Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

The "It's all Brendan Rodgers fault" thread.

Read 6869 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      The "It's all Brendan Rodgers fault" thread.
      Jan 17, 2016 08:04:54 pm
      It appears to me that whenever Lallana plays sh!te, or Benteke misses a sitter, or we lose a game, or Lovren makes an error, or Mignolet just is Mignolet, it's always Brendan Rodgers fault. Now I'm not saying for one second that any of that or all of it isn't his fault, but I do find it kind of clogs up sensible discussions about other stuff.

So I thought I'd start a thread about it then everyone who's got an axe to grind about the previous manager can come in here to put the boot in. They can call him all the c**** under the sun without bothering anyone else, anyone who wants to defend him can come in here and give it the old "hey now hang on a minute...." etc etc. That way, all Brendan stuff is gathered in one place. I think it's a good idea, I'm not sure the mods will go for it but it makes perfect sense to me.

I'll get it started. It's Brendan Rodgers fault that we paid 25 million quid for Adam Lallana. He has turned out to be a poor buy IMHO and I think we would be very lucky to get 10 million quid for him. If we put him up for sale tomorrow, my guess is we would receive offers of around 8 million quid from the likes of Everton, Southampton, Stoke etc.

siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Re: The "It's all Brendan Rodgers fault" thread.
      Reply #1: Jan 17, 2016 08:12:44 pm
      It's all Brendan's fault that we ended up with Migs between the sticks. We could have still had Reina, who is btw play in a team top of their league.

Oh and he just admitted that he was lying to us all the way about having the final say on transfers.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2: Jan 17, 2016 08:13:42 pm
      Nice one Mick.
      If all the 'BR is a sham' stuff from other threads gets routed here instead, should fill up good and quick :)

On Lallana. If JJ Shelvey is worth £12mill, maybe we can squeeze 15 or 16 for Adam ...

BTW - is Benteke a 'BR signing', or was that a committee decision ?  Cause for me, twas big Ben that really holed him below the waterline...
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #3: Jan 17, 2016 08:16:30 pm
      It's all Brendan Rodgers fault that i'm finding it a bit difficult to get a horn lately .
      It's all Brendan Rodgers fault that i will never get my teeth whitened .
      It's all Brendan Rodgers fault that i will never get botox done .
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #4: Jan 17, 2016 08:20:22 pm
      Nice one Mick.
      If all the 'BR is a sham' stuff from other threads gets routed here instead, should fill up good and quick :)

On Lallana. If JJ Shelvey is worth £12mill, maybe we can squeeze 15 or 16 for Adam ...

BTW - is Benteke a 'BR signing', or was that a committee decision ?  Cause for me, twas big Ben that really holed him below the waterline...

Shelvey at 12 mill is an interesting one mate, I think he's a decent buy at that if you can get his head right. Benteke was almost certainly (infact centrainly) a Rodgers signing. In his case, i think we'd get most of our money back when he is sold and my guess is it'll probably be in the Summer. He IS a good player, just totally unsuited it seems to Jurgens style  judging by how he is handled.

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5: Jan 17, 2016 08:29:43 pm

Benteke was almost certainly (infact centrainly) a Rodgers signing. In his case, i think we'd get most of our money back when he is sold and my guess is it'll probably be in the Summer. He IS a good player, just totally unsuited it seems to Jurgens style  judging by how he is handled.

Benteke, and our indifferent efforts in attempting to accommodate his style of play, is what eventually did for BR imo (final nail, whatever), and we're still feeling the effects
      Jürgen has tried, but looks like he's given up (at least for now)

Injuries though have also had a big part to play recently in poor form ... which reminds me ... damn BR to hell for leaving Klopp a bunch of malingering unfit lumps to try and whip into shape
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6: Jan 17, 2016 09:24:32 pm
      Mignolet
      Lallana
      Benteke
      Balotelli

"It's all Brendan Rodgers fault."

Have I done that right then?

welshred
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #7: Jan 17, 2016 09:26:36 pm
      Yes it is.

1) Brendan Rodgers is the person who told us all he would have final say, yet now he has suddenly come out and revealed that he did not have final say - this leads us to believe he was protecting number one

2) Brendan Rodgers is the person who allowed himself to be undermined by the transfer committee rather than walk away with his head held high like Tony Pulis - he did not threaten to walk or challenge the system but simply fell in line like a coward - this leads us to believe he was protecting number one

3) Brendan Rodgers is the person that allowed us to sign the best of a list of options of players he didn't want - he even admitted it in the interview that he didn't really want Balotelli and he was signed last minute because we missed out on Sanchez - what a waste of money but I mean, he had to pick someone off the list? Better to waste money than save it, right? I mean, not like there's another transfer window in a few months where he can spend more wisely, right? The guy admitted to panic buying at great detriment to the club and that is his fault

4) Brendan Rodgers is the person who kept telling us that these average players showed great character when they never showed any character whatsoever - he continued to talk complete crap to the fans like we were morons who would fall for it

