Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Kolo Toure
      2 (2.7%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      2 (2.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      12 (16.2%)
      Emre Can
      2 (2.7%)
      James Milner
      2 (2.7%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      52 (70.3%)
      Adam Lallana
      1 (1.4%)
      Christian Benteke
      0 (0%)
      Steven Caulker
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Voting closed: Jan 18, 2016 08:03:11 pm

Liverpool 3:3 Arsenal. In game and post match debate..

Read 37114 times
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Re: Liverpool 3:3 Arsenal. In game and post match debate..
      Reply #782: Jan 13, 2016 10:54:21 pm
      if theres one team I can throw respect at in the Premier League it's Arsenal..
      Wenger has always had the attitude of playing a good game of footy especially when his team visit Anfield.
      He set up his team to go for a win tonight and play to his attacking strengths .. that I admire..

Great game and considering our recent rollercoaster form, a very good home performance to give us all hope for Sunday's game against Rooney's gang.

As far as our game goes I thought Lallana was sh*te throughout and why he gets the nod over Allen is beyond me..
      Firmino put a shift in and his second goal was worth the entrance fee alone.. why he took his shirt off after his first I'll never know.. made me very nervous.. :f_steam:
      Arsenal sussed out Ibe and had him covered, end of.

Benchteke made No difference whatsoever tonight..

Sakho has an Iron heart but legs like Bambi and that worries me..

I could go on but I won't because I'll take the deserved point and look forward to Sunday's game and hope we can hammer another nail in Turtles coffin..

Good game tonight lads..

rest up and get in the zone coz there'll be a funny smell around town come Sunday morning..

Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #783: Jan 13, 2016 10:55:07 pm
      Loved that game. Disappointed with the result as I felt we did enough to win, but same old problems arise, and we're salvaging a draw.

My ratings

Mignolet 4/10 Cardinal rule of GKin, never be beaten near post in a corner. I'm sure I said that about Bogdan against Exeter too. If only he commanded his area all the time like when he piled through Kolo and Ramsay to punch it away. I just hope the new contract is to get sell on value.

Moreno 7/10 I thought he was boss myself. He is an attacking full back who more often than not starts attacks with the high press interception. I feel
      He could get 10 goals a season if he clicks with his shooting. Would love him to have a go on wing, would offer more than Ibe does ATM.

Sakho 5/10 thought he got bullied by Giroud (most overrated striker in league) lost possession a few times in second half too. Needs to do better for me, even if he is a legend off pitch

Kolo 6/10 Thought he had a decent game but should of stopped Giroud for the third. Got turned to easy, fell on his arse and should of got the block in. Giving him a run of games though has done wonders as seems a bit more composed on the ball.

Clyne 6/10 Dropped from his usual 7/10 performance purely for being a little reckless. If we had another referee tonight could of got sent off when he started flying in after his yellow. Needs more end product, seems afraid to cross the ball at times.

Can 6/10 Boss first half, but his fitness levels is shocking, as 60 minute mark hits he is gassed and became a proper liability. Klopp right to take him off.

Milly 7/10 boss first half, lost his way second but coming back from injury was bound to be knackered. Must be gutted he won't play the middle anymore  :f_doh:

Hendo 8/10 His best performance for us for ages, controlled game and looked assured on ball. Growing on me he is.

Bobby 8/10 Hopeful this is the game that I was waiting for and to seen the player everyone was banging on about when we signed him, because he was F***ing sh*te every other game before this (minus Man City) Faded second half but still looked dangerous.

Lallana 5/10 Just a passenger, if he doesn't score or assist, what's the point of him? To run around?

Ibe 4/10 Needs to be dropped, but no one to take his place. He had so much of the ball but no end product. Looked out of sorts.

Bentekesauraus 6/10 He won a header and assist!!! Praise the Lord!

Caulker 10/10 Just to wind up all the people who went mental when we signed him on loan.

Welsh Xavi 8/10 Felt like a winner, but more importantly steadied the game down. Arsenal didn't have a sniff when he came on for Can.

