Read 6190 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Liverpool goalkeeping issues
      Jan 14, 2016 01:30:08 pm
      This has to come to a head. Not since 1981 have we had a world class keeper at this club. When Clem moved on so did assurance and calm at the back.

Brucie was athletic and at times a great goalkeeper but he was always capable of doing something silly

David James cost us at least 3 trophies including leagues with his errors.

Westerveld was replaced for a reason and his replacement Dudek though at times fantastic again had errors around the corner at any time. Pepe is adored and rightly so but again was no stranger to clangerville.

Which brings us to our current number 1. What a complete and utter disaster this lad is. As I mentioned last night in game, his errors not only let Arsenal into the game but visibly knocked our confidence. OK Jürgen has a point that he should have better cover at the 2nd goal but that aside he should not have been beaten. We all know is kicking is poor is catching is non existent but now were seeing his supposed strong point, shot stopping is also highly flawed. Slightly harsh but watch his position for the 3rd, a fine finish, but look were Mignolet is positioned. He offers up that entire part of the goal to Giroud.

Drop Mignolet and we see even worse in Bogdan!! This has to stop. We never produce our own goalkeepers. Name the last keeper this club brought through its ranks to be the regular number 1?

So aside from signing not good enough goalkeepers our academy is failing to produce the required standard. Which brings us to our goalkeeping coaches. How they haven't been fired by now is beyond me. Is this Acthbergs 3rd manager hes worked under and yet still survives? He must put his hands up and admit blame in this embarrassing situation.

Lastly have a think about how many points a top world class keeper gets you a season. Example last night we gain 2 points with one in our net. Add that up over a season. Plus the confidence a back 4 or entire team would get from having that type of assurance that Clemence gave, how much more belief would they have in themselves knowing that if they do make an error theres a good chance the man behind them will rescue them.

Time is well overdue for Liverpool to sort there entire goalkeeping issue out   
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Re: Liverpool goalkeeping issues
      Reply #1: Jan 14, 2016 01:38:01 pm
      start by getting rid of our gk coach
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #2: Jan 14, 2016 01:52:32 pm
      James loved a mistake but on his day he was actually a fine goalie. Dudek and Westerveld were a bit more consistent than the clown we have in goal now but neither were good enough for a team with ambition as great as ours. Reina was world class but not enough of us appreciated this while he was here. He made a couple of mistakes every season but so does every top keeper but it was still rare. Reina did save us points every season. He was F***ing boss actually.

This divvy in goal though is absolutely shocking. He really is. By far the worst goalie I've ever seen at Anfield.

He can't catch, he can't kick, he can't throw, he's slow, doesn't command his box, or even his six yard box, brings chaos amongst our defenders, doesn't come off his line, can't position himself correctly and I think its a myth he is a good shot stopper, he is nothing special and no better than the average keeper at stopping straight forward shots on goal.

sh*te. Get rid.

Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #3: Jan 14, 2016 01:58:31 pm
      James loved a mistake but on his day he was actually a fine goalie. Dudek and Westerveld were a bit more consistent than the clown we have in goal now but neither were good enough for a team with ambition as great as ours. Reina was world class but not enough of us appreciated this while he was here. He made a couple of mistakes every season but so does every top keeper but it was still rare. Reina did save us points every season. He was f**king boss actually.

This divvy in goal though is absolutely shocking. He really is. By far the worst goalie I've ever seen at Anfield.

He can't catch, he can't kick, he can't throw, he's slow, doesn't command his box, or even his six yard box, brings chaos amongst our defenders, doesn't come off his line, can't position himself correctly and I think its a myth he is a good shot stopper, he is nothing special and no better than the average keeper at stopping straight forward shots on goal.

Sh*te. Get rid.

And the worrying thing is he's getting a new contract. I'm hoping this is purely for getting a bigger fee? Do we go in for Jack Butland?
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #4: Jan 14, 2016 02:08:10 pm
      And the worrying thing is he's getting a new contract. I'm hoping this is purely for getting a bigger fee? Do we go in for Jack Butland?

