Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Leicester City

Read 57898 times
      Lfclee
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts |
      Re: Leicester City thread
      Reply #92: Mar 03, 2016 03:00:10 pm
      Out of the Current top 4 i would prefer to see leicester win the league, They deserve it after the season they have had, Their starting 11 cost them about 22m so just shows you dont need to splash all the cash to be succsesfull
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #93: Mar 08, 2016 11:22:59 am
      There's no doubt that a situation where Leicester winning the PL is good for football, but what about the top level teams.

Currently the English teams competing in European competitions have fallen behind their Spanish and German counterparts, the Italians are catching up and PSG are becoming a bigger force every year.

Leicester winning the league will attract many mid and low level players to Premier League clubs that would normally be mid table and relegation candidates in the hope of achieving European qualification or even title challenges such as Leicester.

But what effect will it have on top players currently playing abroad? Will they be attracted to clubs such as Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City etc when they can’t even pip Leicester to the title over the course of a full season or will they be drawn to the powerhouses in the Spanish and German leagues, who win titles and compete in the CL?

Of course the money of the PL will always be a draw for certain types of players, but top players will want to compete domestically and in Europe and this could be a deciding factor in their choices.

As the standard of the PL slips so will the money it creates…
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #94: Mar 08, 2016 12:57:41 pm
      There's no doubt that a situation where Leicester winning the PL is good for football, but what about the top level teams.

Currently the English teams competing in European competitions have fallen behind their Spanish and German counterparts, the Italians are catching up and PSG are becoming a bigger force every year.

Leicester winning the league will attract many mid and low level players to Premier League clubs that would normally be mid table and relegation candidates in the hope of achieving European qualification or even title challenges such as Leicester.

But what effect will it have on top players currently playing abroad? Will they be attracted to clubs such as Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City etc when they can’t even pip Leicester to the title over the course of a full season or will they be drawn to the powerhouses in the Spanish and German leagues, who win titles and compete in the CL?

Of course the money of the PL will always be a draw for certain types of players, but top players will want to compete domestically and in Europe and this could be a deciding factor in their choices.

As the standard of the PL slips so will the money it creates…

People are bricking it because there's a chance the EPL will lose that 4th champions league place to the serie a and the likes of Leicester in the ucl aren't going to do better than Juve and Napoli.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #95: Mar 08, 2016 01:22:22 pm
      People are bricking it because there's a chance the EPL will lose that 4th champions league place to the serie a and the likes of Leicester in the ucl aren't going to do better than Juve and Napoli.

Let's see before we judge, Man Utd went out of the group stages, Napoli were knocked off by Bilbao in the playoff, there isn't a guarantee that Leicester won't do better than these 2.

Maybe Leicester winning the EPL will wake the giants and they will invest more to make sure this never repeats.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #96: Mar 08, 2016 02:24:32 pm

Farcical that 4th even gets a CL spot if we're being honest.

Leicester may not do better than Juve or Napoli, but they'd probably do better than us or United would have this season in it?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #97: Mar 08, 2016 02:39:42 pm
      I seem to remember many, many moons ago Norwich made it into the CL/European Cup and drew Bayern, can't remember if it was in the group stages or knock outs before the groups were introduced.

Most people gave them no chance at all but I'm sure they beat them and beat them well.

If Ranieri's still with them and they keep the squad together, or even improve it, Leicester have a very good chance of doing well, especially if they go into Pot 1 as Champions.

As for the coefficient, at least they'll take it seriously unlike West Ham who got a free pass into the Europa this season and basically tossed it off by playing the kids in the qualifiers.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #98: Mar 08, 2016 02:45:14 pm
      Farcical that 4th even gets a CL spot if we're being honest.

Leicester may not do better than Juve or Napoli, but they'd probably do better than us or United would have this season in it?

They've been incredibly lucky with injuries this season and have used the same 11 for most of this season. They're going to need to recruit well in the summer to increase their depth and next season rotation is going to be vital. Can they do it successfully?
      biki
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #99: Mar 08, 2016 03:03:08 pm
      They've been incredibly lucky with injuries this season and have used the same 11 for most of this season. They're going to need to recruit well in the summer to increase their depth and next season rotation is going to be vital. Can they do it successfully?

I think they will keep Vardy but lose players such as Mahrez, Kante etc. I don't think they will be the same team next season at all
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #100: Mar 08, 2016 04:55:34 pm
      Maybe Leicester winning the EPL will wake the giants and they will invest more to make sure this never repeats.

