Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (2.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (1.1%)
      Dejan Lovren
      4 (4.3%)
      Martin Skrtel
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      4 (4.3%)
      James Milner
      4 (4.3%)
      Emre Can
      14 (14.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      34 (36.2%)
      Adam Lallana
      4 (4.3%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Christian Benteke
      0 (0%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      27 (28.7%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Voting closed: Dec 19, 2015 06:05:00 pm

Liverpool 2-2 West Brom: In game and Post match debate

Read 34750 times
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 West Brom: In game and Post match debate
      Reply #575: Dec 13, 2015 11:12:07 pm
      Just got in from the game bad smash on the way home , read through a few posts Funny how the game seems a whole lot different when you watch it live ,

Won't go through rating all the players most were ok without  being anything special will mention three though

Big Ben like a fookin robot on the field no better or quicker than Carroll has been a beast when playing for villa against us can't decide if that was our defenders being sh*t or him putting in more effort , he needs to really up his performance levels poor all game and a sh*t first touch ,

Milner didn't like it when we acquired him and he's done nothing to change my mind sure he will run all day but there is fck all end product and loses the ball far too often don't think he will last long under Klopp unless there is  a big improvement ,

Mignolet what can be said liability of a keeper, reminds me of flapper James , you just got to shut your eyes when the ball gets swung in , not good enough for any team with aspirations of winning the league .

Finally Klopp what can you say a class act gets a free ride from me till he can sort out the rank average players he has to deal with . Only fault I thought was playing Ben with no wide men , saying that he was so static I don't know if  it would have mattered , we deserved at the very least a point I thought the fans got angrier and louder towards the end with the thought of being mugged by a sh*t football team who only came to hack and kill the game , well done to Origi who could have stayed down but had the bollox to ride the challenge and get a shot away .

Was good to see mr Batez again lookin good fella one day will stay for a proper bevy ,
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #576: Dec 13, 2015 11:14:58 pm
      I can't believe you're shocked by it. He's the worst pundit on TV by some way.

I rarely watch MoTD. So yes, I was shocked. They pay him to talk utter sh*te? No wonder the beeb isn't taken seriously.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #577: Dec 13, 2015 11:17:39 pm
      Can't believe on MoTD that Shearer actually thinks there was nothing wrong with Gardners "tackle" on Lovren.

He is also thought he could save Newcastle from relegation.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #578: Dec 13, 2015 11:18:36 pm
      Shearer has a head like a Peanut and a brain like a Peanut... That's why the BBC employ him..
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #579: Dec 13, 2015 11:19:17 pm
      Not sure why everybody's talking about the atmosphere because for 90 minutes it was dead. The kop found their voice for about 60 seconds during stoppage time
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #580: Dec 13, 2015 11:19:37 pm
      I said before the game this was going to be a frustrating game and it turned out to be that way in the end. WBA were dogged in defense and again we looked off the pace once they equalised. We started well and for the first 25 minutes looked really good and having Coutinho back made us look a lot more menacing, but Mignolet's horror calamity took the wind out of our sails and put it into theirs.

We're absolutely sh*te at defending set-pieces and WBA targeted this and Mignolet as our weak areas and it paid dividends for them.

It was good to see Henderson get ahead of the forwards for his goal, our midfielders don't usually do that enough, but apart from his goal I thought his all round play was sloppy and at times poor. I suppose it could be put down to rust but he was trying to play the Hollywood passes and more often than not found a West Brom player.

Up until their second goal, my reassurance was growing in Lovren who looked like a center back. He was caught slightly flat footed for their second goal in marking or making the aerial challenge with Olsson. But to be fair the delivery was exceptional and so quick that whoever was getting to that ball first only had to get their head on the thing and steer the ball (in our case into the net) using the pace of it. Hope Lovren isn't too badly injured, I watched the replay of that a couple of times, and I think Lovren turned away slightly from the Gardner challenge. I was always coached to go in committed as if you went in half hearted you were more likely to get injured and I think that if Lovren went in without turning his body slightly he may not have got that injury - though I'm probably wrong about that observation.

I thought Milner was our best midfielder today, was everywhere, played some decent passes and really did all the leg work in midfield. Can too did a good job in-play.

I watched Benteke today more and while it's clear he doesn't posses the movement this team thrives on, he looked a little more up for it today. That said, he looks like a fish out of water in our set-up. It looks as though he isn't sure what to do when Coutinho, Lallana etc. are tippy tapping it around the box and is often nowhere near the play. He looks to get on the end of crosses which look as likely as us scoring from corners. They've got to be perfect and the odds of doing this consistently don't look favourable. He's willing to be a target man and all that jazz but when the ball is on the deck which 9/10 it usually is, he looks like a spare body clambering around the oppo's defense to no effect.