I doubt it because I can't see any club being interested in him anyway! I've heard rumours he will be on 90K a week. If this is true then we will never get rid of him.

Think Jürgen needs to wipe the snow off his glasses and see just how bad his goalie is. He needs replacing urgently. I'd go as far as saying we need a new goalkeeper more than any other position.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #5: Jan 14, 2016 02:14:44 pm
      I've heard rumours he will be on 90K a week. If this is true then we will never get rid of him.

I've no problems with 90k a week as long as it is a subject to "a whole list of performances matrices" and "clawback clauses".
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #6: Jan 14, 2016 02:18:26 pm
      I doubt it because I can't see any club being interested in him anyway! I've heard rumours he will be on 90K a week. If this is true then we will never get rid of him.

Think Jürgen needs to wipe the snow off his glasses and see just how bad his goalie is. He needs replacing urgently. I'd go as far as saying we need a new goalkeeper more than any other position.

As long as he pays the club £100k every time he fucks up. We'll probably make his transfer cost and wages back very soon.
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #7: Jan 14, 2016 02:29:41 pm

£90k! I've heard £50k quoted.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #8: Jan 14, 2016 03:07:37 pm
      £90k! I've heard £50k quoted.

He'll most probably already be on that from when he signed.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #9: Jan 14, 2016 03:08:11 pm
      Something has to be said about John Achterburg. Mignolet has some how declined as a Goalkeeper when usually keepers get better with age. Since he's been at the club out Keepers set (starting) position before shots has been off slightly so we concede goals we shouldn't (near post clangers at Corners, Far post clangers at corners). Mignolet is in the top 3 in the league for being an unreal shot stopper but everything else is to be desired. A modern keeper touches the ball 4-5 times with their feet for every one time they do with their hands, Migs NEEDS to be a better distributor of the ball but just isn't.
      A good goalkeeper coach can definitely help a keeper with their catching, set position and communication, unfortunatly distribution is something you either have as a keeper or don't because it's something that's grained into you as a youngster.

Ward has good distribution and good handling I just worry as I think he hasn't got the shot stopping capabilites to be a top 4 goalkeeper. Maybe he has I just haven't seen a lot of him.

I have strong opinions on it because i'm a keeper myself with the odd dabble into coaching the position.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #10: Jan 14, 2016 04:39:04 pm
      James loved a mistake but on his day he was actually a fine goalie. Dudek and Westerveld were a bit more consistent than the clown we have in goal now but neither were good enough for a team with ambition as great as ours. Reina was world class but not enough of us appreciated this while he was here. He made a couple of mistakes every season but so does every top keeper but it was still rare. Reina did save us points every season. He was f**king boss actually.

Sh*te. Get rid.

All agreed.

Westerveld was a disaster and hopes for Scott Carson fell through the floor.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #11: Jan 14, 2016 05:01:32 pm

This man's longevity has included the decline of Pepe Reina, the decline of Simon Mignolet (from his Sunderland days), the decline of Brad Jones (if that was even possible), the decline of Adam Bogdan (ditto), and possibly the impending future doom of Danny Ward.
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #12: Jan 14, 2016 07:49:09 pm

This man's longevity has included the decline of Pepe Reina, the decline of Simon Mignolet (from his Sunderland days), the decline of Brad Jones (if that was even possible), the decline of Adam Bogdan (ditto), and possibly the impending future doom of Danny Ward.

He and mignolet need getting  rid off as soon as? To have him between the sticks every game is bad enough but a new contract!!!! Its embarrasing now.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #13: Jan 14, 2016 08:05:19 pm
      I am only hoping that Mignolet's contract extension is simply due to ensuring they can get a bigger fee when they sell him on.

Having looked at Klopp glaring at him after both first half goals last night I very much doubt if he will be our number one next season.

Reina was a more than adequate enough keeper for us at the time, a World Class keeper is not a necessity for success but we won't win much, if anything, with Mignolet.  We got rid of him too soon due to a personality clash, simple as that. 
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #14: Jan 14, 2016 08:57:04 pm
      This has to come to a head. Not since 1981 have we had a world class keeper at this club. When Clem moved on so did assurance and calm at the back.