And back to money we go!!

Absolutely made up at the way Leicester have gone about things, would be a nice bloody nose to those who think money = success.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #101: Mar 08, 2016 06:41:12 pm
      I think they will keep Vardy but lose players such as Mahrez, Kante etc. I don't think they will be the same team next season at all
      i disagree. Why would players leave when they are getting first team football in champions league. I am sure they will want to play CL for the club they earnt it for.  Leicester will have no trouble adding to their team if they find a weakness and will likely have sponsors fighting for their name on leicester shirts, tv deals and league bonus.... the fact that whole team cost 22m.. according to financial fair play they have the best  buying power in the league.
      biki
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #102: Mar 08, 2016 07:05:01 pm
      i disagree. Why would players leave when they are getting first team football in champions league. I am sure they will want to play CL for the club they earnt it for.  Leicester will have no trouble adding to their team if they find a weakness and will likely have sponsors fighting for their name on leicester shirts, tv deals and league bonus.... the fact that whole team cost 22m.. according to financial fair play they have the best  buying power in the league.

Because I don't think everyone missed that 11 players are title winning players and seriously undervalued them and under estimated their ability. Leicester are an anomaly, they won't challenge for the league again next year and their European outings will be short lived. The players will know this and will look to cash in when they can and get a far better contract at a better club. An example of this would be Charlie Adam and some one who missed their chance is Michu.

That's just my view, I know lots of others will disagree with me and believe that the Leicester squad is better than I believe it to be.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #103: Mar 08, 2016 07:49:19 pm
      Rather see them win it than anyone else but at the same time, a small part of me hopes they don't because it will be yet another team to win the league whilst we haven't. Also means we will continue to be the team that were top at Xmas but failed to win it.

But, they will be like Montpellier, win the league unexpectedly but be back to struggling the following season. There's no way they wil keep hold of Mahrez this summer and as soon as he goes I can see them struggling. They may win the league but they still won't have the attraction of the big time players IMO.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #104: Mar 08, 2016 10:19:13 pm
      I seem to remember many, many moons ago Norwich made it into the CL/European Cup and drew Bayern, can't remember if it was in the group stages or knock outs before the groups were introduced.

Im pretty sure that was the UEFA cup, they beat Bayern I think but lost to Inter who had Denis Bergkamp in their team. Aston Villa were quite successful also at that time. I may be wrong (probably am!)

As for Leicester, I hope they do win it. In a time when money is ruining the game, Leicester winning the game is a big middle finger up to all these rich clubs who want to buy success rather than earn it.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #105: Mar 08, 2016 11:18:52 pm
      Rather see them win it than anyone else but at the same time, a small part of me hopes they don't because it will be yet another team to win the league whilst we haven't.

At first, I really wanted Leicester to pull it off, but with each result they keep getting I find myself thinking more along these lines.

It should serve as hope for us -- "Even Leicester can win the league!" -- but there's something about the club that always manages to have some kind of a failure up its sleeve.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #106: Mar 08, 2016 11:55:42 pm
      Because I don't think everyone missed that 11 players are title winning players and seriously undervalued them and under estimated their ability. Leicester are an anomaly, they won't challenge for the league again next year and their European outings will be short lived. The players will know this and will look to cash in when they can and get a far better contract at a better club. An example of this would be Charlie Adam and some one who missed their chance is Michu.