Bobby for MOTM, but overall for parts of the game the team played beautifully, some ace movement and one touch play. Let's hope Ward plays on Wednesday and has a blinder, so Jurgs can drop flat face.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #784: Jan 13, 2016 10:57:16 pm
      Firmino and Hendo were the stand out performers. Absolute class.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #785: Jan 13, 2016 10:57:51 pm
      if theres one team I can throw respect at in the Premier League it's Arsenal..
      Wenger has always had the attitude of playing a good game of footy especially when his team visit Anfield.
      He set up his team to go for a win tonight and play to his attacking strengths .. that I admire..

Great game and considering our recent rollercoaster form, a very good home performance to give us all hope for Sunday's game against Rooney's gang.

As far as our game goes I thought Lallana was sh*te throughout and why he gets the nod over Allen is beyond me..
      Firmino put a shift in and his second goal was worth the entrance fee alone.. why he took his shirt off after his first I'll never know.. made me very nervous.. :f_steam:
      Arsenal sussed out Ibe and had him covered, end of.

Benchteke made No difference whatsoever tonight..

Sakho has an Iron heart but legs like Bambi and that worries me..

I could go on but I won't because I'll take the deserved point and look forward to Sunday's game and hope we can hammer another nail in Turtles coffin..

Good game tonight lads..

rest up and get in the zone coz there'll be a funny smell around town come Sunday morning..

Some might complain about how Arsenal sat back for most of the second half but who wouldn't considering our inability to break down teams for the last 18 months or so (which made our equaliser a bit sweeter). If they had won that at Anfield against us in strong attacking form I would have given them the Premier League trophy, moreso when you consider Man City drew to Everton. Potentially defining moment in the title race that was taken away by Joe Allen!
      kevonio
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts | 31 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Arsenal
      Reply #786: Jan 13, 2016 10:59:29 pm
      i said before christmas chelsea will overtake us in table by end of next month (january)

i stick by that....utd up next
      you are an absolute treasure to this forum you mate..nah your a world class bell end!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #787: Jan 13, 2016 11:01:24 pm
      Firstly, pleased with the point, more than I'd expected.

Secondly, it's been like a kindergarten in here tonight, I have a second degree burn on my leg, so really I can't be arsed trawling through here tonight.

Some of the quality of the posts have been very below what is accepted, frustrations aside, just think before you hit post.

Like the FA, things will be looked at in due course.

Glad I was late home and missed this thread by the sounds of this RP.

Just seen the highlights after not knowing the result so was up jumping like a madman when Joe scored.

Seemed like a good game and we were a match for them. True enough?
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #788: Jan 13, 2016 11:05:22 pm

The chicken Weng came back out tonight.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,314 posts | 769 
      Reply #789: Jan 13, 2016 11:06:43 pm
      Cracking game to watch in the Millbank tonight. Thought the lads played really well and deserved to at least pick up a point against the high riding Gunners. I think with the same attitude we'll beat the Mancs on Sunday.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #790: Jan 13, 2016 11:07:02 pm
      I worry without the physicality of Henderson and Milner. Henderson wouldn't be bullied and some players really need to toughen up physically and mentally.

Klopp's going to love Henderson.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #791: Jan 13, 2016 11:08:00 pm
      Cracking game to watch in the Millbank tonight. Thought the lads played really well and deserved to at least pick up a point against the high riding Gunners. I think with the same attitude we'll beat the Mancs on Sunday.

It will definitely unless we see schoolboy errors at the back again
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #792: Jan 13, 2016 11:08:59 pm
      That was a highly entertaining game , Liverpool v Arsenal will always be a great game to watch but we deserved to win that game , the keeper was the difference he is terrible at those crosses along with the defence . Apart from that we got in around them and caused them hassle , Firmino , Can and Hendo were the men tonight . lallana is going nowhere fast and Benteke again always in the wrong place at the wrong time .Well done to Klopp for making those changes and to Joe Allen for rescuing the point .
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #793: Jan 13, 2016 11:09:13 pm
      Just watched it on MOTD.  Simon should'nt have been beaten for that first arsenal goal. We need to wind up the whole defence to take responsibility for corners.  That second goal straight from a corner should have been better defended. If we sell Simon and defend corners ......

