Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Which players are actually good enough for LFC

Read 16937 times
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Re: Which players are actually good enough for LFC
      Reply #115: Jan 08, 2016 09:46:46 am
      Keepers-None
      Wingbacks- Clyne and Moreno
      Centre Backs- Sakho, Gomez
      Wingers- Ibe MAYBE Markovic
      Centre Mids- Henderson Can
      Attacking Mids- Coutinho MAYBE Firmino
      Strikers- Ings, Sturridge MAYBE Origi
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #116: Feb 03, 2016 12:21:24 am
      Bumping this thread because after tonight's game its clear as anything our squad and certain players just aren't good enough for Liverpool. They are mediocre at best. Shithouses to put it kindly.

This isn't a knee jerk. This is fact. We need a F***ing new team. FSG have been here 6 years almost and we have qualified for the champions league once. This isn't a F***ing coincidence.

We need to get rid of a lot of dead wood and we need to bring a lot of new players fit enough for a club like ours. We need to sell players to raise money and also make some room in the squad. So who goes and who stays?

I'll start with Mignolet. He made some top saves tonight to be fair to him but usually he's a liability. We need a new number 1 urgently. I don't think we would get much for migs if we sold him so let's sell bogdan and keep him as number 2.

I'm happy for Clyne to be our right back with flanno as back up. This position doesn't need strengthening.

Cbs - well we have five on our books at the moment and none of them have ever formed a decent partnership which says everything you need to know. So we definitely need a CB. A proper leader at the back, somebody who will command that back four once and for all.  Toure will go. I don't rate Skrtel but I see him being one of our cbs next season, every manager he's played under has always had him in their team so don't see why JΓΌrgen will be any different, they obviously see something I don't. So I think we will sell either Lovren or sakho to raise money for a new CB and keep the other as backup. Young Gomez will also be backup.

Lb - Moreno has been inconsistent and we need somebody more reliable at the back. I think Moreno could well be sold and a new left back brought in with smith as back up.

Rm - desperately need a wide player. Ibe as back up.

Lm - desperately need a wide player.

cms/no 10s - we are packed here.  In my opinion we need two new centre mids which is quite remarkable considering how many midfielders we have in the squad.  Although he has improved in recent weeks Allen will go to raise money. Milner will also go I think because he isn't creative enough or quick enough to play out wide for us but isn't good enough to play in the middle either and his wages are too high for him to sit on the bench.  Lucas needs to stay as back up and to have some experience in the squad, can and hendo should both be back up players in an ideal world but I think hendo will keep his place and can will become back up. Coutinho and firmino will both stay and be in klopps 11. Lallana has to go to raise money plus he's sh*t.

Forwards - Origi and benteke out to raise money. Ings and sturridge back up. We need two new forwards to walk straight into our team which isn't easy.

We need a complete overhaul. These players have had their chance to play for Liverpool and they haven't delivered. Let's bring players in who will.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #117: Feb 03, 2016 12:26:35 am
      The list of keep is much shorter than the list of sell so keep:

Flanno
      Gomez
      Lucas (back-up)
      Firmino
      Coutinho
      Ings

Out of our senior squad, that's it.

If there is hope for Sturridge then keep him but it has to be genuine.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #118: Feb 03, 2016 12:32:34 am
      I'd keep Migs (as back up), Clyne, Sakho (as back up), Lovren, Flanno, Hendo (as back up), Can, Lucas (as back up), Coutinho, Firmino, Ibe (as back up), Ings (as back up) and Studge (as back up).

I'd sell Bogdan, Toure, Skrtel, Llori, Enrique, Moreno, Alberto, Allen, Milner, Markovic, Lallana, Balo, Origi and Benteke.

And I'd buy a GK, 2x CB, LB, DM, CM, winger and 2x strikers.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #119: Feb 03, 2016 01:39:25 am
      Simple question. Which of the current squad are good enough?Which are just squad players at best?, and which players are just not of a high enough standard to even be at our club?

In your opinion that is!