That's just my view, I know lots of others will disagree with me and believe that the Leicester squad is better than I believe it to be.
      What are you basing that on? you have no evidence to prove the theory. I know something like that happened in the French league, but that is not the premiership. It is different to finish above Lyon etc.. than Arsenal and City. Leicester City are big prize money and if they re invest they could stay good. Man City were in league 2 not so long back, until 2010 man city didn't even finish regularly in the top half of the table... it was often in the lower half..it might come as a surprise to you that Nottingham Forest were once European champions, so have Aston Villa been..... these power shifts happen every so often. Chelsea and United are slipping. Man United have been slipping for some time, as we did... do you think other teams won't take advantage? There is absolutely no reason Leicester City can't re invest prize money, tv deal, sponsorships that could add up to 250m+ since they only spend 22m on their team so they are quite well in with FFP. Real Madrid and selling upto 9 players in the summer in a clear out. Don't rule out some of them being in a Leicester shirt next season. Mahrez and Vardy with some talent from Madrid? still think they would be a one season wonder? I certainly don't.
      Kopite78
      Reply #107: Mar 09, 2016 07:08:16 am
      What are you basing that on? you have no evidence to prove the theory. I know something like that happened in the French league, but that is not the premiership. It is different to finish above Lyon etc.. than Arsenal and City. Leicester City are big prize money and if they re invest they could stay good. Man City were in league 2 not so long back, until 2010 man city didn't even finish regularly in the top half of the table... it was often in the lower half..it might come as a surprise to you that Nottingham Forest were once European champions, so have Aston Villa been..... these power shifts happen every so often. Chelsea and United are slipping. Man United have been slipping for some time, as we did... do you think other teams won't take advantage? There is absolutely no reason Leicester City can't re invest prize money, tv deal, sponsorships that could add up to 250m+ since they only spend 22m on their team so they are quite well in with FFP. Real Madrid and selling upto 9 players in the summer in a clear out. Don't rule out some of them being in a Leicester shirt next season. Mahrez and Vardy with some talent from Madrid? still think they would be a one season wonder? I certainly don't.

No chance buddy

Football has changed irrevocably since the days of Forest winning two European cups..

The biggest change? Money.

There is no way that Leicester will smash their wage structure this summer to bring in the likes you are suggesting, and there is even less chance that Madrid players swap Real for the East Midlands. They will go to bigger names in the game, as always happens,  Leicester being in the CL as a one off won't attract the cream of the game.. That's fanciful.

Leicester will fall back into the league next season, the old order will be repeated, the thought that James Rodriguez or whoever that might be leaving Real pop up knocking round the East Midlands is something that is bourne from football manager

They will try to unearth more Vardy's and Mahrez types than break their wage structure.

No way they go on a 250m spending spree this summer.

Im pretty sure that was the UEFA cup, they beat Bayern I think but lost to Inter who had Denis Bergkamp in their team. Aston Villa were quite successful also at that time. I may be wrong (probably am!)

As for Leicester, I hope they do win it. In a time when money is ruining the game, Leicester winning the game is a big middle finger up to all these rich clubs who want to buy success rather than earn it.

I remember the famous Jeremy Goss goal at Bayern, volley from the edge of the box.. Early 90's time. That I think was the winner over in Germany, they won 2-1?

Think you're right they went out next round to Inter who went on to win it I think?

Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #108: Mar 09, 2016 08:23:14 am
      You ae confusing the word no with some. There is some chance, to suggest there would be no chance would be saying it is impossible rather than improbable. I understand why people think it would be improbable... Leicester must have a great scouting team to produce what they have and there is more chance of mass exodus and United and Chelsea than Leicester. Will Mahrez go to United or Chelsea or likey Liverpool where there is no CL football and players at Chelsea like Hazard, Costa etc... left? Doubt it. Will Arsenal splash big cash to get them? Doubt it. Will they go to Man City rather than Leicester City to sit on the bench? Doubt it. Will they want to leave the premier league? They would have to be something outrageous. I kind of Echo other peoples opinions... they have been lucky with injuries and played near enough the same first 11 and if they can use some money to add depth... the battle for 4th has got tougher for the foreseeable future. The requirement for a bigger team because of CL football means Leicester will increase in squad size and they are going to have to change their wage structure. This team is a league winning side so will get major pay increase and Leicester can afford it now. They can't run a team on 22m forever, especially when they are getting over 10% that in revenue now. You seen to forget that player wages naturally go up with success. At Liverpool this happens too... most our successful players have had pay rises or they would not stay so it is a no Brainer the wage structure will change.
      Kopite78
      Reply #109: Mar 09, 2016 09:11:21 am
      You ae confusing the word no with some. There is some chance, to suggest there would be no chance would be saying it is impossible rather than improbable. I understand why people think it would be improbable... Leicester must have a great scouting team to produce what they have and there is more chance of mass exodus and United and Chelsea than Leicester. Will Mahrez go to United or Chelsea or likey Liverpool where there is no CL football and players at Chelsea like Hazard, Costa etc... left? Doubt it. Will Arsenal splash big cash to get them? Doubt it. Will they go to Man City rather than Leicester City to sit on the bench? Doubt it. Will they want to leave the premier league? They would have to be something outrageous. I kind of Echo other peoples opinions... they have been lucky with injuries and played near enough the same first 11 and if they can use some money to add depth... the battle for 4th has got tougher for the foreseeable future. The requirement for a bigger team because of CL football means Leicester will increase in squad size and they are going to have to change their wage structure. This team is a league winning side so will get major pay increase and Leicester can afford it now. They can't run a team on 22m forever, especially when they are getting over 10% that in revenue now. You seen to forget that player wages naturally go up with success. At Liverpool this happens too... most our successful players have had pay rises or they would not stay so it is a no Brainer the wage structure will change.