Thought Firmino's 2 goals were taken superbly, could so easily have had a hat trick.  Joe Allen - I think this lad's been performing so much better since Jürgen arrived.  What a well taken goal, arguably the more difficult of the 3 to convert.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #794: Jan 13, 2016 11:10:33 pm
      Should have won that IMO. I hate to see us lose leads and especially in the soft manner of conceding from a corner-kick. We have to be much better defensively and be able to shut teams out. We haven't mastered that since Rafa was here. And when we were 2-1 up in the first half all pumped up on adrenaline I thought we lost our heads and carried on playing like kids in a school ground, high off the octane that was initially produced. We needed to slow it down and control things, the way our lads were pumped up and running about, I could see the second coming as composure wasn't in our game.

We severly lack quality IMO, and while we huffed and puffed we just placed too many simple wayward passes. I saw the game on a dodgy stream so my ratings may no be bang on, I will watch the game properly later on, but scraping back from a draw from a winning position is teeth gritting stuff.

Mignolet: 6 Should be a second keeper. I don't blame him for the goal conceded from the corner as that low, near post cross should never in a million years reach the goal. I think Sahko and Lallana were at fault for not dealing with that. He could have done better on the first goal IMO, and the third he had no chance - again poor defending allows shots to be reigned down upon.

Clyne: 6 Looked pretty solid.

Moreno: 6 I think it's worth putting Brad Smith in ahead of this guy. As many have said, the kid looks brain dead at times, and Smith has a better cross on him. A lot of our attack threat from the left usually breaks down with a wayward shot or cross from this lad.

Sahko: 5 Worse defender on the pitch tonight. Should have tackled Giroud for Arsenal's second. His passing was awful at times and turned over possession in vital phases of play and gave momentum back to Arsenal.

Milner: 7 Thought he had a decent game. Many will blame him for the third goal but there was still another 40 yards of pitch to defend and as usual, we couldn't do it. Gave us the legs and tenacity this midfield needs.

Henderson: 6 A footballer who as the captain of this great club fails to influence a game. But it's no surprise he's an average player.

Can: 6 Started well, then slid off the face of the earth and like Sahko gave possession away in phases of play where we needed to keep the ball. It was simple stuff, and he'd turned possession over to Arsenal allowing them breathing space and the ball. He works hard and makes some great tackles but is sloppy in possession and Oliver Twist would have a great time pick pocketing this fella.

Lallana: 5 Similar to Henderson, fails to deliver on a consistent basis. Simply not good enough and has no end-product to show for it.

Firminho: 7 One cracker of a half in about 18 games or so is a poor return on the money spent. Last time he showed this was against Citeh F***ing ages ago. Not good enough. However, took his second goal beautifully and worked but 1 in every 15-18 games isn't good enough.

Ibe: 5 Horrendous from the young lad. Monreal had his number all night and the kid fails to release the ball. Similar to Moreno but worse because he's an attacker, everything broke down on our right flank.

Well done to Allen for taking his goal well!

Benteke still looks out of place, Caulker looked more at home upfront than him.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,044 posts | 537 
      Reply #795: Jan 13, 2016 11:11:21 pm
      Isn't it an indictment of our team that a defender needs to work on his defending? And I agree with 100% on that.

He's frustrating, cos if he gives his opponent a 5 yard start he can make some brilliant tackles, but his reading of the game is poor. Tonight he gambled on stepping outside his man for the first goal. If he'd just stayed goal side that goal wouldnt have happened. He switched off again for that sitter that Giroud missed. He leaves his CBs very exposed. ( I actually think our CBs are ok though)
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #796: Jan 13, 2016 11:18:23 pm
      Seemed like a good game and we were a match for them. True enough?
      Yeah, true enough mate but they did have quality on the pitch who on many occasions very nearly cut us open..
      The few times Walcott got the ball in space and he looked vey quick and dangerous..
      Ramsey played well in midfield and Ozil did his bit as always..
      Giroud is a quality striker although Sakho stuck to him like glue apart from when he scored their third.. pity.

Like I said earlier Wenger plays to win which is why the game was so open ( certainly after half an hour anyway ) both teams going for it..