Lallana floated around doing his usual stuff and should have really scored just after WBA went 2-1 up. He needs to have much more of an impact on games when playing as a 3 up top. He needs, along with Firmino, Coutinho and our midfielders to up their goal conversion rate. It was a nice assist from Lallana to Henderson. However, I just wish he could have a bit more of an impact on the game. I remember hearing all the hype about him at Southampton and IIRC he scored a few too, he hasn't reached those heights with us here as he?

I think Clyne had a decent game at full back and got forward more than Moreno who for all his pace and eagerness getting forward usually, didn't provide enough kind of width IMO.

Another frustrating day watching the Reds, thankfully we were able to get a point out of it.
      « Last Edit: Dec 14, 2015 03:02:39 am by Beerbelly »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #581: Dec 13, 2015 11:24:16 pm
      thought some of our play was excellent poor finishing let us down as usual. Lots of positives the main one now only 18 days until the SALES

I wonder what game you F***ing watch at times

Give me some of examples of this excellent play lad because from where I was sat it was sideways passing for 90 minutes and we struggled to break them down.

We didn't run at them or get in behind, didnt open them up with any moves, there was no indivudal brilliance, we didn't create any clear cut chances apart from the Lallana one in the second half so I don't know where you get poor finishing from.

We were limited to long range shots because we were clueless in possession.

I know you would be ripping your hair out if we performed like we did today under Brendan. You're a hypocrite.

We were sh*t today. We had all the ball but did nothing with it. That's exactly how it was.

I'm not gonna sit here and bullshit and say we were unlucky and there are loads of positives to take from the game. We were poor, end of. We didn't deserve to lose the game by any means but we definitely didn't do enough to win it either. A draw was a fair result and a draw at home to F***ing wba is poor.

Very flat today reds hope we play with a lot more pace and aggression against Watford.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #582: Dec 13, 2015 11:26:50 pm
      Not sure why everybody's talking about the atmosphere because for 90 minutes it was dead. The kop found their voice for about 60 seconds during stoppage time

While not being the best atmosphere mate it was far from dead , it wasn't rockin for the whole game granted but I thought after they scored the second it seemed to rev our fans up more , did where I was sat .
      Redwanderer
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #583: Dec 13, 2015 11:30:16 pm
      We'd have lost that under Rodgers.

I thought we were the better team.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #584: Dec 13, 2015 11:34:36 pm
      While not being the best atmosphere mate it was far from dead , it wasn't rockin for the whole game granted but I thought after they scored the second it seemed to rev our fans up more , did where I was sat .

I was sat lower cenny near the anny road. First five mins the anny road tried to get a few songs going but it didn't take off.

Kop was silent for 90 mins. Perked up once the board went up for 8 mins.

Might have sounded louder if you were in the kop or that end? But couldn't hear a thing from where I was until very late on
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #585: Dec 13, 2015 11:40:10 pm
      I was sat lower cenny near the anny road. First five mins the anny road tried to get a few songs going but it didn't take off.

Kop was silent for 90 mins. Perked up once the board went up for 8 mins.

Might have sounded louder if you were in the kop or that end? But couldn't hear a thing from where I was until very late on

I was sat lower kitchen (Wimbledon Hill Road end), on one of the dining table chairs (can't get comfy on the computer one). My biggest problem was trying to concentrate on the game on the stream while my little girl was baking cupcakes. That and some bugger (KopiteLuke I think his name is!) whose stream was literally about five minutes ahead of mine. I knew Olsens first goal was going to disallowed before he'd even scored it put it that way, now I know what f****** Derryn Brown feels like.

As for the crowd noise, it wasn't exactly up there with the great European nights but it was definately the best it's been since Brendan's good season.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #586: Dec 14, 2015 12:02:05 am
      If you don't think Henderson's goal was created by some really good play then what on earth are people looking at. 70% possession today.
      Couthino blasted over the bar  from the edge of the box. this wasn't total football but I don't think anybody said it was it was some good passing lots of pressing and good movement but poor finishing and poor goal keeping. These are not Klopps players they are a squad Brendan has assembled over 3 years and it isn't even 3 months since Klopp took over I will wait a while longer before I start calling for his head.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #587: Dec 14, 2015 12:13:01 am
      Klopp says that he will not spend in the January window because he wants to give players more of a chance to prove themselves. which I regard as a very sensible thing to do,looking at all his options before replacing people, something that our last three managers did not do, also he said something I have been saying ever since Rafa. We have been buy quantity rather than quality...

This manager is the dogs b*ll*cks  :)
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,226 posts | 1222 
      Reply #588: Dec 14, 2015 12:23:11 am
      If you don't think Henderson's goal was created by some really good play then what on earth are people looking at. 70% possession today.
      Couthino blasted over the bar  from the edge of the box. this wasn't total football but I don't think anybody said it was it was some good passing lots of pressing and good movement but poor finishing and poor goal keeping. These are not Klopps players they are a squad Brendan has assembled over 3 years and it isn't even 3 months since Klopp took over I will wait a while longer before I start calling for his head.

