Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

The Summer Clearout and Rebuilding the Squad

Read 35066 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Re: The Summer Clearout and Rebuilding the Squad
      Reply #92: Feb 07, 2016 11:30:06 am
      Just been looking at the toffees squad, and pains me to say but prob only Coutinho is good enough to get in there team at the moment, and Sturridge if it was two up top, never thought I'd see the day, sad times, and major changes needed, starting with the scouting and recruitment policy.

Ahhhhh Firmino???
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #93: Feb 07, 2016 11:33:04 am

Fill your squad with mediocre players and then you find you have no room left to buy the quality you need to progress.

Sorry to abridge a very perceptive comment mate but the last paragraph puts it all into focus.
      There is no reason to think the signing policy under JWH&Co will change after nearly five years of searching out the mediocre, even the mediocre as an ingredient of a ''squad overhaul'' would cost an arm and a leg - or whatever the American interpretation is.

Jürgen Klopp we are told has an eye for undiscovered talent and his frugal comments thus far indicate that any Mourinho style big signings are a no no, maybe the mediocre, or a level of apparent averageness in some players can be discounted and Jürgen is able to see something that other managers overlook.
      There is also of course the attraction of playing under a manager you respect and know is a winner.

A billion dollar transformation ain't gonna happen, we might see some dross moved on and replaced by Jürgen's version of potential, it is to be hoped that Jürgen's hopefuls are a vast improvement on previous models - could be the last chance saloon for the Yanks.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #94: Feb 07, 2016 11:40:52 am
      Sakho is sh*te never in a million years is he part of our future if that future includes success

Is sh*te ... has always been sh*te ... and always will be sh*te.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #95: Feb 07, 2016 12:01:52 pm
      Is sh*te ... has always been sh*te ... and always will be sh*te.

He did carry on like one of those arl Subbuteo frozen models, rooted to the spot until prompted to flail his arms and legs about in the hope of making contact.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #96: Feb 07, 2016 01:19:55 pm
      I'm surprised as a fan base we aren't a little more perceptive, particularly as Leicester are providing a perfect example of how supposedly average players can suddenly become quite good in a functional team. Is Robert Huth "sh!te?", well Stoke weren't exactly knocked over in the rush when they offered him up for 3 million quid. I can only imagine what would have been said on here if "that f****** idiot Rodgers" had brought him to Anfield, similarly Mark Albrighton from Aston Villa's reserves.   

My point? Well it isn't that we should start shopping in Aston Villa's reserves, it's that we should hold our horses a little before we label our players sh!te. Sakho is far from being that, we just can't keep dismissing players simply because they aren't playing well in a dysfunctional team otherwise we'll never get anywhere.

The issue for Sakho and for most of our defensive frailty is Mignolet. He saves nothing and he contributes hugely to our nervous disposition. He isn't sh!te either, but he is "shot" (almost the same thing but not quite) and it is he who we ought to replace, starting with the next match.

As for him being a "parting gift" from Brendan to Jürgen, it was obviously a gift which was extremely well appreciated. It's not often we take every step to ensure we don't somehow lose gifts which we don't like, so in terms of who is in goal for Liverpool from week to week I think we can assume it's 100% Jurgens choice. It's high time he changed his opinion.   
      DanRed44
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts | 18 
      Reply #97: Feb 07, 2016 01:24:07 pm
      Although he has been playing better of late, and scored a few goals, still a long way to go for me, and Egerton have Lukaku and Barkley in his position, so deffo wouldn't get in the side at the moment in my opinion.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #98: Feb 07, 2016 01:44:57 pm
      Although he has been playing better of late, and scored a few goals, still a long way to go for me, and Egerton have Lukaku and Barkley in his position, so deffo wouldn't get in the side at the moment in my opinion.

Lukaku and Barkley are more inconsistent than Firmino is.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,500 posts | 233 
      Reply #99: Feb 07, 2016 02:23:58 pm

I wish we bought Lukaku instead of Benteke. Some target men do work in different formations, and he is a lot more aggressive/powerful than Benteke. Scores lots of goals.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #100: Feb 07, 2016 02:26:55 pm

have you seen how many goals they have scored I think its 30 now . So take Benteke and Firmino and we have what 12 or so.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #101: Feb 07, 2016 02:28:56 pm

My point? Well it isn't that we should start shopping in Aston Villa's reserves, it's that we should hold our horses a little before we label our players sh!te. Sakho is far from being that, we just can't keep dismissing players simply because they aren't playing well in a dysfunctional team otherwise we'll never get anywhere.

The issue for Sakho and for most of our defensive frailty is Mignolet. He saves nothing and he contributes hugely to our nervous disposition. He isn't sh!te either, but he is "shot" (almost the same thing but not quite) and it is he who we ought to replace, starting with the next match.

As for him being a "parting gift" from Brendan to Jürgen, it was obviously a gift which was extremely well appreciated. It's not often we take every step to ensure we don't somehow lose gifts which we don't like, so in terms of who is in goal for Liverpool from week to week I think we can assume it's 100% Jurgens choice. It's high time he changed his opinion.   

Mick someone on the forum recently confirmed how much Sakho continually is out of position when we let in goals.
      Usually wrong-sided. 
      You cant teach that . It is instinctive . You know where to be or you don't. 
      He might be an international ..... but hey ...... so is Mignolet. !