You are talking a 10%/15%/20% pay rise on to their very average ( in comparison ) wages..

Looking at Sportek for their wages this season their average weekly wage of their main starting 11 is 38k a week prior to the wage rises this season given to Mahrez, Kante and Vardy which even after that rises to 46k

They are all around that figure, the odd exception below like Morgan on 30 and the odd higher like Okazaki 50

Even if they give them as a squad a 20% pay rise the average goes up to around 56k a week, and it's unlikely they will do that imo as I think it's more likely they give them a bonus related deal to what they achieve in the CL

If you think that either
      A: Top players in the world game go to a shot in the pan club that they have never heard of that's wage structure averages around 56k a week
      Or
      B: Leiecster decide to break that completely and risk the future of the club, or a player disruption and start giving players 200-300% higher than the average then honestly mate.. It's the real world not a game

These players have done great this year, wonderful but if we are completely honest there is more chance they struggle next season than over achieve again. The owners will look at a worst case scenario that if they went tits up and relegated what would they do with that inflated wage bill then?

When we got back in the champions league we didn't tempt the level of player here that you are suggesting might go to Leiecster

And Mahrez? Currently on 55k a week? I'm suggesting yes if a team came and offered him triple his wages to move then I don't think he stays at Leicester no matter if they play a few CL games next season
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #110: Mar 09, 2016 09:26:58 am
      And Mahrez? Currently on 55k a week? I'm suggesting yes if a team came and offered him triple his wages to move then I don't think he stays at Leicester no matter if they play a few CL games next season
      That is the same reason Leicester will have to increase his pay, same as we increase Suarez pay, same as United increased Rooney's pay... this is football. I can name plenty of good players that went to teams when their circumstances just changed.  Bridge, Milner, Aguero, Silva, Nasri, Barry, Hart, Toure, Tevez pretty much all joined City around the same time when they had won nothing and were not even a top four team. I doubt Leicester will sign so many like this, but I think they will sign sensible marquee players to bolster their first 11. Playing Champions League football for any premiership side is a real attraction to top players. If you think Leicester will go through the summer not signing players to bolster their team and giving out deserved pay rises to level out the pay structure with new signings with the 250m+ they will generate with prize money, TV deals and sponsonships then hang your head in shame and just admit you know nothing about football management.

« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2016 09:38:49 am by Ribapuru »
      Kopite78
      Reply #111: Mar 09, 2016 09:35:39 am
      That is the same reason Leicester will have to increase his pay, same as we increase Suarez pay, same as United increased Roony's pay... this is football. I can name plenty of good players that went to teams when their circumstances just changed.  Bridge, Milner, Aguero, Silva, Nasri, Barry, Hart, Toure, Tevez pretty much all joined City around the same time when they had won nothing and were not even a top four team.

He's signed a new deal this season, to 55k from 20k very recently.

City were being bank rolled by an Arab Sheikh, Leicester aren't, Leicester have had a good season and overachieved, they are more likely to bank the cash for the most part to secure the club than throw it all at trying to compete with those sides backed by Shiekh's and Oil barons that they will never be able to live with long term.

Wigan, Portsmouth both won an FA cup, Portsmouth tried to over stretch.
      Leeds were (and are) a bigger renowned club in the game and they tried to overstretch to stay in the CL.. Look where those clubs are now, two of them nearly disappeared completely. Leicester won't make that same mistake I'm sure.
      Listen to what's comes from them? That their goal was to get enough points to not get relegated, that ultimately won't change next season.

Let's see what happens over the summer and into next season.

My prediction? James and Ronaldo aren't at the king power and Leicester are mid table at best.
      Vardy does a Michu in his second season and doesn't get into double figures.. Leicester fabs two years down the line wonder why they are paying a 31 year old who had one good season 80k a week for another couple of years.