The Squad is different from team so I think there is a lot more to consider. Also there are guys on loan I’d personally like to see get a (or in some cases another) chance. I have included the kids in the list, as well as taken in to consideration possible sell on value when I made these choices:

Clyne – KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Milner – KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Coutinho – KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Firmino – KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Henderson – KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Sturridge – KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Can – KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Allen – KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Ings – KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Ibe - KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER
      Flanagan - KEEP - 1st TEAM PLAYER

Origi – KEEP – GOOD SOLID SQUAD PLAYER
      Rossiter - KEEP – GOOD SOLID SQUAD PLAYER
      Moreno - KEEP – GOOD STANDARD SQUAD PLAYER
      Lallana – KEEP – GOOD STANDARD SQUAD PLAYER
      Lucas – KEEP – GOOD STANDARD SQUAD PLAYER
      Gomez - KEEP – GOOD STANDARD SQUAD PLAYER
      Caulker - KEEP – STANDARD SQUAD PLAYER
      Smith - KEEP – SOLID SQUAD PLAYER
      Skrtel - KEEP – SOLID SQUAD PLAYER
      Ward - KEEP – SOLID SQUAD PLAYER
      Ojo - KEEP – SOLID SQUAD PLAYER
      Grujic – NEW PLAYER SO STAYING
      Allan – NEW PLAYER SO STAYING

Kent - KEEP TO BE GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE
      Stewart - KEEP TO BE GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE
      Yesil - KEEP TO BE GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE
      Ilori - KEEP TO BE GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE
      Markovic - KEEP TO BE GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE
      Randall - KEEP TO GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE
      Brannagan - KEEP TO BE GIVEN ANOTHER CHANCE

Enrique – TO BE SOLD
      Toure – TO BE SOLD
      Lovren – TO BE SOLD
      Teixeira – TO BE SOLD
      Wisdom – TO BE SOLD
      Sinclair – TO BE SOLD
      Mignolet – TO BE SOLD
      Balotelli – TO BE SOLD
      Bogdan – TO BE SOLD
      Sakho – TO BE SOLD
      Benteke – TO BE SOLD
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #120: Feb 03, 2016 01:43:26 am
      I think many of our players would be much better with some true class players. Hendo, Coutinho, Firmino and Sahko all would look and play so much better if we added better to play with them.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #121: Feb 03, 2016 01:54:53 am
      I think many of our players would be much better with some true class players. Hendo, Coutinho, Firmino and Sahko all would look and play so much better if we added better to play with them.

Im not holding my breathe with Sakho, Ive seen enough. Ive backed him like most on here but he is now becoming the player the rest of the league think he is... enough is enough for me
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #122: Feb 03, 2016 02:26:28 am

Yes it would make it easier for them to hide.

That's one of the few crumbs of comfort I'm taking out of some of these performances. At least their average ability is being thoroughly exposed for Klopp to see, so then when we do get class players in and these start to look a little better he'll still know to replace them.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #123: Feb 03, 2016 02:48:41 am
      Goalkeeper: I'd sell Mignolet and Bogdan, but keep Ward. Mignolet is good enough to be a backup, but why keep him as a back up if you have Ward who is home grown and on much smaller wages?

Right Back: Clyne is good enough to be the first choice right back going forward. He'd be helped massively if he had some competent attacking players ahead of him. He's played a stupid number of games this season. Flanagan is good enough to be the second choice right back. No need to go and spend in this position, we've got far greater concerns.

Left Back: Moreno is good enough to be the first choice left back. Like Clyne, he'd be helped massively if he had a competent attack ahead of him and if he wasn't our main attacking threat. He's also played a ridiculous number of games this season. Smith, I'm not sure about. He might be good enough, but we've not seen enough of him. For now though, spending any money on full backs would be f**king ridiculous unless it's someone like that lad Chilwell from Leicester for a couple of million quid.

Centre Back: I'd bin Skrtel and Toure immediately. I'd keep Sakho, Lovren, and Gomez. I'd try and get that Matip lad in on a free. Centre back is another area where I really don't want us to spend money on because I think our concerns are elsewhere (goalkeeper and in the final third).

Centre Midfield: Milner would be the first out the door for me. He's sh*te. Genuine sh*te. I'd sell Allen too. I'd go into next season with Henderson, a new signing, Can, Grujic, Rossiter, Brannagan, and Lucas as our midfield options. Henderson is the only midfielder we currently have that is good enough to play every week for us at the moment and even he might be broken. If he's broken, then we're oging to have to spend another 30 million quid at least to replace him (and even then, his replacement might not work out).

