Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 5th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W9 D6 L6

Your football league team

Read 1557 times
      FanBoy
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      Your football league team
      Jan 19, 2016 02:02:11 pm
      I might be completely on my own here, but I will admit to you all that LFC are the team I 'follow'.

I was wondering if there are any others out there that follow a football league, or of course non-league team.

By birth I am a Bristol Rovers fan, and have had a season ticket for 10 years this year (i'm only 22 so that's pretty good going I like to think!).

Things have been very hard as a Rovers fan for the last few years. In my first year as a ST holder I saw us win promotion to League One, and we even reached the FA Cup quarter finals. Since then, we were relegated to League Two, and though we aimed to return to League One at the first attempt, a few years later we found ourselves in the Vanarama Conference for the first time in our history (formed 1883).

Nevertheless we battled back last year, and after what was a horrible experience in non league, we won promotion on penalties in the play offs at the first attempt. We now find ourselves up to 4th in League Two and pushing hard for a promotion to League One.

Apologies if this is of no interest to you all but figured it was worth a discussion!

UTG / YNWA

(UTG = Up The Gas!)
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Your football league team
      Reply #1: Jan 19, 2016 08:55:50 pm
      I follow Cliftonville FC of Belfast. The standard of football in the Irish league would be around league1 or 2 level, but occasionally we do get the odd standout player. Liam Boyce of Ross County, and Joe (the goal) Gormley of Peterborough, were the standout players in the league when they played for us. Both of them still take an interest in the club on twitter.
      FanBoy
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      Reply #2: Jan 20, 2016 10:48:11 am
      I follow Cliftonville FC of Belfast. The standard of football in the Irish league would be around league1 or 2 level, but occasionally we do get the odd standout player. Liam Boyce of Ross County, and Joe (the goal) Gormley of Peterborough, were the standout players in the league when they played for us. Both of them still take an interest in the club on twitter.

My team Rovers have just signed a player called Rory Gaffney, who has recently moved over to the english leagues from Limerick :)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3: Jan 21, 2016 07:28:57 pm
      I do have a soft spot for Carlisle United. Was on holiday near Lake District with family when younger and attended a match at Brunton Park. Wonderful experience is English league football and would recommend it to anyone. Brilliant to see how the club responded and helped out in the aftermath of December's shocking floods there. Of course, they play Everton at home in the next round so naturally, I desperately would love to see them do the truly brilliant act of sending them crashing out! Would love to experience more English football league grounds though. I think it's something England has over any other football nation - the passion, dedication and competitiveness of the lower leagues. A lot of the stadiums as well have such character and you compare them to some soulless concrete bowl in Spain or Italy (or even the Etihad in Manchester which is built in some ex industrial wasteland) and you value the importance of the old stadium built among the people.

There's a humble sense of community in so many of these grounds but I don't know if I would get from more modern stadiums across English football. It's why Anfield is so beautiful! Despite the humble surroundings, heroes, greatness and cherished memories have arisen from it. So naturally it was a relief to see FSG confirm that Liverpool would stay at Anfield for that reason! When you reflect and remember walking up those streets up towards the stadium, you think of all those feet who have trodden those paths making the same journey come rain or shine and the lives that were lived behind every door you pass. You realise that it is as much part of match day as is the football and should be valued. It'd be great to see those streets regenerated and hopefully The Anfield Project will continue it's aims and do that and restore a vibrancy and life to the area.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,283 posts | 4938 
      Reply #4: Jan 21, 2016 10:42:31 pm

Liam Boyce is a cracking wee player OR.

No other team for me though.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #5: Jan 21, 2016 10:54:37 pm
      Liam Boyce is a cracking wee player OR.

No other team for me though.

I'd really love him to get some game time at the Euros, no reason why he shouldn't start ahead of Lafferty, he's flying for Ross County.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,283 posts | 4938 
      Reply #6: Jan 21, 2016 11:00:24 pm
      I'd really love him to get some game time at the Euros, no reason why he shouldn't start ahead of Lafferty, he's flying for Ross County.

Agree.

Quick Reply