Brucie was athletic and at times a great goalkeeper but he was always capable of doing something silly

Westerveld was replaced for a reason and his replacement Dudek though at times fantastic again had errors around the corner at any time. Pepe is adored and rightly so but again was no stranger to clangerville.

Which brings us to our current number 1. What a complete and utter disaster this lad is. As I mentioned last night in game, his errors not only let Arsenal into the game but visibly knocked our confidence. OK Jürgen has a point that he should have better cover at the 2nd goal but that aside he should not have been beaten. We all know is kicking is poor is catching is non existent but now were seeing his supposed strong point, shot stopping is also highly flawed. Slightly harsh but watch his position for the 3rd, a fine finish, but look were Mignolet is positioned. He offers up that entire part of the goal to Giroud.

Drop Mignolet and we see even worse in Bogdan!! This has to stop. We never produce our own goalkeepers. Name the last keeper this club brought through its ranks to be the regular number 1?

So aside from signing not good enough goalkeepers our academy is failing to produce the required standard. Which brings us to our goalkeeping coaches. How they haven't been fired by now is beyond me. Is this Acthbergs 3rd manager hes worked under and yet still survives? He must put his hands up and admit blame in this embarrassing situation.

Lastly have a think about how many points a top world class keeper gets you a season. Example last night we gain 2 points with one in our net. Add that up over a season. Plus the confidence a back 4 or entire team would get from having that type of assurance that Clemence gave, how much more belief would they have in themselves knowing that if they do make an error theres a good chance the man behind them will rescue them.

Can't disagree with any of that Brian,  I think Pepe was the closest to having world class since Clem's day for sure,
      As a club we've never really had a gk who stood out from his peers, only Brucie who was in a word slightly eccentric but very likeable and as you say a damn fine stopper,

Having said all that tho worldy keepers are rare, hence never having signed any. But like you mentioned we've never brought any up thru the ranks either,

Simple fact is we have two who are simply never going to be good enough and another fact is if this club is to once again challenge for major honours we need to have a gk calm under pressure,  who commands his area, comfortable both in the air and at feet, reads the game and acts on instinct, all ingredients that gives a back 4 confidence and of course complete and utter trust,
      Has Mignolet got any of the above?

Answers on the back of a stamp plz!

Jus need to hope Jürgen remedies this in the summer.

YNWA
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,504 posts | 234 
      Reply #15: Jan 15, 2016 09:25:03 am
      All agreed.

Westerveld was a disaster and hopes for Scott Carson fell through the floor.

I thought Wester veld was a good keeper. Not as good as Reina but better than the rest.

We should go after that 16 year old keeper for AC Milan: Gianluigi Donnarumma. He is a 6 foot 5 giant and had made 11 first team appearances already, and called the new Buffon.

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #16: Jan 15, 2016 12:10:30 pm
      Pepe is adored and rightly so but again was no stranger to clangerville.

I'll have no dissent against baldy...

Having said that, you're spot on mate. We haven't had a world class keeper for 3 decades. It's been painful watching the likes of Schmeichel, Cech, Courtois, David James, Van der Saar, Hart and so on and so forth, earn 10 points a season for our rivals where ours have cost us that much. A world class keeper doesn't just earn pints through saves, but his confidence and command of the penalty area spreads assurance throughout the defense, making them better defenders.

We paid a lot of Migs, but it was clear he was never the world class keeper-in-waiting. It'd be a miracle to bring one in the January window, so I really desperately hope we splash out in the summer for one.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #17: Jan 15, 2016 12:51:12 pm
      Our goalkeepers should be judged by their peers, by those at clubs we were competing against. Westerweld competed with a waning Seamen and Barthez for United. Dudek had to compete with Howard at United, Cech at Chelsea and Lehmann at Arsenal. Reina competed against Cech, Van der Sar and Almunia.

