Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

The Summer Clearout and Rebuilding the Squad

Read 34776 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: The Summer Clearout and Rebuilding the Squad
      Reply #276: May 19, 2016 10:06:54 am
      Hope Moreno is emptying his locker at Melwood.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #277: May 19, 2016 10:09:50 am
      We will not need a huge squad next season and if we play the kids in the League cup we are looking at players having a season of 40 odd games.
      Clyne,Sakho and Lovren stay for me Migs and Moreno should go. Midfield is the place were the work needs doing we have to have a bit of steel in it and at present we do not.
      Lucas has been great but his pace is his down fall now so him and Lallana for me should go leaving Milner,Can,henderson.
      Obviously Firmino and Couthino stay as would Sturridge,Origi and yes Benteke who given a full pre season with Klopp might just prove us all wrong.
      So foe me it would be 3 or 4 players but experienced top class players even if they are 30 years old or more we need a better balance in the squad.

Think we need a couple of CB's too mate (well one and Matip). Going for 5 quality players plus a couple of prospects myself. Obviously a lot depends on what happens with Sakho and Toure. 
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,044 posts | 537 
      Reply #278: May 19, 2016 10:11:34 am
      We do not need a summer clearout. This is kneejerking.

We need a left back, a goalie and probably a striker ( depending on what happens with Sturridge and Benteke).
      A quality DM in for either Lucas or Joe Allen would be good but Can, Hendo and Milner are all decent options there and none of them should be sold.

The performances against Manure, Dortmund and Villareal showed what we can do. Sort out the LB and goalie so that we stop gifting teams back into games and we are a good side.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #279: May 19, 2016 10:12:25 am
      I think we need some steel in the middle of the park to sit alongside Can.  I don't think Milner, Henderson or Allen are good enough to dominate the midfield. 

You will then hopefully have Couts, Firmino, Gotze and Sturridge ahead of them who will terrorise any defence.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,613 posts | 7142 
      Reply #280: May 19, 2016 01:24:27 pm
      Hope Moreno is emptying his locker at Melwood.

if he gives me the call I can be there in 30 mins to give him a hand and a lift to the Airport
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,613 posts | 7142 
      Reply #281: May 19, 2016 01:25:54 pm
      Think we need a couple of CB's too mate (well one and Matip). Going for 5 quality players plus a couple of prospects myself. Obviously a lot depends on what happens with Sakho and Toure. 

what about Gomez ?. We need Souness,Hughes,Terry Mac PhilThompson proper grown up men
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,718 posts | 3941 
      Reply #282: May 19, 2016 01:37:20 pm
      Now that the season I would be disappointed if the following left

Clyne
      Can
      Firmino
      Coutinho
      Sturridge
      Origi

Couldn't care less about the rest.

Agreed. I wouldn't even mind losing Lovren. I just haven't warmed to anyone except for those mentioned above
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #283: May 19, 2016 01:42:40 pm
      if he gives me the call I can be there in 30 mins to give him a hand and a lift to the Airport

I heard he went straight back home together with the Sevilla team. :lmao:
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #284: May 19, 2016 02:01:58 pm
      Migs
      Lovren, Clyne, Matip, Gomez, Moreno
      Hendo, Allen, Can & Guiji
      Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana, Ojo & Canos
      Sturridge, Origi & Ings

Bold are the first teamers, rest can fight for the remaining spots or warm the bench.

New GK, RB, LB, CB, DM/DLPM and new attacking player.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #285: May 19, 2016 02:02:21 pm

Can he actually find his way to the locker? I don't think he has enough cells in his brain even for that.  :mad:
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #286: May 19, 2016 04:10:42 pm
      There is no point in playing kids in cups cos those are actually opportunities for us to have stronger runs. I say utilize the squad, Jürgen will find a way to give enough minutes to all players based on form and he WILL go for the 3 domestic competitions.