So in short, yes it is Brendan Rodgers fault.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10032721/Brendan-Rodgers-I-decide-Liverpool-signings.html

He could have walked away with credibility like Pulis but chose to protect number one at great detriment to the club. Also, he took the cowardly route and never stood up to the hierarchy of the club and the transfer committee. If he was a true manager and had any ounce of respect for the fans he'd have battled against the transfer committee and worked in the best long term interests of the club but this self servant never, he just continued to do what suited him whilst peddling us pathetic anecdotes like 'the group showed great character' - seriously, he can shove his character where the sun don't shine.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tony-pulis-crystal-palace-manager-quits-on-the-eve-of-new-premier-league-season-9669942.html

The only thing that Brendan Rodgers did a very good of was undermining himself and taking our club backwards, but continue to delude yourself that this isn't the case because a Uruguayan named Luis Suarez almost dragged us to the title in one season by putting on miraculous display after miraculous display. The only good thing Brendan did was back Suarez in a time of need and he had to do that because without Suarez his job was on the line, as proven by how crap and one dimensional we became once Suarez left.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,508 posts | 1484 
      Reply #8: Jan 17, 2016 09:31:50 pm
      It's all Brendan Rogers fault that we had to start this thread. :lmao:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9: Jan 17, 2016 09:38:05 pm
      Yes it is.

1) Brendan Rodgers is the person who told us all he would have final say, yet now he has suddenly come out and revealed that he did not have final say - this leads us to believe he was protecting number one

2) Brendan Rodgers is the person who allowed himself to be undermined by the transfer committee rather than walk away with his head held high like Tony Pulis - he did not threaten to walk or challenge the system but simply fell in line like a coward - this leads us to believe he was protecting number one

3) Brendan Rodgers is the person that allowed us to sign the best of a list of options of players he didn't want - he even admitted it in the interview that he didn't really want Balotelli and he was signed last minute because we missed out on Sanchez - what a waste of money but I mean, he had to pick someone off the list? Better to waste money than save it, right? I mean, not like there's another transfer window in a few months where he can spend more wisely, right? The guy admitted to panic buying at great detriment to the club and that is his fault

4) Brendan Rodgers is the person who kept telling us that these average players showed great character when they never showed any character whatsoever - he continued to talk complete crap to the fans like we were morons who would fall for it

So in short, yes it is Brendan Rodgers fault.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10032721/Brendan-Rodgers-I-decide-Liverpool-signings.html

He could have walked away with credibility like Pulis but chose to protect number one at great detriment to the club. Also, he took the cowardly route and never stood up to the hierarchy of the club and the transfer committee. If he was a true manager and had any ounce of respect for the fans he'd have battled against the transfer committee and worked in the best long term interests of the club but this self servant never, he just continued to do what suited him whilst peddling us pathetic anecdotes like 'the group showed great character' - seriously, he can shove his character where the sun don't shine.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tony-pulis-crystal-palace-manager-quits-on-the-eve-of-new-premier-league-season-9669942.html

The only thing that Brendan Rodgers did a very good of was undermining himself and taking our club backwards, but continue to delude yourself that this isn't the case because a Uruguayan named Luis Suarez almost dragged us to the title in one season by putting on miraculous display after miraculous display. The only good thing Brendan did was back Suarez in a time of need and he had to do that because without Suarez his job was on the line, as proven by how crap and one dimensional we became once Suarez left.

I thought you had gone to bed?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #10: Jan 17, 2016 09:41:42 pm
      Can I be the first to mention his teeth , his car, his portrait and Being Liverpool. :)
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #11: Jan 17, 2016 09:45:18 pm
      Can I be the first to mention his teeth ,
      No you can't i got there first .

welshred
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #12: Jan 17, 2016 09:48:09 pm
      Someone needs to show Rodgers this

I just picture the transfer committee holding a gun to Rodgers' head saying 'pick one of:'

1) Balotelli
      2) Benteke
      3) Bony
      4) Sanchez

Rodgers: I'll take Sanchez

Transfer Committee: Wrong choice, try again *gun pointing intensifies*

Rodgers: oh, okay then, Balotelli it is.

Transfer Committee: Good choice. Every other manager and club who has had signed him has told us he's a complete arsehole but he has the potential to be worth £2.5bn and with the financial fair play regulations becoming stricter, we need to sort out the books this year. We will give you £16m to spend on him and want you to become the second coming of Jesus, perform some miracles, and develop him into a world class player.

Rodgers: Okay, sounds like a good idea. I think in a few months I'll get the lad to show great character with the rest of the group.

But no, what Rodgers should have said is: If we can't get Sanchez then I don't want any of those players because they do not fit my system and footballing philosophy. These players would be an incredible waste of money, and rather than panic buy now, can I utilise what resources I do have currently and save the money and use it in the next transfer window to buy a player that fits our requirements?

Rodgers had 10000000 options with a gun held to his head being told by the transfer committee to pick an option and instead he just picked one of the options put in front of him like a complete coward. If you are going to allow yourself to be walked all over then you cant cry when they do that.