Of course they will spend, but it will be on unearthing the next Mahrez and not signing world class established players.. Who won't entertain going there.
      If you think the Leicester owners will start paying players in excess of 150k a week then my knowledge of football management I'm comfortable with buddy

My heads fine in the real world

It's nothing to do with being punished by UEFA.. It's about sustainability and attraction for the players

I'm going to leave it there.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #112: Mar 09, 2016 09:41:24 am
      He's signed a new deal this season, to 55k from 20k very recently.

City were being bank rolled by an Arab Sheikh, Leicester aren't, Leicester have had a good season and overachieved, they are more likely to bank the cash for the most part to secure the club than throw it all at trying to compete with those sides backed by Shiekh's and Oil barons that they will never be able to live with long term.

Leeds were (and are) a bigger renowned club in the game and they tried to overstretch to stay in the CL.. Look where those clubs are now, two of them nearly disappeared completely. Leicester won't make that same mistake I'm sure.
      Listen to what's comes from them? That their goal was to get enough points to not get relegated, that ultimately won't change next season.

Let's see what happens over the summer and into next season.

My prediction? James and Ronaldo aren't at the king power and Leicester are mid table at best.
      Vardy does a Michu in his second season and doesn't get into double figures.. Leicester fabs two years down the line wonder why they are paying a 31 year old who had one good season 80k a week for another couple of years.

Of course they will spend, but it will be on unearthing the next Mahrez and not signing world class established players.. Who won't entertain going there.
      If you think the Leicester owners will start paying players in excess of 150k a week then my knowledge of football management I'm comfortable with buddy

My heads fine in the real world
      I feel like I am repeating myself here. What makes this unique and dangerous to rivals is  Leicester have a massive advantage over rival teams. FFP means teams like Chelsea and Man City have to balance the books carefully. Leicester City built a whole squad for the price of one of their rivals average players, we spent more on for example, Lallana than Leicester did for their whole team. That means Leicester can afford to pay if they need to without getting penalized by Uefa but their rivals can't. Being Bank rolled by a big chairmen doesn't help as much since FFP. Why do you think Chelsea have had to slow down on signings? Look at the financial mess City were in even with their money.
      Kopite78
      Reply #113: Mar 09, 2016 09:46:32 am
      I feel like I am repeating myself here. What makes this unique and dangerous to rivals is  Leicester have a massive advantage over rival teams. FFP means teams like Chelsea and Man City have to balance the books carefully. Leicester City built a whole squad for the price of one of their rivals average players, we spent more on for example, Lallana than Leicester did for their whole team. That means Leicester can afford to pay if they need to without getting penalized by Uefa but their rivals can't. Being Bank rolled by a big chairmen doesn't help as much since FFP. Why do you think Chelsea have had to slow down on signings? Look at the financial mess City were in even with their money.

FFP is a farce to the big clubs who just sponsor a toilet door for 700m to get around it.

Again it's attraction.

City being owned by a Sheikh is more appealing because it shows the players that it's a long term thing, a sustainable source of money to continue to grow and attract the better players and managers.
      Leicester having a flash in the pan season and having excellent books for FFP because they are built on very little isn't the same attraction.
      This isn't the beginning of the next Man City

Chelsea have never signed that top cream of the crop player they want, a Messi or whoever.. They go the next run down the ladder for the most part

It's a trickle down and those players you are suggesting won't look at Leiecster City

Like I say I'll leave it there, as I really don't want you to have to keep repeating your point.. As fascinating as it is

If you want a friendly bet to charity on it I'm happy to go with that though mate
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #114: Mar 09, 2016 09:51:21 am
      Done discussing this, your are clearly talking crap now. You are comparing FA cup win to winning the league. Wigan and Portsmouth managed their side specifically to focus on the FA cup...like we did when we won the Champions League in 2005.... this doesn't mean they were the best team.. it means they were most focused on the cup, winning the FA cup doesn't get you into the CL, nor is the prize money anywhere as big is finishing higher in the league, not does it get as big TV deals. Cups are prone to upsets because of the top teams having a bad day and getting knocked out of a cup. League is based on consistency so it is much less likely a team can win from luck alone. Now if you are thinking about winning the league only needs the same quality as a cup this is where you think different than me and probably most people... the reason why lesser clubs will focus on a cup is because they have a chance compared to no chance in the league. You even said yourself in those examples, terrible teams in the league that got lucky in cups. Anyone thinking Leicester are at the top because of luck... done discussing football with them since it is like talking about Graph Theory to a Cat.

Quick Reply