Skrtel and Benteke might be the only high profile casualties. Moreno and Mignolet might still be options. Anyone who is gonna sulk can leave for sure! But everyone knows we are starting an era under this man!!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4412 
      Reply #287: May 19, 2016 04:14:48 pm
      I imagine the players who stay will be those who Jürgen believes fit into his style of play but also just as importantly won't sh*t their pants at the first sign of pressure!
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #288: May 19, 2016 04:51:51 pm
      I imagine the players who stay will be those who Jürgen believes fit into his style of play but also just as importantly won't sh*t their pants at the first sign of pressure!

So none of them then haha
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #289: May 19, 2016 05:00:01 pm

Clyne
      Can
      Firmino
      Coutinho
      Sturridge
      Origi

Yeh

I'll go with that  H.

Lovren. Undecided.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,613 posts | 7142 
      Reply #290: May 19, 2016 05:04:49 pm
      I am not sure Sturridge will be here. He finds it difficult to be part of any build up play he is the kid in the school playground who always hung around the goal and I think Klopp wants far more from his players. Young Origi for instance definitely has an impact on the team even when he does not score.Danny wants to be first name on the team sheet and I don't think Jürgen has the same view.
      We have Studge,Benteke,Origi and Ings my guess is Benteke will still be here before Danny.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #291: May 19, 2016 05:19:17 pm
      I am not sure Sturridge will be here. He finds it difficult to be part of any build up play he is the kid in the school playground who always hung around the goal and I think Klopp wants far more from his players. Young Origi for instance definitely has an impact on the team even when he does not score.Danny wants to be first name on the team sheet and I don't think Jürgen has the same view.
      We have Studge,Benteke,Origi and Ings my guess is Benteke will still be here before Danny.

I think we'd be making a huge mistake by selling him. He may not get involved in as much build up play but he scores goals better than anybody we currently have. I genuinely don't see us finishing inside the top 4 next season if we keep Benteke over Sturridge. I'm not saying we should be getting rid of Benteke though. Consistent goalscorers are few and far between. Origi isn't tried and tested over a season so whilst he's shown glimpses of what he can do, it's a huge risk to rely on him as the main goalscorer.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #292: May 19, 2016 08:24:35 pm

Matip, Lovren, and Gomez are all definitely going to be here and you still think we need two more centre backs? Considering we've no European football next season, I think those three and Lucas as cover would be more than enough, especially if Sakho only is hit with a six month ban.

what about Gomez ?. We need Souness,Hughes,Terry Mac PhilThompson proper grown up men

Why don't you name me the Souness, Hughes, Terry Mac, Thompson that is currently playing right now?

You don't think Sturridge is involved in the build up play?! He's been dropping deep to try and get involved all the time. He really can't win with our supporters. If I was in Sturridge's shoes and had no real attachment to the club, I'd be asking to leave. To have one of the best strike rates in our history and one of the best goals + assists per game ratios in premier league history and still be treated with such disdain is incredible. He's comfortably the second best striker in the league, he consistently performs for us, and yet still a large portion of our supporters don't think it would be a bad thing to sell him.

It's definitely a good idea to sell him though and start using a striker who's had a dozen good games for us and just as many average/poor ones.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #293: May 19, 2016 08:27:53 pm

Clyne
      Can
      Firmino
      Coutinho
      Sturridge
      Origi

Pretty much the same to be honest mate, but I would add Ings to that list. Lucas too of course ;)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #294: May 19, 2016 08:36:53 pm
      Matip, Lovren, and Gomez are all definitely going to be here and you still think we need two more centre backs? Considering we've no European football next season, I think those three and Lucas as cover would be more than enough, especially if Sakho only is hit with a six month ban.

Depends whether we are happy just competing for a place in the top 6, or whether we are really interested in achieving something.

Gomez is a young kid who will be a good option at fullback but not really my go to pick at CB. Lucas again could probably do a job there at a pinch(if he's still here?) but not one I would want to rely on too often. Sakho ? Could be anywhere between 6 months and never, before we see him again.

So that leaves us with Lovren and Matip (who I have never seen play btw). Personally I think we need at least one more (well one and Matip) as I said in my previous post.   

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,613 posts | 7142 
      Reply #295: May 19, 2016 08:43:22 pm

Why don't you name me the Souness, Hughes, Terry Mac, Thompson that is currently playing right now?

