Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Gerrard return to Anfield as a Player?

Yes.
      (24.4%)
      No.
      (75.6%)

Steven Gerrard (LA Galaxy)

Read 13244 times
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Re: Steven Gerrard / Loan
      Reply #46: Nov 04, 2015 06:10:37 pm
      His fitness levels in no way match those of Lucas, before Stevie left he was treated with kid gloves for that very reason.
      The best coach in the world could not address Stevie's physical issues that stand between him and the rigours of the Prem. League.
      Those years of giving 200% for LFC have taken their toll.
      Those years of giving 200% for LFC and his country have taken their toll.
      While I will agree that he had slowed down considerably , I think to compare him to Lucas is unfair Lucas never has been jet heeled or a bomb forward midfielder , very rarely makes a goal or goal scoring opportunity  , he is good at what he does but they are like chalk and cheese mate .
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #47: Nov 04, 2015 06:27:54 pm
      While I will agree that he had slowed down considerably , I think to compare him to Lucas is unfair Lucas never has been jet heeled or a bomb forward midfielder , very rarely makes a goal or goal scoring opportunity  , he is good at what he does but they are like chalk and cheese mate .

Of course Andy and I was essentially referring to stamina levels, SG was even having problems in 2nd gear, Lucas can do it all day at that rate.

Klopp on Steven Gerrard return (in press conference): “Absolutely if he wants to train our door is open, but nothing else.”

via James Pearce twitter.

So that's that dealt with then.

Fazakerley.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #48: Nov 04, 2015 06:46:44 pm
      Klopp on Steven Gerrard return (in press conference): “Absolutely if he wants to train our door is open, but nothing else.”

Never leaves anything to ambiguity does he  :D
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #49: Nov 04, 2015 06:54:51 pm
      Never leaves anything to ambiguity does he  :D

Which is why I get puzzled by people "reading between the lines" like they did when he spoke about mourinho last week.

There is no "between the lines"; Klopp says exactly what he thinks.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #50: Nov 04, 2015 07:05:55 pm
      Which is why I get puzzled by people "reading between the lines" like they did when he spoke about mourinho last week.

There is no "between the lines"; Klopp says exactly what he thinks.

He's a breath of fresh air mate. 
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #51: Nov 04, 2015 07:08:56 pm
      If the he wants to come and train with the lads no problem,even training with the youth lads to listen and watch him for his total professionalism then fine.
      To come back into the team no way.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #52: Nov 04, 2015 07:19:21 pm
      If the he wants to come and train with the lads no problem,even training with the youth lads to listen and watch him for his total professionalism then fine.
      To come back into the team no way.

What is there to listen to? Heard it so many times that it seems patronising to our young players.

Wouldn't it be more ideal if the yougnsters listened to and became inspired by, ohhhh I don't know....a two time Bundesliga CL finalist coach?

What can Gerrard tell them that Klopp can't?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #53: Nov 04, 2015 07:37:57 pm
      He's a breath of fresh air mate.

Just posted those exact words in another thread.
      The difference is it's mates who support other clubs saying it.
      They even go out of their way to watch his pressers and interviews.
      Amazing really when you think about it.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #54: Nov 04, 2015 07:41:40 pm

Excellent. We can move on from this pathetic fantastical charade.

Klopp doesn't owe Gerrard anything. He doesn't owe him a place on the squad team sheet, and he doesn't owe him a place on the coaching bench.

Gerrard doesn't have a right to walk in to a coaching job when a better more astute coach is available. Nobody is bigger than the club, and Gerrard shouldn't ever think Liverpool owe him. That goes for any legend at any club. Coaching is a meritocracy where you prove yourself from the bottom upwards. The backroom staff of Buvac, Krawietz and Linjders prove this with proven credentials at other clubs.

Great player, great memories, but if people really think he has the astute observations required of coaching when he wanted Curbishley as manager in 2004 and slated our most cherished manager in 25 years in his clusterfuck of an autobiography, then they really are deluded.

Make your mark at a lower club Stevie. Just like any other coach. If he comes back, he comes back with a wealth of experience and knowledge required to coach at Liverpool. If he doesn't do that, he has no right coming to coach us. That is the harsh reality of football, and we won't move forward with that kind of sentiment.

As Klopp said, history should provide a foundation but shouldn't be a backpack which weighs us down. Leave Gerrard in the backpack please.

P.S. If anyone disregards the importance of coaching, and thinks it is mere anti-intellectual shouting and bawling at players (which any half-wit could do), then read this lengthy blog post on Lijnders methods. I hardly think Gerrard could present such a worthy portfolio. http://bentocorner.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/pepijn-lijnders-further-implements-his.html

brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #55: Nov 04, 2015 07:46:22 pm
      What is there to listen to? Heard it so many times that it seems patronising to our young players.

Wouldn't it be more ideal if the yougnsters listened to and became inspired by, ohhhh I don't know....a two time Bundesliga CL finalist coach?

What can Gerrard tell them that Klopp can't?

Hmm I just mean having Gerrard around the youngsters couldn't hurt could it?
      Having a player of that calibre giving his thoughts would surely be good for them.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #56: Nov 04, 2015 07:47:51 pm
      No one knows that better than the man himself mate, two chances of him playing for LFC - a dog's chance etc etc.

Very true, but he's got to be thinking he doesn't have the legs for Klopp's style.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #57: Nov 04, 2015 10:22:57 pm
      Just wondering if you lads are thinking along the same lines of myself (disruption) or if you had other issues regarding the training.