When the transfer committee told Rodgers to pick one of their options, this should have been his response.

welshred
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #13: Jan 17, 2016 09:49:35 pm

I did go to bed, I slept for an hour or so, and now I'm back awake. I'd have rather awoken up tomorrow morning next to hot chick from Brazil but we can't always get what we want in life.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #14: Jan 17, 2016 09:52:30 pm
      How can it be any managers fault when you have no real say in who you want to sign? If you are given a list of players and told to pick one from that list in theory "You have the final say" But it still does not mean that it was the player you wanted to sign, simple that you are choosing the best players available to you from that list
      welshred
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #15: Jan 17, 2016 09:57:53 pm
      How can it be any managers fault when you have no real say in who you want to sign? If you are given a list of players and told to pick one from that list in theory "You have the final say" But it still does not mean that it was the player you wanted to sign, simple that you are choosing the best players available to you from that list

So why pick any of them? Why not stand up for yourself? Why not fight back in the long-term interests of the club? Nothing changes if you fall in line. Rodgers had an opportunity to defend his footballing philosophy and challenge the transfer committee but instead he chose to protect number one at the detriment of the club.

Having a list of 4 players put in front of you doesn't mean you have to pick one. Ever heard of something called saving? Ever heard of something of investing in the right time? People are acting like the transfer committee held a gun to Rodgers' head and he had to pick one or else. No, he didn't. He just decided it was better to waste money now on players he didn't want than to wait until the right time.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,608 posts | 752 
      Reply #16: Jan 17, 2016 10:07:16 pm
      So why pick any of them? Why not stand up for yourself? Why not fight back in the long-term interests of the club? Nothing changes if you fall in line. Rodgers had an opportunity to defend his footballing philosophy and challenge the transfer committee but instead he chose to protect number one at the detriment of the club.

Having a list of 4 players put in front of you doesn't mean you have to pick one. Ever heard of something called saving? Ever heard of something of investing in the right time? People are acting like the transfer committee held a gun to Rodgers' head and he had to pick one or else. No, he didn't. He just decided it was better to waste money now on players he didn't want than to wait until the right time.

do u think Klopps first choice was to sign Caulker?

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17: Jan 17, 2016 10:10:00 pm
       ;D
      welshred
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #18: Jan 17, 2016 10:10:40 pm
      do u think Klopps first choice was to sign Caulker?

Seriously, no I don't. However, it is an emergency signing and not a permanent deal, so I'm okay with that. For me, that is when a transfer committee should come into play. They should be preparing suitable options for short term fixes whilst the manager and head scout look at young talent and quality additions now. With Klopp as manager, only time will tell, but again, if he allows himself to be undermined that is his fault as well. I don't think he will but I may be proven wrong. Life works that way sometimes.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,039 posts | 537 
      Reply #19: Jan 17, 2016 10:14:01 pm

I think its a case of how strong the manager is. And also how strong a position he's in at the club at the time.

Brendan in the summer of 2014 was in a very strong position. We had nearly won the league ( way ahead of expectations) and played great stuff. His stock was very high. A stronger man in that position would have insisted on getting his way - certainly on the key signing, which was a striker to replace Suarez.

The club failed to get Sanchez and then basically just sat on their hands before almost at the last minute saying "Its Balotelli or nobody". Faced with that choice its not surprising he went for Balotelli, but he shouldnt have let it get to that situation to begin with. He should have been demanding to get in his own choice, even being prepared to walk away if necessary.

Of course its easy to say that with hindsight, and he probably knows it himself now, but at the time he just wasnt strong enough to face down the owners.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20: Jan 17, 2016 10:16:58 pm
      I think its a case of how strong the manager is. And also how strong a position he's in at the club at the time.

Brendan in the summer of 2014 was in a very strong position. We had nearly won the league ( way ahead of expectations) and played great stuff. His stock was very high. A stronger man in that position would insisted on getting his way - certainly on the key signing, which was a striker to replace Suarez.

The club failed to get Sanchez and then basically just sat on their hands before almost at the last minute saying "Its Balotelli or nobody". Faced with that choice its not surprising he went fro Balotelli, but he shouldnt have let it get to that situation to begin with. He should have been demanding to get in his own choice, even being prepared to walk away if necessary.

Of course its easy to say that with hindsight, and he probably knows that himself now, but at the time he just wasnt strong enough to face down the owners.

Still find it hard to believe that we didn't include Sanchez in the Suarez deal. No Sanchez, NO DEAL!
      welshred
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts | 128 
      Reply #21: Jan 17, 2016 10:23:48 pm
      Still find it hard to believe that we didn't include Sanchez in the Suarez deal. No Sanchez, NO DEAL!

I don't find anything hard to believe with Liverpool FC anymore.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #22: Jan 17, 2016 10:28:43 pm
      Blame the committee/owners. (Edit: There is cynical sarcasm attached to this post. Rant away though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkGyxzILgY
      « Last Edit: Jan 17, 2016 10:46:25 pm by racerx34 »

Quick Reply