You don't think Sturridge is involved in the build up play?! He's been dropping deep to try and get involved all the time. He really can't win with our supporters. If I was in Sturridge's shoes and had no real attachment to the club, I'd be asking to leave. To have one of the best strike rates in our history and one of the best goals + assists per game ratios in premier league history and still be treated with such disdain is incredible. He's comfortably the second best striker in the league, he consistently performs for us, and yet still a large portion of our supporters don't think it would be a bad thing to sell him.

It's definitely a good idea to sell him though and start using a striker who's had a dozen good games for us and just as many average/poor ones.

so hendo,Milner etc is as good as it  gets. Sturridge is a finisher and if he was fit Origi probably would have played as Jürgen likes the way he plays for the team if you want to convince me that Daniel is a team player don't bother as good as he is at what he does he plays for Daniel.
      Would you be comfortable building a team around a player that is so fragile fitness wise?. He has been nursed to fitness and despite his affirmation of his strength and fitness he would need to play a lot more games to convince people he is over his fitness problems.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #296: May 20, 2016 04:36:17 am
      Depends whether we are happy just competing for a place in the top 6, or whether we are really interested in achieving something.

Gomez is a young kid who will be a good option at fullback but not really my go to pick at CB. Lucas again could probably do a job there at a pinch(if he's still here?) but not one I would want to rely on too often. Sakho ? Could be anywhere between 6 months and never, before we see him again.

So that leaves us with Lovren and Matip (who I have never seen play btw). Personally I think we need at least one more (well one and Matip) as I said in my previous post.   

Of course we're interested in achieving something. I just don't see how spreading our money more thinly is the way to go about doing that.

Gomez might occasionally play right back under Klopp if Flanagan isn't trusted, but I'd bet good money that centre back is where he plays 90% of his games next season (barring an unusual injury to one of our full backs). There were strong rumours that Klopp was going to give Gomez the nod at centre back for his first game in charge against Spurs and Barrett has said Gomez was the young player that Klopp was most looking forward to working with. I think people underestimate just how big a role he'll play and just how highly rated he is. Lucas hasn't disappointed this season when he's been asked to play in defence and his experience and leadership is great to have around the squad. Again, we're only in three competitions next season. We can't have a squad that is huge. Lovren, Matip, Gomez, and Lucas is more than enough. Sakho's ban length also has a major factor to play in this because if he's only out for six months, then another centre back would definitely be overkill.

so hendo,Milner etc is as good as it  gets.

No, I didn't say that. I asked you who these real men were who also happen to be brilliant footballers? It's easy to say we need a Souness or a Hughes, but as I expected, you weren't able to name me a player who is a hard man, but also happens to be a brilliant footballer.

Sturridge is a finisher and if he was fit Origi probably would have played as Jürgen likes the way he plays for the team if you want to convince me that Daniel is a team player don't bother as good as he is at what he does he plays for Daniel.
      Would you be comfortable building a team around a player that is so fragile fitness wise?. He has been nursed to fitness and despite his affirmation of his strength and fitness he would need to play a lot more games to convince people he is over his fitness problems.

Yeah, Sturridge is a finisher. He's a bloody brilliant finisher. He's also brilliant at dropping deep and creating chances, as well as getting involved in build up play. He's good at creating chances for himself and for others. All players play for themselves. Sturridge is a striker. All the best ones are selfish. Did you dislike Suarez for being selfish? Occasionally he makes the wrong decision in the final third where he shoots when he should pass (something every striker is guilty of), but he still has created a number of chances for other players this season.

Nah, I don't think we should build our team around Sturridge. I don't think we should build it around any one player. Sturridge is by far our best player though and I definitely want him in our team and playing most weeks.

Given the choice between building around Sturridge and Origi, a striker who's had a dozen good games for us and just as many average ones, I'd rather build around Sturridge all day long.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,844 posts | 6785 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #297: May 20, 2016 05:28:17 am
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #298: May 20, 2016 06:05:46 am

Is this aimed at me re. Sturridge?