Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Liverpool goalkeeping issues

Read 6189 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Liverpool goalkeeping issues
      Reply #23: Jan 15, 2016 01:51:30 pm
      I am only hoping that Mignolet's contract extension is simply due to ensuring they can get a bigger fee when they sell him on.

Having looked at Klopp glaring at him after both first half goals last night I very much doubt if he will be our number one next season.

This also may be of interest for a Mr Balls ...

+1

Ozi is bang on.

A good goalie breeds confidence in the defence and allows them to play with freedom as well as being worth 10 points ... or more ...a season.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #24: Jan 15, 2016 10:18:01 pm
      Interesting that all have picked up on the Mignolet issue, which is a huge issue, but all have skated over the fact that this club has never produced its own goalkeeper. Particularly in the last 10 to 15 years when big efforts were being put into the academy.

This to me is a big a failing if not bigger then buying in keepers who have too many mistakes in them to be part of a side with aspirations

I think you would have to go back to Tommy Lawrence for basically the last home grown goalie.Before anyone starts jumping up and down I am aware that Tommy was scottish born. Shanks tried 3 goalies before settling on Tommy as his number one.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #25: Jan 15, 2016 11:05:23 pm
      I think you would have to go back to Tommy Lawrence for basically the last home grown goalie.Before anyone starts jumping up and down I am aware that Tommy was scottish born. Shanks tried 3 goalies before settling on Tommy as his number one.

And even Tommy had his moments. In the same game he could pull off blinding miraculous saves, then let one trickle through his hands. A goalies life eh !

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #26: Jan 16, 2016 06:24:53 am
      And even Tommy had his moments. In the same game he could pull off blinding miraculous saves, then let one trickle through his hands. A goalies life eh !

Tommy might of had his moments but nowhere as many moments and disasters as Mignolet has had.Plus the fact that Tommy had a long life at Anfield,I cannot see Mignolet lasting as long.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #27: Jan 16, 2016 10:59:32 pm
      It could be worse.

We could have Tim Howard.

F**k he is utter sh*te.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #28: Jan 16, 2016 10:59:34 pm
      Tommy might of had his moments but nowhere as many moments and disasters as Mignolet has had.Plus the fact that Tommy had a long life at Anfield,I cannot see Mignolet lasting as long.
      Have to agree with that Billy
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #29: Jan 16, 2016 11:11:31 pm
      It could be worse.

We could have Tim Howard.

F**k he is utter sh*te.

It's amazing because he seems to have been around forever initially as Fabian Barthez's replacement at Man Utd of course. But you're never quite sure how and why he's still around.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #30: Jan 16, 2016 11:13:03 pm
      It's amazing because he seems to have been around forever initially as Fabian Barthez's replacement at Man Utd of course. But you're never quite sure how and why he's still around.

Actually forgot he was at the mancs.

He went back to he US for a while in between didn't he?
      CHOW87
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #31: Jan 17, 2016 01:30:43 pm
      Actually forgot he was at the mancs.

He went back to he US for a while in between didn't he?

No he went straight there, initially on loan and then a permanent deal.

While I agree with the frustrations of never having brought through a young keeper, we're not alone in that. The Mancs have been dominant for twenty years and have brought many young players through, but never a goalie. Arsenal haven't produced a keeper in a long time, nor have Chelsea. City can take a lot of credit for spotting Hart in the lower leagues, in the same way we spotted Clem. I don't know if the big clubs in England are too scared to risk blooding a good young keeper and would rather buy one. Even now, many fans would prefer to spend £20m on Jack Butland rather than give Danny Ward a run in the team, even though they're the same age.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #32: Jan 17, 2016 04:10:03 pm
      They continue.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #33: Jan 17, 2016 04:13:20 pm
      For the love of god just sack Achterburg already, every keeper he goes near goes backwards.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #34: Jan 17, 2016 04:14:24 pm
      For the love of god just sack Achterburg already, every keeper he goes near goes backwards.

We need a new No.1 first and foremost.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #35: Jan 17, 2016 04:14:50 pm

But he works all the hours God sends so he's untouchable...who gives a F**k if he works hard the question is is he good at what he's doing in those hours? The evidence clearly says no
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #36: Jan 19, 2016 07:48:43 pm
      It's not even funny anymore is it. I would love to see what they actually say behind closed doors about Mignolet.
      If you examine his kicking it is possibly the worst ( yes even worse than his catching) aspect of his game.