Attacking Midfield/Winger: I think Coutinho is at the moment the only player that I'd definitely want to play when fit for us in these positions. We need pace and goalscorers. It's why Alex Teixeira looked so perfect for us. Firmino looks like he could be a very good squad option. I'd keep Ibe and bring back Markovic. I'd consider selling Lallana if we got decent money for him. I'm a Lallana lover, but with Markovic, Ibe, Coutinho, and Firmino, and us arguably needing two more wide attacking players, I think keeping him may be overkill. I'd move him on. I'd bring in one or two wide players who have pace and score goals. Who these players are, I don't know. Bringing in two should cover the eventuality that one flops or one ends up injured the entire season.

Striker: I'd keep Sturridge, Origi, and Ings. I'd sell Benteke because I think we'd get decent money for him and it's clear that he'll never work for us. I'd invest that money in the best striker we can possibly get that is mobile and has a bit of pace.

In short I'd sell: Mignolet, Bogdan, Toure, Skrtel, Ilori, Allen, Milner, Lallana, Benteke, Balotelli, Wisdom, Enrique and Alberto. We'd probably get good money for Lallana, Benteke, and Allen. I'd try and sign a goalkeeper, that Matip lad or another lad on a free to come in at centre back, a centre midfielder, two wide players, and a striker. Six signings might be a bit excessive, however, so maybe only buy one wide lad and take a chance on Ojo, Kent, or Wilson as being good enough to be the sixth. If we ended up signing Ter Stegen, Matip, a good midfielder, Teixeira, and Hernandez, I'd be happy with our summer business and think we'd have enough to really have a good go at the title next season.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #124: Feb 03, 2016 05:11:53 am
      Its a Championship team  built by a Championship manager.

New stand .  Yes.
      New Manager . Yes.

New team  ?   August 2016.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #125: Feb 03, 2016 05:20:02 am

Centre Midfield: I'd go into next season with Henderson, a new signing, Can, Grujic, Rossiter, Brannagan, and Lucas as our midfield options.

The new signing better turn out to be a blockbuster player because that midfield looks seriously weak to last us the whole season.
      Henderson would be one of the first names on my teamsheet, but given his recent heel problems, we would have to rely on:

Lucas (getting old, will have more off-days)
      Grujic (untried and untested)
      Rossiter and Brannagan (decent backups, can't go blindly into season with them as full time players)
      Can (still undecided on him. has some serious ups and downs in performances)

We will need a midfielder who can actually create something in that midfield.

Just my opinion.

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #126: Feb 03, 2016 05:42:07 am
      It is difficult. We have injuries to Ings, Origi and Sturridge. We rely on Benetke and Firmino as our strikers. Maybe Benetke was bought as plan B and was never meant to be played in plan A nor operate with Firmino as 2 up front. I really think this is skewing our play at the moment. Look at the Barca, 3 up front. Real Madrid 3 up front. look at Dortmund when they had Reus, Lewandovski and Gotze. I don't think that Lucas, Milner, Can etc is the issue in midfield. I don't think the backline is necessarily the issue. I think these things become the issue when you can't score; then you have to be really organised defensively.

I don't think Rodgers was necessarily a tactical genius when we nearly won the league, I think we had Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling, 3 strikers playing in all areas up fornt and carving it up.

For me if this team could call on Sturridge, Coutinho and to a lesser extent Ings, we would be a different proposition entirely.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #127: Feb 03, 2016 06:43:18 am
      I disagree about Henderson but wouldn't argue too much with the rest mate.

Yeah agreed, he should be in the 'not good enough' column.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #128: Feb 03, 2016 06:48:00 am
      Yeah agreed, he should be in the 'not good enough' column.

On present form I would have to agree mate. I still believe he is a good player, but he hasn't shown it for a while now.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #129: Feb 03, 2016 07:46:39 am
      Flanno
      Hendo
      Coutinho
      Sturridge

Can Firmino and Origi I'd give the chance to prove themselves. Ibe to. That's all.

I exclude any young players from this who have not had a run in the side to show there capabilities
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #130: Feb 03, 2016 07:50:20 am
      Sorry if i'm repeating myself (posted the same in the matchday thread) :

We need to get rid of the following players if we want to achieve something in the near future and not waste another year: Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Enrique, Skrtel, Allen, Lallana, Milner, Benteke, Balotelli, Toure, Mignolet, Sturridge, Ibe, Ilori.

The only players who can do a job here and can improve in the future: Clyne, Flanagan, Gomez, Lucas, Henderson (barely), Can, Coutinho, Firmino, Ings, Markovic, Origi.