Disruption.  If we had appointed a new captain with the massive support of the fans  then it would be less of a problem.  But we've got a relatively young lad in as captain learning the ropes - a vice-captain that many think has been promoted too quick - don't think under those circumstances it would be good having a former captain, especially such a long-serving and successful one, in there at this moment in time.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #58: Nov 04, 2015 11:09:30 pm
      F**k me? Something I agree with from federer?!

do you feel dirty.
      I voted no because we need to move forward and Stevie needs to be in our past our glorious past thanks to him.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #59: Nov 05, 2015 11:19:42 am
      Disruption.  If we had appointed a new captain with the massive support of the fans  then it would be less of a problem.  But we've got a relatively young lad in as captain learning the ropes - a vice-captain that many think has been promoted too quick - don't think under those circumstances it would be good having a former captain, especially such a long-serving and successful one, in there at this moment in time.

Good point.
      I hadn't considered the captaincy angle.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #60: Nov 05, 2015 02:52:55 pm
      Thankfully, most people don't want Stevie back on loan. For the few that do, please go and watch some of his MLS matches. Underwhelming, to say the least, in a supposedly "terrible" league.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #61: Nov 05, 2015 08:37:22 pm
      if he packs in playing and comes in to work with the kids then great but I dont think he should be anywhere near the first team.remember when Shankly left or rather wouldnt leave it caused a lot of grief for Sir Bob. Thanks but no thanks
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #62: Nov 05, 2015 09:16:17 pm
      Not sure that I agree with most on here, what a forum is all about I guess...

Would I have him back to play a few games - yes. Would it be hard for him, yes - god yes under this new style. But the experience he has on the pitch would be invaluable. Tonight, the last 10 to 15 mins would have been perfect for him - and his still more than adequate range of passing and accuracy. There were chances to totally split that defence tonight with runners - and Gerrard could have done that.

He will never be the player he was 10 years ago - but could he do a job, yes. Post that move into a coaching role... As for a shadow over Klopp, not a chance he would cast that. 
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #63: Nov 05, 2015 09:43:07 pm
      Not sure that I agree with most on here, what a forum is all about I guess...

Would I have him back to play a few games - yes. Would it be hard for him, yes - god yes under this new style. But the experience he has on the pitch would be invaluable. Tonight, the last 10 to 15 mins would have been perfect for him - and his still more than adequate range of passing and accuracy. There were chances to totally split that defence tonight with runners - and Gerrard could have done that.

He will never be the player he was 10 years ago - but could he do a job, yes. Post that move into a coaching role... As for a shadow over Klopp, not a chance he would cast that. 

The thing is though, it isn't happening. I don't see the point in bringing him back if like you say, it'll be hard for him. Would we bring anybody else to the club if it was hard for them? No. I don't see why we should just because he's Steven Gerrard. The thing with Gerrard's passing too is that he tries so many hollywood balls and during his last season at Liverpool it lost us possession a fair bit so it sort of conflicts with Klopp's style of play.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #64: Nov 05, 2015 09:55:37 pm
      The thing is though, it isn't happening. I don't see the point in bringing him back if like you say, it'll be hard for him. Would we bring anybody else to the club if it was hard for them? No. I don't see why we should just because he's Steven Gerrard. The thing with Gerrard's passing too is that he tries so many hollywood balls and during his last season at Liverpool it lost us possession a fair bit so it sort of conflicts with Klopp's style of play.

New manager - new style... Klopp has changed a lot of opinions on players - perhaps not ours so much... For Example

Sakho - now comfortable on the ball
      Allen - not our best player but looks a lot better now
      Lukas - looks the player we all knew he could be
      Migs - assured and coming out got crosses and long balls
      Sktrle - rock (especially against Costa last week)

I take your point about why take a player who may struggle. But, that being said most players would struggle with this style and most don't have Gerrards ability. Last season under BR dosent mean a lot - and his 'hollywood' passes, well im not so sure. He is one of the best passers out there.

If Klopp thinks there is a role for him on the pitch I would have total faith in both of them.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #65: Nov 05, 2015 10:11:41 pm

Sakho - now comfortable on the ball
      Lukas - looks the player we all knew he could be

See just those couple of bullet points and most people won't take you seriously because they are playing no different under Klopp than they were for Rodgers.

Oh and it's Lucas btw.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,886 posts | 6818 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #66: Nov 06, 2015 05:13:37 am
      If JĂźrgen thinks it's a good idea, I back the Manager. He hasn't done anything wrong so far so long may this continue.

Love to see Stevie back at Anfield in any capacity.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #67: Nov 06, 2015 07:20:15 am
      See just those couple of bullet points and most people won't take you seriously because they are playing no different under Klopp than they were for Rodgers.

Unless they read my post properly of course...

New manager - new style... Klopp has changed a lot of opinions on players - perhaps not ours so much...

I am sure that you watch most games, and I am sure that you will agree that under Rodgers Sakho didn't get a run of games (there fore playing very differently as in actually playing under Klopp!) - and when he did although he played well he was not as good as he is playing now.

Lucas was almost sold by Rodgers too after some performances that he clearly didn't rate. I am sure the you heard people saying things like 'he has no pace, his legs have gone' etc etc.

My point is that a new manager could play Gerrard in a new role that suits him and the team and with his undoubted quality he could be a great addition. Why people are writing him off is beyond me, and to write him off after one season where we were rubbish - or even because he was a great player for us is just silly.

nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #68: Nov 06, 2015 12:51:02 pm
      Overwhelming no, and correctly so IMHO

Pretty much had the worst season of his career during his final year here, underperforming, trying too hard, losing his cool in big games.

If he hasn’t set the MLS on fire then he won’t make a decent impact in the Premier League as he is clearly unwilling to accept a position as an impact player.

Let’s just let it go and bring him back in a managerial position in a few years.
      « Last Edit: Nov 06, 2015 01:30:27 pm by nnilswerdna »

Quick Reply