The midfield and strikers no before every single game that no matter what they do, they don't have a goalkeeper, it must be putting off players from joining us?

So in short these multi millionaire geniuses watch a replay of a goalkeeper who cannot kick or catch a football - what on earth must they say?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #37: Jan 19, 2016 09:36:45 pm
      So in short these multi millionaire geniuses watch a replay of a goalkeeper who cannot kick or catch a football - what on earth must they say?

Eeerrrrrrr ,  my wife she say she like to leeve in London. I go to Chelsea, Tottingham or Arseenal. Thank you very mucho Leeeverpool.  Adios !
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #38: Jan 19, 2016 10:08:22 pm
      A world class keeper doesn't just earn pints through saves...

We're trying to get away from pub-level players mate!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #39: Jan 19, 2016 10:29:17 pm

Eeerrrrrrr ,  my wife she say she like to leeve in London. I go to Chelsea, Tottingham or Arseenal. Thank you very mucho Leeeverpool.  Adios !

We don't have to go for foreigners. There's a pretty decent keeper down the road at Stoke.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #40: Jan 19, 2016 10:49:02 pm
      It's not even funny anymore is it. I would love to see what they actually say behind closed doors about Mignolet.
      If you examine his kicking it is possibly the worst ( yes even worse than his catching) aspect of his game.

The midfield and strikers know before every single game that no matter what they do, they don't have a goalkeeper, it must be putting off players from joining us?

Are you reading this Mr Balls ?

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #41: Jan 20, 2016 08:24:03 am
      Are you reading this Mr Balls ?

What you asking me for?

I didn't get Mignolet to sign a five year contract Klopp did so he obviously doesn't mind his kicking that much.

What you haven't addressed is why - either one of you is wrong about Mignolet or he is an FSG apologist/Yes man - which is it?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #42: Jan 20, 2016 10:56:37 am
      I guess he is part of a plan that we just have the details of. it must be some plan.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,182 posts | 533 
      Reply #43: Jan 24, 2016 08:54:32 am
      I guess he is part of a plan that we just have the details of. it must be some plan.

Guess you are right there Walt, but I wonder what plan "B" is if the first plan doesn't work !
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #44: Jan 24, 2016 10:20:00 am
      What you asking me for?

I didn't get Mignolet to sign a five year contract Klopp did so he obviously doesn't mind his kicking that much.

What you haven't addressed is why - either one of you is wrong about Mignolet or he is an FSG apologist/Yes man - which is it?

Funny, the man who continues to put Mignolet in the side, who has just given him a five yr deal rather than finding some sort of suitable replacement misses all the venomous criticism levelled at the keeper. Klopp has to share some responsibility, yet while people continue to spit chips Mignolet's way you won't hear a peep going Klopp's way. (Apart from Ribaparu's more extreme view). It's hypocrisy in its finest. Some of the positive soundbites Klopp has aimed towards Mig's would have all filled this forum up with mouth froth  under the last incumbent, he'd have been considered a bullshitter extraordinaire and all sorts, yet nothing, not a peep about Klopp.

;D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #45: Jan 24, 2016 10:35:52 am
      Funny, the man who continues to put Mignolet in the side, who has just given him a five yr deal rather than finding some sort of suitable replacement misses all the venomous criticism levelled at the keeper. Klopp has to share some responsibility, yet while people continue to spit chips Mignolet's way you won't hear a peep going Klopp's way. (Apart from Ribaparu's more extreme view). It's hypocrisy in its finest. Some of the positive soundbites Klopp has aimed towards Mig's would have all filled this forum up with mouth froth  under the last incumbent, he'd have been considered a bullshitter extraordinaire and all sorts, yet nothing, not a peep about Klopp.

;D

Very true mate, Brendan (towards the end) would have been, thankfully Herr Klopp has been spared that so far.

I am happy to wait and see, as I still have faith in Klopp, something I lost in the final weeks with Brendan.   

In fairness we have supposedly made an offer for a new goalkeeper, so maybe Klopp is not quite as happy with Mignolet as he suggests?
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/12118160/Liverpool-transfer-news-and-rumours-Jürgen-Klopp-makes-enquiry-for-Kasper-Schmeichel-live.html

Quick Reply