:13:55 pm
      In fairness as well as much as I'd love to agree with those who are saying "it's just because we've got injuries", it's worth remembering that for two and a half of Brendans three and a half seasons we didn't score anywhere near enough goals. I remember him commenting  on the need for more goals when he first arrived so I'm assuming that we didn't score enough under the king either. We obviously didn't score enough or do anything enough Hodgson, and I've no idea how many we were scoring under Benitez without checking (and I can't be @rsed to be honest).

This isn't a new phenomenon for us by any means, although it does seem a bit more acute now.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #17: Oct 18, 2015 10:23:24 pm
      I think we lack a proper box to box goal-scoring midfielder, and have done since Gerrard's legs started to go three or four years ago. The trouble is there aren't many of them around, Aaron Ramsey at Arsenal types are as rare as they are expensive. Looking around our league there are few if any possibilities, although I must confess to always having a feeling that Ramirez from Chelsea could be just the type of player I'm on about if he were played in a more suitable role. He has energy to burn, the pace to arrive when needed, a good dig with either foot and gets back to do the defensive stuff as well. Unfortunately for him, the system Mourinho favours at Chelsea kind of doesn't really have a place for him, so he ends up playing a kind of bit part role. Because of that he'd be pick-uppable without having to absolutely break the bank IMHO, and I think he'd do the job really well.

I do realise of course that the whole post will put me in a minority of one. 

FFS sake Mick Ramirez? The only footballer (well maybe apart from Fernandino) who single handidly destroys the myth of Brazilian footballers being skilful..........

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #18: Oct 18, 2015 10:25:41 pm
      FFS sake Mick Ramirez? The only footballer (well maybe apart from Fernandino) who single handidly destroys the myth of Brazilian footballers being skilful..........

I know it's a bit out there mate, just always thought he could do the "box to box score a goal" role.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #19: Oct 18, 2015 10:28:17 pm
      In fairness as well as much as I'd love to agree with those who are saying "it's just because we've got injuries", it's worth remembering that for two and a half of Brendans three and a half seasons we didn't score anywhere near enough goals. I remember him commenting  on the need for more goals when he first arrived so I'm assuming that we didn't score enough under the king either. We obviously didn't score enough or do anything enough Hodgson, and I've no idea how many we were scoring under Benitez without checking (and I can't be @rsed to be honest).

This isn't a new phenomenon for us by any means, although it does seem a bit more acute now.

It isn't a new phenomenon Mick but I'd be more worried if it was still a problem a few months into the new managers reign.

As it is Jürgen has only had one week and one game with this current sqaud so let's see how things pan out in the coming weeks and months.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #20: Oct 18, 2015 10:42:26 pm
      I agree with the OP and Mick and Saint's first posts in here.

If we play a  4-2-3-1 that 3 has to make significant change to our goals for tally.

It isn't good enough, and it's one of the main reasons we've failed to turn draws into wins. Added to that we don't have a talisman, or driver anymore who can change a match on his own (Gerrard), it all leaves us rather toothless and ordinary up top.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #21: Oct 18, 2015 10:52:52 pm
      if you look at how hard Jürgen works his players can anyone actually see Daniel being part of his plans he is so fragile. We fu**ed up when Luis went and we havent recovered and when you add what Daniel did in13/14 we are short of two world class strikers if we actually do want to challenge.
      Origi and Benteke are not world class and neither is Ings so its going to be a problem that will need addrssing in january or we will struggle to make top 4. Success does not come cheap

The biggest problem we have with Sturridge is that we can't build a season around his goals ... because we just don't know how long he will stay fit for. It's not much use having a primary striker that only plays a quarter of the season even if he is prolific.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #22: Oct 18, 2015 11:00:06 pm
      I agree with the OP and Mick and Saint's first posts in here.

If we play a  4-2-3-1 that 3 has to make significant change to our goals for tally.

It isn't good enough, and it's one of the main reasons we've failed to turn draws into wins. Added to that we don't have a talisman, or driver anymore who can change a match on his own (Gerrard), it all leaves us rather toothless and ordinary up top.

All valid and fair points Beer but like I said for me I'd like to see us play a few more games yet under the new manager to see if he can get them producing the goals before worrying too much.

Quick Reply