If we don't win the league I hope the Arsenal do above every f**ker else..
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #797: Jan 13, 2016 11:39:17 pm
      I think it was a pretty good performance all round except by Can and Mignolet.

Can is too slow both mentally and physically, it's like he lacks anticipation.
      Mignolet spreads fear through our team, how can we go forward at 100% if we always have to worry about our keepers next clanger. The fact he is about to sign an extension is ridiculous.

I'd of taken a point today before the match but we allowed them back into it twice and it almost cost us the entire 3 so whilst i'm glad we got a point it feels like dropping 2 instead of gaining 1.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #798: Jan 14, 2016 12:12:45 am
      Best football game I've seen in a long time. Thoroughly enjoyed watching, literally nail biting. Amazing to see Hendo back again, Firmino has been cock teasing long enough so glad to see him unleash the player he's shown signs of being all along. Mignolet is a disgrace even to the 22 jersey worn by Steve Harkness and Titi Camara. Just a point on Can, definitely seen more good than bad from him and he's only just turned 22. Looked a little burned out towards the end, would be nice to give him a rest but may not be possible because of our squad.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #799: Jan 14, 2016 12:19:17 am
      A game of footy lasts 90 minutes, not twenty. Unfortunately our players don't know that. Because we pressed Arsenal and put the shits up them for the first twenty minutes then did very little to hurt them for the remainder of the goal - bar one cracking controlled volley from Joe Allen (of all people!) to equalise at the end. We looked alright for the majority of the second half, mainly because Arsenal allowed us to play. As soon as Giroud put them 3-2 up, that was it. It was basically shut up shop time for them and they still looked more dangerous than us.

It was a summing up of our season tonight though, when we play well we look as good as anything in world football, when we're sh*t we look like a team of sh*t kids you don't pass to in your school team. Other than the embarrassment of the first goal, which was just a catalogue of errors, the first twenty minutes were faultless.

After that I don't think anybody played particularly well for the remainder of the match. Not in a Liverpool shirt anyway. Sloppy and too slow, both moving their feet and moving the ball. Goalkeeping errors has just become so common now it's not a surprise, it's become expected - back to the days of David James. Defense were all over the shop with no cohesion in them. Midfield is getting rave reviews when I thought they offered us very little. Up front, two extremely well taken goals but nothing else from the front three.

Overall, I don't take a point at home as a good result. For me it's two dropped. We should be beating everybody at Anfield, especially given how well we started.

Mignolet - F**k me, this fella is getting a new contract. He must have some sh*t on Henry and co because there's no way his performances have earned him this new deal. Beaten at his near post for the first, god knows what he was doing with the second and I suppose I could excuse him for the third. That punch he made though where he cleaned Ramsey out, was at least a positive sign. Other than that though, Simple Simon was as F***ing sh*t as usual.

Clyne - offered us a constant outlet down the right, constantly going past Ibe on the overlap and constantly doing F**k all once he got there. I don't mind a right back who's sh*t going forward as long as he's reliable at the back yet our Nath seems inept in that department as well right now. I thought Glen Johnson was sh*t at blocking crosses, F**k me Clyne takes it to a whole new level. Ibe could of helped him a bit more so he wasn't getting doubled up by Arsenal but even still, Clyne needs to do more.

Toure - for me was our best defender and he wasn't anything to write home about. If nothing else, he gives us heart. Was partly at fault for the first goal, just allowed Ramsey to run through past him. Though if Can wasn't so F***ing slow to react when the ball was there to be won in the first place, it wouldn't of got that far. And the third, he ended up on his arse and still tried throwing his head at it.

Sakho - was a liability. Made no attempt to stop the ball for the first goal, was ducking while Giroud was attacking the ball for the second and ended up his arse with nobody near him for the third. Gave the ball away cheaply too often. Got beat in the air throughout the game by Giroud (including for the first goal - leaving Giroud with a sore head).

Moreno - stick this fella on a private training regime at Melwood and practice his crossing because the amount of times he gets down the left flank then fails to beat the first man is shocking. Defensively he's all over the shop, positionally he hasn't a clue - this is after he looked like he was learning the role over the past few weeks. And what the F**k was that free kick at the end about? It was a chance to put the Arsenal goal under pressure and he just tamely chipped it into the wall.