All of these were good keepers (great in the case of Cech) but we only had to compete with three teams at the time. Now we're also competing with an Oil-rich City and a resurgent Spurs and the gap in talent in our keepers has never been wider. Mignolet is competing against Loris at Spurs, De Gea at United, Cech at Arsenal, Hart at City and Courtois at Chelsea who also have a backup in Begovic and all of these keepers are vastly superior to ours.

There is no two ways about it, we need a world class goalkeeper (amongst other things) if we're to compete.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #18: Jan 15, 2016 01:07:14 pm
      its simple he's cost us more games than he's won us, yes last year he had the most clean sheets but its partly down to the run we had when didnt have all our CB's out and not down to his brilliance. He seems like a nice quiet reserved bloke and not a raving lunatic big character that we need in the sticks.
      we should bring in real competition for him and if he ends up as no2 then so be it he is a decent no2 but if he rises to the occasiton then win win. at the moment he doesnt have to step up as his competition is even worse and we've not really seen ward tested yet. I hope he sorts his head out and grows a pair but i somehow cant see it and i think a new GK will be bought in as no1
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #19: Jan 15, 2016 01:28:09 pm
      its simple he's cost us more games than he's won us, yes last year he had the most clean sheets but its partly down to the run we had when didnt have all our CB's out and not down to his brilliance. He seems like a nice quiet reserved bloke and not a raving lunatic big character that we need in the sticks.
      we should bring in real competition for him and if he ends up as no2 then so be it he is a decent no2 but if he rises to the occasiton then win win. at the moment he doesnt have to step up as his competition is even worse and we've not really seen ward tested yet. I hope he sorts his head out and grows a pair but i somehow cant see it and i think a new GK will be bought in as no1

It's not simply enough to have competition for his place, you need to look at who he himself is competing against outside of the club and he is too far off the pace of the other big five clubs.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #20: Jan 15, 2016 01:32:57 pm
      He's comparable with Massimo Taibi.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #21: Jan 15, 2016 01:36:09 pm
      Interesting that all have picked up on the Mignolet issue, which is a huge issue, but all have skated over the fact that this club has never produced its own goalkeeper. Particularly in the last 10 to 15 years when big efforts were being put into the academy.

This to me is a big a failing if not bigger then buying in keepers who have too many mistakes in them to be part of a side with aspirations
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #22: Jan 15, 2016 01:42:38 pm

Agree with all this Bri, top post.

I especially agree with the part about the 3rd goal, Giroud is marked by a defender therefor the keeper should naturally allow the defender to block that portion of the goal. Giroud is on the turn, all shots on tend to go towards the corner in relation to the way the man is spinning, we've all seen it time and again. Migs doesn't just stand behind our defender in relation to Giroud he makes no movement to the large and more likely area of the net the ball is going to be shot in, he stands there like a statue and watches it go in.

A good shot stopper may not have saved that effort but they would have had the instincts to predict and begin moving towards the area most likely to have been shot towards. It's simple positioning, just like a defender reads an attacker's dribble a keeper reads a forward's intentions, Migs is so bad at being a great shot stopper it's hilarious how this myth continues.

Let's not mention the first where he should save at his near post or the second where he goes in virtually direct from the corner and he is attempting to save it with his legs. Or the clear penalty they should have had for him coming out like a whippet (sarcasm) to the edge of his 6 yard box and getting nowhere near the ball.

That's 5 errors in one match, did he do anything right? How the defence of him continues really perplexes me, he's a liability.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #23: Jan 15, 2016 01:51:30 pm
      I am only hoping that Mignolet's contract extension is simply due to ensuring they can get a bigger fee when they sell him on.

Having looked at Klopp glaring at him after both first half goals last night I very much doubt if he will be our number one next season.

This also may be of interest for a Mr Balls ...

+1

Ozi is bang on.

A good goalie breeds confidence in the defence and allows them to play with freedom as well as being worth 10 points ... or more ...a season.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #24: Jan 15, 2016 10:18:01 pm
      Interesting that all have picked up on the Mignolet issue, which is a huge issue, but all have skated over the fact that this club has never produced its own goalkeeper. Particularly in the last 10 to 15 years when big efforts were being put into the academy.