Positioning ?
      Benteke seems to have a similar affliction.
      DanRed44
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts | 18 
      Reply #102: Feb 07, 2016 03:52:08 pm
      Completely disagree as most LFC fans would, Barkley has had a terrific season, Firmino has played well in 3 or 4 games Max, but genuinely believe he is a talent, and Lukaku has been superb all season, how many goals has he scored??????
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #103: Feb 07, 2016 05:40:07 pm
      What the f**k is wrong with Sakho? I like him and he was performing well before he got injured, but now? This is the worst defensive performances I've seen in years - worse than Lovren in his first season perhaps.

On the other hand, I've not got any real complaints about Lovren. Definitely one to keep and he has improved five fold under Klopp, so fingers crossed he can get better and better.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #104: Feb 07, 2016 05:54:36 pm
      just seen DeGea once again do incredible stuff we need a David DeGea and if it cost us every penny we have this summer it will be money well spent
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #105: Feb 07, 2016 06:01:50 pm
      I definitely want to see more exits than arrivals this year. We've been in transition for five years now so it would be nice if we can kick on by adding some real quality to the side. Like I've said before, a goal keeper that is well rounded, a commanding Centre back and a striker that knows where the goal is. I don't care if he doesn't have the silky skills of Suarez or Aguero so long as he has a talent for sticking the ball in the back of the net.

Lukaku and Barkley have both been in the Premier League longer, so you'd expect them to have more consistency. Firmino shouldn't be judged until next season.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,516 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #106: Feb 07, 2016 06:10:09 pm
      Just been looking at the toffees squad, and pains me to say but prob only Coutinho is good enough to get in there team at the moment, and Sturridge if it was two up top, never thought I'd see the day, sad times, and major changes needed, starting with the scouting and recruitment policy.

they are so much better than us that they are above us on goal difference. Too many people listening to Martinez's hysterical hype.
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 91 
      Reply #107: Feb 07, 2016 06:21:22 pm
      Here's a thought, just watching Souey and Thierry on Super Sunday, Chelsea don't want John Terry. How about Liverpool signing him to help sort the back out.

I know he's not everyone's favourite but Harry Redknapp recently told a story on the radio where he helped a young terminally ill boy called Tommy out of the blue and was absolutely tremendous.

Any thoughts?
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #108: Feb 07, 2016 06:58:57 pm
      Here's a thought, just watching Souey and Thierry on Super Sunday, Chelsea don't want John Terry. How about Liverpool signing him to help sort the back out.

I know he's not everyone's favourite but Harry Redknapp recently told a story on the radio where he helped a young terminally ill boy called Tommy out of the blue and was absolutely tremendous.

Any thoughts?

Here's a thought. No.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #109: Feb 07, 2016 06:59:43 pm

Any thoughts?

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #110: Feb 07, 2016 07:07:26 pm

call for the men is white coats
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #111: Feb 07, 2016 07:50:16 pm

Any thoughts?

There's a line between bravery and stupidity and I think you've crossed it with this idea. It's ok you'll wake up in the morning and laugh about it.

The only reason to get Terry to Anfield would be to stick him somewhere that he has to watch us winning all those trophies while we sing "John Terry's Ma" at him.
      DanRed44
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts | 18 
      Reply #112: Feb 07, 2016 08:27:19 pm
      they are so much better than us that they are above us on goal difference. Too many people listening to Martinez's hysterical hype.
      come on, please, even the most passionate fan can see the blue noses are a far better team than us at present, they are the second highest scorers in the league, and play a decent brand of football, and are very entertaining, be interesting to see which of our current crop of flops you think are good enough to make the toffees line up FATKOPITE?
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #113: Feb 07, 2016 08:39:59 pm

come on, please, even the most passionate fan can see the blue noses are a far better team than us at present, they are the second highest scorers in the league, and play a decent brand of football, and are very entertaining, be interesting to see which of our current crop of flops you think are good enough to make the toffees line up FATKOPITE?

Christ. They're ahead of us on F***ing goal difference in a season where we've had over half of our players missing at times including our three best players having injuries that have kept them out for lengthy spells. They're a "far better team" yet they're on the same points total as us? How does that work exactly? Everton are the most overrated cu*ts in the league. With the way everyone waxes lyrical about them you'd think they were pushing for fourth, but they've had very few injuries to contend with while we've had half of our squad missing and they're level on points with us...

DanRed44
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts | 18 
      Reply #114: Feb 07, 2016 08:56:25 pm

Christ. They're ahead of us on f**king goal difference in a season where we've had over half of our players missing at times including our three best players having injuries that have kept them out for lengthy spells. They're a "far better team" yet they're on the same points total as us? How does that work exactly? Everton are the most overrated cu*ts in the league. With the way everyone waxes lyrical about them you'd think they were pushing for fourth, but they've had very few injuries to contend with while we've had half of our squad missing and they're level on points with us...
      Chill man, I said a far better team AT PRESENT, if you disagree with that and think we are a good side then wake up pal, once we get Sturridge and Coutinho fit I have no doubt we will pick up and hopefully overtake them mugs, but just giving an honest opinion.

Quick Reply