Henderson - made a few good runs, that often when unnoticed by his own team mates. Spread the ball about nicely in the second half, mainly because Arsenal put him under no pressure. He was allowed to play well but didn't really hurt Arsenal. Even the ball that Benteke got his head to for Allen's goal, it weren't a great ball in from Jordy. It was just a lob, no pace on the ball.

Can't - couldn't be any F***ing slower if he tried. I'd back Lucas in a sprint between him and Emre. Whenever Arsenal got into dangerous positions, Can was pegging it as fast as his legs could take him and got there about ten minutes late. Got caught dallying throughout the game. Looked okish in the opening ten minutes (he didn't even play well for the full 20 that we did play well) but for the rest of the game was sh*te and was rightfully taken off.

Ibe - how F***ing frustrating is this lad? With all the hype he came into this season with, after impressive performances in the second half of last year, he's flattered to deceive too often this year. His crossing, when he does finally put one in rather than having to get to the by-line and losing it to the full back, is actually rather good (just not from corners). But because he has this tendency to have to get the by-line, he loses the ball too often. Was sh*te tonight.

Lallana - F**k commenting on him, he's F***ing useless.

Milner - people think he played well, can anybody enlighten me what he actually did. I can't recall one thing he did other than get brought off, and F**k up an attack when he tried to cut it back onto his right foot instead of whipping it in first time on his left. He lost it after falling on his arse.

Firmino - two excellent goals, completely different goals as well. Unlucky not to get the third at the very end of the first half. I can't recall anything else from him however. But, as he was played as a forward and forwards are judged by the goals they score, Bobby did well.

Benteke - I don't know where to start. Not with Benteke but with the team when he's on. He's on the bench, we just throw the ball in the box. He's on the pitch, we start pissing about with it, trying to score the perfect goal. Makes no sense to me. When we finally did throw it in the box, he won the header and was able to knock it into a dangerous area where Allen scored a boss goal.

Allen - came on and scored a belting volley in the dying minutes of the game.

Caulker - got threw up front to try and disturb Arsenal's back line, why we haven't done this with other centre halves throughout the season is beyond me. It's a very clear, basic tactic that may actually work every now and then. He didn't really do anything up there but a big f**ker like him up there is gonna cause more problems than just having another centre half pissing about with it on the halfway line.

Overall, for me it's good that we got a point in the last minute. But it's still two points dropped, especially given most of the teams around us dropped points as well. A chance to throw our name back into the middle of the top four challenge, blown by lunacy defending.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #800: Jan 14, 2016 12:26:02 am
      A game of footy lasts 90 minutes, not twenty. Unfortunately our players don't know that. Because we pressed Arsenal and put the shits up them for the first twenty minutes then did very little to hurt them for the remainder of the goal - bar one cracking controlled volley from Joe Allen (of all people!) to equalise at the end. We looked alright for the majority of the second half, mainly because Arsenal allowed us to play. As soon as Giroud put them 3-2 up, that was it. It was basically shut up shop time for them and they still looked more dangerous than us.

It was a summing up of our season tonight though, when we play well we look as good as anything in world football, when we're sh*t we look like a team of sh*t kids you don't pass to in your school team. Other than the embarrassment of the first goal, which was just a catalogue of errors, the first twenty minutes were faultless.

After that I don't think anybody played particularly well for the remainder of the match. Not in a Liverpool shirt anyway. Sloppy and too slow, both moving their feet and moving the ball. Goalkeeping errors has just become so common now it's not a surprise, it's become expected - back to the days of David James. Defense were all over the shop with no cohesion in them. Midfield is getting rave reviews when I thought they offered us very little. Up front, two extremely well taken goals but nothing else from the front three.

Overall, I don't take a point at home as a good result. For me it's two dropped. We should be beating everybody at Anfield, especially given how well we started.

Mignolet - f**k me, this fella is getting a new contract. He must have some sh*t on Henry and co because there's no way his performances have earned him this new deal. Beaten at his near post for the first, god knows what he was doing with the second and I suppose I could excuse him for the third. That punch he made though where he cleaned Ramsey out, was at least a positive sign. Other than that though, Simple Simon was as f**king sh*t as usual.