This to me is a big a failing if not bigger then buying in keepers who have too many mistakes in them to be part of a side with aspirations

I think you would have to go back to Tommy Lawrence for basically the last home grown goalie.Before anyone starts jumping up and down I am aware that Tommy was scottish born. Shanks tried 3 goalies before settling on Tommy as his number one.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #25: Jan 15, 2016 11:05:23 pm
      I think you would have to go back to Tommy Lawrence for basically the last home grown goalie.Before anyone starts jumping up and down I am aware that Tommy was scottish born. Shanks tried 3 goalies before settling on Tommy as his number one.

And even Tommy had his moments. In the same game he could pull off blinding miraculous saves, then let one trickle through his hands. A goalies life eh !

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #26: Jan 16, 2016 06:24:53 am
      And even Tommy had his moments. In the same game he could pull off blinding miraculous saves, then let one trickle through his hands. A goalies life eh !

Tommy might of had his moments but nowhere as many moments and disasters as Mignolet has had.Plus the fact that Tommy had a long life at Anfield,I cannot see Mignolet lasting as long.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #27: Jan 16, 2016 10:59:32 pm
      It could be worse.

We could have Tim Howard.

F**k he is utter sh*te.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #28: Jan 16, 2016 10:59:34 pm
      Tommy might of had his moments but nowhere as many moments and disasters as Mignolet has had.Plus the fact that Tommy had a long life at Anfield,I cannot see Mignolet lasting as long.
      Have to agree with that Billy
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #29: Jan 16, 2016 11:11:31 pm
      It could be worse.

We could have Tim Howard.

F**k he is utter sh*te.

It's amazing because he seems to have been around forever initially as Fabian Barthez's replacement at Man Utd of course. But you're never quite sure how and why he's still around.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #30: Jan 16, 2016 11:13:03 pm
      It's amazing because he seems to have been around forever initially as Fabian Barthez's replacement at Man Utd of course. But you're never quite sure how and why he's still around.

Actually forgot he was at the mancs.

He went back to he US for a while in between didn't he?
      CHOW87
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #31: Jan 17, 2016 01:30:43 pm
      Actually forgot he was at the mancs.

He went back to he US for a while in between didn't he?

No he went straight there, initially on loan and then a permanent deal.

While I agree with the frustrations of never having brought through a young keeper, we're not alone in that. The Mancs have been dominant for twenty years and have brought many young players through, but never a goalie. Arsenal haven't produced a keeper in a long time, nor have Chelsea. City can take a lot of credit for spotting Hart in the lower leagues, in the same way we spotted Clem. I don't know if the big clubs in England are too scared to risk blooding a good young keeper and would rather buy one. Even now, many fans would prefer to spend £20m on Jack Butland rather than give Danny Ward a run in the team, even though they're the same age.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #32: Jan 17, 2016 04:10:03 pm
      They continue.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #33: Jan 17, 2016 04:13:20 pm
      For the love of god just sack Achterburg already, every keeper he goes near goes backwards.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #34: Jan 17, 2016 04:14:24 pm
      For the love of god just sack Achterburg already, every keeper he goes near goes backwards.

We need a new No.1 first and foremost.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #35: Jan 17, 2016 04:14:50 pm

But he works all the hours God sends so he's untouchable...who gives a F**k if he works hard the question is is he good at what he's doing in those hours? The evidence clearly says no
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #36: Jan 19, 2016 07:48:43 pm
      It's not even funny anymore is it. I would love to see what they actually say behind closed doors about Mignolet.
      If you examine his kicking it is possibly the worst ( yes even worse than his catching) aspect of his game.

The midfield and strikers no before every single game that no matter what they do, they don't have a goalkeeper, it must be putting off players from joining us?

So in short these multi millionaire geniuses watch a replay of a goalkeeper who cannot kick or catch a football - what on earth must they say?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #37: Jan 19, 2016 09:36:45 pm
      So in short these multi millionaire geniuses watch a replay of a goalkeeper who cannot kick or catch a football - what on earth must they say?