And we need a new captain, a player who can be a leader.

If someone around here really thinks that a team who has Milner and Henderson as their midfield heartbeat can compete for trophies than he is really deluded.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #131: Feb 03, 2016 11:43:28 am
      I keep forgetting Markovic will be back with us next season. There is a player in him somewhere and hopefully Klopp will bring the best out of him.

Benteke, Balotelli and either Sakho or Lovren need to be sold to raise some money.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #132: Feb 03, 2016 12:35:08 pm
      We can't rid of most of the squad in one window so I'd say for next season:

Starters:

Clyne
      One of Lovren/Sakho/Skrtel (personally I think they are all sh*te but getting two starting centre backs in one window will be hard, maybe Gomez can step up?)
      Flanagan
      Hendo (provided we sign a dominant central midfielder to play alongside him)
      Coutinho
      Firmino
      Sturridge (obviously plays if he's fit but I think we'll need another striker anyway)

So that's GK, CB, CM, winger and ST to address in one window, reasonable I'd say.

I'd probably move on Bogdan, one of the centre backs, Moreno, Lallana, Can (never going to happen but I can hope), Milner, Benteke, Balotelli and maybe Markovic (depends on if we can rely on Ojo or not).
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #133: Feb 03, 2016 01:06:19 pm
      maybe if our ambition is to challenge for the league and in the Cl we should be asking which players are capable of playing in a league winning side ie City or Arsenal or a CL winning side like Bayern or Barcelona. I can't think of anyone off hand.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,243 posts | 851 
      Reply #134: Feb 03, 2016 03:26:04 pm
      I would go for:

Sturridge (if he ever stays fit)
      Coutinho
      Firimno (there is a player, needs to show consistency)

High hopes to become good enough in the long term:
      Brannagan
      Smith

Others are either squad players or get rid of them.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #135: Feb 03, 2016 03:27:36 pm
      The new signing better turn out to be a blockbuster player because that midfield looks seriously weak to last us the whole season.
      Henderson would be one of the first names on my teamsheet, but given his recent heel problems, we would have to rely on:

Lucas (getting old, will have more off-days)
      Grujic (untried and untested)
      Rossiter and Brannagan (decent backups, can't go blindly into season with them as full time players)
      Can (still undecided on him. has some serious ups and downs in performances)

We will need a midfielder who can actually create something in that midfield.

Just my opinion.

We don't need a great midfield to win us the league. And yeah, the idea would be to spend big on one midfielder. Lucas is a capable back up and Grujic is clearly coming here to play. Klopp is fan of Can too. I'd basically be replacing Milner with one much better player and replacing Allen with Grujic.

On present form I would have to agree mate. I still believe he is a good player, but he hasn't shown it for a while now.

Since the Arsenal game... and he's clearly looked fu**ed with that injury which is why he's presumably been taken off at around 60-65 minutes in every game.

We can't rid of most of the squad in one window so I'd say for next season:

Starters:

Clyne
      One of Lovren/Sakho/Skrtel (personally I think they are all sh*te but getting two starting centre backs in one window will be hard, maybe Gomez can step up?)
      Flanagan
      Hendo (provided we sign a dominant central midfielder to play alongside him)
      Coutinho
      Firmino
      Sturridge (obviously plays if he's fit but I think we'll need another striker anyway)

So that's GK, CB, CM, winger and ST to address in one window, reasonable I'd say.

I'd probably move on Bogdan, one of the centre backs, Moreno, Lallana, Can (never going to happen but I can hope), Milner, Benteke, Balotelli and maybe Markovic (depends on if we can rely on Ojo or not).

Bringing in five new names to walk straight into the first eleven probably isn't reasonable.
      TheForge
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #136: Feb 03, 2016 03:46:23 pm
      I would go for:

Sturridge (if he ever stays fit)
      Coutinho
      Firimno (there is a player, needs to show consistency)

High hopes to become good enough in the long term:
      Brannagan
      Smith

Others are either squad players or get rid of them.

Saying:    "Sturridge (if he ever stays fit)"
      is like saying:  "Messi (if we could get him)"
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #137: Feb 03, 2016 04:05:36 pm
      still haven't seen anyone say one of our players is good enough for City or Arsenal . I am sure JΓΌrgen knows by now the size of the task he has taken on.

Quick Reply