Clyne - offered us a constant outlet down the right, constantly going past Ibe on the overlap and constantly doing f**k all once he got there. I don't mind a right back who's sh*t going forward as long as he's reliable at the back yet our Nath seems inept in that department as well right now. I thought Glen Johnson was sh*t at blocking crosses, f**k me Clyne takes it to a whole new level. Ibe could of helped him a bit more so he wasn't getting doubled up by Arsenal but even still, Clyne needs to do more.

Toure - for me was our best defender and he wasn't anything to write home about. If nothing else, he gives us heart. Was partly at fault for the first goal, just allowed Ramsey to run through past him. Though if Can wasn't so f**king slow to react when the ball was there to be won in the first place, it wouldn't of got that far. And the third, he ended up on his arse and still tried throwing his head at it.

Sakho - was a liability. Made no attempt to stop the ball for the first goal, was ducking while Giroud was attacking the ball for the second and ended up his arse with nobody near him for the third. Gave the ball away cheaply too often. Got beat in the air throughout the game by Giroud (including for the first goal - leaving Giroud with a sore head).

Moreno - stick this fella on a private training regime at Melwood and practice his crossing because the amount of times he gets down the left flank then fails to beat the first man is shocking. Defensively he's all over the shop, positionally he hasn't a clue - this is after he looked like he was learning the role over the past few weeks. And what the f**k was that free kick at the end about? It was a chance to put the Arsenal goal under pressure and he just tamely chipped it into the wall.

Henderson - made a few good runs, that often when unnoticed by his own team mates. Spread the ball about nicely in the second half, mainly because Arsenal put him under no pressure. He was allowed to play well but didn't really hurt Arsenal. Even the ball that Benteke got his head to for Allen's goal, it weren't a great ball in from Jordy. It was just a lob, no pace on the ball.

Can't - couldn't be any f**king slower if he tried. I'd back Lucas in a sprint between him and Emre. Whenever Arsenal got into dangerous positions, Can was pegging it as fast as his legs could take him and got there about ten minutes late. Got caught dallying throughout the game. Looked okish in the opening ten minutes (he didn't even play well for the full 20 that we did play well) but for the rest of the game was sh*te and was rightfully taken off.

Ibe - how f**king frustrating is this lad? With all the hype he came into this season with, after impressive performances in the second half of last year, he's flattered to deceive too often this year. His crossing, when he does finally put one in rather than having to get to the by-line and losing it to the full back, is actually rather good (just not from corners). But because he has this tendency to have to get the by-line, he loses the ball too often. Was sh*te tonight.

Lallana - f**k commenting on him, he's f**king useless.

Milner - people think he played well, can anybody enlighten me what he actually did. I can't recall one thing he did other than get brought off, and f**k up an attack when he tried to cut it back onto his right foot instead of whipping it in first time on his left. He lost it after falling on his arse.

Firmino - two excellent goals, completely different goals as well. Unlucky not to get the third at the very end of the first half. I can't recall anything else from him however. But, as he was played as a forward and forwards are judged by the goals they score, Bobby did well.

Benteke - I don't know where to start. Not with Benteke but with the team when he's on. He's on the bench, we just throw the ball in the box. He's on the pitch, we start pissing about with it, trying to score the perfect goal. Makes no sense to me. When we finally did throw it in the box, he won the header and was able to knock it into a dangerous area where Allen scored a boss goal.

Allen - came on and scored a belting volley in the dying minutes of the game.

Caulker - got threw up front to try and disturb Arsenal's back line, why we haven't done this with other centre halves throughout the season is beyond me. It's a very clear, basic tactic that may actually work every now and then. He didn't really do anything up there but a big f**ker like him up there is gonna cause more problems than just having another centre half pissing about with it on the halfway line.

Overall, for me it's good that we got a point in the last minute. But it's still two points dropped, especially given most of the teams around us dropped points as well. A chance to throw our name back into the middle of the top four challenge, blown by lunacy defending.