Eeerrrrrrr ,  my wife she say she like to leeve in London. I go to Chelsea, Tottingham or Arseenal. Thank you very mucho Leeeverpool.  Adios !
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #38: Jan 19, 2016 10:08:22 pm
      A world class keeper doesn't just earn pints through saves...

We're trying to get away from pub-level players mate!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #39: Jan 19, 2016 10:29:17 pm

Eeerrrrrrr ,  my wife she say she like to leeve in London. I go to Chelsea, Tottingham or Arseenal. Thank you very mucho Leeeverpool.  Adios !

We don't have to go for foreigners. There's a pretty decent keeper down the road at Stoke.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #40: Jan 19, 2016 10:49:02 pm
      It's not even funny anymore is it. I would love to see what they actually say behind closed doors about Mignolet.
      If you examine his kicking it is possibly the worst ( yes even worse than his catching) aspect of his game.

The midfield and strikers know before every single game that no matter what they do, they don't have a goalkeeper, it must be putting off players from joining us?

Are you reading this Mr Balls ?

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #41: Jan 20, 2016 08:24:03 am
      Are you reading this Mr Balls ?

What you asking me for?

I didn't get Mignolet to sign a five year contract Klopp did so he obviously doesn't mind his kicking that much.

What you haven't addressed is why - either one of you is wrong about Mignolet or he is an FSG apologist/Yes man - which is it?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #42: Jan 20, 2016 10:56:37 am
      I guess he is part of a plan that we just have the details of. it must be some plan.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,182 posts | 533 
      Reply #43: Jan 24, 2016 08:54:32 am
      I guess he is part of a plan that we just have the details of. it must be some plan.

Guess you are right there Walt, but I wonder what plan "B" is if the first plan doesn't work !
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #44: Jan 24, 2016 10:20:00 am
      What you asking me for?

I didn't get Mignolet to sign a five year contract Klopp did so he obviously doesn't mind his kicking that much.

What you haven't addressed is why - either one of you is wrong about Mignolet or he is an FSG apologist/Yes man - which is it?

Funny, the man who continues to put Mignolet in the side, who has just given him a five yr deal rather than finding some sort of suitable replacement misses all the venomous criticism levelled at the keeper. Klopp has to share some responsibility, yet while people continue to spit chips Mignolet's way you won't hear a peep going Klopp's way. (Apart from Ribaparu's more extreme view). It's hypocrisy in its finest. Some of the positive soundbites Klopp has aimed towards Mig's would have all filled this forum up with mouth froth  under the last incumbent, he'd have been considered a bullshitter extraordinaire and all sorts, yet nothing, not a peep about Klopp.

;D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #45: Jan 24, 2016 10:35:52 am
      Funny, the man who continues to put Mignolet in the side, who has just given him a five yr deal rather than finding some sort of suitable replacement misses all the venomous criticism levelled at the keeper. Klopp has to share some responsibility, yet while people continue to spit chips Mignolet's way you won't hear a peep going Klopp's way. (Apart from Ribaparu's more extreme view). It's hypocrisy in its finest. Some of the positive soundbites Klopp has aimed towards Mig's would have all filled this forum up with mouth froth  under the last incumbent, he'd have been considered a bullshitter extraordinaire and all sorts, yet nothing, not a peep about Klopp.

;D

Very true mate, Brendan (towards the end) would have been, thankfully Herr Klopp has been spared that so far.

I am happy to wait and see, as I still have faith in Klopp, something I lost in the final weeks with Brendan.   

In fairness we have supposedly made an offer for a new goalkeeper, so maybe Klopp is not quite as happy with Mignolet as he suggests?
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/12118160/Liverpool-transfer-news-and-rumours-Jürgen-Klopp-makes-enquiry-for-Kasper-Schmeichel-live.html

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #46: Jan 24, 2016 11:12:21 am

;D

This is exactly right - it's hypocrisy at its finest.

What's particularly funny is the way some are arguing that signing the player for such a long contract extension is a way of "preserving his value" - utterly delusional thinking to try and bend the facts to fit the narrative.

Quick Reply