It wasn't great but it was good enough but for some extremely dodgy goalkeeping and defending to have won that game. Really impedes all the good work we do outfield when we are liable to make such basic errors at the back. I mean Mignolet ffs, the guy is just a flapdoodling plonker. You can't build a solid foundation with that guy in goal.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,658 posts | 6954 
      Reply #589: Dec 14, 2015 12:24:23 am
      Would have won today with a different keeper IMO. Their second was a great corner but even that one Mignolet's face was a big surprise that a ball was approaching. Their offside goal he didn't even move.

Still got Enrique havent we? 😉
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #590: Dec 14, 2015 12:59:28 am
      Just the kind of cancerous comment we have come to expect from you irrespective of the result.

cancerous comment?  so the awful atmosphere, the fact that Klopp himself has to get the crowd going, that's not cancerous but my comment is.  Yea that makes sense.

"Irrespective of the result"---you act like we twatted Barcelona 10-0 or something.

we drew.  with West Brom. 

a team we should be walking over.  you get excited about a draw at home with West Brom, ok mate.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,654 posts | 3922 
      Reply #591: Dec 14, 2015 01:01:57 am
      Klopp says that he will not spend in the January window because he wants to give players more of a chance to prove themselves. which I regard as a very sensible thing to do,looking at all his options before replacing people, something that our last three managers did not do, also he said something I have been saying ever since Rafa. We have been buy quantity rather than quality...

This manager is the dogs b*ll*cks  :)

I get that, but F**k me, we need a new goalkeeper.

Simon Mignolet is 100% no where near a top 4 goalkeeper. That's a fact, and this needs to be addressed F***ing pronto.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #592: Dec 14, 2015 01:08:48 am
      Seeing Tony Evans calling Klopp's gesture of gratitude to the fans as 'misguided'.

I'm sorry to say this but I utterly despise that bellend of a human being posing as a journalist. Good job he's no longer in mainstream media. Made a tit of himself enough times when he was with The Times.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #593: Dec 14, 2015 01:12:57 am
      Seeing Tony Evans calling Klopp's gesture of gratitude to the fans as 'misguided'.

what was his rationale for saying it was misguided?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #594: Dec 14, 2015 01:13:24 am
      I get that, but f**k me, we need a new goalkeeper.  Simon Mignolet is 100% no where near a top 4 goalkeeper. That's a fact, and this needs to be addressed f**king pronto.

I get what you're saying and we all know Mignolet is sh*te but there really are not any top keepers that are going to be available in January.  There was a golden opportunity last summer to get Cech, who could've been our keeper for the next 10 years, but Rodgers decided what we really needed was Benteke.  Hey nice one Brendan. 

There aren't any keepers available and yet if you go out and get a starting keeper in January who is just ok, then we won't be getting a top one anytime soon.  Mignolet is sh*te but I think we can just scrape by with him until the end of the season, or even better, give Bogdan a chance.

I think if we finish top four and Spurs don't, we can convince Lloris to come to us. 
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #595: Dec 14, 2015 03:03:12 am
      The first goal was a brilliant move and really put me in the mood for another Southampton or Man City type performance. Alas, it was not to be.  Westbrom are a gritty team and you can see why they have got some great results against Arsenal, Spurs etc lately.
      Benteke does not seem to be the answer in Klopp's system, would rather have seen Firmino up there with Coutinho, or even Origi from the start.  What happens with Coutinho if he doesn't have the right players with him,  is he keeps shooting from too far out, and becomes too selfish. Put the right players with him and he is more effective.

Mignolet seems to put in a shocker every now and then and today was one of those. Klopp said recently he has faith in him so its not likely he will be replaced this season. It should really have been 3 points today but for poor finishing and I am sure sure Klopp will have learned more lessons again from this match. Was great to see that line of players with Klopp all holding hands and thanking the crowd for the support after the whistle. Even after a frustrating draw it left me with a positive feeling seeing that.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #596: Dec 14, 2015 03:58:57 am
      If this ref had half a set of balls then we win this game no questions. He tells Olson, Evans etc. that if they don't stop rugby tackling Benteke and co that he'll pay a penalty, and they either stop doing it or we win a penalty. Simple as.

Abhorrent standard of refereeing today.

That said, not good enough from us defensively as a whole. We should be top 4 if we won our last two games..
      GMM
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 31 posts |
      Reply #597: Dec 14, 2015 04:52:11 am
      I don't think after yesterday's game, Benteke can complain that he doesn't get enough crosses. I felt that the tactics were spot on in the game, with a mix of crosses and passing in the center. I think Coutinho wasn't fully fit yesterday to score the way he does. But Benteke was a disappointment. He could have scored 4 goals, had he been more clinical, as you'd expect an expensive target man like him to be.

Quick Reply