Really don't agree with much of this. Didn't at all think we stopped playing after 20 minutes and I think most people watching would say that. Thought when we went forward we always looked threatening and believing we could score even when Arsenal sat back deeper.

Strange because you say it's two points dropped yet your player reviews and everything else beforehand suggests to us anything but.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #801: Jan 14, 2016 12:43:09 am
      Got pissed wet through sitting in row 5 tonight but apart from that I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I was moaning in the West Ham thread a couple of weeks ago saying I can deal with dropping points as long as we give it a go and I felt tonight we did. I thought overall we deserved three points.

First half an hour we were all over them. We should have taken our chances and been out of sight but yet again we conceded two very silly goals which I'm blaming mignolet for. Funnily enough I said earlier today in his player thread that he costs us more points a season than he does win for us and tonight was further evidence of that. He isn't good enough plain and simple and we won't win the league with him in goal for us.

Arsenal had a spell towards the end of the first half and start of the second half where they were the better side.

Most of the second half was a case of Arsenal defending their lead and us pressing without creating anything clear cut. I was impressed with the effort the lads put in but I think it boils down to the simple fact of we don't have enough quality in the final third. We badly missed Coutinho tonight I think he would have shone in that game.

Anyway, here's how I thought our players did...

Mignolet - I repeatedly say he is the worst goalie in the league. He definitely is. Beaten at his near post for the first goal, beaten from a corner for the second goal. He is the worst no1 I have ever seen at Liverpool.

Clyne and Moreno - both defended reasonably well, both got forward reasonably well. Neither did anything wrong from memory but didn't do anything spectacular either. Average.

Kolo and sakho - Both made some great tackles at times but both gave away possession with what I can only describe as danger passes - silly balls in our own half which immediately puts us under pressure. Sometimes it's just better to get rid of the bloody thing. Both could have done better in the air tonight too, giroud was bringing it down far too easily for me. Overall, both did pretty well considering.

Ibe - had plenty of the ball and looked lively but was very frustrating. He kept running into trouble or trying a trick too many. He needs to keep it more simple and make his decisions earlier. Hes improving week by week though.

Henderson - if it wasn't for firminos second goal then he would have been my motm. Ran and bossed the midfield.

Can - A good first half but a very sloppy second half. He was getting caught out on the ball too much and was giving possession away with some poor passing.

Lallana - what does he do seriously? Plays every week for us in an attacking positions and gets no goals and no assists. All I see is a headless chicken. Runs around a lot and does a turn every now and then but that's about it. He is certainly somebody id be looking to upgrade on in the summer.

Milner - similar to Lallana. At city he did all of the donkey work because he had players like silva and toure who are far better on the ball than him. We don't have as many skillful players as city so we need Milner to be one of our ball players and he doesn't deliver. He works hard and has good stamina but he needs to improve on the ball. I want to see more from him. A lot more.

Firmino - My motm. Two goals, one good and the other great. He should have had a hat trick too. Been banging my drum for weeks saying play him upfront instead of that lamppost benteke. Firmino definitely needs more experience playing in the PL but you can see from tonight that there is a player in him.  In general, I thought we looked a lot better going forward again tonight with him leading the attack rather than benteke.

But fair play to benteke for winning the header that led to allens goal. That's what he's good at being in the box and making a nuisance of himself.  The most expensive impact/plan b sub in footballs history.

Unlucky tonight reds, good performance and it was a good game, really enjoyed it.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #802: Jan 14, 2016 12:46:23 am
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #803: Jan 14, 2016 02:47:17 am
      All that I love about this fixture was perfectly captured in tonight's match. Always a match when both teams will come out and play football, rarely has it been a case of stopping the other side from playing. Highlights the best of the Premier League in my opinion and for that reason it's probably the best fixture in the whole league. As ever it didn't disappoint!
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #804: Jan 14, 2016 03:13:21 am
      I would really like to see Danny Ward given a chance. He is 22 now and received rave reviews at Aberdeen. Mignolet needs someone either to press him for his spot or a replacement. Hopefully Ward can be a legit no 1 for us. I expect we will get to see him in the cup against Exeter so hopefully he can take his chance

Quick Reply